Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,229 members, 7,811,632 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:13 PM

How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City (21919 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie's Epistle Of Garbage By Femi Fani-kayode / Garbage Pile Up On Abeokuta Roads, Waste Company Blames Diesel Price / You Cannot Treat People Like Garbage And Worship God - Zahra Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by Nobody: 8:11am On Nov 28, 2018
Port Harcourt has been a garbage city from the days of Peter Odili. People that haven't lived or travelled there will blame the current Governor, Wike

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by maxzzo1(m): 8:13am On Nov 28, 2018
All this fools writing rubbish is Oyigbo LGA Port Harcourt Moreover that road is very road bad and federal govt is using it 4 politics why didn't this monkey writer show d road for Nigerians to see....
Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by nnaeyes6: 8:15am On Nov 28, 2018
Thank God Lagos APC has not managed their waste.
So haters of Wike projects should process out from here
Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by DrayZee: 8:15am On Nov 28, 2018
maasoap:

Shame on you for writing this. This is not the way forward in this country.
He is not completely wrong. The way the news was reported would make it seem as if Port Harcourt is the dirtiest city in Nigeria, which is clearly false. Sure some areas may be dirty, but calling it "Garbage City" is extreme exaggeration and out of line.
Then again, I think the report is just a radical attempt at ensuring that something is done quickly to ensure every part of Port Harcourt becomes as clean as it should be.
Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by gare(f): 8:15am On Nov 28, 2018
Ekinematics:

If ph became a gabbage city from Wike's tenure then you are just blind. Ph became dirty since the second tenure of odili and has progressively worsen.

PH had being dirty since 1995 when I first came to PH, that was when they lost the status of a Garden city, so dont blame Wike, they all have failed to maintain the status, PH needs a comprehensive waste disposal policy.

1 Like

Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by Nobody: 8:16am On Nov 28, 2018
OkaNaUbe:
Port Harcourt has been a garbage city from the days of Peter Odili. People that haven't lived or travelled there will blame the current Governor, Wike

Fact!
Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by maxzzo1(m): 8:16am On Nov 28, 2018
donc26:
shut up. Do you stay in PH. come down and see how our once loved city has turned to a garbage city all thanks to woke the wicked and evil governor
Ameachi boy spotted where in PH is garbage name it?
Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by cool318(m): 8:16am On Nov 28, 2018
MXrap:
I don't have time for trolls. Please go and take your own pictures and prove your point. No city in this world is 100% clean, so why do you expect PH to be 100% clean.

This is the Mediocrity which politicians exploit in Nigerians , what is the duty of the Govt if not to provide basic roads ,infrastructures. They don't need applaud if they do that . Gaddafi of Libya once said that his parents will sleep outside until all Libyans have roof over their heads .
Can any of these Wicked thieves from President to Governors make such declaration .

YOU were lucky to be snapping inside your car cos if you stepped outside to be a photographer at MILE 1 even by 5pm , you will have a different story to narrate .

DEVELOPMENT of a locality cuts across every facets

1 Like

Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by brodalokie: 8:17am On Nov 28, 2018
nengibo:

Its people like you that will never see anything good about Rivers people but when you ask to leave, you will cry foul, Oyigbo is now filled with indegens, Slaughter market that is now dirty like uratta in aba is now filled with indegens, the problem is due to poor waste collection, those local waste collectors dispose the waste collected anywhere without regard, the city's indegens and residents need to change their attitude about pollution and the government should improve the collection and handing of waste

Why won't he leave? Unless something supernatural circumstance is holding him back there. I have seen a man who goes back to his town after two years of tourist life in 5 countries abroad. He gathers his certificates, international passport which he had just renewed for his next trip including other documents and set fire on them because he thinks there's no place like home. He now enjoys various supernatural miracles which includes lighten strikes, people correcting his formal way of life which seem so not simple and the promises of women and better things. He is stunned and amazed by all the experience and this has solidified his faith in God.
Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by Nobody: 8:22am On Nov 28, 2018
gare:

PH had being dirty since 1995 when I first came to PH, that was when they lost the status of a Garden city, so dont blame Wike, they all have failed to maintain the status, PH needs a comprehensive waste disposal policy.

Naa, as of 1995 PH was cleaner and saner than 98% of Nigerian cities. We know it's dirty now, but please don't exaggerate.
As of 1995 almost all the Rumus were still villages with bushes covering everywhere. Then there was nothing like hip of garbage on the center of the roads, nothing like bottle water or pure water. Ph then was 95% Rivers indigenes, not now that it's filled with Nigerians from every part of the country especially SE peeps looking for a better life.
It was clean and nice then. Not now.
Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by TommyAnthem(m): 8:23am On Nov 28, 2018
Don't mind the idiot, he could be one of those that gets Wike to pay his house rent, sponsor his marriage, pay hospital bill when his wife delivers, sponsor his mother's burial, sponsor his father's burial....etc there are lots of his kind in Rivers State. They can never see anything wrong in this government.
KingKingKing:

See what a black man here wrote!

and we wonder why Africa is a shit hole!

.a write up to call the state govt to attention is being seen as "politics" to this one!

What a pity, go buy sense biko

1 Like

Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by Nobody: 8:25am On Nov 28, 2018
nengibo:

Its people like you that will never see anything good about Rivers people but when you ask to leave, you will cry foul, Oyigbo is now filled with indegens, Slaughter market that is now dirty like uratta in aba is now filled with indegens, the problem is due to poor waste collection, those local waste collectors dispose the waste collected anywhere without regard, the city's indegens and residents need to change their attitude about pollution and the government should improve the collection and handing of waste

The waste management in our dear ph has been nonexistent in the last 18 years.
Everything is politics in Rivers state. What does Felix Obuah know about waste management that Wike had to give him the contract?
Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by gare(f): 8:30am On Nov 28, 2018
Ekinematics:

Naa, as of 1995 PH was cleaner and saner than 98% of Nigerian cities. We know it's dirty now, but please don't exaggerate.
As of 1995 almost all the Rumus were still villages with bushes covered everywhere. Then there was nothing like hip of gabbage on the center of the roads, nothing like bottle water or pure water. Ph then was 95% Rivers indigenes, not now that it's filled with Nigerians from every part of the country especially SE peeps looking for a better life.
It was clean and nice then. Not now.

I am not Exaggerating, is Diobu not part of Port Harcourt City, I am not talking of the Rumus.
Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by Nobody: 8:34am On Nov 28, 2018
gare:

I am not Exaggerating, is Diobu not part of Port Harcourt City, I am not talking of the Rumus.

As of 1995 it was more serene than 98% of Nigerian cities, but presently even in the SS PH doesn't rank in the top 5 cleanest cities, not to talk of Nigeria as a whole.
Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by gare(f): 8:36am On Nov 28, 2018
Ekinematics:

As of 1995 it was more serene than 98% of Nigerian cities, but presently even in the SS PH doesn't rank in the top 5 cleanest cities, not to talk of Nigeria as a whole.

I just asked you a question? is Diobu not part of Port harcourt then ?
Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by Nobody: 8:38am On Nov 28, 2018
gare:

I just asked you a question? is Diobu not part of Port harcourt then ?

Like I said earlier, even with Diobu, ph was cleaner than 98% of Nigerian cities then.

Every city in Nigeria has its dirty area then and even now.

1 Like

Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by gare(f): 8:41am On Nov 28, 2018
Ekinematics:

Like I said earlier, even with Diobu, ph was cleaner than 98% of Nigerian cities then.

Every city in Nigeria has its dirty area then and even now.

No, you are wrong on that, I disagree with you, when I said 1995, the place I meant was Diobu because that was the first place I resided whi;le processing my admission in Uniport when i first came into the city, so i know what I am talking about
Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by macaranta(m): 8:41am On Nov 28, 2018
myners007:
Media! They will not relent in their biased report on certain issues. They can convince the gullible and make them believe that Bubu is a saint who has not stolen a penny in his entire lifetime. Port Harcourt as a city is not as degraded as portrayed in this write up. I think maybe someone is try to discredit the tremendous sustainable projects Wike as embarked on since becoming the governor.
Don't mind the idiot reporter, he should go and take pictures of the normal port harcourt, there is Obibo and not port harcourt
Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by Nobody: 8:49am On Nov 28, 2018
gare:

No, you are wrong on that, I disagree with you, when I said 1995, the place I meant was Diobu because that was the first place I resided whi;le processing my admission in Uniport when i first came into the city, so i know what I am talking about

I believe you know that ph is not made of Diobu alone?
Put on your thinking cap and understand me. Even in NY today there are places that are dirty. What I'm giving you is a holistic view of the entire city, not a section.
Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by Okawene: 9:02am On Nov 28, 2018
myners007:
Media! They will not relent in their biased report on certain issues. They can convince the gullible and make them believe that Bubu is a saint who has not stolen a penny in his entire lifetime. Port Harcourt as a city is not as degraded as portrayed in this write up. I think maybe someone is try to discredit the tremendous sustainable projects Wike as embarked on since becoming the governor.
You lack understanding...what is subject matter here.
Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by uyom889: 9:24am On Nov 28, 2018
me weak oh
Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by Ijenwa231: 9:27am On Nov 28, 2018
gare:

Creek Road is Port Harcourt, I was referring to the Picture, if the OP had uploaded a Picture of Creek road fine with me, But Obigbo (Oyigbio is not part of the Garden City, if you are based in PH you should know that

Your hatred to the Igbo people living in Oyigbo keeps increasing.
Oyigbo,Okirika,Eleme,Igwurita are all Port Capital Territory. Oyigbo is sharing boundary with Obia Akpor. What affect Port Harcourt affects Oyigbo
Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by ZiggyMr(m): 9:29am On Nov 28, 2018
gare:

OP this your post is very misleading, there's a difference between Port Harcourt and Oyigbo, the garden city status was just for the city of Port Harcourt, as the name implies 'Garden city' not garden state.

Oyigbo is almost and hour drive from Port Harcourt, mind you I am against the both places not kept clean, but you should carry out proper investigation and inform your readers with the right information

Oyigbo to port isn't up to an hour, except u put the bad road into consideration. Oyigbo is unfit for human habitation, when it rains OMG grin
Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by gare(f): 9:45am On Nov 28, 2018
Ijenwa231:

Your hatred to the Igbo people living in Oyigbo keeps increasing.
Oyigbo,Okirika,Eleme,Igwurita are all Port Capital Territory. Oyigbo is sharing boundary with Obia Akpor. What affect Port Harcourt affects Oyigbo

Please nobody is talking about hatred here, I don't even understand what you are talking and this has nothing to do with the ibos
Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by Caseless: 9:47am On Nov 28, 2018
myners007:
you're lost and deluded.

1 Like

Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by Nigeriadondie: 11:28am On Nov 28, 2018
Lifestone:

Bro Checkout Lagos, the jewel of APC. Waste management is a national disgrace to Nigeria
APC=PDP.
Let us vote Oby Ezekwesili
Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by maasoap(m): 2:44pm On Nov 28, 2018
DrayZee:

He is not completely wrong. The way the news was reported would make it seem as if Port Harcourt is the dirtiest city in Nigeria, which is clearly false. Sure some areas may be dirty, but calling it "Garbage City" is extreme exaggeration and out of line.
Then again, I think the report is just a radical attempt at ensuring that something is done quickly to ensure every part of Port Harcourt becomes as clean as it should be.

He was completely wrong because he believed that the report was targeting Wike whereas report mentioned Port Harcourt as garden city between 1980 and 1990.
Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by TommyAnthem(m): 3:41pm On Nov 28, 2018
101% Correct, I doff my hat for you, how I wish others can see from your own perspective.
cool318:
Definitely that's the Gospel Truth ,from Heaps of Garbage to gross insecurity ,killing and beheading ,Cultist groups seeking for supremacy and relevance in WIKE 'Govt and he is mute about all the happening, Mexican drug war type of shooting in broad daylight ,Snatching of phones,cutting off wrist for those that resist the robbery, small boys brandish L ethal metals and dare you to call the Police .

Rivers people ,behold Mr PROJECT (POS)
Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by AnthonyAk(m): 4:34pm On Nov 28, 2018
Ekinematics:

This one has never been to Ph. Tell me what city in Nigeria besides Lagos and Abj has multiple ethnicities than PH?

Lol I was born an raised in ph of course its multi ethnic but go an tip sand and say you want to start something and see how the locals will come out
Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by AnthonyAk(m): 5:05pm On Nov 28, 2018
nengibo:

Ph is garbage, I might as well be an indigine as I was born an raised there.

Garbage is the least of our worries, the locals never want anything good, always want something for nothing in the name of community.

I just call it how I see it, it's been in steady decline for 20 years Atleast goto lagos and you see change.

PH is Warri 2.0 all one needs to do is scratch the surface just a little bit
Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by AnthonyAk(m): 5:21pm On Nov 28, 2018
MXrap:
I don't have time for trolls. Please go and take your own pictures and prove your point. No city in this world is 100% clean, so why do you expect PH to be 100% clean.

I know you are a troll when your posting hotel presidential and said it's wike lol

Had you just turnt your camera to the right the abandoned mall, half completed for over a decade is right there. Another type of garbage in ph, empty half completed structures.

If you posted the fly over at Odili road, or the garrison to elelenwo road those are much better examples of wike.

Wike is working, he is the best thing to happen to that state but you haven't snapped any of wikes works.
Re: How Port Harcourt Went From Garden To Garbage City by AnthonyAk(m): 5:23pm On Nov 28, 2018
Focusmind:

Cosmopolitan, multi-ethnic and multi-cultural centers prospers more than cities inhabited mainly by natives. Check some of the cities in UK, US and other western Europe. Compare it with that of Eastern Europe inhabited by natives mainly.

Come to Nigeria, Cities like Lagos and Abuja are inhabited by mostly by people from other states. Check also multinational companies, you see Chinese, Indians, Europeans, Americans and Africa, all working together. Each respecting one another

Compare it with companies dominated by one section or natives, in fighting, same with states dominated by natives, clan clashes are very common.

I love multicultural settings and institutions. Check all the United Nations establishment, do you know what it takes to be employed as a professional staff there? The organizations works so efficiently with everybody being respected irrespective of your ethnic origin. You wont see any verbal abuse. You don't know what you will do the next person will find offensive. So, there is always a mutual respect.

I love staying in company of people from diverse background than staying with people from my own clan or ethnicity or religion.

Ph is diverse no doubt

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nine States, Other Commands Get New Police Commissioners / Yahaya Bello Welcomed To Kaduna By Crowd Of His Supporters / Justice Ugo Has Not Resigned – Appeal Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.