Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,885 members, 7,817,606 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:19 PM

Police Refused To Hand Over My Stolen Keke To Me After It Was Recovered - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Police Refused To Hand Over My Stolen Keke To Me After It Was Recovered (17110 Views)

How Police Refused To Shoot As Fulani Militias Wiped Plateau Community / Police Refused To Come As Robbers Attacked, They Have Killed My Husband / Police Auctions Stolen Range Rover In Port Harcourt After It Was Recovered (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Police Refused To Hand Over My Stolen Keke To Me After It Was Recovered by nextstep(m): 5:54pm On Nov 28, 2018
Nigeria Police... almost never do the right thing...

My sister, they are supposed to hand the stolen property over, but unfortunately in this Nigeria, you need to "bail out" your keke. In fact, I'm sure it was a ploy between both stations to collect money for doing their job. I'd suggest you beg and bring some more bail money. Don't involve lawyer, don't start pulling leg, because all it means is you will spend more money.

I try to understand it like this: they are barely compensated with salary for doing their job, and often times, the fuel and phone credit they use for their job comes out of their own pocket. If not for them your keke would be lost forever, so at least compensate them for even caring. If people did not give them small change (I know 30k is not small change, but I'm just saying), they would not care to recover any stolen goods.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Police Refused To Hand Over My Stolen Keke To Me After It Was Recovered by Ugosample(m): 5:55pm On Nov 28, 2018
Pavore9:
Get a lawyer involved.

somebody that cannot pay bribe to release her "Keke" is who will go and get lawyer?

no wonder

you are away from Nigeria so you don forget small as things happen there cheesy

1 Like

Re: Police Refused To Hand Over My Stolen Keke To Me After It Was Recovered by Chidizman(m): 5:55pm On Nov 28, 2018
Unfortunately you will get advice from kids on here.

Gone are the days when Nairaland used to be a quick solution forum.

Take a look at the kind of irrelevant comments being posted up there.

Crying shame!

1 Like

Re: Police Refused To Hand Over My Stolen Keke To Me After It Was Recovered by oka4ugoo: 5:57pm On Nov 28, 2018
You can and will get ur keke but on bond to produce same during trial to be tendered as an exhibit. Contact me via my email, I stay in Onitsha also.

3 Likes

Re: Police Refused To Hand Over My Stolen Keke To Me After It Was Recovered by thesicilian: 5:59pm On Nov 28, 2018
Lucifer66:

Seems like you haven't read news about how they beat and imprison lawyers.
You mean, baby lawyers?
Re: Police Refused To Hand Over My Stolen Keke To Me After It Was Recovered by hardeydara213(m): 5:59pm On Nov 28, 2018
Bros get a lawyer otherwise police will suck you die.... grin grin shocked

2 Likes

Re: Police Refused To Hand Over My Stolen Keke To Me After It Was Recovered by Celebgistz1: 5:59pm On Nov 28, 2018
Chidizman:
Unfortunately you will get advice from kids on here.

Gone are the days when Nairaland used to be a quick solution forum.

Take a look at the kind of irrelevant comments being posted up there.

Crying shame!

You just said it all. I went through the comments and all of them are saying thing that are meaningless.
Re: Police Refused To Hand Over My Stolen Keke To Me After It Was Recovered by jayextra(m): 6:00pm On Nov 28, 2018
Morbeta11:
Why are you doing Aka gum for them..... Roger them jooor...
Even after giving u clear narrations u couldnt comprehend...*Spits*
Re: Police Refused To Hand Over My Stolen Keke To Me After It Was Recovered by demmydy(m): 6:00pm On Nov 28, 2018
I tink u should call berekete family. Voice of the voiceless. Mr ordinary president can connect u with pple who will help u recover it in no time. TANK ME LATER

2 Likes

Re: Police Refused To Hand Over My Stolen Keke To Me After It Was Recovered by 6digitscomrade: 6:00pm On Nov 28, 2018
Karatum:
Please guys, I need your suggestions and opinions on this.

I reside in onitsha and here goes my story.

I bought a keke and gave it to a young guy on hire purchase. Unfortunately, the keke was stolen the same Sunday that the guy I gave it to - drove it home. Its a brand new keke. I went to the police to make entry about the stolen keke.

After about a week, I got a call from some police guys at Enugu state police command, that I should come down to Enugu state - as my keke was found somewhere in Nsukka. The police guys demanded that I come with 50k to 'bail out' the keke. Luckily for me, the keke was found same way it was stolen and also, the thief was caught too.

I sourced for money and went down to Enugu to bail out the recovered keke. After parting with 30k, I was handed over the keke and was asked to go to obosi station to write and sign that the keke has been found. The police guys from Enugu drove the suspect down to obosi (anambra state). According to them, that's the jurisdiction where the keke was stolen.

On getting to Obosi station, the police there demanded for some money and I told them that I had nothing left on me after parting away with 30k for the Enugu police guys. Next thing they did was that they decided to seize the keke, saying it will be "charged to court with the suspect".

My question is; Arent the police suppose to hand over a recovered property to a victim of theft? What do I do? I am very confused now as to next action to take.
bro ok let me think of something because I'm so so stunned because i feel u telling my story...Diz same shit happened to me about 14yrs ago but mine was a jincheng brand new bike..And i recovered it myself by luck after months....But somehow everything landed with the cops...The truth is u will get it but u will spend money...Even accident victims bail themselves from the police who were supposed to save them and if they get to the hospital the doctors who swore to save them will threaten to abandon them except miraculously they part with cash...

Don't get it twisted bro..I wish u can understand and i hope u will understand that i ain't saying it's right but an average nigerian doesn't and might never know what it's like living in a normal society...

Everyone in that country understands this...I feel ur pain trust me...But for peace to reign of whatever u av left just give them and put the misery behind u..

Don't let anyone mislead u..Even if u know a police man the best he can do for u is to reduce ur stress but u will still part with cash and inturn be in indebted to him..

I have seen it all bro...there is no honor amongst thieves..

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Police Refused To Hand Over My Stolen Keke To Me After It Was Recovered by Guyman02: 6:02pm On Nov 28, 2018
Report the matter to any popular lawyer in Onitsha who has access to the Police CP and can assembly journalists call a world media conference on the matter, the commissioner will quickly order the immediate release of your Keke to avoid a scandal.
Re: Police Refused To Hand Over My Stolen Keke To Me After It Was Recovered by showafrica(m): 6:02pm On Nov 28, 2018
I hope she didn't say nasty things to the police, I know how women behave when they want to prove a point.
Re: Police Refused To Hand Over My Stolen Keke To Me After It Was Recovered by Nobody: 6:05pm On Nov 28, 2018
alignacademy:

Thanks for sharing

The focus now should be to get your keke out, not necessarily thinking of riddles or wondering who is to blame.

Since you've posted here, let's hope a police-friendly Nairalander close to your area can reach out to you to assist.

(Ignore all the faceless beef and savagery that goes on here; the few Nairalanders I've met were quite friendly in the real world)

Another option would be to tap into your own network: who do you know that might know someone in the police there to intercede for you?

Remember: the issue isn't about right and wrong: it's about getting your keke back

Let us know how it goes...

Thanks sire. I will surely update the house on the progress of the matter
Re: Police Refused To Hand Over My Stolen Keke To Me After It Was Recovered by Talk2ndsure(m): 6:05pm On Nov 28, 2018
Had it been you said it before now.........Police wouldnt have extort you like that...You would have gone to Enugu police station with a lawyer..... Get a lawyer ........pls always seek for legal advice when you have dealings with police if not they will extort you so much..

1 Like

Re: Police Refused To Hand Over My Stolen Keke To Me After It Was Recovered by dreamworld: 6:05pm On Nov 28, 2018
Liftkid:
FALZ was right after all. brotherly, this is NIGERIA, everybody be lipsrsealed Naso ACCESS BANK PLC have vowed not to refund the money i mistakenly sent to a wrong bet9ja id while trying to fund my shop bet id, after bet9ja payment department authorized a reversal and quick teller reversed the money and sent a screenshot to my email as an evidence since 21 oct
My brother don't let bet9ja deceive u.
The money was paid to Bet9ja account. They also have the right to reverse the payment to your bank account
Re: Police Refused To Hand Over My Stolen Keke To Me After It Was Recovered by dude(m): 6:06pm On Nov 28, 2018
Karatum:

I bought a keke and gave it to a young guy on hire purchase. Unfortunately, the keke was stolen the same Sunday that the guy I gave it to - drove it home. Its a brand new keke. I went to the police to make entry about the stolen keke.

After about a week, I got a call from some police guys at Enugu state police command, that I should come down to Enugu state - as my keke was found somewhere in Nsukka. The police guys demanded that I come with 50k to 'bail out' the keke. Luckily for me, the keke was found same way it was stolen and also, the thief was caught too.

I sourced for money and went down to Enugu to bail out the recovered keke. After parting with 30k, I was handed over the keke and was asked to go to obosi station to write and sign that the keke has been found. The police guys from Enugu drove the suspect down to obosi (anambra state). According to them, that's the jurisdiction where the keke was stolen.

On getting to Obosi station, the police there demanded for some money and I told them that I had nothing left on me after parting away with 30k for the Enugu police guys. Next thing they did was that they decided to seize the keke, saying it will be "charged to court with the suspect".

My question is; Arent the police suppose to hand over a recovered property to a victim of theft? What do I do? I am very confused now as to next action to take.

Catch them on tape. Once it hits YouTube, its job done!!
Re: Police Refused To Hand Over My Stolen Keke To Me After It Was Recovered by Nobody: 6:07pm On Nov 28, 2018
Guyman02:
Report the matter to any popular lawyer in Onitsha who has access to the Police CP and can assembly journalists call a world media conference on the matter, the commissioner will quickly order the immediate release of your Keke to avoid a scandal.

Paying for services of a lawyer wont be easy for me now. I will do that when I raise the money. The keke will have to be there till I raise the money needed to get a lawyer. Thanks for the advice
Re: Police Refused To Hand Over My Stolen Keke To Me After It Was Recovered by id911(m): 6:09pm On Nov 28, 2018
Karatum:

You guys in Nigeria don't know how to make the Police work for you because even the educated ones allow the Law Enforcement Agents to treat them anyhow. Most Nigerians unfortunately are so ignorant about a lots of things and the way to go about it.

I have some issues with the Police recently when I reported a case, like your own, to them. The suspect was arrested through my help and my items recovered but the Police decided to play pranks by collecting my items and some 'other things' from the suspect then released the suspect without my knowledge and decided to informed me the suspect has escaped and there's nothing they can do about the matter again.

I left them and reported the case immediately to the IGP Desk in Abuja. I can tell you that within an hour of the report, I can't recall how many calls I received from the Police. The DPO of the station called and requested I see him immediately in his office. I went and he begged me to inform them in Abuja that the case has been settled after so much pleading with me. He gave my items to me immediately and sanctioned the subordinate right in front of me.

Mind you, I'm just an ordinary Nigerian like you and you may even have connections than me

4 Likes

Re: Police Refused To Hand Over My Stolen Keke To Me After It Was Recovered by chukwuibuipob: 6:09pm On Nov 28, 2018
sad angry angry sad angry angry Bastards. @ Karatum, go to the state police command and report to the provost, sec, CP office, etc.They'll release ur keke sharp sharp.Bastards

1 Like

Re: Police Refused To Hand Over My Stolen Keke To Me After It Was Recovered by Sicilyjoe: 6:10pm On Nov 28, 2018
The question should be how much are they requesting from u, because u didn't mention any amount, at least from there u can bargain with them, just like enugu branch ask u for 50k and gave them 30k
Re: Police Refused To Hand Over My Stolen Keke To Me After It Was Recovered by Sikay19(m): 6:11pm On Nov 28, 2018
If you are not in a hurry to get back your keke. you can contact Joint legal action aid(JLAA) on Facebook. narrate this your sympathetic story to them which I'm very optimistic that your case shall be handled with due intelligence.

3 Likes

Re: Police Refused To Hand Over My Stolen Keke To Me After It Was Recovered by ehmmy11(m): 6:11pm On Nov 28, 2018
Welcome to the zoo grin
The baboons make me scared embarassed

If you know you know wink
Re: Police Refused To Hand Over My Stolen Keke To Me After It Was Recovered by Tizu(m): 6:12pm On Nov 28, 2018
Karatum:

Thanks, but am a girl not guy. Immediately they noticed the owner of the keke was a lady, they started acting weird.

Dey show interest for your congo?
Re: Police Refused To Hand Over My Stolen Keke To Me After It Was Recovered by SmartMindsFx: 6:13pm On Nov 28, 2018
Try your luck via these channels

To file a complaint against an official of the Nigeria Police Force (NPF), the following channels are available 24/7.

They are:

1. Website (http://npf.gov.ng/complaint/)

2. Phone numbers (08057000001, 08057000002)

3. SMS and WhatsApp (08057000003)

4. Twitter (@PoliceNG_PCRRU)

5. Facebook (www.facebook.com/policepcrru)

6. Email (policepcrru@gmail.com)

7. BBM (5BA2B5DE)

All these avenues have been made really user-friendly and available all day.

3 Likes

Re: Police Refused To Hand Over My Stolen Keke To Me After It Was Recovered by IbrahimDamola: 6:13pm On Nov 28, 2018
Karatum:

That's how the nigeria police works, Enugu don collect their share. Please look for 20k (dem sef wan chop) and 'settle' obosi police or they'll let your Keke rot in their station in the pretext of 'charging the suspect to court with the exhibit'. I'm sure you saw other vehicles rotting in their station.

Whenever a police man see a 'police case', he smells money. The police station is their 'farm' and you are their 'customer'.

Please look for 20k, put 15,000 in an envelop, go directly to the DPO and exchange pleasantries, tell him about the issue and how you've suffered so much losses, drop the envelop on his table and request that he tells his boys to release your keke. If he complains, you can add 3-4K, and tell him you are keeping 1k-2k for your transport. The idea is to make him believe he has milked you dry.

Rule of the Thumb: Never start with settling the low-ranked police officers, it is expensive as you'll keep 'settling' till you get to Oga DPO. Start from the top with the DPO.

Else, Corporal go collect, refer you to Inspector, Inspector go collect, refer you ASP, ASP go collect, come carry you go see Oga DPO, Oga DPO sef go ask for him Elephant share, sotey you sef go come frustrate. But when you start with DPO at the top, once you settle am, he will give his orders, once he gives his orders, the junior korofos must obey. Whatever you decide to give the korofos they'll take as they'll have no choice anymore.

No junior ranked korofo will take you to go see DPO until he has collected his share if you start down below with the junior officers.

NLders should pay me for this free lecture. I don see 35 before I reach for 25years. Chei this country. grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Police Refused To Hand Over My Stolen Keke To Me After It Was Recovered by ccollins(m): 6:14pm On Nov 28, 2018
Liftkid:
FALZ was right after all. brotherly, this is NIGERIA, everybody be lipsrsealed Naso ACCESS BANK PLC have vowed not to refund the money i mistakenly sent to a wrong bet9ja id while trying to fund my shop bet id, after bet9ja payment department authorized a reversal and quick teller reversed the money and sent a screenshot to my email as an evidence since 21 oct
you all should know you need lawyers, contact me as you will need to get a court order that will compel those embattled banks to release same money
Re: Police Refused To Hand Over My Stolen Keke To Me After It Was Recovered by lilachiever(m): 6:15pm On Nov 28, 2018
Karatum:

Paying for services of a lawyer wont be easy for me now. I will do that when I raise the money. The keke will have to be there till I raise the money needed to get a lawyer. Thanks for the advice

Do not bother seeking the services of a lawyer, that'll cost you more money.

You can settle them with 50k or below. I don't support their support practices, but my advise is just to save you money and stress...

After all like Falz sang "This is Nigeria ", nothing works right... We can only pray for it to get better.

Shalom
Re: Police Refused To Hand Over My Stolen Keke To Me After It Was Recovered by Alepa(m): 6:15pm On Nov 28, 2018
Karatum:

No .theyre not supposed to hand over a recovered property to you because they need it as evidence in court .
It’s the court that should return your property to you .
But . This is Nigeria. You only need to “settle” the police men and they will return it to you .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Police Refused To Hand Over My Stolen Keke To Me After It Was Recovered by rali123(f): 6:16pm On Nov 28, 2018
I once misplaced my purse too(in Lagos though) , a police officer called and when I got to the station, they asked for money, I just left the station, went to the bank and block my ATM...

My dear, tip them or get a Lawyer, you will pay either way.
Re: Police Refused To Hand Over My Stolen Keke To Me After It Was Recovered by Pavore9: 6:17pm On Nov 28, 2018
Ugosample:

somebody that cannot pay bribe to release her "Keke" is who will go and get lawyer?

no wonder

you are away from Nigeria so you don forget small as things happen there cheesy

I no forget o! cheesy
Re: Police Refused To Hand Over My Stolen Keke To Me After It Was Recovered by Boss20: 6:17pm On Nov 28, 2018
Obosi/Onitsha police guys are the worst i have seen, very pathetic lots.

I had a terrible experience with them in 2016. I was driving to Owerri from Delta and the stopped me around that upper iweka axis, searched my vehicle documents and everything was complete. They refused giving me back my vehicle documents only to start complaining that i signed the change of ownership document on 18th and the court affidavit is showing 19th. What happened was that we submitted the vehicle documents in a court in PH to sign the change of ownership stuff and they asked me to come back the next day for it which i did. This is the reason they seized my vehicle and took it to Okpoko station all day. They didn't release the car to me till i paid them #15000 very late in the evening and i couldn't go to Owerri that day again. The car dealer that sold it to me called them and explained everything but all fell on deaf ear of the wicked police men.

I saw the particular one that masterminded the whole stuff sometime in 2017 when i was plying that route again, i asked if he could remember me and he said no. That is how they keep creating unknown enemies for themselves in the name of police.

Its only God that will save Nigerian police.

Sorry dear, try as much as you can to get your keke from them even if it means paying them cuz they are just there to victimize people at the slightest opportunity.

This is Nigeria

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Police Refused To Hand Over My Stolen Keke To Me After It Was Recovered by lilachiever(m): 6:20pm On Nov 28, 2018
Limafaf

But why is everyone putting "This is Nigeria" in their replies na...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Slain Lagos Lawyer, Bolanle Raheem Was Expecting Twins - Husband / IGP Orders Nationwide Arrest Of Persons Inciting Violence. Take note e-warriors / Army Accused Of Causing Disappearance Of Thousands In North-East (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.