Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,610 members, 7,809,234 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:14 AM

You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele (30830 Views)

The President Of CONMEBOL Honors Lionel Messi With The ‘Baton Of Football’ / Juventus May Explore Possibility Of Pairing Messi With Ronaldo / Lionel Messi With His Wife And Sons In Cute Family Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by LesbianBoy(m): 1:33pm On Dec 06, 2018
Cedarwealth:
I have seen the video clips of these top legends, Messi would have outclassed all of them even in their time. That is the problem Ronaldo has, if he had played in a different time than Messi, he would comfortably sit on the top tier with the legends. But for Messi that is causing people to overlook some of the great things he has been doing. Messi is the god of soccer, and i bet you someday the champions league will be renamed after him, "LIONEL MESSI LEAGUE OF CHAMPIONS".

Oga go and sleep! Deep down you know who the king of champions league is and who it should be renamed after.

Well for those who don't know. It's the one and only

King CR7

1 Like

Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by zudozz: 1:40pm On Dec 06, 2018
Pele is seeek in da head! No one has ever been as good as Messi.. not to talk of been better! Only Ronaldo da lima came close but Messi d greatest![b][/b]

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by Princedapace(m): 1:41pm On Dec 06, 2018
I respect u sir, but I will always choose Messi anytime, any day.

Any ways, if u are interested in learning how to earn money online, kindly check out my profile and read my thread on how I make money online.

Freelancing is growing all over the world. It remains one of the best ways to earn side or full time income. To do well as a freelancer, u must learn competitive skill, learn to brand your self, package your brand and send out compelling proposals..
Well, I can teach u all these if u are interested. Check out my profile and read my Thread on how I make money freelancing.
Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by Walehelt(m): 1:41pm On Dec 06, 2018
@Pele again hahahaha, in that 1000 goals you must know that Pele included goals he scored in Sunday league games playing against family and friends. In simple words some of Pele's goals were not scored in official games about 300+ of his goals were against family and friends.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by chimex001(m): 1:43pm On Dec 06, 2018
Dee60:
Football was much easier in Pele's days!

The old man should stop making this kind of comparison and let the fans judge.

To me, Messi is a lot better than Pele. The kind of passes, goals and assists you see fro Messi has not been seen with any other player.
You will never grow to be an old man.....Amen
Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by Uglymugg: 1:43pm On Dec 06, 2018
gurunlocker:

Pele actually scored 727 goals or so if you remove those goals he scored in when he was in the Armed Forces which I think shouldn't count.

Why don't you remove his world cup title too so you can bring him down to messi's level.

1 Like

Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by peterd53(m): 1:44pm On Dec 06, 2018
Ikem11:

Do you know soccer rating is Based on competition? How many great players play in time of Messi? Only cr7. Compare to when Ronaldinho. Kaka, iniasta, Zidane and many was counting head to head at once... Very confusing to know who is top.... But Messi time it's easy to pick Messi cos no other player makes magic in his time of play

Guy you’re so funny. D Zidane Nd dinho time weh a defender(canavaro) who’s not as good as Ramos or Thiago Silva win ballon d’or. Inesta, Wesley.s,xavi,Robben,Suarez will win ballon d’or during dat era . If you think zidane will win ballon d’or during messi era, den you’re on a long thing

1 Like

Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by kokomilala(m): 1:46pm On Dec 06, 2018
Pele was voted the greatest footballer of the last century by FIFA in 1999.Those who doubt Pele's achievements as the greatest have a very poor sense of history. Before 1958,Brazil had never won the World Cup.In Sweden '58,one 17-yr old guy took the world by storm,even scored in the final-Mbape would do it 60 years later-as Brazil won her first mundial.
Four yrs later ,in Chile'62,Brazil won the World Cup again because Pele was part of the team.However,in England'66, in the course of the competition, Pele was injured and England won it.
Like a re-energized bull,in Mexico'70, Brazil blew everyone apart to lift the World Cup for the third time.That Brazilian team has been described by FIFA as the greatest World Cup side ever.Pele scored a very difficult header against a very strong Italian team in the final. They thrashed Italy 4-1.The world would wait for 60 yrs to have a semblance of that kind of score line,as France dispatched Croatia 4-2 in Russia 2018.
So,Pele set himself in the stars as the finest footballer of the last century. A 3-time World Cup winner.
Brazil would wait 24 yrs before the could lift it again in USA '94.
In all these, one cannot doubt the credentials of Pele as a sporting icon.Messi is a great in his own right and generation,but Pele's achievements span generations.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by HopeAlive14(m): 1:53pm On Dec 06, 2018
latsy:

Messi is a gown adult.

Sure, maybe I should have said "older" professionals.
Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by yinkson(m): 1:53pm On Dec 06, 2018
ITbomb:
In that case Okocha is better than Messi
Outrightly
Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by odizeey(m): 1:53pm On Dec 06, 2018
peterd53:

Guy you’re so funny. D Zidane Nd dinho time weh a defender(canavaro) who’s not as good as Ramos or Thiago Silva win ballon d’or. Inesta, Wesley.s,xavi,Robben,Suarez will win ballon d’or during dat era . If you think zidane will win ballon d’or during messi era, den you’re on a long thing
cannavaro won world best not balon d or.
I no sure say u watch that era. They had d best defenders. If those type of defenders were still around dem messi n ororo for dey stay sideline for weeks. Messi will never forget what Ashley Cole n co did to him against chelsea.
That era was star studded. Leave story.
Why robben no win am for that era, xavi n iniesta were practically unknown then. Leave story
Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by femi4: 1:53pm On Dec 06, 2018
alsudan:
Messi is not even the best player ever from Argentina. Messi should be compared with Pele when he wins 3 world cups and scores over a thousand career goals. Pele remains the GOAT.
And to think it was more difficult to score then where strikers were not protected

1 Like

Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by Larryslim(m): 1:53pm On Dec 06, 2018
This news is old and stale now!
Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by Niorte: 1:54pm On Dec 06, 2018
mezarddinny:
pele dey mad, he thinks the stupid defenders he faced are the same with the strong and powerful ones messi has faced. No defender of pele's time was as good as cahill, even though cahill is not good
Are you for real? There were better defenders back then than now.

Just recently, which present defenders can match these ones: Cafu, Hierro, Maldini, Nesta, Stam, Roberto Carlos, Thuram to mention but a few.

2 Likes

Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by Xkalaban(m): 1:55pm On Dec 06, 2018
gurunlocker:
grin grin grin grin

Sorry, Messi don't argue with people about who the best is.

You've used your own time, just STFU and enjoy the moment.

He's talking about him using just one leg. Maybe he hasn't noticed that it is easier for players who their strong leg is right to easily use left as a weak foot.

But it's hard for those who their strong foot is left to use right undecided

Messi is short, so scoring goals with head will be hard. Moreover, only person that stays inside the box and wait for pass from others score head goals. Messi create chances and also score grin grin

My brother I wonder how Messi will now do the corner kick and still use his head to score or be the playmaker from outside the box in open play and still be in the box sametime waiting on a crossed ball to nod in.

Pele just lost some of my respect for him saying all this unnecessary trash. Even if he thinks Messi can't be compared to him, he should not start running his mouth like he's pained. Great people let others argue on their behalf and not the other way round.

Why haven't Messi come out to say players like Hazard, Mo Salah, Modric etc should not be compared to him cos he's better than them. I think deep down the old man's heart there's a burning envy for Messi cos he's simply the best of all times. Period!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by chuchill7: 1:56pm On Dec 06, 2018
Congrats to all my yesterdays subscriber , we keep winning , 100% grantee, call or whatsApp too confirm .

Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by odizeey(m): 1:58pm On Dec 06, 2018
kokomilala:
Pele was voted the greatest footballer of the last century by FIFA in 1999.Those who doubt Pele's achievements as the greatest have a very poor sense of history. Before 1958,Brazil had never won the World Cip.In Sweden '58.one 17-yr old guy took the world by storm,even scored in the final-Mbape would do it 60 yes later-as Brazil won her first mundial.
Four yes later ,in Chile'62,Brazil won the World Cup again because Pele was part of the team.However,in England'66, in the course of the competition, Pele was injured and England won it.
Like a reenergized bull,in Mexico'70, Brazil blew everyone apart to lift the World Cup for the third time.That Brazilian team has been described by FIFA as the greatest World Cup side ever.Pele scored a very difficult header against a very string Italian team in the final. They thrashed Italy 4-1.The world would wait for 60 yrs to have a semblance of that kind of score line,as France dispatched Croatia 4-2 in Russia 2018.
So,Pele set himself in the stars as the finest footballer of the last century. A 3-time World Cup winner.
In all these, one cannot doubt the credentials of Pele as a sporting icon.Messi is a great in his own right and generation,but Pele's achievements span generations.
bro that's our problem. We quickly forget. Watch how the achievements of messi and cr7 will be downplayed wen dey retire

2 Likes

Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by Nobody: 2:00pm On Dec 06, 2018
mediaNGR:

Source: https://www.mediahelm.com.ng/2018/12/you-cant-compare-messi-with-me-says-pele.html

Pele, these days football is professional not your type of medium foitball
Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by peterd53(m): 2:03pm On Dec 06, 2018
odizeey:
cannavaro won world best not balon d or.
I no sure say u watch that era. They had d best defenders. If those type of defenders were still around dem messi n ororo for dey stay sideline for weeks. Messi will never forget what Ashley Cole n co did to him against chelsea.
That era was star studded. Leave story.
Why robben no win am for that era, xavi n iniesta were practically unknown then. Leave story

Wetin Ashley cole do am? FYI zidane won d ballon d’or wen he was ripe. Robben,inesta and xavi became ripe during messi era. Get your fact right boy about cannavaro nt winning ballon d’or
Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by 0monnak0da: 2:05pm On Dec 06, 2018
These days the game favours the striker so one would expect even better from strikers

When Pele played there was no back pass rule.
So defenders could pass the ball to the goal keeper and the keepers could pick it up with their hands.
These days that is not allowed.

Someone said there was no offside rule when Pele played but that is wrong too in fact the offside rule has again been modified to favour attackers so the issue of an offside player who is not interfering with play not counting as offside is a new thing which favours the offensive player

In 1990 denial of an obvious goal scoring opportunity became a red card offence
In those days you rarely saw anyone sent off for a single tackle not to talk of handball as in the case of Uruguay Ghana
You never saw goalkeepers sent off for denying goal scoring opportunities
it was also in 1990 that the offside law changed to allow an inline attacker to be onside previously he had to be behind to be onside if inline with the defender then that was considered offside
Take some time to think of the implications of this for a striker's goal tally each season. Previously to be onside the striker must be closer to his own goal that the last player NOT on the same line
1n 1998 fierce tackle from behind became a red card offence This allows Messi to look good but in Maradona's time he would have been hacked down routinely

In that era many players lost their careers due to the brutality of the defenders and poor protection from refereees.
Pele was brutalized in the 1966 World Cup

FIFA mad a lot of changes with the purpose of increasing scoring and giving the game greater appeal especially in the US

The actual football is different. In those days it was made of real LEATHER which meant that during a game the ball could increase in weight by absorbing water if it was raining or wet
With the introduction of VAR one would question whether we are comparing the same thing but for me who witnessed the introduction of the back pass rule I thing it made a huge difference. I also think defenders are better protected and more red cards are issued

Overall the game has changed so much to favour attackers and make them look better and any comparison must take account of those changes which are not trivial

I have seen Messi play and Maradona so that is an easier comparison.

For Pele there really is not enough TV footage to make a fair comparison and we can only go on the accounts of those who were old enough to have watched him play

It is also important to pay credit to other greats of Pele's era namely George Best and Eusebio. Those were truly great players from all accounts.

I think Messi's story will always be marred by his World Cup lack of success. It is not as if he plays for Chad or Greece.

The real comparison that should be made is between Maradona and Messi. Those old enough to remember know that Maradona was without doubt the greatest player of HIS era and was a leader. That leadership is what gives him the edge over Messi. He also played at a time when back pass was allowed. He also suffered very brutal attacks from defenders which modern attackers do not face .
His performance in the World cup of 1990 is unforgettable for those old enough to remember.Argentina got to the Final off his back and for me he was a better all round better player

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by freshdude99(m): 2:09pm On Dec 06, 2018
petux:
Pele on some cheap drugs.Messi left leg is better than you entire career..
Really? Idomie generation

1 Like

Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by owowa145(m): 2:09pm On Dec 06, 2018
That is becos, Ronaldo is in a class of his and future well performing greats in his class, will compared to him.
Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by mozona(m): 2:11pm On Dec 06, 2018
true talk
Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by Hoodbilonia: 2:12pm On Dec 06, 2018
fuc u
im t.o.n.y
of
new
york
Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by bigt2(m): 2:15pm On Dec 06, 2018
Cedarwealth:
I have seen the video clips of these top legends, Messi would have outclassed all of them even in their time. That is the problem Ronaldo has, if he had played in a different time than Messi, he would comfortably sit on the top tier with the legends. But for Messi that is causing people to overlook some of the great things he has been doing. Messi is the god of soccer, and i bet you someday the champions league will be renamed after him, "LIONEL MESSI LEAGUE OF CHAMPIONS".
What is this one saying
Abi UEFA Cristiano League? tongue

1 Like

Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by tico1212(m): 2:15pm On Dec 06, 2018
mezarddinny:
pele dey mad, he thinks the stupid defenders he faced are the same with the strong and powerful ones messi has faced. No defender of pele's time was as good as cahill, even though cahill is not good

You dey mind am? Den wey b say one leg over all defenders don dey ground compared to now wey dem dey aggressive and ready to break leg
Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by yinkson(m): 2:17pm On Dec 06, 2018
kokomilala:
Pele was voted the greatest footballer of the last century by FIFA in 1999.Those who doubt Pele's achievements as the greatest have a very poor sense of history. Before 1958,Brazil had never won the World Cip.In Sweden '58.one 17-yr old guy took the world by storm,even scored in the final-Mbape would do it 60 yes later-as Brazil won her first mundial.
Four yes later ,in Chile'62,Brazil won the World Cup again because Pele was part of the team.However,in England'66, in the course of the competition, Pele was injured and England won it.
Like a reenergized bull,in Mexico'70, Brazil blew everyone apart to lift the World Cup for the third time.That Brazilian team has been described by FIFA as the greatest World Cup side ever.Pele scored a very difficult header against a very string Italian team in the final. They thrashed Italy 4-1.The world would wait for 60 yrs to have a semblance of that kind of score line,as France dispatched Croatia 4-2 in Russia 2018.

That's all, thanku
Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by tony5(m): 2:21pm On Dec 06, 2018
Pele Is Right,messi Is Not A Complete Player By The Virtue Of His Development And Even He Has Not Made The List Of Legends, Pele Played Football During The Crude Era. Won World Cup For His Country @ 17,the Greatest Achievement Of Every Legend Lies With His Country And Not Club. Pele Achievement Isn't About His Football Club But His Country. In Your Lifes Don't Ever And Ever Compare Messi With Pele,messi Is Barca Legend As Far As Goals And Stainless Trophies Is Concerned. Pele Will Continue To Be A Legend,so Skillful To The Extent That The Ball Does Not Touch The Ground Called Jinga Style. Finally Before Saying Nonsense With That Your Shrinked Brain Find Out More About Pele.

1 Like

Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by Geesaintagape: 2:26pm On Dec 06, 2018
Pele remains greatest we all know
Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by Xavage7(m): 2:26pm On Dec 06, 2018
zudozz:
Pele is seeek in da head! No one has ever been as good as Messi.. not to talk of been better! Only Ronaldo da lima came close but Messi d greatest![b][/b]
I disagree... Cr7 better than delima anyday
Do you have any idea of how football has evolved...
Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by stanliwise(m): 2:27pm On Dec 06, 2018
Bloooody:
As much as I respect the great Pele.
You're a fool for what you just said.
If we were to put you and Messi in the field with both of you at a young age I can bet seun mother's life that messi will destroy you without "messi"
You are in for a surprise bro. I don't know your age but get videos of pele and you will not underrate him. Messi for me is an ultimate player and good all round even though he never liftef the world cup.
Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by 0monnak0da: 2:28pm On Dec 06, 2018
Take a look at this clip in 1992 before the back pass rule

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX2HcvMkOiA

It was not that long ago

The rule makes a huge difference and favours the strike

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Governor Udom Visits Super Eagles, Promises $10,000 Per Goal Against Cameroon / Luis Suarez Gets New Tattoo Of Goal Celebration (Photos) / 'Sterling’s 1-Year-Old Son Strikes The Ball Cleaner Than Iwobi' - Twitter User

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.