Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,354 members, 7,954,420 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 06:42 PM

You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele - Sports (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele (31316 Views)

The President Of CONMEBOL Honors Lionel Messi With The ‘Baton Of Football’ / Juventus May Explore Possibility Of Pairing Messi With Ronaldo / Lionel Messi With His Wife And Sons In Cute Family Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by Nobody: 9:45pm On Dec 06, 2018
Foodforthought:

Counter which point? Oga , in what way or area is Messi better than Pele. 1000 goals, 3 world cups...he was never a false 9 like Messi was early on in his career. Go and tell your GOAT to win the copa America first. Maradona single handedly carried arg to world cup win. Pele and Maradona are the greatest of all time. You can't compare Messi to this men,unless you're a typical barca fan. I never mentioned Rinaldo.
Even Cr7 has won euro with Portugal.
maradona single-handedly scored Argentinas three goals in the final of 1986 too abi. Yeye dey smell. These retards should know it takes a team to win a trophy. No matter how good you are, if you play with 10 teammates who act idiotic on the pitch, you won't reach anywhere. Higuain wey dem dash one on one three times wey play everything go throw-in nkor. Abegii, you dey talk like sey you nor dey watch ball. Whether na livescores you dey read
Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by HenryInno1(m): 9:45pm On Dec 06, 2018
grin grin grin
KendrickAyomide:
lipsrsealed Doctors Said Pele Has brain problems so i see why he is talking trash . this old fool scored 700 of his goals through friendlies and street competitions
grin
KendrickAyomide:
lipsrsealed Doctors Said Pele Has brain problems so i see why he is talking trash . this old fool scored 700 of his goals through friendlies and street competitions
You knw get joy at all
Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by HenryInno1(m): 9:47pm On Dec 06, 2018
Ikem11:
Messi Comparism ends with c. Ronaldo, kaka, Ronaldo of Brazil, litlle bit Ronaldinho. If u compare Messi with likes of Zidane, Beckham, Maradona, and legend of football Pele then u on your own.
Trash Trash Trash
Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by HenryInno1(m): 9:49pm On Dec 06, 2018
wink My Lionel Messi Made Extraordinary Things Look Ordinary
Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by Nobody: 9:52pm On Dec 06, 2018
odizeey:
no be by who tall pass. No talk this thing for boxing fans side dem go beat you like thief. Ali is the greatest.
Ali is the greatest kor. Ja rule is the greatest ni. Tell that to Joe Frazier
Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by zudozz: 10:02pm On Dec 06, 2018
0monnak0da:
Goal keepers were allowed to catch back pass

did that help or hinder Pele's record?
Does allowing back pass help a striker

You need a check in logic ?

8 countries played the World Cup

Are you alright

too many 20 year olds coming here to insult their mother's ex...If u ve worn a pair of soccer booths before u dont compare Messi with anyone especially Pele.. Even nikolas bentner would ve scored 500 career goals if he played in the 60s and 70s.

but hey u re right. PELE IS BETTER THAN MESSI... Can u now go to bed? Its Junior light out!

It is better for you to say nothing because you have nothing to contribute
Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by zudozz: 10:05pm On Dec 06, 2018
0monnak0da:
Goal keepers were allowed to catch back pass

did that help or hinder Pele's record?
Does allowing back pass help a striker

You need a check in logic ?

8 countries played the World Cup

Are you alright

It is better for you to say nothing because you have nothing to contribute

[b]too many 20 year olds coming here to insult their mother's ex...If u ve worn a pair of soccer boots before u dont compare Messi with anyone especially Pele.. Even nikolas bentner could ve scored 500 career goals if he played in the 60s and 70s.

but hey u re right. PELE IS BETTER THAN MESSI... Can u now go to bed? Its Junior light out!
[/b]
Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by Obi1kenobi(m): 10:05pm On Dec 06, 2018
0monnak0da:

Say that to Alex Ferguson who believes Pele is the greatest.
Pele played in an era of SEVERAL greats,not one
George Best
Eusebio
Johan Cruyff
Garincha
Jairzinho
Pushka
Di Stefano

we're his elders but great players too.
Looking at clips is no judge because clips from that time are of poor quality with fewer angles but People like Alex Ferguson is in a good position to make a judgement.
He is the same age as Pele so he would know
We are talking about a time when there was no rule against back pass to goal keeper or tackle from behind,if you and the last defender were on the same line then you were offside.

The World Cup is the ultimate stage in Football.
To be a great you must excel there

1) Fergie didn't say Pele is the greatest. He's said he can't separate Pele and Maradona but I know no quotes where he definitively said Pele is the greatest,

2) There weren't any more "greats" in Pele's era than there are now. It was just a more romanticized era where the game was becoming more professionalized and stars were becoming globally renowned and those pioneers of the era of global fame transcended the game somewhat. I wouldn't say there is anything that makes Jairzinho or Garincha greater players than a Ronaldinho or a Ronaldo (Brazil's Ronaldo) for example by any measure. Even Neymar alone would probably eclipse them. The funny thing about the modern game is that the media saturation and overexposure has taken a little romance out of the game, where you watch matches every other day, and every goal is hyper-analyzed with HD, slow-mo, multi-angle shots to show you every error made by a conceding team and tell you how crap players are.

3) Rules about the backpass or tackling or whatever didn't exactly hamper strikers and forwards of the 50's/60's. It was a higher scoring era of football where a team like Tottenham for example won the 60/61 League and Cup double in England while hammering teams 10-4 and 13-2. The game tactically evolved as the rules and conditions evolved. So it isn't any easier for Messi to score 50 goals now than it would have been in the 1960's. I'd argue the opposite. Any clips of that era reveals a fundamental lack of athleticism and lower intensity of play compared to the modern game. When Maradona coached Argentina to their World Cup disaster in 2010, he commented on how overwhelmed he was by the intensity and tactical demands of the modern game.

4) It's simplistic to measure players by the World Cup and claim it is the pinnacle of football. For one, Pele played for a Brazil side that would have been about the same as Messi playing for Spain between 2008 and now. And Spain were basically Barcelona without Messi. I can understand using the World Cup to compare Messi and Maradona, but not Messi and Pele. Secondly, its false that the World Cup is the pinnacle of football - at least in terms of the level of football on display. There was a time national teams were stronger than club sides. That's no more the case.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by Nobody: 10:08pm On Dec 06, 2018
0monnak0da:

Say that to Alex Ferguson who believes Pele is the greatest.
Pele played in an era of SEVERAL greats,not one
George Best
Eusebio
Johan Cruyff
Garincha
Jairzinho
Pushka
Di Stefano

we're his elders but great players too.
Looking at clips is no judge because clips from that time are of poor quality with fewer angles but People like Alex Ferguson is in a good position to make a judgement.
He is the same age as Pele so he would know
We are talking about a time when there was no rule against back pass to goal keeper or tackle from behind,if you and the last defender were on the same line then you were offside.

The World Cup is the ultimate stage in Football.
To be a great you must excel there

Give me a break abeg. Clip na clip, I don't need high definition or 1000 angles to see Maradona's skill and ball control. Watching those Pele's matches fit reduce person football I.Q. Maradona in one of his interviews yabbed Pele too. He said his mother told him that defenders were like sticks that didn't move during Pele's time.
Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by Friend01(m): 10:17pm On Dec 06, 2018
Bloooody:
As much as I respect the great Pele.
You're a fool for what you just said.
If we were to put you and Messi in the field with both of you at a young age I can bet seun mother's life that messi will destroy you without "messi"

First point of correction, you lack football knowledge and you are utterly disrespectful to put it mildly.
No doubt, you can't compare Pele to Messi.
They are legends in their respective era.
But if we were to follow global achievement and personal records there is a difference of chalk and cheese in that area.

I personally think Pele is better than Messi based on what he did for Brazil.
He won Brazil their first world cup at the age of 17.
And he has gone on to win every World Cup with his country except one where he had an injury .

Messi at the age of 19 in Germany 2006 couldn't take Argentina beyond the Q/Final.
Since then, he has not done anything fantastic for his country except for his club side -Barcelona.

When you compare records of both players according to country-achievement Messi pales into darkness when Pele coughs.
With this, you can say there is no room for comparisons.

1 Like

Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by Friend01(m): 10:19pm On Dec 06, 2018
sotall:
Pele is on cheap Brazilian weed...

Messi is the greatest ever

Argue with your keyboard

These kids won't go to bed when men are talking.

You can't compare football of those these were things were rugged and rough with today's smooth and girlie game.

You guys probably don't know much about football history.
Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by abbiboy: 10:21pm On Dec 06, 2018
Ikem11:
Messi Comparism ends with c. Ronaldo, kaka, Ronaldo of Brazil, litlle bit Ronaldinho. If u compare Messi with likes of Zidane, Beckham, Maradona, and legend of football Pele then u on your own.
U re on cheap drugs Beckham kwa?
Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by Friend01(m): 10:23pm On Dec 06, 2018
jaxxy:
Masters of the game!!!!

Look how he dissected Great Messi and his abilities like like a lab rat/Hamster. One dimensional and one skill player grin

Pele is Absolutely right! Maradona beats Messi in talent and skill

These kids sef.

Ask any sincere football analyst who knows his onions he will tell you point blank that there is no real bases for comparison.
Messi is good no doubt, but he is miles behind Pele win we talk about football .

If Messi is the so acclaimed GOAT let him win just one World Cup if he still can.

1 Like

Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by sharpchap: 10:25pm On Dec 06, 2018
gurunlocker:
grin grin grin grin

Sorry, Messi don't argue with people about who the best is.

You've used your own time, just STFU and enjoy the moment.

He's talking about him using just one leg. Maybe he hasn't noticed that it is easier for players who their strong leg is right to easily use left as a weak foot.

But it's hard for those who their strong foot is left to use right undecided

Messi is short, so scoring goals with head will be hard. Moreover, only person that stays inside the box and wait for pass from others score head goals. Messi create chances and also score grin grin
PELE IS LEFT FOOTED!!!!!
Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by Obi1kenobi(m): 10:33pm On Dec 06, 2018
Friend01:

First point of correction, you lack football knowledge and you are utterly disrespectful to put it mildly.
No doubt, you can't compare Pele to Messi.
They are legends in their respective era.
But if we were to follow global achievement and personal records there is a difference of chalk and cheese in that area.

I personally think Pele is better than Messi based on what he did for Brazil.
He won Brazil their first world cup at the age of 17.
And he has gone on to win every World Cup with his country except one where he had an injury .

Messi at the age of 19 in Germany 2006 couldn't take Argentina beyond the Q/Final.
Since then, he has not done anything fantastic for his country except for his club side -Barcelona.

When you compare records of both players according to country-achievement Messi pales into darkness when Pele coughs.
With this, you can say there is no room for comparisons.

You can't compare the professional demands of the game in the 50's and 60's where very few people made a living from football, to the modern era of tens of thousands of pros and a more globalized game. It's like tennis which I follow where players used to clean up Grand Slams as 16/17 years old. Monica Seles won 8 slams as a teenager, before she got stabbed. As did many other teenagers like Hingis, or the Williams sisters and many more. In the modern era, teenagers don't have the physical conditioning to keep up with top pros and the last teenager to win a Grand Slam in the women's tour was Maria Sharapova in 2004. For the men, Nadal is the only teenager to have won a Grand Slam in over 2 decades - something that used to be common.

It's ridiculous making this cross-generational comparisons. Messi and Pele did not face the same challenges and their eras cannot be compared. Funny thing is Brazil would probably not have felt the difference if Pele didn't play those World Cups. They didn't even miss him when he got injured in 1962 and they still cleaned up the tournament with no problems.

3 Likes

Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by gurunlocker: 10:35pm On Dec 06, 2018
sharpchap:
PELE IS LEFT FOOTED!!!!!
Oh man! Stop!!!

Pele use both leg.....

Strong foot is right, weak foot is left.
Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by Foodforthought: 10:46pm On Dec 06, 2018
gurunlocker:

You know what's paining Pele? It's simply because Messi will soon break his record for goal for a single club very soon.

Messi also won something for Argentina (U World Cup and Olympic), if he has support from his mate and they don't leave him to do most work, he would have also won something with Argentina. You think it's a joke to Play in 4 finals? 3 consecutively?

Please don't mention Ronaldo, he didn't do shitt at Euro and remember they were even lucky to get there. Aside Euro, which other thing has he won with his country also?

Nobody is arguing that Pele didn't win 3 WC! But saying stuffs like this makes no sense.
You can't compare Messi to Pele oga...look at it any how you want. Abeg dem no be mate....probably you've never watched Pele before. Forget all these Cr7 and Messi fanboys.... watch Puskas and eusebio...even George Best....Today's players dey learn. Messi is one of the greatest of all time no doubt but not on Pele's level abeg EOD

1 Like

Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by Foodforthought: 10:57pm On Dec 06, 2018
Oegbeyem1:
maradona single-handedly scored Argentinas three goals in the final of 1986 too abi. Yeye dey smell. These retards should know it takes a team to win a trophy. No matter how good you are, if you play with 10 teammates who act idiotic on the pitch, you won't reach anywhere. Higuain wey dem dash one on one three times wey play everything go throw-in nkor. Abegii, you dey talk like sey you nor dey watch ball. Whether na livescores you dey read
Di maria, dybala, aguero, mascherano, otamendi, Higuain are all better than what cr7 had at euros. You guys are just looking for excuses on messi's behalf...Cr7 is inferior to Messi,but they have same number of Balons d'or...Abeg I no get strength to type

1 Like

Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by SkinnyNigga: 11:00pm On Dec 06, 2018
LesbianBoy:

Oga go and sleep! Deep down you know who the king of champions league is and who it should be renamed after.

Well for those who don't know. It's the one and only

King CR7
kids everywhere.... SMH!!
Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by Obi1kenobi(m): 11:04pm On Dec 06, 2018
Foodforthought:

Di maria, dybala, aguero, mascherano, otamendi, Higuain are all better than what cr7 had at euros. You guys are just looking for excuses on messi's behalf...Cr7 is inferior to Messi,but they have same number of Balons d'or...Abeg I no get strength to type

How many of those strikers would you play in the same team? grin How many of them played against Nigeria? And Mascherano has been rubbish for years. Ronaldo didn't do anything spectacular at the Euros. Portugal were a solid, organized resilient team that won the same way Greece won in 2004. He missed most of the final and Portugal still beat France who were hosts, in form, and overwhelming favorites. I Argentina had half the luck Portugal had in that match, they would have won the World Cup in 2014?

3 Likes

Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by sharpchap: 11:10pm On Dec 06, 2018
gurunlocker:

Oh man! Stop!!!

Pele use both leg.....

Strong foot is right, weak foot is left.
i repeat Pele is left footed. so is Zidane. but you wont know because they use their non dominant foot most of the time. can Messi do that? if he tries he cant even play for kano pillars

1 Like

Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by peterd53(m): 11:12pm On Dec 06, 2018
iconize:

Cannavaro not good as Thiago Silva? Which present defenders can match the audacity of the likes of Nesta, Lillian Thuram and the rest of them?

None of d players u mention was good as Nemanja Vidic or Varane
Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by BrutusOj(m): 11:32pm On Dec 06, 2018
Odunharry:
Greats are compared with Greats.

You will always hear people ask if Messi is the greatest.

People compare Messi to Pele and Maradona.

Hardly see people Compare Ronaldo with Pele or Maradona.

Both a Messi and Ronaldo fan but I will pick Messi anyday
You have shifted attention from Pele n Messi to Ronaldo and Messi now. You guys cant talk about Messi without mentioning Ronaldo. Based on Pele' analysis of a good player up there, i think you guys should all bow for CR7. He scores with his head, two legs, entertains with variable skills not the usual meandering inside crowd cos you know referees will blow for foul should bad guys break ur short legs. All hail king Ororo.
Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by Foodforthought: 11:33pm On Dec 06, 2018
Oegbeyem1:
Messi scored all his goals in that world cup at the group stage. So who took them to the finals?
Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by suremanpatriot: 11:37pm On Dec 06, 2018
He is absolutely correct. Pele is very fierce and fast. Pele plays with fire and fury and no footballer has ever neared such. No comparison at all. Am sure if Pele had gone like Bob Marley people will be worshipping and remenaisce. Pele is a Living Legend grin
Even Abedi Pele struggled to Play Pele's pattern but could not. Long live Pele grin

1 Like

Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by Nobody: 11:48pm On Dec 06, 2018
Foodforthought:

Messi scored all his goals in that world cup at the group stage. So who took them to the finals?
it's people that really don't know anything about football that say Messi hasn't played well if he hasn't scored. Some of Messi's best matches were matches he didn't score in. Go and watch all their matches and answer your question yourself. I watched every single minute in 2014. Without Messi do you think they would have beaten Holland that trashed Spain 5-1 and Brazil 3-0. Van Gaal had to change his style and play defensively just because he was playing against Messi. If he had attacked Argentina they would have won because they had a more balanced team. Argentina can't even qualify for world cup without Messi. I'm not saying maradona wasn't Argentina's best player in the world cup, he very very clearly was but his teammates all did their job well and didn't abandon all the job on his head. It is easier to play when you have responsible teammates, if not you will be scared to even lose the ball because you know if your opponents get the ball from you and attack you are in trouble because your teammates are useless. Or imagine higuain asking you to pass to him, will you want to pass to him when you can bet on your mother's life that he will miss it and waste the chance if you pass to him. The teams that do well in the world cup are teams that trust themselves e.g. Spain, Germany, France, etc. Even a 19-year-old Mbappe can express himself well because he has Kante pogba varane Umtiti, make mbappe go shine for Argentina naw
Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by FriendNG: 11:51pm On Dec 06, 2018
Bloooody:
As much as I respect the great Pele.
You're a fool for what you just said.
If we were to put you and Messi in the field with both of you at a young age I can bet seun mother's life that messi will destroy you without "messi"

Kai seun mothers life grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin Why not yours Which class of selfishness is this ?

1 Like

Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by Nobody: 11:58pm On Dec 06, 2018
Foodforthought:

who is talking about cr7. The same players beat France without cr7. And France was the only team better than them that they played against in euro 2016. On paper, Portugal was better than Hungary, Iceland, Croatia, Poland and Wales. But Argentina is total trash without Messi and even when he plays and suffers to take them far their foolishness still prevails at the end of the day. Explain to me why Higuain, a so-called centre forward will throw away three one on ones in three different finals. Can't one of them just assist Messi small. Why do you have 11 players when 1 player has to do everything by himself all the time. If na you you no go complain? 7The stupid Argentine keeper makes a mistake and somehow Messi is blamed for it. It's Messi's fault. Abeg give me a break. If Messi was a loudmouth like cr7 and called these his Argentine teammates out for their nonsense performance, they would have buried their face in sand or committed suicide. Messi has tried for his country, he guided them to three consecutive finals, if one of his teammates couldn't step and assist him then that is their problem. Messi was the only one all the opponent players were marking in those finals and instead ohis teammates to take advantage, they were busy looking and waiting for Harry Potter Messi to do magic. They had one on one they played it to throw in.

1 Like

Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by distinctguy: 12:04am On Dec 07, 2018
ajl:
A lot of thrash talk by those who only watch soccer on TV. Pele stands out because he was a complete player, and won three world cups, and one of these as the youngest player ever in the World cup. Yes, Mess I is a wizard on a soccer pitch but to be the all time greatest you have multiple qualities and world cup to show for it. I mean, look at Maradona during his time. He singlehandedly won the world cup for Argentina by inspiring his teammates. I can't even say Mess I is better than Maradona. Only those who saw Maradona live during his hay days would know this. Not by just watching couple of YouTube clips.

Maradona was great, but drugs made him a cheat!

Although he was excellent in the world cup, He NEVER single handedly won the world cup, infact he couldn't do much in the final and another teammate scored the winning goal.

Even Pele, go check his records, he was only the best world cup competition player once. The other 2 times he won the world cup there are BETTER players in the Brazilian squad than Pele

1 Like

Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by tony5(m): 12:07am On Dec 07, 2018
herlonso:

You're wrong. Football of nowadays is harder. Keeper wear gloves now which makes it easy to save than before

No offside rule then but we have offside rules now

Saying football is harder then is baseless perhaps you want to say there is more competition then than now
For Every Invention,their Is A Room For Modification To Make It Easier,football Is Now Easy And Well Organised.The Players Who Started Football Were Used As Lab Rats To Modify The Game But Yet They Still Made An Outstanding Performance With Their Talent, Never Compare A Stainless Trophies Winner With A Three Times World Cup Winner
Re: You Can’t Compare Messi With Me, Says Pele by manuelkel(m): 12:08am On Dec 07, 2018
I think football of then was more easier to play.
Pele wouldn't have been this great if he's in this current football age.
And that's the only difference Messi is better.
Messi would have performed better if he did play in Pele's time.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Yamila Rodriguez: Meet The Argentina & Boca Juniors Female Star Who Is A CR7 Fan / Ime Udoka Faces Suspension Over Consensual intimate relationship With Team Staff / Liverpool Go A Year Unbeaten In Premier League

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.