Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,237 members, 7,818,793 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:49 AM

Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! (46299 Views)

Pic: Little Girl Who Was Badly Burnt During Boko Haram Attack To Get Plastic Sur / How I Was Badly Treated After A Near Death Experience In An Ex-ministers Hotel / I'm Not Corrupt, I Pleaded Guilty To Save Nigeria's Image – Ibori (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (26) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by eko4show(m): 2:30pm On Apr 14, 2007
Folks, this in my opinion is not strictly an Igbo issue but a nigerian issue for two reasons

1. Our rubbish values and parameters for measuring success
2. Our population ( if you consider the fact that in every 5 black man, 1 is a nigerian). It therefore means that for every 10 crimes committed by a black man, chances are that 2 naija person will be involved. So if its down to ratio , not numbers, we may not appears as notorious

Going back to our values, i think we have all as a nation, missed the point. we are just too materialistic and vain. we like impress , oppress , harass and intimidate with our achievements, profiles, career, wealth and class. Go to any nigerian church especially in UK and you will soon notice that in no time you'll be under pressure to have a change of wardrobe.

Dont get me wrong, i am absolutely and completely against any form of "thiefry", the point am trying to make is that the values and culture is putting so many of our folks under too much pressure to measure up.

until mammon seizes to be our god and honesty, hard-work, service and humanity becomes our ethos, more of such gory tales will continue.

It is more than likely that the 20 richest nigerians as we speak will either be ex-military heads of states or their close associates.

let's not castigate the our Igbo borthers too much, we are all guilty of the same vices
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by DrDre1(m): 2:53pm On Apr 14, 2007
We need serious prayers backed up by serious actions in this country
Until when serious actions are taken, these things will continue
A country where fraudsters are known and celebrated in their environment
What more can we expect?
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by enolase(m): 3:23pm On Apr 14, 2007
I wonder why the administrator of this forum does not ban these IGBOPHOBISTS and IGBO HATERS. What has happened to the rules on this forum?

All those who are laying the phenomenon of cybercrime on "igbo boys" are a bunch of ignorant people. Are the igbos responsible for all the crimes in this country?

Nigerians should stop this tribal shit and fight the Western imperialists who are always painting us black.

Check your bulk mails. How many are sent by Nigerians (or do I say IGBO PEOPLE)?

Westerners are the main perpetrators of cyber crime. People like Oprah Winfrey should be ashamed that she is allowing herself to be used by haters of the black race to paint black a country with the most industrious people in the world.

I AM PROUD TO BE A NIGERIAN. CAN WE SAY HE SAME OF THE TRIBALISTIC MEMBERS OF THIS FORUM? angry
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by rufflychux(m): 3:23pm On Apr 14, 2007
Sweet T, you must be a slowpoke. Are you trying to say that if asked how to curb the current predicament on the Nigerian image issue, you will refrain your suggestions towards the ibo tribe alone? - That is moronic.
The problem at hand is a National one; as much as I hate to associate myself with Nigerians here abroad, I most definately don't make rooms for exceptions.
The Yorubas are just as much of a 419 as the Ibos, Hausas and any other tribe; though I would say that their 419 acts varies in different fields.
The fact is that Nigeria as a whole is corrupt, it is not a tribal but a National issue, you should know that.
It drives me mad, really, especially when Nigeria say they are "The giant of Africa." That is rubbish, Nigeria has been made a shit hole by the former presidents (as well as the current president). I'm all for Nigeria but Bleep the Goverment, Bleep the former presidents (Especially IBB and Abacha), Bleep the current president, Bleep the president that will be elcted this 2007 and Bleep YOU (and anyone) who say the Ibos are the reasons for Nigeria's quandary.
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by Christino(m): 3:37pm On Apr 14, 2007
@ Those firing @ the igbos,

Most of the igbo guys (under 22) in my area sell spare parts (they also do some shady deals no doubt) but 90% of the high school products (Yoruba) are Yahoo! Boys.

Now tell me, is OBJ igbo? Is Abacha Igbo? Is Tafa Balogun Igbo? When Fela sang ITT (International Thief Thief, did he mention any igbo name?)

Let's stop reasoning through the soles of our feets or anuses, this is a Nigerian stigma, even the Hausas are not left out even though them own na for politics, The onus is on we, the enlightened ones to work on the upcoming generation, many thanks to Oprah, Yahoo! Boys can now begin to look for something else to do.

pS: My first contact with SOLID (not these small small boys o) Yahoo Boys was in 1999 (Ilupeju Area) and till 2002, Igbos formed the majority and initiated the Yoruba boys (Palmgrove and Ilupeju) and Yorubas are expert at stealing one's market, no doubt yorubas (mostly born in lagos) are the major men now (some like Agero Chairmen)

Forget tribalism, this is a Nigerian issue, we place too much emphasis on material things, forgetting that it's far more important to leave a peaceful and respectful life than to live a rich but stigmatized life. We want to buy cars with spinners (like hip hop heads) and spray cash (POUNDS!!!) at obesere shows, we want "heads to turn" in the streets and we want the best babe on campus (even if we have no plans for her).

That is not all, our females engage in prostitution and DIVORCE business abroad, (same ulterior motives), please let's stop this battle against the Igbos and face the situation squarely, talk to that yahoo boy (that one close to you) to stop this shameful act, i guess it's hightime we started a revolution.

Regards,
Chris (ps: i'm not Igbo but i'm proudly Nigerian)
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by DrDre1(m): 3:41pm On Apr 14, 2007
walks into thread and sees Rufflychux boiling with hot anger

@ Rufflychux
Please don't be angry. smiley
Let's hope things will change someday grin

@ Christino
You've said it all bro
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by busygirl(f): 3:48pm On Apr 14, 2007
@poster, I don't think it's all about ibo boys, Go to cybercafes, even dem yoruba and hausa boys are guilty of yahoo-yahoo. This internet fraud thing makes me sick, . sOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE ABOUT IT ! it's becoming too much.
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by anabell(f): 4:04pm On Apr 14, 2007
@christino thank u so much my brother
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by skipo87(m): 4:15pm On Apr 14, 2007
As for me, this is what i think . . . . . . . . . . . .I would nt lay emphasis on the igbo boys. As a born Nigerian we al have criminal tendencies. what really brings out this quality is the fact that we have a very low standard of living in this country. The economy is bad. Not blaming it all on the economy some of us have greed. every body wants luxury bt nt al of us are willing to work for it. relatin these few issues with a few others gives us why whatever the case is. . . . . .". . . . . . . . its nt just the igbos; it cuts accross al the tribes. bt pardon me to say i have had a few nasty experiences with igbo boys.
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by peeceelove(m): 4:17pm On Apr 14, 2007
Rufflychucks, if you think disrespecting everybody in Nigeria is the solution, then a big Bleep YOU to you, cause the solution to any problem is not by attacking it but by been diplomatic about it. Is Nigeria the only country that is corrupt, what about United state of America, where you have drugs on the street, where guns is in the hands of every tom dick and harry, where there is no respect for family values, where broken home is at high rate, where kids do not have regards for there parents, where a kid could send his or her parents to jail for being dealt with.
yes i agree some Nigerians are corrupt, but what about those countries that welcome this same fraudsters? are they not the worst for Aiding and Abating? the stolen wealth from Africa is what is sustain g some western Nations today so meen Bleep YOU for being angry, if i may ask what are doing in States, are you not striving to live. why not come back to YOUR country to make things better that complaining, see meen YOU ARE A SECOND CLASS CITIZEN IN THE STATES and there is no way you can be ACCEPTED in that part of the world. come back home and make the change. for the problem we are going through only GOD can see us through. NOT ALL IBOS ARE CORRUPT. AND FOR THE LOUSY JOURNALIST OUT THERE THAT WANT TO MAKE NEWS, LET THEM COME INTO THE COUNTRY AND MEET THE RIGHT PEOPLE TO ASK QUESTION. CHEERS TO ALL THAT BELIEVE NIGERIA WILL RISE AGAIN
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by Gorrjigen(m): 4:19pm On Apr 14, 2007
It is just a hard fact that the igbos are so engrossed in these so called activities, although participation cut across all ethnic groups, at least i know that the credit card fraud in the U.K and human traficking\prostitution are dominated by the other major ethnic groups.But the fact still remains that the Ibos overdo anything they hear others are doing. Nigerians have good name in South Africa until the ibos entered. Countries like Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda no longer want to see Nigerians because of the attrocities committed by mostly Ibo traders over there. Just go and take the statistics of Nigerians in Bangkok Central prison, you will easily agree with me.

It is good as all the countries in West Africa could differentiate between the Ibos and other Nigerians. An average Fulla money changer on the street of freetown can tell you about the infinite criminal capacity of the Ibo man. A custom officer or Duane in Kidira,Senegal will first ask a Nigerian traveller across his border if he is ibo or Yoruba. Prostitutes in Lome, Togo have learnt their lessons from their Ibo Customers. how i wish citizens of other countries outside west Africa could follow this step. Camerounian gerndarmes have nothing against Nigerians in their country except the criminal intent of the majority of Nigerians living there.

Ibo conmen are paraded almost monthly on Gambian T.V news as Nigerians. Sometimes the story is as big as defrauding the Central Bank over there. I bet it, you will hate yourself seeing these things. What makes it saddening is that most of their crimes bear the trade mark of poor execution and hallmark of shallow intelligence, and in some cases they even report each other to the police in a lootfracas. If you are an Ibo and you are not convinced, please take a trip to Ivory coast, Sierra Leone, togo, Liberia, Guinea, Senegal and Mali and enquire from the natives. There is always a story of a bizarre crime commited by a NIgerian Ibo around in those countries.

I wish the Ibos themselves can admit these facts and try to correct these anomalies in their society. I think the value system needs changing but it will start from the Ibos admiting this truth. This is no 'Ibo Bashing'. Other ethnic groups also needs to repent but the fact is that, take the Ibo crimes out of it,the rest is minimal. Ibo businessmen are scattered all over the major cities of Africa, but it is a hard fact and a well known secret that most of their wealth are recycled proceed from big time criminal activities. i think to clean Nigeria's image abroad we just have to start with the IBOS, GOD BLESS NIGERIA.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by cutey01(f): 4:27pm On Apr 14, 2007
We are all guilty. . . the ibos just happen to be the most covetous of the bunch!!!
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by swetangel(f): 4:38pm On Apr 14, 2007
Well I think ibos are more difficult, but the truth is that every Nigerian is a
crook. From the smallest to the biggest, the pauper to the president.
Its just the pattern and style of doing it that is different.

So, please lets stop this Ibo, Yoruba etc stuff.
Can all of the millionaires and big boys of the country country come out
boldly and tell us how they make their money?

Friends, lets focus on how to have a better Nigeria and change our
international image/name for good. We are seen and known as NIGERIA not
as Ibo or Yoruba Hausa etc.

GOD Bless NIGERIA.
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by pepsi2: 4:46pm On Apr 14, 2007
I saw it at 1 am and it was sad, I am not a Nigerian but i have friends who are and am moving to Nigeria from America. I am not afraid because every country has problems. We have wizards here who steal companies data base info and have access to thousands of credit cards and they failed to talk about those types of scams too and focused on Nigeria and had one case from Russia.
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by Nobody: 4:47pm On Apr 14, 2007
Only Lawijo and Texxapete made sense on this thread, however i have these to say to the following people.
The bashers - you need to shine your eye and don't complain the next time a white man says to you, you have criminal tendencies because you are black or your fellow blacks keep you at armslenghth because you are Nigerian.
The apologists - Keep your head up, me i no send anybody i am naija, love being naija and will never apologise for being naija, i will never apologise for what i am. Naija forever
The buck passers - take some responsibility and stop blaming Oprah better yet do something about this menace that is affecting us all. If you know a scammer report him or her to the appropriate authorities.
The ostriches - It's laughable that you choose to bury your heads in the sand, who gives a rat's ass about crime in other places we are talking about naija here
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by lagoshost(m): 4:54pm On Apr 14, 2007
Apparently, it happens that at most rare occassions, when one dog leaks feaces it is linked to all dogs , but we should also note that there are trained dogs and others, as the case maybe, at least the best computer originator is an igboman, some of the best doctors in the world,engineers to mention but a few are igbos, so i am not of the opinion that its a tribal thing, please lets join hand to make this country great brooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by anabell(f): 4:56pm On Apr 14, 2007
my God , i have been on d site 4 sometime, but i never know,there was so much hate 4 d ibos. anytin d ibos GOD,this is so disgustin .
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by bodunde: 4:58pm On Apr 14, 2007
I wonder why some group of people believe that only ibo's are involved in yahoo-yahoo business. my dear compatriots, this whole stuff of yahoo-yahoo is more prominent among yoruba's. i begin by taking you to Ogun State University, OSU Agoo iwoye campus where the order of the day is all about how many maggars one is able to dupe. 80% of the students of the university that are into yahoo business are yorubas. you can also have a walk to ijebu-ode and believe me that for every ten young men, nine out of them all are yahoo boys and they all are yorubas. they are now shifting their base from lagos where they are being chased by police men to ijebu-ode. therefore,lets always stick to the issue rather than isolate a group of people and make them subject to criticism. Ibos are good i tell u but for the fact that some of you guys have not actually come  close makes it difficult to appreciate them.
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by anabell(f): 5:07pm On Apr 14, 2007
wht about here in d uk d yoruba are d grand masters of 419
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by fromuk(m): 5:08pm On Apr 14, 2007
Sweet T
am in england and when yo talk of credit card fraud here u talk of yorubas so pointing hand to ibos is just rubish. can any one in this world use his real name for anything fraud?.
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by anabell(f): 5:10pm On Apr 14, 2007
i tire my sister
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by naijaking1: 5:14pm On Apr 14, 2007
This Igbo discussion is very interesting.
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by adconline(m): 5:16pm On Apr 14, 2007
4play.
Why did you and co reduce this  Igbo bashing. I guess you did not see CNN's  "How to Rob a Bank" where Nigerians were featured and to my knowledge only 1 Igbo was featured. You  think that only Igbos are spoiling Nigeria's image. Think again, your govs  Alams and Odili are no better.

Instead of commenting of the issue, your first line of attack was to insult Igbos. I don't know why you always have issues with Igbos. Obj, Atiku and Co are stealing money, it becomes a Nigerian issue.
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by 4Play(m): 5:17pm On Apr 14, 2007
adconline:

Instead of commenting of the issue, your first line of attack was to insult Igbos. I don't know why you always have issues with Igbos.

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by anabell(f): 5:20pm On Apr 14, 2007
we ibos, we cant stand d so called 4play, cos we drove him out of imo state he is not happy grin
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by rufflychux(m): 5:21pm On Apr 14, 2007
peeceelove:

Rufflychucks, if you think disrespecting everybody in Nigeria is the solution, then a big Bleep YOU to you, cause the solution to any problem is not by attacking it but by been diplomatic about it. Is Nigeria the only country that is corrupt, what about United state of America, where you have drugs on the street, where guns is in the hands of every tom privates and harry, where there is no respect for family values, where broken home is at high rate, where kids do not have regards for there parents, where a kid could send his or her parents to jail for being dealt with.
yes i agree some Nigerians are corrupt, but what about those countries that welcome this same fraudsters? are they not the worst for Aiding and Abating? the stolen wealth from Africa is what is sustain g some western Nations today so meen Bleep YOU for being angry, if i may ask what are doing in States, are you not striving to live. why not come back to YOUR country to make things better that complaining, see meen YOU ARE A SECOND CLASS CITIZEN IN THE STATES and there is no way you can be ACCEPTED in that part of the world. come back home and make the change. for the problem we are going through only GOD can see us through. NOT ALL IBOS ARE CORRUPT. AND FOR THE LOUSY JOURNALIST OUT THERE THAT WANT TO MAKE NEWS, LET THEM COME INTO THE COUNTRY AND MEET THE RIGHT PEOPLE TO ASK QUESTION. CHEERS TO ALL THAT BELIEVE NIGERIA WILL RISE AGAIN

Suck it up you porkchop; what do you know about being diplomatic? Do you use glasses to read posts on nairaland or didn't you read when I wrote "I'm all for Nigeria?" Suck your demented ridden ass up and concentrate on the at hand, who gives a Bleep about being a first class citizen in a country whose leaders are so currupt? Yes, I'd rather be a second class citezen in the USA than be a first class, poverty ridden, frustrated wacked up junk head Nigerian like yourself. As a matter of fact I'd rather be a 3rd Citizen than be treated like a 2nd class citizen in my own country. See what they did to Eedris Abdulkareem? Is he not a First class Nigerian citizen? Check your facts peanut brain before you pour your lompo factless facts, fucking ompa lompa.
You are a first class Nigerian citizen - Kudos to you.
Guess what? I'm a First Class Nigerian citizen too + a citizenship abroad.
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by fromuk(m): 5:26pm On Apr 14, 2007
Gorrjigen

if i may ask how did you find urself in denmak, did u seek asylum before u get ur papers? if u did what was ur story cos their is nothing happening in nigeria to warrant you taking asylum in any part of the world. You are part of that fraudelant nigerians, cos fraud is not only 419 or credit card.
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by studdys(f): 5:27pm On Apr 14, 2007
Hey guys you don't have to make matters that does not affect you directly so personal;
whats all this exchange for? please come off it, its not worth the struggle
who would want to take all this insult for nigeria that does not care if you exist anyway?
still that does not call for a disagreement ok? cheesy
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by anabell(f): 5:28pm On Apr 14, 2007
@fromuk, good word
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by rufflychux(m): 5:33pm On Apr 14, 2007
Hey! Peecelove, here is your "First Class Nigerian Citizen" in his own country http://2twist..com/2007/03/soldiers-beating-up-okada-riders.html
uhmmmmm!!! undecided undecided Nigeria will rise again when people like you start to think straight. We are Homo sapiens now for those of you who are still living a Homo Erectus life like Peecelove.
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by anabell(f): 5:34pm On Apr 14, 2007
@gorrjigen, we are waitin tell us ur stupid story,mr i too no
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by eko4show(m): 5:36pm On Apr 14, 2007
has anyone the link to this opray show?

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (26)

Ghana Resorts To Diplomacy To Get Nigeria Border Opened / Gov Soludo Receives Ned Okonkwo, E-money, Kcee And Cubana / 8 New Ministers Appointed By Jonathan Get Portfolios

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.