Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,967 members, 7,825,024 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 12:12 AM

Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? (52184 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? / What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? / Response To The Thread: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by ApexTitan(m): 7:34pm On Dec 09, 2018
thebosstrevor:

you parent did some odd job and took some loans for you to enjoy thus creating a debt trap.

Many nigerian do odd jobs abroad. That is a fact.

Your parent and maybe you are working.do you or your family own the company where they work. Did they not compete with locals to get what they want.many used AAction to get jobs.

From all the grammar you wrote.you sound entitled.

This is an old and tired argument here on NL.

It is Nigerians without proper documentation that are the bulk of those doing "odd jobs" overseas. Many people in Nigeria get the wrong impression of what life is overseas then travel out illegally only to get stuck doing menial jobs forever. That said, there are those who travel abroad legally, sometimes for schooling, and end up working in high profile occupations.

People who keep making the claim that it is only menial jobs that Nigerians do overseas are saying so because they only know those who are there illegally.

Come to think about it, I encourage those who are overseas to tell everyone else that they are only working menial jobs. That way they'll have an excuse not to send money when the request is made cool cool

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Contumely: 7:37pm On Dec 09, 2018
NONNYG:
During my NYSC in Nigeria I was earning 19,800 monthly, with that I feed myself, pay for accommodation, transportation to PPA, flex smallgrin etc; but after my NYSC I moved to Dubai and I’m earning above what I earned in a whole year just in one month, with free accommodation, free food, free transportation to workplace, free medical, 24 hours uninterrupted power supply etc.

U wan make I come back to Nigeria abi? Unless if I’m offered a job in oil company
So you just converted dirham to naira and assumed you earn your 1 year alawee in a month?

Do you do expenses in naira?

Do you know economics at all?

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Pat4321: 7:40pm On Dec 09, 2018
Because of evil leaders like Buhari

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by martineverest(m): 7:41pm On Dec 09, 2018
funny part of is rusty most of them constitute nuisance abroad...it's mostly the ones that further their education abroad that make it legally

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Uglymugg: 7:41pm On Dec 09, 2018
Nobody in nigeria thinks you can ONLY make it abroad, it's just that your chances of making it are higher and fairer abroad.

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Yankee101: 7:41pm On Dec 09, 2018
A beaten man has no hope in the place he got beaten

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by BrainBrain442: 7:42pm On Dec 09, 2018
Because they have tried here in Nigeria.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by helinues: 7:43pm On Dec 09, 2018
Oga op, there are potentials of making it outside Nigeria

Nigeria system, culture, constitution does not have progressive in her dictionary.

Everywhere is an abroad,but ja abroad heh, if you are not corrupt, you can never succeed

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by codemaniacs: 7:44pm On Dec 09, 2018
zz

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by UrVillagePpl: 7:45pm On Dec 09, 2018
thebosstrevor:
I have noticed that many Nigerians think they can only make it abroad, even though,we are blessed with a large market,what is stopping nigerians from seeing opportunities in their own country?

I have spoken to many chinese( age 20 to 30) they all seems to have very low education, some of them do not have degrees like us but they are making it big time in nigeria, even a north korea man i met in an exhibition in lagos is doing great here in nigeria.

But nigerians are trooping out of their country like nothing works in nigeria.

I tink jibril from Sudan would b in a better position to answer that..

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by hardbody: 7:45pm On Dec 09, 2018
onyegwu:
U really answer am well. People just want to talk in order to appear better all na wash. Just dangle a visa and see how he will also give u a reason why he should leave. Hypocrites everywhere.

Not everyone wants to leave. Some go and come back, with reasons. It's not as rosy as it sounds until you get there.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by bigstan11787(m): 7:45pm On Dec 09, 2018
[quote author=thebosstrevor post=73692942]

poor quality of life is not only a nigerian problem.

Police harrasment, public shooting, tribalism, brutal violence, poverty is real in developed countries too

should i say we complain a lot instead of solving our issues

[quote][can u solve the isue??][/quote]

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by naijjaman(m): 7:46pm On Dec 09, 2018
thebosstrevor:
I have noticed that many Nigerians think they can only make it abroad, even though,we are blessed with a large market,what is stopping nigerians from seeing opportunities in their own country?

I have spoken to many chinese( age 20 to 30) they all seems to have very low education, some of them do not have degrees like us but they are making it big time in nigeria, even a north korea man i met in an exhibition in lagos is doing great here in nigeria.

You are a pessimist and your question is a pessimistic one.

Here are things you need to know;

There is no success without venture
God is the author and finisher of our faith.

Leave hustlers alone ok?

10 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by bidak(m): 7:46pm On Dec 09, 2018
The question you should be asking is that what brought about the idea behind traveling out of the country in the first place.. To answer your question it is only natural to want to leave someplace that is not working for you and try other places if the country is working well most Nigerians won’t even be thinking of leaving in the first place

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Nobody: 7:48pm On Dec 09, 2018
onyegwu:
U really answer am well. People just want to talk in order to appear better all na wash. Just dangle a visa and see how he will also give u a reason why he should leave. Hypocrites everywhere.
lmao

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by naunasabi: 7:48pm On Dec 09, 2018
@op why do Nigerians think it is all about money?

What about quality of life? Last time I checked the life expectancy in that shit-hole is around 50 years. Moving to country like Germany automatically increases your life expectancy by about 30 years on the average.

What about opportunity? Yes you can make money in Nigeria but then how much are we talking about? Being a middle class doesn't spare your children the horror of everyday life in Nigerian or how uncertain the future look. Unless you are among the top earners in Nigeria which will afford you the means to ship your children abroad for a better life. Which brings me back to the question if Nigeria is that great after making the money since that is your sole indicator of a wonderful life why don't you leave your kids in Nigeria instead of carting them away?

To the average man on the street, Nigeria is one of the worse place to be born and to live in. Go to the west the average man on the street has a prospect if they work towards it. In Nigeria working hard towards your goal doesn't cut it, you have to be very lucky and know people. I know that there are group of people that will counter this point but my question to those people is to compare the number of those that did it without knowing anyone with those that knew someone. While when you look at the west the element of luck and knowing someone is insignificant on how your life turns out.

@op you won't know the quality of life until you get home from work, flip the switch and there is power. Step into your tube and take a warm bath thereafter relax in your sofa without any worries of whether the power will be on when you wake up in the morning or if the tap will be running in the morning. You wont known the quality of life or what it really means to make it until you have emergency medical condition and all you need to do is dial emergency services and their will be medical personnel right there at your home to save your life.

Even in your so called money haven- even if you managed to amass a lot of money when you have medical emergency the service you will get is a far cry from a decent one. I forgot all your billionaires are still running abroad for medical checkup.

As for the poor man he is on his own!

Yes to me making it, is living in a society where everyone has equal or at least near equal opportunity of charting the course of their lives.

Making it to me is living in a society where I don't have to worry about the mundane things of life like security, health , education, human right, job security etc. You can be making money but mine and I can speak for most people is living in a decent society.

To us that is what making it is all about!

85 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Kingpee2(m): 7:49pm On Dec 09, 2018
Have you made it here in the first place ?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Nobody: 7:49pm On Dec 09, 2018
I am a Dutch boy. I choose security over money. What is the point of making it when you live in fear of armed robbers,trigger happy policemen,ritualists,kidnappers,rapists and bad Nigerian drivers.
Every single Nigerian family I know has been a victim of one of the above.

21 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by princeisah26(m): 7:49pm On Dec 09, 2018
We no like our self
Simple
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by bigstan11787(m): 7:49pm On Dec 09, 2018
[quote author=Yankee101 post=73697209]A beaten man has no hope in the place he got beaten[/t]
[Hi]
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by bluefilm: 7:49pm On Dec 09, 2018
I think it's simply because Nigerians, most especially their youths, too like already-made things.

It is in their blood.

For instance, their young women want already-made husbands.

When it comes to earning money, most of their youth will go for already-made jobs rather than starting their own business.

So it shouldn't surprise anyone when these youths head for abroad to 'make it' there in an already-made flourishing and buoyant economy rather than making their own economy to become vibrant.

No wonder one wise king once termed them ''lazy youths''.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by lastempero: 7:49pm On Dec 09, 2018
Some people are running away from jubril and not necessarily to make money,for u to even think of money you have to have peace of mind and a conducive atmosphere.

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Lomprico2: 7:49pm On Dec 09, 2018
because their country has failed them over n over

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Nobody: 7:50pm On Dec 09, 2018
ApexTitan:

This is an old and tired argument here on NL.

It is Nigerians without proper documentation that are the bulk of those doing "odd jobs" overseas. Many people in Nigeria get the wrong impression of what life is overseas then travel out illegally only to get stuck doing menial jobs forever. That said, there are those who travel abroad legally, sometimes for schooling, and end up working in high profile occupations.

People who keep making the claim that it is only menial jobs that Nigerians do overseas are saying so because they only know those who are there illegally.

Come to think about it, I encourage those who are overseas to tell everyone else that they are only working menial jobs. That way they'll have an excuse not to send money when the request is
made cool cool

you trying to be clever.

But we can both agree that are nigerians doing menial jobs abroad but legal and illegal

if nigerian are so succesful abroad how come i havent heard of a single nigerian that has employed hundred of foreigners like how the chinese do in nigeria

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by lastempero: 7:51pm On Dec 09, 2018
litdutchboy:
I am a Dutch boy. I choose security over money. What is the point of making it when you live in fear of armed robbers,trigger happy policemen,ritualists and bad Nigerian drivers.
in welke stad woont u?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by TOPCRUISE(m): 7:52pm On Dec 09, 2018
thebosstrevor:

Say this to all those living abroad especially ebuka who remained jobless for 10 years when he was in Nigeria but now hit it big when he got to America (Now has a house in Lekki)that they should come home that Nigeria has a large market and why are they not seeing opportunities in Nigeria.
Their reply to you will be so epic that you will not be able to sleep tonight

13 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Gee001: 7:52pm On Dec 09, 2018
Please o, I want to learn how to make cool and legit cash in Nigeria. People that are making it here don't have two heads. Someone please teach me. Edakun cry

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by chigoizie7(m): 7:53pm On Dec 09, 2018
that is where ur smartness and hard work pays. unlike naija where u need IM to blow.

thats a place where the govt policies are stable

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by bigstan11787(m): 7:53pm On Dec 09, 2018
[quote author=bluefilm post=73697425]I think it's simply because Nigerians too like already-made things.[/ll

[color=#006600][/Hmmm
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Nobody: 7:54pm On Dec 09, 2018
Because it's true, other Nigerians are making it abroad.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply)

Present Condition Of Port Harcourt Zoo: Pictures & Video / Ogun Bridge In Panseke Adigbe, Longest Pedestrian Bridge AKA Bridge Of Confusion / Uber Launches "Uberboat In Lagos" - Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.