Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,300 members, 7,819,019 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:04 AM

Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? - Travel (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? (52106 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? / What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? / Response To The Thread: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by oluayebenz: 9:47am On Dec 22, 2018
Babyvet:

But I have question why are foreigners doing so well in Nigeria? Nigerians are running away from the country but foreigners are coming down there to make money.

Nigerians are not smart at all.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Mizwisdom(f): 9:51am On Dec 22, 2018
Babyvet:

But I have question why are foreigners doing so well in Nigeria? Nigerians are running away from the country but foreigners are coming down there to make money.

Most foreign businesses do well cause we patronize them more than our own. Is this not a complex?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by justwise(m): 10:12am On Dec 22, 2018
Mizwisdom:

Most foreign businesses do well cause we patronize them more than our own
. Is this not a complex?

So i guess the question is ..not are we not patronizing Nigerian business owners?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Mizwisdom(f): 10:28am On Dec 22, 2018
justwise:

So i guess the question is ..not are we not patronizing Nigerian business owners?

Anything foreign is better mentality, I guess.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by justwise(m): 10:31am On Dec 22, 2018
Mizwisdom:

Anything foreign is better mentality, I guess.

It goes beyond that, Many Nigerian businesses are dishonest, bad customer service, rude, focused on money and not the qualify of the product they are selling.

12 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Mizwisdom(f): 10:42am On Dec 22, 2018
justwise:

It goes beyond that, Many Nigerian businesses are dishonest, bad customer service, rude, focused on money and not the qualify of the product they are selling.

You're on point.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Babyvet: 2:33pm On Dec 22, 2018
Mizwisdom:

Most foreign businesses do well cause we patronize them more than our own. Is this not a complex?

It is, it also a problem with black businesses here in the US as well.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Babyvet: 2:35pm On Dec 22, 2018
oluayebenz:

Nigerians are not smart at all.

They are coming into Nigeria making money and get special treatment . When Nigerians go abroad they don’t get the same treatment.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Nobody: 5:42pm On Dec 22, 2018
I watched a video recently of how chinese youtube bloggers come to africa to make money.

It shows that every race have exploited africa and africans. Only africans do not understand their continent but also aid foreigners in exploiting it while they themselves make no gain..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJPAX9hd5kE

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Nobody: 5:50pm On Dec 22, 2018
Nigerians dont understand the might of nigeria

Nigeria is the most populous black nation on earth, every black nation look up to nigeria, we can spread our cultture and businesses far to other black nations. We dont know what we have.

If nigeria wins or become succesful, the whole black race will be so proud.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by acorntree(m): 8:54pm On Dec 22, 2018
Babyvet:

Foreigners are doing well here whereas Nigerians are not because;

1. Most Nigerians are impoverished, for most Nigerians setting up and running successful big businesses is not within their capacities. Average Nigerian is poor and this reflect in ways we run businesses here. Most businesses here are based on ''next sucker''! No customer care.

2. Most of these foreigners , Chinese, Lebanese, and Indians have quality education from their home country even diploma holders from these countries are not at par with our degree holders. So they are highly skilled individual. I think we really need specialized schools to solve this problem.

3. Most of the businesses engaged by these foreigners are just a replica of already successful businesses in their home country , so their is minimal risk as they are not test running these businesses in Nigeria market. Business is all about managing risk!

4. Nigerian mentality is another issue, we don't believe in ourselves. We always believe in anything foreign even those in government don't believe in Nigerian to handle highly technical jobs like road construction , railway etc

5. Foreigners are more favoured than indigenes especially in business. Chinese government sponsors most of these chinese businesses in Africa, so who is sponsoring an average Nigerians in business especially at the incubation stage.

6. Raw materials and machines used in production in most of these Chinese, Lebanese factories are imported using their local currency not dollar .Changing Naira to dollar is a disadvantage for Nigerians.

7.Non stop work ethic/ mentality and hardworking attributes are some of the qualities I see in most of these foreigners. They most time overwork, working tirelessly non stop. They do not focus much on certificate like we Nigerians. Everything here is all about certificate!

8.Nigerian have ideas but to implement most of these ideas is problem because of unfavourable environment. No support from government in any form.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Nobody: 9:29pm On Dec 22, 2018
acorntree:

Foreigners are doing well here whereas Nigerians are not because;

1. Most Nigerians are impoverished, for most Nigerians setting up and running successful big businesses is not within their capacities.

2. Most of these foreigners , Chinese, Lebanese, and Indians have quality education from their home country even diploma holders from these countries are not at par with our degree holders. So they are highly skilled individual.

3. Most of the businesses engaged by these foreigners are just a replica of already successful businesses in their home country , so their is minimal risk as they are not test running these businesses in Nigerian.

4. Nigerian mentality is another issue, we don't believe in ourselves. We always believe in anything foreign even those in government don't believe in Nigerian to handle highly technical jobs like road construction , railway etc

5. Foreigners are more favoured than indigenes especially in business. Chinese government sponsors most of these chinese businesses in Africa, so who is sponsoring an average Nigerians in business especially at the incubation stage.

6. Raw materials and machines used in production in most of these Chinese, Lebanese factories are imported using their local currency not dollar

i agree with some of your point but not everything.

it is not that most Nigerians are improvised, they dont know new methods in building businesses or even know how to create businesses that scales, when building business you need to start small, reinvest your profit in the business,grow and expand, most big Chinese business today in Nigeria are from the 70s,90s,2000s, they started small and grew, (this is the Nigerian factor in growing business, lets take a clue, how many Nigerian owned big businesses in Nigeria were started from the scratch? few, it is either you are close to the govt or you know some powerful people. How many Nigerian big men can build businesses from the scratch,few, many of them rely on patronage and contract.

another Nigerian factor is creating business to impress people, imagine a business owner in nigeria, using his business to fund his lifestyle, that is why you hardly see big businesses in Nigeria.

on your point about quality education, i have spoken to Chinese and Indians, the reality is this, those with quality education go to the US while those from the villages come to Nigeria that is from the Chinese angle, the Indians you see in Nigeria are mostly low quality and cheaper expatriate employed by Nigerians or Indian companies to work here. Many Nigerians are qualified than many of these people.

Funny enough, i had a friend who worked in a rig on the high sea with foreign expatiates, my friend said he was the only one who was a graduate on the rig, he was over qualified for the job, the guys from the US with whom he worked had only GEDs.

Lastly, not all Chinese businesses in Nigeria are sponsored by the Chinese govt, only big projects and free trade zone are sponsored by the Chinese govt, now this is what i found amazing, some Chinese in Nigeria have restaurants, they import goods and some of them do have farms, the Chinese man especially from the village is an experienced farmer, he comes into Nigeria as a worker with Chinese companies, after the expiration of his contract, he had already saved some money, he use that money to buy or lease lands here in Nigeria, plants vegetables that we dont have, then start supplying to owners of Chinese restaurants in Nigeria, what i noticed is that they use their network to succeed here in Nigeria, all the stuff we shy away from, the Chinese man is doing it and making money.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by toboy: 5:53am On Dec 23, 2018
I'm just wondering, what are some of the lucrative businesses in Nigeria than some one can go into ( say with 4 million naira investment)? Your suggestions are well appreciated!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Nobody: 8:47am On Dec 23, 2018
toboy:
I'm just wondering, what are some of the lucrative businesses in Nigeria than some one can go into ( say with 4 million naira investment)? Your suggestions are well appreciated!

there is nothing like lucrative businesses in Nigeria. starting a business does not work like that, inbetween the lucrative businesses in nigeria are all over crowded, this question is an easy way to fall in the hand of fraudsters,in business, there is nothing like fast gain, you have to put in the work. you build business with patience,determination and strategy and also reinvesting your profit and cutting down your expenses

if you are looking for lucrative business in nigeria, i have no idea

the only advice i can give you, is that you have to be on ground, study the market, check for low cost businesses with very low competition in Nigeria, example if you see a low cost business abroad, copy and paste it in nigeria but localise and create a brand out of it and also use modern methods of advertising and marketing or even discounts to get to the customers.

if you are not done for business, better instead, my advice, Invest your Money in safe investment like Treasury bills and fixed deposit, i think there is a group for that in the investment section of Nairaland. go there, read, learn and do it yourself.

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Nobody: 9:45am On Dec 23, 2018
i will advice anybody that want to make money to read this book, it is an old book that was published in 1880 but still have relevancy today

The Art of Money Getting: Golden Rules for Making Money Book by P. T. Barnum

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by toboy: 4:42pm On Dec 23, 2018
Thank you so much Trevor, those are very insightful comments. Do you mind if connect with you? I could learn alot from you.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Nobody: 11:12am On Dec 24, 2018
toboy:
Thank you so much Trevor, those are very insightful comments. Do you mind if connect with you? I could learn alot from you.

i would have given you my contact but true be told, i am not on any social media except nairaland but anyway for learning purpose, you have to do it yourself.

the best i will advice again is to invest your money on treasury bills, go to any bank in nigeria and ask for information about it.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Nobody: 12:55pm On Feb 27, 2019
ojlifa:
Hustle well,make you travel after two years outside you go come back tell us your true opinion. As you no won learn from people when get experience, then you go learn the hard way

[q1uote author=milehigh06 post=73698389]

lmaoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..who gave you this BS...

Been here 18 yrs..wtf u on about
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by MrsInvisible(f): 11:08am On Mar 03, 2019
JustNiyi2:
May GOD ease our affairs in home or abroad.

Please Check my signature if you can help me to get work Abroad cause the my job is no paying here. I always hope that all shall be well one day and i keep on pushing.

Happy Sunday to you. To get a job abroad is not easy, at least speaking for Germany. You will have to verify with German authorities, if they accept your certificates from Nigeria about your profession. You will maybe have to start fumigation and dry clean service company on your own which requires money investment from the start. Since you will have to learn German language too maybe English speaking country is easier to start a profession. Good luck
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by tck2000(m): 10:20am On Jul 07, 2019
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Hongkog(m): 8:46am On May 03, 2021
NONNYG:
During my NYSC in Nigeria I was earning 19,800 monthly, with that I feed myself, pay for accommodation, transportation to PPA, flex smallgrin etc; but after my NYSC I moved to Dubai and I’m earning above what I earned in a whole year just in one month, with free accommodation, free food, free transportation to workplace, free medical, 24 hours uninterrupted power supply etc.

U wan make I come back to Nigeria abi? Unless if I’m offered a job in oil company

Which kind work you dey do bro?

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (Reply)

Shocking Photos From Indonesian Earthquake/Tsunami That Killed Over 1,200 / Bristow Helicopter Crash Survivors In Lagos (photos) / Trademore Estate, Lugbe Abuja Flood (More Pictures & Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.