Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,345 members, 7,819,226 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:03 PM

Would Sim Registration Eliminate Kidnapping In Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Would Sim Registration Eliminate Kidnapping In Nigeria? (3139 Views)

Kidnapping In FESTAC, Igbo Factor And Police - Vanguard / Proposed US-Immigration Bill Will Eliminate DV-Lottery / Royal Father Suspended For Alleged Kidnapping In Imo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would Sim Registration Eliminate Kidnapping In Nigeria? by ePAYSYSTEM(m): 10:22pm On Aug 02, 2010
The idea of SIM registration is never strange. It took me 2 weeks in the UK
to obtain a telephone line as a visitor because a registration had to tally with my VISA
Certificate and International Passport No. In organized societies, the government can use this
to protect the citizenry. Same is possible in Nigeria.

But I have a big question to How is Nigerian Government going to use this as a strategy to fix
kidnapping. Look at this:

My Friend was kidnapped 2 times by different groups. At each of this times, he was never contacted before the attack. From the time they picked him till the time he was released on ransom, the only means of communication was his own phone. There was no identification of any phone line belonging to the NAPAS. If his lines were registered, how would this aid his release and of cause a protection for his family.

Do you think kidnapping can be checked with just this exercise of SIm registration given that other security measures are hitting the rocks? Or would you make other suggestions that the government and the people would try?
Re: Would Sim Registration Eliminate Kidnapping In Nigeria? by RICHIEBOI1(m): 12:47am On Aug 03, 2010
do we have really have a govt? sim card registration would only help to some extent. what happens to the people out there doing phone call as a business. ok! lets look at it this way. lets say am kidnapper and i go from one payfone to another demanding for my ransom. how can they be able to trace my location?
Re: Would Sim Registration Eliminate Kidnapping In Nigeria? by Acidosis(m): 12:09pm On Aug 03, 2010
Elimination is not possible!
Re: Would Sim Registration Eliminate Kidnapping In Nigeria? by kaiosama(m): 12:22pm On Aug 03, 2010
This Sim registration will be another of incriminating innocent Nigerians by the police because when u register ur Sim and it happens that ur phone with the Sim inside was stolen by kidnappers, definitely if they use that Sim to make a call, the owner of the stolen Sim will be in problem as the police will now believe that the owner of the Sim is the kidnapper in question, and u know Nigerian police?, they are very very good at arresting innocent people in place of criminals. so that will be another way of harassing innocent members of the public while the kidnappers keep on going free. A kidnapper will not use his/her Sim card to make calls. So it will not eliminate it instead more Nigerians will be put into trouble.
Re: Would Sim Registration Eliminate Kidnapping In Nigeria? by kaiosama(m): 12:23pm On Aug 03, 2010
This Sim registration will be another of incriminating innocent Nigerians by the police because when u register ur Sim and it happens that ur phone with the Sim inside was stolen by kidnappers, definitely if they use that Sim to make a call, the owner of the stolen Sim will be in problem as the police will now believe that the owner of the Sim is the kidnapper in question, and u know Nigerian police?, they are very very good at arresting innocent people in place of criminals. so that will be another way of harassing innocent members of the public while the kidnappers keep on going free. A kidnapper will not use his/her Sim card to make calls. So it will not eliminate it instead more innocent Nigerians will be put into trouble.
Re: Would Sim Registration Eliminate Kidnapping In Nigeria? by cold(m): 12:31pm On Aug 03, 2010
ePAYSYSTEM:

to obtain a telephone line as a visitor because a registration had to tally with my VISA
Certificate and International Passport No. In organized societies, the government can use this

But I have a big question to How is Nigerian Government going to use this as a strategy to fix

My Friend was kidnapped 2 times by different groups. At each of this times, he was never contacted before the attack. From the time they picked him till the time he was released on ransom, the only means of communication was his own phone. There was no identification of any phone line belonging to the NAPAS. If his lines were registered, how would this aid his release and of cause a protection for his family.

Do you think kidnapping can be checked with just this exercise of SIm registration given that other security measures are hitting the rocks? Or would you make other suggestions that the government and the people would try?

I really don't understand when you say it took you 2 weeks to get a telephone line.What kind of telelphone line is that?Cuz i can get as many as 10 sim cards today if i so wish.I don't know what channels you used in your request cuz this is so hard to bliv.
As per the topic,i don't think sim registration will be very effective,rather i'd recommend tracking of calls,that seems to me a more efficient & effective method
Re: Would Sim Registration Eliminate Kidnapping In Nigeria? by kaboninc(m): 1:13pm On Aug 03, 2010
@kai-osama. Maybe u do not understand the meaning of SIM REGISTRATION as it can be seen from your comment " register your Sim and it happens that your phone with the Sim inside was stolen by kidnappers, definitely if they use that Sim to make a call, the owner of the stolen Sim will be in problem as the police will now believe that the owner of the Sim is the kidnapper in question". How can one be kidnapped, having registered his SIM, and his SIM was used to make a call then the police who are looking for this kidnapped fellow traced that call and resolved that he is the one who 'kidnapped himself'! Thats the meaning of what you are saying. I suppose you have an idea of the this initiative called SIM REGISTRATION.
Re: Would Sim Registration Eliminate Kidnapping In Nigeria? by kaiosama(m): 1:43pm On Aug 03, 2010
@kaboninc
i believe making calls with the registered Sim card will make it possible for the network operators to identify the owner of the Sim card because during registration they will request for ur personal info/data and also take ur passport photograph, so when a kidnapper stole ur phone with the Sim card and make calls with it, the network operator can easily identify the owner of the Sim card using the phone number and that will be a problem for the owner of the stolen Sim. that's what i mean but if there is more to it, let me know.
Re: Would Sim Registration Eliminate Kidnapping In Nigeria? by ddiamond(f): 1:46pm On Aug 03, 2010
nothing is impossible let wait and see,
Re: Would Sim Registration Eliminate Kidnapping In Nigeria? by kaiosama(m): 1:58pm On Aug 03, 2010
@kaboninc
when i say the kidnappers stole somebody's phone, i didn't mean the phone of the person that is being kidnapped but what i mean is that they can steal Mr.A's phone and later kidnap Mr.B and still went further to make contact with Mr.B's relatives using Mr.A's phone. thereby putting Mr.A into trouble, and when the network operators trace the number, they will trace it to Mr.A's  identity, whereas Mr.A  is innocent.
Re: Would Sim Registration Eliminate Kidnapping In Nigeria? by ud4u: 2:07pm On Aug 03, 2010
To some extent, it can but in Nigeria it will be difficult to attain.
Re: Would Sim Registration Eliminate Kidnapping In Nigeria? by Emmyk(m): 2:44pm On Aug 03, 2010
What if u had a 'THREAT CALL' from an hidden no Would the network op track that when u take it to them
Re: Would Sim Registration Eliminate Kidnapping In Nigeria? by martinosi: 4:08pm On Aug 03, 2010
kai-osama!:

This Sim registration will be another of incriminating innocent Nigerians by the police because when u register your Sim and it happens that your phone with the Sim inside was stolen by kidnappers, definitely if they use that Sim to make a call, the owner of the stolen Sim will be in problem as the police will now believe that the owner of the Sim is the kidnapper in question, and u know Nigerian police?, they are very very good at arresting innocent people in place of criminals. so that will be another way of harassing innocent members of the public while the kidnappers keep on going free. A kidnapper will not use his/her Sim card to make calls. So it will not eliminate it instead more innocent Nigerians will be put into trouble.

True Talk,  I not in favour of Sim Registration and they can catch people
who commit crimes on GSM Phones via GPS or Voice Recognition, and other methods, Meanwhile, every Number is logged on the System of the Mobile
phone operators anyway,
Re: Would Sim Registration Eliminate Kidnapping In Nigeria? by martinosi: 4:12pm On Aug 03, 2010
ePAYSYSTEM:

Why did you not just go the Argos and Buy a Pay as you Go Phone "Duh"

In reference to your above comment, you just wasted your time and i doubt the
story unless you were seeking a land line or a contract phone,
Re: Would Sim Registration Eliminate Kidnapping In Nigeria? by martinosi: 4:16pm On Aug 03, 2010
ePAYSYSTEM:

SIM REGISTRATION IN NIGERIA = ABUSE BY POLICE IN INVESTIGATIONS AND
ABUSE BY NAIJA STAFF THAT WORK AT MOBILE PHONE COMPANIES AS THEY
WILL HAVE ACCESS TO SENSITIVE DATA-INFORMATION AND THIS WILL CAUSE INCREASE IN CORRUPTION, 419, AND ALL KINDS OF SCAMS AND BULLS***T,

BAD-IDEA BAD IDEA BAD IDEA!!!
Re: Would Sim Registration Eliminate Kidnapping In Nigeria? by chelseabmw(m): 4:48pm On Aug 03, 2010
This sim registration will not work.PERIOD
Re: Would Sim Registration Eliminate Kidnapping In Nigeria? by snowdrops(m): 4:53pm On Aug 03, 2010
chelseabmw:

This sim registration will not work.PERIOD
and your point is?
Re: Would Sim Registration Eliminate Kidnapping In Nigeria? by kaboninc(m): 5:06pm On Aug 03, 2010
kai-osama!:

@kaboninc
when i say the kidnappers stole somebody's phone, i didn't mean the phone of the person that is being kidnapped but what i mean is that they can steal Mr.A's phone and later kidnap Mr.B and still went further to make contact with Mr.B's relatives using Mr.A's phone. thereby putting Mr.A into trouble, and when the network operators trace the number, they will trace it to Mr.A's  identity, whereas Mr.A  is innocent.

I do not see any strong reason why this will happen. A kidnapper takes somebody but with a probability of 0.9999 cannot use somebody's phone (a stolen phone) to make calls because he will not get his ransome since the authority will trace that call and secretly investigate the owner of the stolen phone. The only thing for the kidnapper is to use a phone that cannot be traced. If not, they wont succeed.
Re: Would Sim Registration Eliminate Kidnapping In Nigeria? by truly: 5:40pm On Aug 03, 2010
Kidnappers do not usually use their phones (and their own SIM card) to make calls to demand ransome
Using the victim's phone (and SIM card) achieves at least 2 benefits
They easily get the numbers of the victim's relatives (husband, wife, children) from the victim's phone
The victim's relatives can easily confirm (from the call from the victim's line) that the caller is in touch with the kidnapped person

It is hard to believe that armed robbers cannot rob people of their registered SIM in order to use same to make calls
I reckon that just like people report the theft of their cars to the police in order to avoid beong linked with any possible crime comiitted with the car
People will report loss of SIM card for that same purpose
I mean, people do not report robbery of cars simply for the purpose of the recovery of the car - primary reason is to avoid police trouble
Re: Would Sim Registration Eliminate Kidnapping In Nigeria? by RICHIEBOI1(m): 6:54pm On Aug 03, 2010
two many unanswered quetion about this sim registration.
Re: Would Sim Registration Eliminate Kidnapping In Nigeria? by symbianDON(m): 7:07pm On Aug 03, 2010
Emmyk:

What if u had a 'THREAT CALL' from an hidden no Would the network op track that when u take it to them
hiding your number is a network operation so even when your number is set to hidden on your phone your operator can still see it!
Re: Would Sim Registration Eliminate Kidnapping In Nigeria? by Jakumo(m): 7:16pm On Aug 03, 2010
ePAYSYSTEM:

to obtain a telephone line
as a visitor because a registration had to tally with my VISA

Sir, the trouble you had picking up a SIM card must have come about because of your strong African accent.  It took me two seconds to purchase a sim card on one of the most widely used mobile networks in the UK, with NO identification necessary, possibly because my American accent raised no eyebrows.

Nigeria is ground zero for identity theft and forgery, which will doom any attempt to register mobile phone sim cards, so NO SIREE, mandatory sim card registration will NEVER facilitate the tracking of kidnappers, nor anyone else who does not wish to be traced.
Re: Would Sim Registration Eliminate Kidnapping In Nigeria? by bouncino(m): 8:49pm On Aug 03, 2010
There are two crimes here - kidnap and threat calls. SIM registration will not help much with kidnapping since in most cases, the victims phone is used. But SIM registration will aid strongly in combating THREAT CALLS. Records show that there are more threat calls than kidnap cases and the Police and other agencies spend too much time managing this due to the fear and trauma the victims go thru.

Threat calls and SMSs will have to be sent with the criminal's phone. Combined with tracking, it will be easy to snare or trap the animals.
Re: Would Sim Registration Eliminate Kidnapping In Nigeria? by netotse(m): 10:29pm On Aug 03, 2010
a pertinent question would also be: was kidnapping the sole reason for SIM registration?
Re: Would Sim Registration Eliminate Kidnapping In Nigeria? by oladayo042: 10:50pm On Aug 03, 2010
Anyone here thinks there is a satellite tracking system in the country?
Re: Would Sim Registration Eliminate Kidnapping In Nigeria? by Akosbaba(m): 5:54am On Aug 04, 2010
This is kind of funny,so do you guys think kidnappers won't just buy a new sim anytime they feel like kidnapping
Re: Would Sim Registration Eliminate Kidnapping In Nigeria? by fyneguy: 10:10am On Aug 04, 2010
bouncino:

There are two crimes here - kidnap and threat calls. SIM registration will not help much with kidnapping since in most cases, the victims phone is used. But SIM registration will aid strongly in combating THREAT CALLS. Records show that there are more threat calls than kidnap cases and the Police and other agencies spend too much time managing this due to the fear and trauma the victims go thru.

Threat calls and SMSs will have to be sent with the criminal's phone. Combined with tracking, it will be easy to snare or trap the animals.

Bros, are you kiddin?

Ok. give me your fone number let me threaten u and see if you can track me grin

bros, nobody can track threat calls made from Ekaette business centre o grin, except u want to punish Ekaette.
Re: Would Sim Registration Eliminate Kidnapping In Nigeria? by Bustinola: 10:30am On Aug 04, 2010
Except where everybody uses a GPS enabled phone. Satellite Mapping can be used to track where A particular sim is generating a GPS signal, but it can be mobile as the user can move from place to place. Call forwarding can also alter the correct location of a sim line. Moreover, Despite professional consultation in the government's decision to register sims in the country, the truth is that every security measure is still subject to a breach. Besides, i doubt if the country is up with what it takes to operate satellite tracking, with those in power who will wish to hide from the atrocities they commit.
Re: Would Sim Registration Eliminate Kidnapping In Nigeria? by tunscolo(m): 11:34am On Aug 04, 2010
has car registration stopped kidnapping in this country. what if another person's phone that is registered was stolen, for their kidnapping. have u guys ever thought about that?
Re: Would Sim Registration Eliminate Kidnapping In Nigeria? by Jakumo(m): 12:00pm On Aug 04, 2010
Existing GSM telephone technology does in fact permit cellphone providers to quickly locate the precise GPS coordinates where any given handset is being used, by a process known as triangulation, whereby the relative signal strength and directional bearing of the phone under investigation is quantified with respect to the nearest three transmission towers of known longitude and latitude, such that the point of intersection of three vector quantities identifies the target handset's location to an accuracy of within ten feet.

This well established localization technique works regardless of whether or not the phone under investigation contains a GPS transceiver, and is routinely used by law enforcement in the West to perform geographical analysis of phone signals in the context of criminal activity localization.  Nigeria's GSM phone providers ALREADY possess the hardware required for this sort of investigation, with no additional upgrades necessary.
Re: Would Sim Registration Eliminate Kidnapping In Nigeria? by sley4life(m): 12:29pm On Aug 04, 2010
never. people still steal odas line
Re: Would Sim Registration Eliminate Kidnapping In Nigeria? by osasp(m): 4:35pm On Aug 04, 2010
SIM registration in my opinion will go a very long way in reducing kidnapping in the country if the proper systems are set up.

Jakumo:

Existing GSM telephone technology does in fact permit cellphone providers to quickly locate the precise GPS coordinates where any given handset is being used, by a process known as triangulation, whereby the relative signal strength and directional bearing of the phone under investigation is quantified with respect to the nearest three transmission towers of known longitude and latitude, such that the point of intersection of three vector quantities identifies the target handset's location to an accuracy of within ten feet.

This well established localization technique works regardless of whether or not the phone under investigation contains a GPS transceiver, and is routinely used by law enforcement in the West to perform geographical analysis of phone signals in the context of criminal activity localization.  Nigeria's GSM phone providers ALREADY possess the hardware required for this sort of investigation, with no additional upgrades necessary.

you dont even need GPS availability for that to work.as long as the phone is being used, tracking can be done.

tunscolo:

has car registration stopped kidnapping in this country. what if another person's phone that is registered was stolen,  for their kidnapping. have u guys ever thought about that?

its easy, when you loose your phone, call your mobile operator ASAP to report it stolen so crimes done with that phone wont be traced back to you.

fyneguy:

Bros, are you kiddin? 

Ok. give me your fone number let me threaten u and see if you can track me  grin

bros, nobody can track threat calls made from Ekaette business centre o  grin, except u want to punish Ekaette.

ekaete's phone should be registered aswell. in the process of registering, the operators would be made aware of the fact that the line is to be used for commercial purposes, that way, ekaete wont be in trouble.

oladayo042:

Anyone here thinks there is a satellite tracking system in the country?
i believe mobile operators dont need satelites to know which of their masts are transmitting a call and the location of this mast.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Who Gets 2015? North Or East? / Stop Deceiving Us With Eko O Ni Baje / Critics Have Been Unfair To Governor Theodore Orji

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.