Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,844 members, 7,820,936 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:07 AM

Can You Describe Your Job? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Can You Describe Your Job? (38974 Views)

9 Smart Ways To Say No To Your Boss Without Losing Your Job / 4 Better Ways To Answer "Why Are You Leaving Your Job?" / 11 Signs That You Should Leave Your Job. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by okk: 8:59am On Apr 19, 2007
i hate my job, all i do is sleep.
from morning till night.
hmmmmmmmm!!!!, maybe i should go out there and get a job.
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by ChieFoH(m): 9:06am On Apr 19, 2007
@ kachipor
u mean akintola williams and delloite?

@okk

nice job! how much do u get paid for doing that?
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by kachikapor(m): 9:12am On Apr 19, 2007
to cheiFor,

yeah i mean deloitte. i get paid well enough to want to go to work the next day, ya dig. besides did not give any clue as to where i work, so i'm guessing you're psychic uh
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by TheOne2(m): 11:08pm On Apr 19, 2007
My job?

As I speak it consists of studying and passing exams enough to bag an M.Sc degree.

In my normal life, my job involves making sure that oil fields are developed in an economical way and that oil wells are producing in an optimal manner (this is a very narrow description). If I start describing all the different parts, it's going to take a lot.

I absolutely love my job as it enables me to use my greatest strength which is my analytical ability. I love the travels, the sense of adventure when I get to go to remote places (there are days when I travel by road, airplane, helicopter and boat all in the same day).

Most importantly, I love it because I believe the pay is reasonable. I'll be miserable if I have all of the above with a miserable pay grin

The only part I hate is having to go to the field and maybe 2 of you are going to work and you have to go with more than 10 soldiers with tactical security plans, chase boats, guns everywhere etc. I found it amusing at first but grew to hate it with time.
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by fresh2impr: 8:22am On Apr 22, 2007
I am a Contracts Analyst in an oil company, which means we evaluate whether certain bidders are eligible for contracts, award the contracts and manage them.
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by remiloy(m): 1:04pm On Apr 26, 2007
This an interesting topic.i presently work as a fronk desk/customer service executive in a stockbroking firm but i must confess its far from what i was expecting,too monotonous although challenging due to some difficult investors/customers.
Am definately quitting soon,i prefer working in HR related jobs.
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by matsumoto(m): 5:36pm On Apr 27, 2007
im a management trainee with UACN Plc. i function as an assistant manager and at the moment, my job trains me through the operations of the whole group from foods to finance, supply chain logistics, manufacturing, restaurants and franchising. i find it interesting for now cos it makes me travel and is broad based
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by stellak(f): 1:57pm On May 01, 2007
My job? I'm a bit confused here. A graduate of English and recently got a masters degree in the same field. Worked for some time(2 years) with the media and it was fun-real fun. Took some time off to start a family and raise my children and coming back after 4 years, (even though i did some freelance work from home) every prospective employer either believes I'm too old or would run off and get pregnant again. Its indeed very discouraging. So right now while still searching desperately for a job, I'm having fun with my boys. cool
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by Seun(m): 2:08pm On May 01, 2007
Aww. If you keep sending them excellent freelance articles and photos, maybe they'll eventually warm up to you?
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by bodsibobo(m): 2:33pm On May 01, 2007
I own my own Real Estate franhise for one of the top real Estate Companies here. I love it, I love the challenges.

Every day is different. Each comes with its own challenges; and blessings. and I work with very wonderful people. I look forward to going to work everyday, seven days a week, though I have a very flexible time-table because I resume anytime and close any time as long as I have justified my day.

Like now its 1st of May, (May Day). I am the only one in the office and I have closed two deals already. I LOVE MY JOB!!!!!!
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by DTruth1(m): 3:16pm On May 01, 2007
I'm a Mariner,
few but proud,
Different days, different countries.
It is a 'call'.
I work on a time bomb (gas ship) @ the moment but still the safest job in the world. Funny enough, no one really want to take any chances that would affect the safety of the vessel.

If u want to be paid instead of paying to visit different places,
If u think your family has seen enough of u and u want to be missed,
If u want to miss people also,
If u want to come home and see that u have been left behind in some basic things in life,
If u want to have a broad view of life (travellin is learning)
if u like to save money,
Are your family disturbing u about marriage?lol
lots more reasons.
This is a profession for u.

u can't survive in it if u take it as a job, u have to take it has a carrier.
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by texazzpete(m): 3:23pm On May 01, 2007
The One:

My job?

As I speak it consists of studying and passing exams enough to bag an M.Sc degree.

In my normal life, my job involves making sure that oil fields are developed in an economical way and that oil wells are producing in an optimal manner (this is a very narrow description). If I start describing all the different parts, it's going to take a lot.

I absolutely love my job as it enables me to use my greatest strength which is my analytical ability. I love the travels, the sense of adventure when I get to go to remote places (there are days when I travel by road, airplane, helicopter and boat all in the same day).

Most importantly, I love it because I believe the pay is reasonable. I'll be miserable if I have all of the above with a miserable pay grin

The only part I hate is having to go to the field and maybe 2 of you are going to work and you have to go with more than 10 soldiers with tactical security plans, chase boats, guns everywhere etc. I found it amusing at first but grew to hate it with time.

I do exactly the same thing! i'm a reservoir engineer. . .
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by marco74(m): 5:07pm On May 01, 2007
work as a shrink in dublin.sick and tired of oyinbos telling me they want to kill themselves becos of stress like quarrel with partner(can u imagine?!!)i sometimes feel like telling them 2 visit 9ja and find out the definition of stress.sometimes you just pity them seeing people addicted to heroin as young as 15-16 years.
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by solarrate: 9:59pm On May 01, 2007
I'm a Principal railway engineer working on London Underground projects for over 11 years. Would now like to make a difference in Naija, thinking of going. Don't want any contractor building a naff railway for our country.
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by Consultant(f): 4:32am On May 02, 2007
I am a Human Capital consultant. My areas of specialization are organizational development, change management and training. Someone said consultants are incapable of describing their jobs in one sentence, and they're probably right. The gist of it is, I work on different clients - right now my focus is on pharmaceutical companies - and help them do things like organization design, performance management, training development, and implementing HR systems.

I would say the greatest challenge is that as a consultant, your clients look up to you to provide business solutions so you have to constantly update your knowledge. I read a lot of business books, magazines and industry publications, attend conferences and belong to a number of professional organizations.

I enjoy my job - I get to travel, I change clients regularly so it doesn't get boring and I get to meet top executives of companies and make lots of contacts, and the pay is good.

1 Like

Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by Elizabeth(f): 8:28am On May 02, 2007
i work in an Auditing Firms @ island,the salary nothing to write home about
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by eko4show(m): 9:46am On May 02, 2007
trust nigerians, when it comes to "showmanship" you will find them.

even people that stock shelves in ASDA or Tesco would tell you they are Business Development Analyst. Why are we so obsessed with ego and title. we put ourselves under undue and unnecessary pressure.

and to be honest, whatever informed this thread in the first place, suggests to me a complex on the part of the initiator.

a white man wold tell you ha is a plumber, he proud of it and he stands by it. our values are just nuts and that is why we will remain where we are.

are we suggesting there is no carer or cleaner or support worker in this house? , but they have all suddenly fizzled into oblivion in the face of the "project Consultants", the " busineess consultants", the " Nuclear Astrophysicist", the "insetment startegist", undecided
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by marco74(m): 10:43am On May 02, 2007
eko4show appears to be taking the issue personal.hope its not envy??!!y do u think any1 here has lied about their job??and by the way what makes u think the types of job u listed is beyond nigerians??!take am easy my brother!!
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by anusule(m): 11:09am On May 02, 2007
finished college, going to uni, still searching 4 p.t work undecided
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by Nobody: 12:30pm On May 02, 2007
@texazzpete
ouch.i 'd assumed you were in telecomms/IT (your vista evangelism, etal) .
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by Basseytutu: 1:21pm On May 02, 2007
@ehio007.

Nobody asked 4 ur CV, u were only asked if u were enjoying ur job or not.
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by bjcisse: 2:17pm On May 02, 2007
Would rather say i like my job, But i like to be in new IT project so that i can learn new things and develop my self, but all i do now is to manage an IT infrastructure for a construction company in lagos (IT manager position), i get to work everyday, sit and do a lots of chatting, attend to my users remotely without leaving my table unless is a major problem, play music, visit tech-site, and drinking tea all day long, 6pm on dot, i roll my nootbook in my bag and head home, Its nice anyway, but its dollin me as an IT guy.
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by endychux: 3:39pm On May 02, 2007
I work as a pipeline design Engineer. my responsibility is the acertain the intergrity of the pipe to be laied by determining the pipe stability, stress analysis of the pipe, burst pressure, test pressure of the pipe etc.
I work in an oil servicing company. the job in challenging and interesting. But remove the pay, then I will have a re-think.
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by eko4show(m): 4:27pm On May 02, 2007
marco7,
have you noticed that no teacher or civil servant or any seemingly "unjanded" vocation responded to the thread?. the point i was trying to make is that it is most unlike any of the body in the above above profession would initiate a thread on this nature for the simple reason that such kind of job is widely perceived to be "lowly" and "unitellectual" in naija context.

that explains why somebody would say he attended Unipetrol in the even though he has only gone to technical college. now technical school is fantastic and it has its place in the economy, but if you never go Lag or OAU for naija, you may even be considered an illiterate in some circles.

i hope you grab my point
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by eko4show(m): 4:28pm On May 02, 2007
. smiley
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by IBDat(m): 4:38pm On May 02, 2007
I work as a Distribution Channel Manager - in the travel industry - it involves total management and full optimisation of all our distribution channels which comprises of the website, call centres and travel agents. The work initially was interesting, challenging and enjoyable - i get to travel and the perks are cool, pay (well i can always do with more smiley) - but of rescent it has become tedious and repetitive! undecided
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by Gettolove(m): 5:08pm On May 02, 2007
I am an executive in an advertising agency, being in the finance department i have the whole time in the world to do my personal stuffs untill the end of every quater when i would be asked to submit my report. It is very interesting to work in an enviroment like this because of the things and time i enjoy.

My major task in the agency is basically CREDIT CONTROL
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by marco74(m): 5:30pm On May 02, 2007
eko4show,i get ur point.its really our mentality in 9ja.like u said 4 jand u will notice that people are generally proud of their jobs.its not all about a 3rd level degree like in 9ja!!!i mean u see how well paid artisans are here,u go bow!!until we start appreciating people for their productivity in 9ja instead of their university degree(??)then we never start!!
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by alanbolo(m): 9:19pm On May 02, 2007
@ eko4show, still expecting yr own reply to d tread.
of course, I'll rather downgrade myself than upgrade since I'll be looked upon as low-paid and will be left alone to do humanitarian services.

I think d reasons we didn't see someone from the civil/public dept is partly due to yr reasoning and whenever they come to this tread, they'll skip it. It's not a matter of those who respond are not telling the truth.
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by Danoe(m): 1:16pm On May 03, 2007
The work of a researcher is very interesting!!.
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by brownbaby(f): 3:03pm On May 03, 2007
I work as a secretary to the Director of Operations in one of the leading airlines,

though a B. Agric holder, been working as a sec. in the aviation industry for the past four years

and i'm enjoying my job, hoping to study further to become a manager in the HR dept.
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by bodsibobo(m): 3:11pm On May 03, 2007
eko4sho; alanbolo; marco74;

Another point here is that you never know the extent to which such answers to this thread can be useful! U never can tell, I ,might need the services of say, a business analyst or a tax consultant in a particular place and I can network on this site and get the contact I need.

Though I get eko4sho's point but my own point is that you just do your best and leave the rest. As long as you know that you are telling the truth and calling a spade a spade, whoever wants, let him call it ' an instrument/device for tilling ground', na him sabi!

So eko4sho, Can you describe your job?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Tony Elumelu: The Sales Boy Turned Billionaire / 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs / Hilarious Chat Between A Boss And His Employee(snapshot)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.