Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,715 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:37 PM

Can You Describe Your Job? - Career (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Can You Describe Your Job? (38965 Views)

9 Smart Ways To Say No To Your Boss Without Losing Your Job / 4 Better Ways To Answer "Why Are You Leaving Your Job?" / 11 Signs That You Should Leave Your Job. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by Gamine(f): 12:14pm On Jul 29, 2008
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by Mustay(m): 1:28pm On Jul 29, 2008
zarazara:

Yes I write stories, I tell stories, I create stories - some of you know these stories as 'news'.

Is't dangerous to say you're a Journalist?
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by sistajay(f): 1:36pm On Jul 29, 2008
Helpin those that cant care for themselves. Im a caregiver.
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by Mustay(m): 2:25pm On Jul 29, 2008
U're more of a care-taker grin
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by Gamine(f): 5:21pm On Jul 29, 2008
She gives care

must you rubbish her profession undecided undecided
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by echelon(m): 5:48pm On Jul 29, 2008
in layman's terms:

some group of rich guys looking for oil gather together and hire some "smart" guys

these "smart" guys visit some fields and do some experiments and assume oil is in an area

they drill holes in the field called "exploratory wells"

they come talk to us to help determine if there's really oil there

we draw up a contract and i take some equipment to that field

i lower some tools called "sondes" into the drilled wells

i take some measurements with my computer and other equipment and plot some graphs

we interpret the graphs for the rich guys and deliver the graphs to them

they pay us some $$ and i take my cut

i go back home to my family…

… to await the next group of rich guys around the corner  grin grin

if you're conversant with the petroleum industry, my job is called wireline logging
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by Mustay(m): 6:25pm On Jul 29, 2008
Gamine:

She gives care

must you rubbish her profession undecided undecided

sharrap dia angry angry tongue

except this is what she is talking 'bout:

http://www.jobrapido.co.uk/?q=caretaker
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by akanni(m): 6:33pm On Jul 29, 2008
It's one of those industries that has actually helped a lot of families in Nigeria and i actually have to thank God for that.oh yes, it's a bank.
My job is fun though monotonous,i try to have fun servicing my customers and actually thinking of moving from operations to marketing. smiley
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by saintfizzo(m): 6:43pm On Jul 29, 2008
U guyz,me i no like my job tho',but i gat dreams,all i need is the capital;Y'all know how much motivation liquid cash can give & im sure a lot of folks in here feel the same like me.
personally,i believe i can sort out my snags by forming a network which is easy to join if U are interested,my plans goes on and on,but pls u can email me at saintfizzo@yahoo.com ,i guarantee,we'll make somthing big on the longrun,ciao
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by Gamine(f): 6:49pm On Jul 29, 2008
@Mustay

You sharrap!

who no know no go know lipsrsealed
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by Mustay(m): 9:26am On Jul 30, 2008
Gamine needs to be Retired tongue tongue grin
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by Gamine(f): 10:00am On Jul 30, 2008
My job, i don work tire

na only retirement wey go suit myself tongue
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by Ebonyj(f): 2:09pm On Jul 30, 2008
@Sagamite
Sagamite (m)
London, UK

Re: Can You Describe Your Job?
« #187 on: July 27, 2008, 04:16 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: Ebonyj on July 25, 2008, 01:44 PM
Performance Manager- Montoring performance of projects being carried out within some of the departments e.g HR, Procurement, E & I etc

Is this in the public or private sector?

Is it by setting the metrics (financial, process & systems, customer etc) for strategic goals or is it for specific processes of the departments?

It is within the public sector and (in plain English)it is to monitor how projects that have been approved are performing i.e is the PM sticking to the scope and bugget? Is it still a viable project? Is the PM following the methodology set out by the business?The job title is not right for the role I would describe it more as a project cooordination role, although I am sort of my own boss and report directly to the programme director(I have never seen her before just emails) but I make decisions based on the performance of the project using my initiatives ,I only escalate issues when there is going to be a major change to the scope of the project which could lead to a crisis for the company. But I guess it is not given that title because I don't support project managers but I support the business they are carrying out the projects for.Also I am part of the committee that approve the project budgeti.e if it is under £100k
se you get me
Anyway why do you ask?
What do you do?
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by penwizard(m): 5:14pm On Jul 30, 2008
Oh yes, i love my job extremely.

I wrote my first story in pry five and paid a classmate to write it in her best hand writing. I am a research writer, and a chronic reader. the pay is still coming in gradually, through the magazine i publish. My advice> don't do a job you are not proud of.
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by Sagamite(m): 6:07pm On Jul 30, 2008
Ebonyj:

It is within the public sector and (in plain English)it is to monitor how projects that have been approved are performing i.e is the PM sticking to the scope and bugget? Is it still a viable project? Is the PM following the methodology set out by the business?The job title is not right for the role I would describe it more as a project cooordination role, although I am sort of my own boss and report directly to the programme director(I have never seen her before just emails) but I make decisions based on the performance of the project using my initiatives ,I only escalate issues when there is going to be a major change to the scope of the project which could lead to a crisis for the company. But I guess it is not given that title because I don't support project managers but I support the business they are carrying out the projects for.Also I am part of the committee that approve the project budgeti.e if it is under £100k
se you get me
Anyway why do you ask?
What do you do?

Thanks, Ebonyj. I get you.

You will see what I do on page 4 of this topic.

I asked because a lot of my work has to be implemented and a key part of linking the implementation to the developed strategy is developing the Performance metrics. This is an area I am getting interested in and I have not done much on. So I just wanted to know more from you.
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by HIROSHI: 11:27pm On Jul 30, 2008
@ Gamine

If you have 2:1 and have finished national youth service; please call +2347038278128. Only hope u can bear the rigours of the industry.
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by Gamine(f): 11:03am On Jul 31, 2008
@Hiroshi

what if i get first class nko undecided

i no dey do NYSC, which job u wan giff me sef undecided
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by Ebonyj(f): 2:44pm On Jul 31, 2008
Sagamite:

I asked because a lot of my work has to be implemented and a key part of linking the implementation to the developed strategy is developing the Performance metrics. This is an area I am getting interested in and I have not done much on. So I just wanted to know more from you.

Saga,

Me like your jobn, lets swap places.I am really trying to get into the investment banking obut it is proving so difficult. Some of my friends have been lucky enough to get similar roles in Barclays and Morgan Stanley but it is well sha , holla if you need more info I might be able to help,although you sound to me like you already know what you are doing. The job is quite straight forward it is meeting up with the individuals gathering and collating their progress report and from the report I gather I can then deduce if the project is heading in the right direction, i dey talk too much wo laters, I meant to be working.
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by Ebonyj(f): 2:46pm On Jul 31, 2008
I also noticed I spelt budget(bugget) incorrectly , pardon my grammar.
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by ajl: 6:46am On Aug 01, 2008
I look forward to every morning in the lab because there is always some level of anxiousness that my tiny but unseen (bacterial) armies could come up with something new.
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by Sagamite(m): 10:24am On Aug 01, 2008
Ebonyj:

Saga,

Me like your jobn, lets swap places.I am really trying to get into the investment banking obut it is proving so difficult. Some of my friends have been lucky enough to get similar roles in Barclays and Morgan Stanley but it is well sha , holla if you need more info I might be able to help, although you sound to me like you already know what you are doing. The job is quite straight forward it is meeting up with the individuals gathering and collating their progress report and from the report I gather I can then deduce if the project is heading in the right direction, i dey talk too much wo laters, I meant to be working.

Sweetheart, if your hear anything like "investment banking" at the moment, my advice to you is to run like Carl Lewis except you are looking for redundancy.

Jejely stay in your safe environment for the next one year at least before you consider that switch.

The flow is:

Strategy Development --------> Implementation ----------> Performance measurement

I have done a bit of the first 2 phases and have a good understanding of them, so I am trying to build knowledge in the third phase to complete the toolbox.
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by jaybee3(m): 10:28am On Aug 01, 2008
Sagamite:

I might also be able to help ya on the performance metrics.
What targets/success are you trying to measure?
Does it have anything to do with statistics alas showing the results with graphical representation?
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by Sagamite(m): 10:58am On Aug 01, 2008
jay bee:

I might also be able to help ya on the performance metrics.
What targets/success are you trying to measure?
Does it have anything to do with statistics alas showing the results with graphical representation?

Hi Jay bee,

Thanks. I am not a the moment executing any performance work, I am just trying to build knowledge for my own sake.

It is not like if there is a pertinent work I have to complete.

From the little you have put, I guess it might be very technical what your knowledge base is. I am slowly trying to build a more high level knowledge like a Balanced Scorecard implementation.

Thanks anyway.
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by jaybee3(m): 11:27am On Aug 01, 2008
Sagamite:

Hi Jay bee,

Thanks. I am not a the moment executing any performance work, I am just trying to build knowledge for my own sake.

It is not like if there is a pertinent work I have to complete.

From the little you have put, I guess it might be very technical what your knowledge base is. I am slowly trying to build a more high level knowledge like a Balanced Scorecard implementation.

Thanks anyway.

Not very technical depending on what you are reporting on. For me, the data i use is normally put together by a little data manipulation, random data sampling, database activity reports and basic statistical calculations in excel to feed into a bigger picture which in turn is turned into a monthly metrics. I normally produce one first week of every month (I am about to start on July's figures).

As for balance scorecard, i don't deal with such directly but we do have a performance and monitoring department at my workplace and i think its used for strategic planning and management system to align business activities to the vision and strategy of the organization, improve internal and external communications, and monitor organization performance against strategic goals.
I can send you an example of a balance scorecard if u wish sha.
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by Sagamite(m): 11:37am On Aug 01, 2008
jay bee:

Not very technical depending on what you are reporting on. For me, the data i use is normally put together by a little data manipulation, random data sampling, database activity reports and basic statistical calculations in excel to feed into a bigger picture which in turn is turned into a monthly metrics. I normally produce one first week of every month (I am about to start on July's figures).

Homie, this part is very technical. You wan crack my skull? grin

jay bee:

As for balance scorecard, i don't deal with such directly but we do have a performance and monitoring department at my workplace and i think its used for strategic planning and management system to align business activities to the vision and strategy of the organization, improve internal and external communications, and monitor organization performance against strategic goals.
I can send you an example of a balance scorecard if u wish sha.

This is exactly my beans and ponmo. Linking performance to strategic goals.

See my email in my profile.
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by jaybee3(m): 12:07pm On Aug 01, 2008
Sent you an email. pls treat info as highly confidential
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by Sagamite(m): 1:37pm On Aug 01, 2008
jay bee:

Sent you an email. please treat info as highly confidential

Most Def.

Thanks.
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by FemiJohn1(m): 2:55am On Aug 02, 2008
Oga seun, what job are we talking about? when we were in secondary and pry school, there is a soccer skill they call "Any where belle face". larger number of people work like that. The is described by the kind of day. imagine having several bosses and no job description. What do we want to describe? Abeg ojere! make god just help us.

femijohn
riversideresource.com
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by FemiJohn1(m): 3:04am On Aug 02, 2008
Hi I am back to talk to myself as there is no one to help me on this matter. Yah! the issues is this, even corporate organisations do not key into their Job Description for several reasons. Lack of focus is key amongst many of their distractions. They want money and sometimes from any quarters, which make the to overflog their staff with undue resposibities. This is killing as it does not make the employee resourceful enough to deliver maximally.
Professionally, it could be said that we live in an uncoordinated career environment.
more to come latter

Femijohn
riversideresource@myway.com
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by KamiKaze2: 9:06am On Aug 04, 2008
I am what I am.
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by canladyluv: 11:51am On Aug 04, 2008
am a Secretary in the organization where i work for now, i love the nature of my job but i need to work in a better environment
Re: Can You Describe Your Job? by kojexemma: 12:41pm On Aug 05, 2008
I am Surveyor/Geomatician, we determine the relative position of points of an object on the surface of the earth relative to a known or fixed position/feature that is well acceptable by the government of a country, anytime you see us in your community, know that development is coming to that area. Our duties include and not limited to

1. determining the extent of land or property.
2. determining the route of pipeline, drainage, tunnel, road etc
3. setting out of points for the coordination of engineering work
4. Exploration and Explotation of minerial resources such as crude oil, tin, coal etc
5. Fixing of Crude oil well head
6. Monitoring of mega structures e.g crude oil tanks, gas tanks, high rise building for subsidence, tilting and deformation.
7. Dredging works, dept determination of seabed level by sounding.
8. Production of Maps, plans, Navigational charts
9. Production of Geographic information system

ETC

Very adventurous profession.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Tony Elumelu: The Sales Boy Turned Billionaire / 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs / Nigerians In Diaspora Support Mechanic Blessing, Abuja Female Mechanic (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.