Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,817 members, 7,810,138 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:29 PM

The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events (10298 Views)

Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? / For The Best Marquee Tents For Your Religious Events(rental And Sales). / What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by sholaadeyemo(m): 12:04pm On Dec 16, 2018
CocknBull:

Regardless of how you see it, they're both trying to justify their pay. Think about it, why will one get an invite, grace the occasion with his presence then ruin it talking gibberish. I tell you, that one will initiate a refund if part payment's been made or walk without pay at all. So, you think anyone will want to ruin such opportunity by cracking offensive jokes?
Have you me before? Do you know me at all? We crack joke you say - speak for yourself!
Here's why jokers are termed liars: you say something, get one or more people to react then turn around to say its a joke. You do it over and over till people take all that comes from your mouth as a joke or lie even when you being serious or telling the truth.
So, why will you want to be a joker, messing with peoples emotions. Unless you're making cash with it which to me is bullshit!
I have an in-law whose one and each time I hear/see him talk I change the dial or put off the device. Cause I hate to second guess what people say; it's too much work for my brain to process and such an emotional torment I can't stomach.
I hate jesters!!!
So the next time your brain tells you everyone's a joker; hm ...
You are missing it bro...comedy generally is exaggeration...you seeing a comedy already know the person is exaggerating and you laugh as a result of you being triggered by it...
Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by sholaadeyemo(m): 12:11pm On Dec 16, 2018
CEOwatazs:
legalizing lies in the house of God..... mst of DX comedies centers on lies to mk it catchy and funny.

but wetin concern mi

Its not liesss.kai..exageration guys...exageration. ...all the movies u watch..is it happening..did it happen...its just a fiction same as comedy being an exagerational fiction
Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by Nobody: 12:12pm On Dec 16, 2018
sholaadeyemo:

You are missing it bro...comedy generally is exaggeration...you seeing a comedy already know the person is exaggerating and you laugh as a result of you being triggered by it...
Good luck with that. I put the state of my emotion in the hands of no one.
I'm instinctively humorous; there's humor everywhere I turn. Why will I depend on someone to tickle me to.
The thought of it is already making my stomach rumble in disgust.
Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by Nobody: 12:17pm On Dec 16, 2018
sholaadeyemo:

Its not liesss.kai..exageration guys...exageration. ...all the movies u watch..is it happening..did it happen...its just a fiction same as comedy being an exagerational fiction
There you go again generalizing. Please look up genre on google if you don't have a dictionary installed that is. Next time you want to rent or download a movie, please consider the genre. Well, it pretty much depict the kind of movie you see.
Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by brilliant07(m): 12:52pm On Dec 16, 2018
To my own view, I dnt see anything wrong in comedy in Christian gathering..... Cos bible say in d presence of God there is fullness of joy.. So let look it this way in a gathering where nobody is happy how is it possible for Holy Spirit to move ....comedians dnt lie they always talks in parables...
Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by Petersamuel8(m): 1:05pm On Dec 16, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

Oga, you sound like someone that lacks comprehension. was Judaism (75% of Jews) also imposed on them? was Druze 1.7% imposed on Jews too? You missed the forest for trees so let me show you the forest. why is it that only 2% of Jews (who's ancestors lived during Jesus time) believe Jesus died for them but 48.3 of Nigerians who simply read a book do the same?
good you agreed with me that islam was imposed on them now to answer your questions "is left for the Israelis to accept or refuse jesus christ" jesus never force anybody to follow him besides the bible says "a prophet is not recognised by his own people" so I don't expect them to believe christ.

1 Like

Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by Trybes(m): 1:08pm On Dec 16, 2018
In my opinion comedians should be barred from performing in Churches.

1 Like

Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by iamsonofthunder: 1:53pm On Dec 16, 2018
God is speaking to you, do not join the crowd .

Read Ephesians 5:4
Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by OyinO: 1:57pm On Dec 16, 2018
hopefulLandlord:
Christianity and churches in Nigeria is comdey

what could be more funny than a Nigerian believing the son of a Jewish folklore carpenter killed by three nails like a common thief in a small Israeli village 2000 years ago died for their sins when the Jews themselves don't buy that?

do these people know that there are far more Muslims and Judaism adherents in Israel than there are Christians?

The religious affiliation of the Israeli population as of 2011 was 75.4% Judaism, 16.9% Muslim , 2.1% Christian and 1.7% Druze , with the remaining 4.0% belonging to minor faiths such as Samaritanism, Baha'iism or no religion

these are people whose ancestors lived during the time and saw this Jesus live and die but they don't believe he was dying for them

but a Nigerian read from a book and concluded that 97.9% of the Jews are wrong because logic favours storytelling over experiencing something, Amirite you must know Obasanjo more than the people living with and around him because you read Punch newspapers and check internet for news about him. The worst part is the book they read and conclude on is a slavery endorsing book handed to their ancestors by their pink skinned slavemasters

just try to imagine how funny its gonna look if you travel to the US and see most Americans worshipping Murtala Mohammed, saying he died for them grin

every Nigerian Christian is a comedian tongue
i wanted to comment until I saw that you have done justice to the subject matter. kudos
Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by cbrass(m): 2:17pm On Dec 16, 2018
calculator123:

Ranchoddas is a known atheist on NL except you are new in the religion section

Oh I didn't know cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by cbrass(m): 2:26pm On Dec 16, 2018
InansBobo:
heaven is his abode, earth his footstool; his presence is everywhere, provided 2 or 3 are gathered and in his name. That is why some churches do worship in the hotel, fellowships know classrooms and lecture halls. What is necessary is to believe and see that GOD IS HERE and we're offering him our worship

That God is Present at a gathering doesn't make it the house Of God. When a building is consecrated and dedicated to be used to worship God, then it becomes HIS house. Even to everything used in that house. That is why the things belonging to God must be used with all reference. Those places u mentioned are just borrowed places. In presenting somethings to God we should be very careful, remember David was stopped by God from building HIM a house because his hands was full of blood. Dont also forget that Jesus chased away those that were selling and buying in the house of God, didnt Jesus know that God lives in the heavens so why did he call the temple the house of God. Jesting in the church or religious gathering is totally appauling and ridiculous.
Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by mechanics(m): 2:54pm On Dec 16, 2018
It's very wrong, whatever comes from the pulpit to the pew must be the truth and only the truth now lies.
Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by PhenomenalMorgan(m): 3:14pm On Dec 16, 2018
cbrass:
Are you a heaven bound Christian at all cry
See Jamb Question undecided
Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by crunchyg: 3:26pm On Dec 16, 2018
adubam:

There's a lot wrong with it. I attended the fist Experience event 13years ago and I vowed never to go there. Gordons was just abusing all the pastors there including Oyedepo that Moses' shoes were so bad that God screamed that he should pull it off but current pastors' shoes are so shining that God does not need to tell them to pull if off. That's abuse of God's word. Can you say that against the Koran. I pity the set of humans we have these days anything goes.
Oga what is fiction and tell me the difference between what fiction writers do and what these people do?
Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by crunchyg: 3:31pm On Dec 16, 2018
CocknBull:

Regardless of how you see it, they're both trying to justify their pay. Think about it, why will one get an invite, grace the occasion with his presence then ruin it talking gibberish. I tell you, that one will initiate a refund if part payment's been made or walk without pay at all. So, you think anyone will want to ruin such opportunity by cracking offensive jokes?
Have you me before? Do you know me at all? We crack joke you say - speak for yourself!
Here's why jokers are termed liars: you say something, get one or more people to react then turn around to say its a joke. You do it over and over till people take all that comes from your mouth as a joke or lie even when you being serious or telling the truth.
So, why will you want to be a joker, messing with peoples emotions. Unless you're making cash with it which to me is bullshit!
I have an in-law whose one and each time I hear/see him talk I change the dial or put off the device. Cause I hate to second guess what people say; it's too much work for my brain to process and such an emotional torment I can't stomach.
I hate jesters!!!
So the next time your brain tells you everyone's a joker; hm ...
Oga forget about pay, no church will ever invite any body to come and crack a dirty or offensive joke simple. Secondly if you understand what fiction is in writing then you will understand well what those guys are doing, its exactly the same its just that they are comic when delivering their fiction. If you don't know know Fiction is simply ( Make believe Stories that are not true but you are made to believe that they are true) so with this understanding you will know that there is nothing different from what those guys do and the fiction stories you read in books and find nothing wrong with them.
Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by UncletC: 3:57pm On Dec 16, 2018
Can comedy key anyone into the spirit realm? songs does, messages does, prayer does, drama does..

comedy to me is one activity that can make your service a come back to the body status.... it just pleases only the physical senses.
would Jesus have allowed comedy if he was physically present? what would his whip be doing? lying idly? not all talents are needed for church service....
Comedy should go to the King's court..
a comedian (jester) should avoid church no matter how heavily paid....
this unserious GOs are not helping you......no serious spirit filled believers would support comedy in the place of worship except the children of vipers
Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by Nobody: 4:01pm On Dec 16, 2018
crunchyg:

Oga forget about pay, no church will ever invite any body to come and crack a dirty or offensive joke simple. Secondly if you understand what fiction is in writing then you will understand well what those guys are doing, its exactly the same its just that they are comic when delivering their fiction. If you don't know know Fiction is simply ( Make believe Stories that are not true but you are made to believe that they are true) so with this understanding you will know that there is nothing different from what those guys do and the fiction stories you read in books and find nothing wrong with them.
Fiction stories I read? You know me? Hm...
Apologies brother, I'm a sucker for fictional material of any sort including the one who disseminate it. The ones who does appeals to my senses as fake ass fellows and they disgust me! To be around them one has to be fake himself; as feeble as I am, I no get power and might for such - I'm a realist.
Fiction takes you to a place of make belief, by the time you snap out of such delusion you'll be really disappointed at your stagnation.
Sit under the tutelage of something that grows you... He said fiction... Hm... Pathetic!
Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by HomeOfMe(f): 4:04pm On Dec 16, 2018
suregalluv:
The little period I have used in observing some events, Christian concerts and crusades, I have noticed that most of them include comedy and I am like "why comedy, what's the essence?" I learnt that all presentations must have a message or messages it is conveying ( I don't know if all churches keep to that).

I don't still understand why comedy should be included. What message is it passing across? What value does it add to one's spiritual life? Was there a point or a verse in the Bible where we were told to crack jokes ( of which more than 80% of them are all lies)? It is getting so annoying that at a point you cannot tell the difference between a secular and nonsecular event in a church gathering.

During The Experience 13, there was no message/moral lesson/value in the jokes told and then the recognition of some dignitaries which almost made it look it a political gathering was irrelevant and uncalled for.

We should always note that all gatherings are to bring one closer to Christ, worship Him and everything thing that has to do with glorifying God not just going to return with nothing to hold on to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcQBPy2FObg
Comedy in church started through special programes like singles/ couples events,pastor's birthdays,church anniversaries,etc,not like they organize comedy shows during sunday service.
Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by Princealex1(m): 4:07pm On Dec 16, 2018
There's no place for argument, comedy in the church is absolutely wrong Eph. 5:4
Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by UncletC: 4:12pm On Dec 16, 2018
crunchyg:

but we don't need fiction in Church now... gospel and fiction are two opposite dispositions
Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by Nobody: 4:18pm On Dec 16, 2018
Princealex1:
There's no place for argument, comedy in the church is absolutely wrong Eph. 5:4
It's a deceptive way of infusing humor into the service to appeal to the senses of those who're not tickled by the word/musical ministration. That way, they don't go back regretting why they showed up. Now they have a reason to come again and not just them this time but with their friends and family. It's man-made strategy of growing the church - suckers!!!!
Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by Princealex1(m): 4:21pm On Dec 16, 2018
CocknBull:

It's a deceptive way of infusing humor into the service to appeal to the senses of those who're not tickled by the word/musical ministration. That way, they don't go back regretting why they showed up. Now they have a reason to come again and not just them this time but with their friends and family. It's man-made strategy of growing the church - suckers!!!!

True
Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by dederocs(m): 5:23pm On Dec 16, 2018
Some of the men of the pulpit are comedians and dramatists themselves grin
Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by dederocs(m): 5:24pm On Dec 16, 2018
UncletC:

but we don't need fiction in Church now... gospel and fiction are two opposite dispositions
Do you watch fiction drama, movies, etc?
Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by biztip: 12:22am On Dec 17, 2018
most churches have metamorphosed into amphi theaters from place of worship
Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by Casemiro(m): 7:07am On Dec 17, 2018
> it is well

choi shocked big momas garden
Natural home remedies
Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by InansBobo(m): 12:44pm On Dec 17, 2018
cbrass:

That God is Present at a gathering doesn't make it the house Of God. When a building is consecrated and dedicated to be used to worship God, then it becomes HIS house. Even to everything used in that house. That is why the things belonging to God must be used with all reference. Those places u mentioned are just borrowed places. In presenting somethings to God we should be very careful, remember David was stopped by God from building HIM a house because his hands was full of blood. Dont also forget that Jesus chased away those that were selling and buying in the house of God, didnt Jesus know that God lives in the heavens so why did he call the temple the house of God. Jesting in the church or religious gathering is totally appauling and ridiculous.
according to Pastor Rick, the author of Purpose driven life, our daily living: eating, talking, schooling, laughter, dancing, marriage, wedding, hair plaiting, driving, you name it; can be seen as worship to God provided it's not outside the will of God and not against the desires of God.
Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by cbrass(m): 9:04pm On Dec 17, 2018
InansBobo:
according to Pastor Rick, the author of Purpose driven life, our daily living: eating, talking, schooling, laughter, dancing, marriage, wedding, hair plaiting, driving, you name it; can be seen as worship to God provided it's not outside the will of God and not against the desires of God.

I know where you are going. Some people think God is their mate or a man that they can do as it pleases them. Now worship and honor goes together. Our worship is meaningless if we do not honor God in all those categories you mentioned. You don't go before God and start jesting or acting foolishly and you call that worshiping God, the other day Gordons cracked a very expensive joke about the Blood of Jesus finishing
Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by InansBobo(m): 8:21am On Dec 19, 2018
cbrass:

I know where you are going. Some people think God is their mate or a man that they can do as it pleases them. Now worship and honor goes together. Our worship is meaningless if we do not honor God in all those categories you mentioned. You don't go before God and start jesting or acting foolishly and you call that worshiping God, the other day Gordons cracked a very expensive joke about the Blood of Jesus finishing
well, that's where they do get it wrong, I don't support that; anything that stands to mock some Christian virtues. The church I worship doesn't do that though maybe because of those wrongdoings.
Thank you!

Now, you as a Christian, if you attend a comedy show in maybe a hotel or event center and these things you picked out (these mockery to Christianity) are being brought up as jokes eg blood of Jesus, speaking in tongues etc, will you feel OK just because it's not inside a church?
Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by cbrass(m): 11:11pm On Dec 19, 2018
InansBobo:
well, that's where they do get it wrong, I don't support that; anything that stands to mock some Christian virtues. The church I worship doesn't do that though maybe because of those wrongdoings.
Thank you!

Now, you as a Christian, if you attend a comedy show in maybe a hotel or event center and these things you picked out (these mockery to Christianity) are being brought up as jokes eg blood of Jesus, speaking in tongues etc, will you feel OK just because it's not inside a church?

I still will not feel okay
Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by UncletC: 1:05pm On Dec 23, 2018
dederocs:

Do you watch fiction drama, movies, etc?

so we should introduce fiction into church, really. you must be a joker.... my friend, I have watch touching soul drama that got me crying over my relationship with God...
Sir joker. comedy only satisfy the flesh..... repent ooooo, church does not need fiction. take it to clubs....
Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by UncletC: 1:10pm On Dec 23, 2018
brilliant07:
To my own view, I dnt see anything wrong in comedy in Christian gathering..... Cos bible say in d presence of God there is fullness of joy.. So let look it this way in a gathering where nobody is happy how is it possible for Holy Spirit to move ....comedians dnt lie they always talks in parables...
man, if the word of God does not give Joy, what will? you don't even know 2% of the Bible, you wouldn't vomit this comment... you are so far from knowing what gives joy,,,,, happiness is momentary based on your comedy but joy is indebt from within and it is the word of God and spirit that does that

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) / What Is The Difference Between Miracle And Blessing? / 7 Secrets That Brought Bishop David Oyedepo To The Top In Ministry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.