Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,293 members, 7,811,882 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:07 PM

Lady Duped Of N482K With Fake Alert - Crime (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Lady Duped Of N482K With Fake Alert (43246 Views)

She Was Duped Of N20,000 / Enugu Big Boy Caught After Buying A Phone Worth N200k With Fake Alert (Video) / Married Side Chic Duped Of N850k By Her Married Lover In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lady Duped Of N482K With Fake Alert by idrezee(m): 11:18pm On Dec 14, 2018
sammyuche:
Cant blame her. But close inspection she wld notice the alert came from a mobile number. Not the bank. They already composed the format of the message for all different banks so it would seem like a real alert. This country is just getting worse day by day.
She is just plain dumb, actually they can even do it and it will look like the alert came from the bank, there is an online platform for that. The alert will look like its from the bank.
Number one don't give out the number you use in receiving alerts to customers.
Don't tell customers your balance, because if the alert is fake they won't know your previous balance so they can add to the money transfered to you because after Every credit and debit alert your new balance must be revealed. Now how did the robbers get to know that her previous balance was 3k before adding it to the 482k to make it 485k as the new balance. This story has lies written all over it and if its true then she is the dumbest human dead or alive.

1 Like

Re: Lady Duped Of N482K With Fake Alert by EbukaHades10(m): 11:21pm On Dec 14, 2018
frozen70:

Lol
Honestly that's a bad wish
Nwokem, withdraw it
Aiit,i'm sorry if it offended anybody but I didn't mean it as an insult. She get face like person wey fit fall for am again.

P.s. I no dey like argue with woman bcus na them be my weakness
Re: Lady Duped Of N482K With Fake Alert by sjules(m): 12:43am On Dec 15, 2018
Somene should tell her that her sales rep or sales girl is complicit, she should be questioned. There's no way on earth they could have sent the SMS without knowing the girl's phone number. Forget the fact that the image bears 'Nkiru's shop' as the sender or anything for that matter, it's way too easy to have the sender name display as the bank name.
Fake alert is just too cheap to be a hit with me (no bragging intended). Just be observant and use your intelligence to connect the dots.
Fool-proof security measures if you want to keep accepting electronic transfers are: get a brand new sim card and change your alert number to the new sim card's phone number, and also always login to your internet banking or chack balance via ussd after receiving alert if you are concerned about compromise by your bank's staff.
Do not give out this new phone number, and don't associate it with your business (putting it on banners, fliers etc.), just keep it private, and you'll be totally safe.
Re: Lady Duped Of N482K With Fake Alert by frozen70(f): 12:49am On Dec 15, 2018
EbukaHades10:
Aiit,i'm sorry if it offended anybody but I didn't mean it as an insult. She get face like person wey fit fall for am again.

P.s. I no dey like argue with woman bcus na them be my weakness

Lol

Correct guy spotted
You will survive any kind of woman, if you don't to argue with her.

Keep it up
Re: Lady Duped Of N482K With Fake Alert by sjules(m): 1:06am On Dec 15, 2018
makavele:
Disregard text message alerts.

If i ainr seeing an email alert, i login into mobile banking
or use USSD codes.

Na who born the maga

And you're making it out to look like email messages are the safest thing ever. An email is among the easiest things that can be easily spoofed.
If your alert email is the same as your business email and it's public knowledge, and you're not observant enough, or somehow a privileged staff of your bank connives with criminals, you're screwed. Do you even know your bank's alert email address?

1 Like

Re: Lady Duped Of N482K With Fake Alert by sjules(m): 2:13am On Dec 15, 2018
phoenix45:
warning to desperate marketers or business people.
I can get the balance of any person so far I have your phone number using a short code.

So don't be surprised when you were sent fake alert because the scammer might have checked your balance already using that method.
Don't inbox me for the process because its a lesson I learnt.
and am never a scammer

Am I supposed to believe this crap?
Checking Balance using SMS option doesn't work if the phone number is not linked to the bank account, at least with GTBank. And you said you can get account balance of any person.
I'd like you to get mine too.
Re: Lady Duped Of N482K With Fake Alert by Hoodbilonia: 5:43am On Dec 15, 2018
u r dull
u shud af known your acct balance before the alert
so if u had 900nairs left and alert entee for 430k
it shud be 430k.090 ngn as balance
i cant get duped
nahh
i get the app
i get all the numbers
i get dagger
and well krav maga skills
i cant be fooled
naah
Re: Lady Duped Of N482K With Fake Alert by Hoodbilonia: 5:49am On Dec 15, 2018
my windows are tinted
i drive with speed
opl dey give me chqnce for road
cos am a mad road user
i dey atm stand fear go let scammer talk to me
na
i hardly smile
and im always on dark shades
i talk to no one
lefulefu:
there was one that happened here some months back in one bank. A 15 yr old girl was given 150k by her uncle to go and cash into the bank. She went to the bank with the money got confused on wat to do and a well dressed man on suit and tie approached her asked wat was d problem. She told him she had no idea on how to cash the money given to her and the money collected the 150k from her promising to help her and he just disappeared just like dat. Scammers are everywhere. Even on ATM queues if ur card has an issue and someone tells u hand him over the card dont do it. He could be an expert scammer who switches cards with his fingers.it happens most of the time.
Re: Lady Duped Of N482K With Fake Alert by makavele: 9:52am On Dec 15, 2018
sjules:

And you're making it out to look like email messages are the safest thing ever. An email is among the easiest things that can be easily spoofed.
If your alert email is the same as your business email and it's public knowledge, and you're not observant enough, or somehow an authoritative staff of your bank connives with criminals, you're screwed. Do you even know your bank's alert email address?

Yes I know my bank' email address and you have to know
which email I used for banking unlike text alert that requires my phone number. As a customer, you can easily get my phone number but not my banking email, unless of course there is somebody behind the bank's desk pulling the strings
Re: Lady Duped Of N482K With Fake Alert by einsteine(m): 3:21pm On Dec 15, 2018
DONADAMS:
even at that...how will they know what was in your account previously to make it tally with your balance after the transaction? is jazz involved?

Insiders. In any case, always login to your bank app or online to verify your balance. An alert is just a message. Sometimes you don't even get alerts for successful transactions.
Re: Lady Duped Of N482K With Fake Alert by DONADAMS(m): 3:53pm On Dec 15, 2018
einsteine:

Insiders. In any case, always login to your bank app or online to verify your balance. An alert is just a message. Sometimes you don't even get alerts for successful transactions.
ohhh..I really need that mobile internet banking. this GTB people said I can't configure the app from the comfort of my home except I go to the bank... nonsense!
Re: Lady Duped Of N482K With Fake Alert by omakay(m): 6:52pm On Dec 15, 2018
DONADAMS:
ohhh..I really need that mobile internet banking. this GTB people said I can't configure the app from the comfort of my home except I go to the bank... nonsense!

You would have to enter any GT bank nearest to you and apply for Internet banking.

Your details then get emailed to you.

For computer based transactions, you will need to get a token.
Re: Lady Duped Of N482K With Fake Alert by Decryptor(m): 7:08am On Dec 16, 2018
noble71:
I don't believe that crap up there. When has Bank Name turned to Nkiru shop? Then fake transfer does not Show your real account balance except they worked with an insider in the bank. So this looks like staged stuff to get cheap attention.

The story is fake! That useless Rant Hq is known to approve rubbish from those their idle members
Re: Lady Duped Of N482K With Fake Alert by Decryptor(m): 7:10am On Dec 16, 2018
Holumhidey:
but the gyl fine sha....

You obviously don't know what the word "fine" means. undecided
Re: Lady Duped Of N482K With Fake Alert by scantee(m): 9:24am On Dec 16, 2018
All of you asking questions how they get the girl phone number are really funny, they can easily ask her pretending they are filling out the transfer form just the way they ask her account number.

Secondary, the transfer didn't come from any phone number, it was the manager that screenshot the alert message the sales girl sent to her, and I believe she saved the sales girl number as Nkiru Shop on her phone.

The format was well perfected, if your familiar with online banking/transfer you will notice apps like quicker tellers displays beneficial information including numbers when you want to make transfer to them.

The only thing that is confusing here is how they figured out the girl previous balance before the transfer was made.

But also if your operating an account with a standing order, you can easily send money to somebody account and withheld it bank within that short period of standing order or second level security verification, this is done in collobration with your bank, especially when the money is huge or above the amount you set on your beneficial as maximum limit.
Re: Lady Duped Of N482K With Fake Alert by sjules(m): 9:00pm On Dec 16, 2018
makavele:

Yes I know my bank' email address and you have to know
which email I used for banking unlike text alert that requires my phone number. As a customer, you can easily get my phone number but not my banking email, unless of course there is somebody behind the bank's desk pulling the strings

Bros, I can easily spoof an email such that the sender's email address would appear the same as your bank's alert email address, and trust me this will get into your inbox (not into spam) if your bank's mail system doesn't have proper spf, dkim & dmarc records.
So my point is whether it's phone number or email, just make sure both or either isn't public knowledge, if you're using your bank account for business. Use a phone number or email no one knows and which you don't give out, and you'll be much safer.
Re: Lady Duped Of N482K With Fake Alert by makavele: 9:49pm On Dec 16, 2018
sjules:

Bros, I can easily spoof an email such that the sender's email address would appear the same as your bank's alert email address, and trust me this will get into your inbox (not into spam) if your bank's mail system doesn't have a proper DMARC record.
So my point is whether it's phone number or email, just make sure both or either isn't public knowledge, if you're using your bank account for business. Use a number or email no one knows and which you don't give out, and you'll be much safer.

I understand how email spoofing works.
A simple email header trace would give it away
Re: Lady Duped Of N482K With Fake Alert by sjules(m): 9:59pm On Dec 18, 2018
makavele:

I understand how email spoofing works.
A simple email header trace would give it away

I'm sorry if this sounds mean, what would you look out for in the email header? Never mind!
What guarantee do you have that the originating IP address of your bank's authentic mail server would be the same everyday, everytime? What if several servers are hosting the same mailing system?
Re: Lady Duped Of N482K With Fake Alert by makavele: 1:23am On Dec 19, 2018
sjules:

I'm sorry if this sounds mean, what would you look out for in the email header? Never mind!
What guarantee do you have that the originating IP address of your bank's authentic mailing server would be the same everyday, everytime? What if the said mailing server is behind a NAT device or several servers are hosting the same mailing system on different clients (anycast addressing-like)?

You don't sound mean. It's all good but if you
had bothered to go through a few of my recent posts,
you would notice that I lecture PHP classes
and I mean advanced classes.
server requests and interpretation just happen
to be the very basics. So before these words leave your
mouth, I already know what they are!
So when I say I won't fall for such a scam, whether via text message or emails, I knew what I was saying
Re: Lady Duped Of N482K With Fake Alert by sjules(m): 7:44pm On Dec 19, 2018
makavele:

You don't sound mean. It's all good but if you
had bothered to go through a few of my recent posts,
you would notice that I lecture PHP classes
and I mean advanced classes.
server requests and interpretation just happen
to be the very basics. So before these words leave your
mouth, I already know what they are!
So when I say I won't fall for such a scam, whether via text message or emails, I knew what I was saying

Yeah! I know you're tech savvy and all. Besides, what most email spoofers use is PHP mailing script and that's easy to detect because no programmer would get employed by a corporation to sit behind a desk and be sending emails. What if I told you an email could now be spoofed and you'd see a standard mail client, like Outlook, in the email header. Although this is not for petty thieves because it requires a certain level of skill.
That aside, my point is email is not as safe as you made it out to be in your first comment. In fact you can't put complete trust in anything that has a connection to a network whether the internet (email in this case) or mobile/cellular network (text message in this case).
The major cause of this problem is the negligence of our service providers in putting basic security measures in place or outright security flaws in many protocols (the designers just wanted to make it happen quickly without thinking about how the bad guys could exploit their inventions in future).
Sometimes, simple solutions are much more effective than elaborate checks and scrutiny. In this case, using an email or phone number no one else knows removes other actors from the game except rogue bank staff.
Imagine you having a big business and you do business with some miscreants who actually have the ability to spoof every damn thing.
So I'm not here to argue, I just wanted you, and everyone, to know that nothing is fool-proof. Stay blessed.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Man Caught Making Incantations With Fetish Items At A Cemetery In Rivers State / Man Rapes His 17-Year-Old Daughter In Lagos, Turns Her Into His Sex Object / Prostitute Fights Man Who Gave Her N3k Instead Of The Agreed N5k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.