Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,047 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:43 AM

42 Students From Lagos Jet Out For Leadership Training In South Africa. (pics) - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 42 Students From Lagos Jet Out For Leadership Training In South Africa. (pics) (9949 Views)

Osinbajo And El-Rufai Jet Out To London For A Meeting / Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership / 2015: Obasanjo Calls For Leadership Change (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 42 Students From Lagos Jet Out For Leadership Training In South Africa. (pics) by babapupa: 4:17am On Aug 12, 2010
texazzpete:

That's a surprise! You've been doing that all day.

Why waste my time on redundancy? You are not making any sense and what you are suggesting is not only ridiculously s/tupid and counterproductive, it defeats the propose.
Re: 42 Students From Lagos Jet Out For Leadership Training In South Africa. (pics) by Nobody: 4:18am On Aug 12, 2010
texazzpete:

Why not bring these people here to Nigeria to deliver the leadership training? This would ensure that loads more kids are exposed to the training.

I'm not convinced that this is the best way to spend taxpayers' money. Just my 2 cents.

Abi o cool
Re: 42 Students From Lagos Jet Out For Leadership Training In South Africa. (pics) by texazzpete(m): 5:59am On Aug 12, 2010
babapupa:

Why waste my time on redundancy? You are not making any sense and what you are suggesting is not only ridiculously s/tupid and counterproductive, it defeats the propose.

Yep. Instead of wasting time on Nairaland insulting your betters, you could put more effort in learning how to spell 'purpose'.
Re: 42 Students From Lagos Jet Out For Leadership Training In South Africa. (pics) by texazzpete(m): 6:04am On Aug 12, 2010
mystikal:

So sending 42 lucky kids to South Africa for just a week will cripple the Lagos Economy?

So something has to have the potential to cripple the Lagos state economy before it becomes a sub-optimal use of taxpayers' money abi?

Here's an analogy; If given a choice between building a skills acquisition center for 2000 Niger Delta ex-militants or to use that same money to send 150 ex-militants to the UK for skills acquisition, which option would you pick?
Re: 42 Students From Lagos Jet Out For Leadership Training In South Africa. (pics) by agitator: 9:42am On Aug 12, 2010
texazzpete

There is nothing you will say to babapupa that makes sense as long as he is the spokesman/pro. His job is to defend his master's programs.  When he's out, the same babapupa will start crying foul.

Before the advent of colonization and even during the colonial era, some local people who traveled came back and developed their societies/communities.  As pointed out by you, all our senators/representatives and governors have traveled out, going for holidays, medical treatment, etc and yet nothing to show for it.  They have seen how hospitals are run, electricity is provided, good roads are constructed, etc, yet haven't replicated it.  Some 42 kids spending SEVEN (7) days in SA is the miracle tonic we need to change Nigeria?  Ibori was governor of a state for 8years, looted the state and invested the funds in Dubai (he must have been traveling out all the time).
Re: 42 Students From Lagos Jet Out For Leadership Training In South Africa. (pics) by dlox01(m): 10:44am On Aug 12, 2010
texazzpete:

And how much value does travelling overseas add? We're talking of exposing more kids to this leadership training, is flying 40 kids overseas better value than importing the training courses for 200 kids?

You'll fly in a few folk and lodge and feed them. Even you should be able to see that this is definitely going to be cheaper than taking 40 kids to SA. And i'm not sure what 'culture' any learning administrators will imbibe if they spend one week in a Lagos hotel.

Also, since when did it take flying overseas to learn about other people? This is just lazy talk. Just by watching documentaries, movies and reading books i know a whole lot about the culture of others.
Your stubborn insistence on overseas travel as a major way of assimilating culture shows you failed to take advantage of such learning opportunities when you were young. Your loss, not mine.

PS: Most of our thieving politicians have travelled overseas to more functional societies - what good has that done for Nigeria?

in our universities/institutions, people from foreign countries deliver all sorts of seminars and issue certificates but how much has it impacted on the people they deliever these lectures to?i can guarantee u that they are just intrested in the certifcate and meals. i really have to ask you if you have ever travelled out of this country to bag anything and how u felt when u came back? just seeing a country like south africa without lectures is enough for you to comeback and cry for a change.
infact, i think the governor has shot himself in the foot(coz he is brave enough to), sending those kids to another african country that is more developed than ours would make them raise eyebrows and ask questions like, y are we where we are, and the reply would be: our leaders!!!hopefuly someday these kids wouldnt want to be like our present day leaders coz dev seen the light. If lagos state can afford it sef i would say they should take everyone in the state to SA lol. coz another problem we have is our mentality.
because you give someone props dosnt mean you are less of a man, give it to Fashola, give it to Babapupa, give it to mystikal, give it to psdave,Jencejyde grin and most of all, give it to me grin grin grin grin cool LMAO
Re: 42 Students From Lagos Jet Out For Leadership Training In South Africa. (pics) by Jencejyde(m): 11:02am On Aug 12, 2010
psdave:

we need more of dis in d whole Nigga, I just came from 4rm NYSC camp, if u see wat Nigeria is producin as fresh graduates, they know nothing about True Leadership.so hw will d so-called future leaders lead??
hahahah grin grin grin and unfortunately our dear leader, uncle david mark wants NYSC to now run for two years, when our education is in shambles, Pity!!

texazzpete:

Why not bring these people here to Nigeria to deliver the leadership training? This would ensure that loads more kids are exposed to the training.

I'm not convinced that this is the best way to spend taxpayers' money. Just my 2 cents.
you have a point sir, but let's take a look at it from this angle, These are UNDERPRIVILEGED kids and the exposure and opportunity provided by this trip is not too different from what happens in schools like British Lekki Intl or Grange Intl where excursions outside the country is organized for students every now and then.

The difference here is that these other kids are from wealthy homes and can easily afford to pay for their trips, but the ones in focus can hardly dream of such. Is it not fair that the state in which they reside give such an opportunity to them based on their good academic performances, asides many other benefits?

Of course in the long run, ceteris paribus(all things being equal) more kids could be involved and other options considered,

dlox01:

in our universities/institutions, people from foreign countries deliver all sorts of seminars and issue certificates but how much has it impacted on the people they deliever these lectures to?i can guarantee u that they are just intrested in the certifcate and meals. i really have to ask you if you have ever travelled out of this country to bag anything and how u felt when u came back? just seeing a country like south africa without lectures is enough for you to comeback and cry for a change.
infact, i think the governor has shot himself in the foot(coz he is brave enough to), sending those kids to another african country that is more developed than ours would make them raise eyebrows and ask questions like, y are we where we are, and the reply would be: our leaders!!!hopefuly someday these kids wouldnt want to be like our present day leaders coz dev seen the light. If lagos state can afford it sef i would say they should take everyone in the state to SA lol. coz another problem we have is our mentality.
because you give someone props dosnt mean you are less of a man, give it to Fashola, give it to Babapupa, give it to mystikal, give it to psdave,Jencejyde grin and most of all, give it to me grin grin grin grin cool LMAO
Nice one, laugh wan kill me here!!!!
Re: 42 Students From Lagos Jet Out For Leadership Training In South Africa. (pics) by babapupa: 3:16pm On Aug 12, 2010
texazzpete:

Yep. Instead of wasting time on Nairaland insulting your betters, you could put more effort in learning how to spell 'purpose'.

Still doesn't mean I should waste my time entertaining silly and mindless arguments. The article clearly articulated why the kids are in SA and what they are doing in SA. The kids themselves explained the importance of the trip and what they hope to gain and bring back to their constituencies. As usual for so many mouth runners, I bet you did not read the article, the standard practice is to just run mouth and criticize. lol @ fly in teachers? How dumb and silly can you be?

These are the smartest and brightest kids in the state of Lagos, they are our future. Equating these bright and innocent kids with a criminal like Ibori clearly highlights your hate, stupidity, callousness and shady mentality.

Like I said before, the kids are in SA, the state is fine, Lagosians are not crying, I'm happy for the kids, I'm happy for their proud parents and I'm happy for the people of the great state of Lagos state, I'm glad that our leaders are making the commitment and spending our money to give our kids the best education and opportunities in life and if you don't like it, kill yourself and spare us the nonsense caveman and backward talk.
Re: 42 Students From Lagos Jet Out For Leadership Training In South Africa. (pics) by jason12345: 1:34am On Sep 11, 2010
serious waste of money but it's cool for the students cool
Re: 42 Students From Lagos Jet Out For Leadership Training In South Africa. (pics) by babapupa: 1:41am On Sep 11, 2010
jason12345:

serious waste of money but it's cool for the students cool

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Hundreds Of PDP Members Decamp To APGA In Imo / Are Afikpo People Igbos? / Petrol Scarcity Looms Again As NUPENG Threatens Strike Over Sack Of Workers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.