Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,188 members, 7,822,009 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:12 AM

Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? (23407 Views)

According To Psychologist, There Are Three Types Of Intelligence. / Is proficency In Mathematics a measure of Intelligence? / English Is A Language Not A Measure Of Intelligence. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by erico2k2(m): 1:02pm On Dec 19, 2018
StylesX:
I saw what a corper posted on fb today and i posted it on my status, so some aggressive girl picked offense and started saying many things, English is not a measure of intelligence is all i could pick from all she said, and i decided to bring the argument here, contributions please.
Nop it is not,the vast majority of the world's country do not speak English. Check how many countries in Europe speak English.
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by Gerrard59(m): 1:03pm On Dec 19, 2018
Chukwuemeka007:
The title of this thread ought to be:

"IS FLUENCY IN A LINGUA FRANCA A MEASURE OF INTELLIGENCE?"

So all the Chinese, German, Indian, French, etc crew will get a better understanding of the subject matter.

As a Nigerian, having gone through 6-3-3-4/5, you ought to have a very good command of the English language because you were taught with it from kindergarten through to the university/polytechnic and you even studied it as a subject.

On the issue of correlation between fluency (in English as a Nigerian) and intelligence, it's not a straight forward thing because: Some Nigerians aren't fluent or can't even speak English at all but they are smart and intelligent in their dealing, but as a Nigerian Secondary School/University/Polytechnic graduate, it can't be ruled off.

Thank you very much oh!

I wonder the equation to Indians, Germans and the likes when English is NOT THEIR OFFICIAL LANGUAGE. It's odd for a native Chinese not to understand Chinese so there's no excuse for someone who passed through stages of learning where English was used not to write, speak and understand English.

1 Like

Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by spiritedtete: 1:04pm On Dec 19, 2018
Gerrard59:

Reasoning is part of intelligence ditto mastery of the language. There is no IQ test that doesn't involve verbal reasoning in whatever language of choice.

Correct too... So you see you can't use fluency of language to measure intelligence.

Intellect goes deeper than just being fluent in a particular language.

1 Like

Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by erico2k2(m): 1:05pm On Dec 19, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:
While English language is not a measure of intelligence, it is expected that one who is educated in Nigeria should have good command or average command of the language considering that it is both the language of business and the language of teaching/learning.

That said, a university graduate with terrible command of English language cannot be said to be intelligent, if she/he was, she/he wouldn't have terrible command of the language.

Thank You
I don't think you can ever be fluent in English schooling in Nigeria.cos U will still pronounce word's like Edinburgh and Tottenham or illegal wrong
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by musicwriter(m): 1:10pm On Dec 19, 2018
StylesX:
I saw what a corper posted on fb today and i posted it on my status, so some aggressive girl picked offense and started saying many things, English is not a measure of intelligence is all i could pick from all she said, and i decided to bring the argument here, contributions please.

In neighboring Benin Republic, they're also asking; is Fluency In French Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence?"

In Angola, they're also asking; is Fluency In Portuguese Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence?"

In neighboring Guinea, they're also asking; is Fluency In Spanish Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence?"

See, when Europeans were rampaging across the world enslaving and colonizing people, their policy included destroying the languages of conquered territories and imposing their own language as the language of "intelligence". This will make the conquered people equate intelligence to the slave master. In other words, they'll render you useless in your own capacity to think for yourself in your language without them as your reference for excellence. This's one of the reasons we're stuck in Africa, not realizing that the white man is liar and that there's nothing English or French can do that our native languages cannot do.

So, do you now see why you asked the question; is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? You've been conditioned to associate intelligence to your master.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by ehinmowo: 1:12pm On Dec 19, 2018
MissRaine69:

Being able to speak English is NOT a measure of intelligence. There are whole countries were English is not spoken at all and they have space programmes and very intelligent beings there. Thinking it is a measure of intelligence is a throw back to a colonial past that made us subservient to our own capabilities.

If you are thought in English from elementary to higher institution and yet you can't construct a reasonable sentence, then your level of intelligence is highly questionable.
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by anonymous96: 1:14pm On Dec 19, 2018
Modarun:

I knw someone who isnt good with english but got a schoolarship to study applied physics in the United States. He did so well in Maths in his SAT exams but poor in English yet they recommended him for a scholarship. Swerve.
He doesn't have to be good in english. But he can speak English nd Write in English...Just like you don't have to be good in Maths if you are a lawyer.. But u should kno d basics.. That is all I am saying... Whatever school he applied to he wrote an Essay.. If he couldn't write in English or had a lot of grammatical errors in the essay they certainly won't have accepted him.. One of the criteria to school in d US is Proficiency in English...

Also what was his score?
Just re-read what you wrote. and I saw scholarship. thought u said admission..
There is no way he would do poorly in Reading,Writing nd Language nd get scholarship in US. Maybe to him poorly is 65%
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by BOBBYNIGUESZ(m): 1:18pm On Dec 19, 2018
Nwamaka1419:
do you value English more than your native language

YES. in all ramifications. English is a worldwide language.
Abi you wan make i speak igbo to Donaldo Trump or G40 summit

1 Like

Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by Simpubozz(m): 1:21pm On Dec 19, 2018
obailala:
... and where most people are first exposed to English language in schools, when other yardsticks of measurement are absent, an individuals command of English language can be used as a first pointer to measure the person's intelligence/aptitude.

and what do you suggest we could do as a nation to overwrite this orientation?
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by blueskies(f): 1:24pm On Dec 19, 2018
IMO, fluency in English language is not a major proof of intelligence, however we can say it is a proof of exposure
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by Dedetwo(m): 1:32pm On Dec 19, 2018
InSanety:
i am disappointed that most people here cannot even apply critical thinking to such a question.

So far, you are one of few people to have done that.

Let us replace English with language. Someone with a firm grasp of ANY language can be said to have a measure of intelligence.

Is fluency in English A measure of Intelligence? Yes

Is fluency in English the ONLY measure of intelligence? No.

The OP was right in his estimation that fluency in English is a measure of intelligence, however, most of those commenting here have some serious deficiencies in UNDERSTANDING and INTERPRETATION of English, else, they would not have been making such terrible postulations as regards the position of English in intelligence quotient.

Let us hope they are intelligent in other aspects.

You simply cannot have the bolded sentences in this debate. You have one sentence with a qualifier and the other without a qualifier. You cannot eat your cake and have it. The fluency in English is not a measure of Intelligence period. I have come across people whose mother tongue is English language yet they score poorly in IQ test.
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by MissRaine69(f): 1:35pm On Dec 19, 2018
ehinmowo:

If you are thought in English from elementary to higher institution and yet you can't construct a reasonable sentence, then your level of intelligence is highly questionable.
Like your sentence for example?

1 Like

Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by MissRaine69(f): 1:39pm On Dec 19, 2018
BOBBYNIGUESZ:

YES. in all ramifications. English is a worldwide language.
Abi you wan make i speak igbo to Donaldo Trump or G40 summit
Putin never speaks in English but he can speak and why not speak Igbo? It’s inferior somehow? This is what colonisation does to people. A country of many universities and very little actual intelligence.

1 Like

Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by Dedetwo(m): 1:44pm On Dec 19, 2018
Xda59:

You don't get it. It is not just about fluency, you have to know how to read and write correctly.

This bordered on literacy and illiteracy. I have seen Nigerians who are fluent in English language yet cannot assemble a knockdown cabinet with procedural diagrams.
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by kunle75(m): 1:46pm On Dec 19, 2018
StylesX:

Well to an extent am not sure. how about the asians and people from other non English speaking countries ,shall we conclude they're not intelligent because they don't speak english?hell no.
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by nwele2017: 1:46pm On Dec 19, 2018
Something is really missing here.
Judging from what I have read so far here, I think everybody is just saying the same thing, but with different views.
Everything boils down to communication skill.
The ability to communicate well in any language should been a propper yardstick for measurement of intelligence not just good command of mere English.
For one to be termed "intellegent", he/she should be able to communicate his/her idea effectively.
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by UrVillagePpl: 1:47pm On Dec 19, 2018
pls I tink I need help, my English is really not gud,..

not bad per say but as a graduate I tink it should be better/fluent,... pls advise is needed.

tnx in advance
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by Dedetwo(m): 1:52pm On Dec 19, 2018
ehinmowo:

In USA, most cabinets and other household appliances are do-it-yourself. I have come across most Nigerians who schooled in good universities pay handyman or store technicians to assemble a simple knockdown furniture with procedural diagrams for them. Most physicians, Engineers, Pharmacists, Programmers and even lawyers are not fluent in English language.
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by Nobody: 1:56pm On Dec 19, 2018
We have 8 types of intelligence
They only teach us logical and linguistics in school
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by Nobody: 1:57pm On Dec 19, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:
While English language is not a measure of intelligence, it is expected that one who is educated in Nigeria should have good command or average command of the language considering that it is both the language of business and the language of teaching/learning.

That said, a university graduate with terrible command of English language cannot be said to be intelligent, if she/he was, she/he wouldn't have terrible command of the language.

Thank You

School only teach us logistics and linguistics

Pele is intelligent so as Albert Einstein
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by Nobody: 1:58pm On Dec 19, 2018
NotComplaining:
If English is your mothertongue then your proficiency in organizing grammatical statements and responses can be used as a meaaure of intelligence. Being articulate in any language is akin to solving complex problems, this is why we give reverence to poets and writers.

being articular in a language and solving complex problems doesnt not correlate
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by Nobody: 1:59pm On Dec 19, 2018
aaronson:
Most people say English isnt a measurement of intelligence, well that's their opinion. Personally, i equate people style of enunciation to match thier level of intelligence quotient, I never get it wrong when i put you in a category of IQ range using your communication skill.

Here is the logic.

The more you read or get exposed to more vocabulary, you learn more words to easily express yourself. Which is in great contrast to people who weren't exposed to too many vocabulary hence, it gets difficult to express themselves and this often leads to conflict, misjudgement or even trouble because you lack the capability to express yourself due to few words in your brain.

School only teaches us logical and linguistics.

And school only teach us "what to think not how to think"

Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by Nobody: 2:01pm On Dec 19, 2018
Mizk:
I think if you're intelligent you should be able to know words, piece one and two together and form simple sentences, especially if thats the language they use to teach you in school, everyone can't do that, some can't even remember words so i guess those who can are more intelligent than those who can't, if its easy everyone would be doing it.

Messi is intelligent, Albert Einstein, donald trump, Bob Marley are intelligent

Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by Nobody: 2:03pm On Dec 19, 2018
Biglittlelois:

My points are based on the officiall language of a Country, i'm not equating or comparing intelligence of two or more countries, your previous comments talked about mental slavery of whites and all, my points being that, English, the official language in Nigeria, has greater percentage when measuring intelligence, not our different languages or how fluent one is.

They only teach us logical and linguistics in school
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by Gmajor(m): 2:08pm On Dec 19, 2018
MissRaine69:

Being able to speak English is NOT a measure of intelligence. There are whole countries were English is not spoken at all and they have space programmes and very intelligent beings there. Thinking it is a measure of intelligence is a throw back to a colonial past that made us subservient to our own capabilities.
You have a point but the instance you sited is different from the Nigerian situation.
In Nigeria, almost everyone has been exposed to English since birth so if there is anyone who still fumbles at simple English wouldn't you say that they are dull? (my rant only applies to literate people)
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by Nobody: 2:13pm On Dec 19, 2018
Gmajor:

You have a point but the instance you sited is different from the Nigerian situation.
In Nigeria, almost everyone has been exposed to English since birth so if there is anyone who still fumbles at simple English wouldn't you say that they are dull? (my rant only applies to literate people)

They only teach us logical and linguistics in schools
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by MissRaine69(f): 2:15pm On Dec 19, 2018
Gmajor:

No I would not, even native English speakers struggle with the language. We need to move away from that colonial mindset.
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by oglalasioux(m): 2:18pm On Dec 19, 2018
If English is not your first language fluency in it shows intelligence.
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by agbajor27: 2:18pm On Dec 19, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:

Were you taught tenses, grammar, comprehension, writing etc in your native language? NO

Was your organisation education done in your native language? NO

Is your native language the language of business in Nigeria? NO

So having terrible command of the English language is a pointer that the person isn't intelligent.

That is it! A person who, after being taught for over twelve years using english language, and cannot communicate well using thesame language can rightly be regarded as unintelligent.

1 Like

Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by Nobody: 2:18pm On Dec 19, 2018
Fluency in English is not a measure of intelligence but it brews confidence, acute expressiveness and dominance. That is why you see someone who is versed in Literature, which is an English art, with the ability to speak life and paint abstract thought through English. Thought for another day.

Moreso, people speaking about Chinese, Indians and what have you, never knew the sacrifices this countries take to ensure there students undertake English courses in or outside the country. They even issue visa to English tutors with all expenses paid including living and housing. AIESEC still facilitate the provision of visa to their members through this approach to 3 countries I know of, Saudi Arabia, China and Singapore.

Hence if you see any Chinese making waves in science, there is tendency that he could relate with an English Man fluently. Same goes for Indians example Google CEO. No brilliant or highly intelligent Chinese or Saudi Arabian would be lost in English world.

It is common sense. According to research, ability to learn new languages enhance better memories and cognitive creativity.

Hence, learn and improve your command of your English.

You have been taught for years, baby class to secondary school to college. What else do you want ?
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by Bigfellas(m): 2:19pm On Dec 19, 2018
oluwakayode25:
Please if we going by the post of that corper making the rounds, then it is safe to say she isn't intelligent.
First of all,her official language is English, she went to school for 18 years or more and yet she still can't string a proper sentence together...
Secondly, how was her idea passed to her lecturers during exams??
Look, I have a few intelligent guys,way brilliant than me wey dey drop bomb steady when they talk or write simple grammar,but this chicks own is abysmal, its way too poor, look you can't be this poor in English and want people to cut you some slack, we need to get her off our borders...How did she graduate for goodness sake!??

Yes it is convenient to say that lady is not intelligent. I will accept that but she isn't intelligent not because of her poor use of English language but because an intelligent mind will prefer to stay silent when she/he knows what she/he is about to say makes no sense.
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by ifada123: 2:25pm On Dec 19, 2018
An high performance in mathematics is a measure of intelligence,
Not even English.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Covenant University Sets Aside N4 Billion For International Staff Recruitment / Strike: We Will Explore Other Options If ASUU Remains Adamant - Ngige / Idogho's Picture Used For Obituary-Protest In AuchiPoly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.