Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,148 members, 7,821,919 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:46 PM

Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? - Education (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? (23401 Views)

According To Psychologist, There Are Three Types Of Intelligence. / Is proficency In Mathematics a measure of Intelligence? / English Is A Language Not A Measure Of Intelligence. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by obailala(m): 6:16pm On Dec 19, 2018
virago:

But you can not disregard other yardstick of measurement as you would most likely get it wrong. I'll use your logic as an example , we all know mathematical proficiency is low and more people ( at least 8 out of 10 ) are not really maths oriented but would it be wise to judge based on mathematical proficiency alone ?. While English may say something about the environment you grew up ( I'll come to that in a bit ) it shouldn't be used solely as a measure of intelligence.

Yes to a large extent speaking "good" English has a lot to do with where you were brought up , you won't expect a child who grew up in a rural environment to speak better English than one who grew up in Banana Island or even in England but we can not say the child who grew up in Ikoyi is more intelligent than the one who grew up in Aramoko.
Haha, you're still missing the point I'm trying to make. I really doubt you have seen the tweet that birthed this conversation. If you see it, you will speak no more! I wonder why the Op didn't post the tweet and for some reason, I can't seem to find it online any more.

English fluency obviously cannot be a used as a yardstick to measure intelligence. But in some bizarre cases like this one, I'm sorry, exceptions MUST be made. Using your example about poor math ability not being a reasonable measure of a person's intelligence, what exactly would you say if you met a GRADUATE who has been through primary school, secondary school and a tertiary institution, but cannot solve 5 x 5? Would you still make this argument about mathematics not being a test of knowledge?
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by virago(f): 6:36pm On Dec 19, 2018
obailala:
Haha, you're still missing the point I'm trying to make. I really doubt you have seen the tweet that birthed this conversation. If you see it, you will speak no more! I wonder why the Op didn't post the tweet and for some reason, I can't seem to find it online any more.

English fluency obviously cannot be a used as a yardstick to measure intelligence. But in some bizarre cases like this one, I'm sorry, exceptions MUST be made. Using your example about poor math ability not being a reasonable measure of a person's intelligence, what exactly would you say if you met a GRADUATE who has been through primary school, secondary school and a tertiary institution, but cannot solve 5 x 5? Would you still make this argument about mathematics not being a test of knowledge?

Now you are the one mixing things up , 5 X 5 is basic primary 1 or 2 maths , there is a degree to everything , in your case you would expect any adult or graduate to know basic primary one English or maths. It's akin to saying a graduate who can't spell come , go , book or sit now compare that to graduates who can't solve senior secondary maths and believe me there are tonnes of people like that.

1 Like

Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by Shugavee(f): 6:49pm On Dec 19, 2018
hedonistic:
The more important question to ask is: Is having money a measure of intelligence? Is being broke a measure of lack of intelligence?
lol, English no Dey put money for anybody pocket ,,, thats definitely a better question grin
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by Kelvinw1se: 6:53pm On Dec 19, 2018
Fluency in English is not a measure of intelligence the dumbest American can speak English perfectly
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by Kelvinw1se: 6:57pm On Dec 19, 2018
[quote author=StylesX post=73934698]I saw what a corper posted on fb today and i posted it on my status, so some aggressive girl picked offense and started saying many things, English is not a measure of intelligence is all i could pick from all she said, and i decided to bring the argument here, contributions please.[/ Fluency in English is not a measure of intelligence the dumbest American can speak English perfectly ]
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by Kelvinw1se: 6:59pm On Dec 19, 2018
Fluency in English is not a measure of intelligence the dumbest American can speak English perfectly
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by hibiscus76(f): 7:05pm On Dec 19, 2018
Caseless:
that's because it's our official language and, not because it's a measure of intelligence.
its not a necessarily a measure of Intelligence, buh in a country where its our linguafranca, its just pertinent that you should, to some extent, know your tenses.
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by oluwakayode25(m): 8:05pm On Dec 19, 2018
Bigfellas:

Yes it is convenient to say that lady is not intelligent. I will accept that but she isn't intelligent not because of her poor use of English language but because an intelligent mind will prefer to stay silent when she/he knows what she/he is about to say makes no sense.

An intelligent mind will know how to express one's self,besides intelligent people win spelling competition's, if you consider her intelligent like some people are saying, shouldn't she be able to participate in spelling bee
I don't see how different this girl is different from Mr spells, probably because this one went to school sha..its pretty easy to tell how smart someone could be by their English, it is also one of the easiest ways to appraise somebody you meeting for d first time..
Imagine this girl trying to write an essay and she is an English student...no excuses for me...she isn't intelligent at all...or maybe she loves arithmetics but guess what,even arithmetics require some use of English from time to time....
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by erico2k2(m): 8:08pm On Dec 19, 2018
blueskies:
IMO, fluency in English language is not a major proof of intelligence, however we can say it is a proof of exposure
exposure to?
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by Bigfellas(m): 8:29pm On Dec 19, 2018
oluwakayode25:

An intelligent mind will know how to express one's self,besides intelligent people win spelling competition's, if you consider her intelligent like some people are saying, shouldn't she be able to participate in spelling bee
I don't see how different this girl is different from Mr spells, probably because this one went to school sha..its pretty easy to tell how smart someone could be by their English, it is also one of the easiest ways to appraise somebody you meeting for d first time..
Imagine this girl trying to write an essay and she is an English student...no excuses for me...she isn't intelligent at all...or maybe she loves arithmetics but guess what,even arithmetics require some use of English from time to time....

Lol... I think she is unintelligent also. but to me it is not just cos of her bad English. She could still be intelligent even with the bad grammer. I've seen such cases but for this particular lady, I believe say brain no dey for her. She won't have ridiculed herself online if she was intelligent enough to understand the fact that her English no be here . So I follow agree with you say she dumb.
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by ImaIma1(f): 11:23pm On Dec 19, 2018
Biglittlelois:

I will overlook the insults and innuendos,

Now as you said, there are thousands of languges around the world, true, but i care less about them, the Chinese use an official language yes, but do you know they have different dialects? no you dont, but they agreed to use a particular one to make it official which worked for them till today.

In Nigeria, we have different languages, and some languages e.g. Yoruba, have different dialects, so please, school me if there is, but there is no language of ours that have words for codes and everything as you said, if you want us to start that, you can suggest it to FG to work on it, then they can decide on which language to use officially if other tribes will agree smiley

I am open to other valid points, but to me, English may not necessarily be an 100% measure for intelligence, but it takes a higher percentage of 80%.

I have to disagree with you Lois. As long as English is our official language, an educated person should be able to speak it fluently. Or what language was used in school for them?
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by ewizard1: 11:28pm On Dec 19, 2018
Even op should be ashamed he is arguing this. It shows your level of Non-intelligence is high.
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by Caseless: 11:47pm On Dec 19, 2018
hibiscus76:
its not a necessarily a measure of Intelligence, buh in a country where its our linguafranca, its just pertinent that you should, to some extent, know your tenses.
knowing your tenses is one thing, and the proverbial 'fluency' the op is talking as a measure intelligence is another.
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by ifada123: 11:51pm On Dec 19, 2018
obailala:

Did you know that buhari
Was not able to recognize that 97 +5 =100?
And in the case you cited, most people will find it cool if the person decide to us his calculator to compute 5×5,
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by obailala(m): 12:05am On Dec 20, 2018
ifada123:

Did you know that buhari
Was not able to recognize that 97 +5 =100?
And in the case you cited, most people will find it cool if the person decide to us his calculator to compute 5×5,
Lol... There was absolutely nothing mathematically wrong with Buhari's 97% and 5% statement. You (and millions of others) just failed to comprehend it. As usual, we Nigerians are more concerned about making jokes.

In maths, it's not everytime you see percentages that you must add the numbers and expect 100%. At least not when comparing exclusive events.

"People from City A gave me 97% of their votes but people from City B gave me only 5% of their votes."

In the above situatiin, do you expect to just add 97 + 5 and expect 100? grin
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by ifada123: 12:19am On Dec 20, 2018
obailala:
Lol... There was absolutely nothing mathematically wrong with Buhari's 97% and 5% statement. You (and millions of others) just failed to comprehend it. As usual, we Nigerians are more concerned about making jokes.

In maths, it's not everytime you see percentages that you must add the numbers and expect 100%. At least not when comparing exclusive events.

"People from City A gave me 97% of their votes but people from City B gave me only 5% of their votes."

In the above situatiin, do you expect to just add 97 + 5 and expect 100? grin
I know that percentage can be more than 100.
But in a population of voters a percentage more than 100 is inconsistent.
Meanwhile it will not make sense if he said the igbos gave 5% of his vote 97% are from Hausa and others.
The sentence will tell if a % greater than 100 is accurate, consistent or otherwise sir
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by obailala(m): 12:37am On Dec 20, 2018
virago:

Now you are the one mixing things up , 5 X 5 is basic primary 1 or 2 maths , there is a degree to everything , in your case you would expect any adult or graduate to know basic primary one English or maths. It's akin to saying a graduate who can't spell come , go , book or sit now compare that to graduates who can't solve senior secondary maths and believe me there are tonnes of people like that.
I'm not mixing anything up. English or maths knowledge isn't a measure of intelligence ordinarily, but there are definitely some exceptional cases. E.g. a graduate that cannot solve primary school arithmetic like 5 x 5, it's either the person is autistic or the person is extremely dumb. I still cant understand how such a person could even graduate in the first place if not thrpugh dubious means.

Imagine a graduate writing 3 sentences and every single freaking word in all 3 sentences is spelt wrongly. I'm sorry, there's no argument for that, the excuse of "English not being our first language" cant fly on that, especially when the person has gone through primary secondary and tertiary education.
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by obailala(m): 12:46am On Dec 20, 2018
ifada123:

I know that percentage can be more than 100.
But in a population of voters a percentage more than 100 is inconsistent.
Meanwhile it will not make sense if he said the igbos gave 5% of his vote 97% are from Hausa and others.
The sentence will tell if a % greater than 100 is accurate, consistent or otherwise sir
Are you sure you read what I wrote?... or did you even bother reading or listening to the statement from Buhari before proceeding to your above conclusions?

This was the statement from Buhari:
"People who gave me only 5% of their votes cant expect to get the same treatment as people who gave me 97% of their vote"

With the above statement, do you still think you should be adding 5 to 97 and expecting 100% ? Now that you know the real statement, do you still think there's anything mathematically wrong or inconsistent with that statement?

1 Like

Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by ifada123: 12:51am On Dec 20, 2018
obailala:
Are you sure you read what I wrote?... or did you even bother reading or listening to the statement from Buhari before proceeding to your above conclusions?

This was the statement from Buhari:
"People who gave me only 5% of their votes cant expect to get the same treatment as people who gave me 97% of their vote"

With the above statement, do you still think you should be adding 5 to 97 and expecting 100% ? Now that you know the real statement, do you still think there's anything mathematically wrong or inconsistent with that statement?
Thanks
I did not see the full statement before
From your above quote buhari's statement was consistent and mathematically accurate.
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by pryme(m): 8:00am On Dec 20, 2018
MissRaine69:

Brilliance still leans towards academia
Ability and functionability for example if someone can learns how to play a guitar or the piano by simply listening that person is intelligent. If someone can read music as far as I am concerned they are a cut above someone who speaks English well.

The op must have mistaken being educated for being intelligent, you may be educated but not intelligent. If you are educated then you should/must be fluent in English {AS FAR AS NIGERIA IS CONCERN}, apart from non English subjects every subject in the Nigerian Educational System has their subjects in taught in ENGLISH (its the established standard in all our curriculum) exams set in English, Projects and Field work prepared submitted in English, which needs fluency or else this will be another hurdle.

Requirements from SSE level to Higher Institutions must have be at least a Credit in English this alone has made some students attend extra classes to make good grades in English. Fluency in English must not be the command of big words and grammar, but ability to string together simple words to create acceptable sentences.

As far as Nigeria is concern if you are not fluent in English, then you did not go to school, maybe you did not go to a good one. But then again, THIS IS NIGERIA....

But we can never measure intelligence with mere language, some people will not learn a language they hate, unless it's necessary. But then again few intelligent minds won't learn English if they have the chance, cos intelligent people knows what can help them succeed.

Most intelligent people that are not fluent in English may never have had the chance to learn English, but someone that had the chance to learn English then could not speak/write fluent English (apart from hate barrier) was never intelligent.
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by brodalokie: 8:30am On Dec 20, 2018
SmilingMary:
Articulation has nothing to do with intelligence

Why not? You are going to stay the way you are made. Some people are finished products.
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by brodalokie: 8:33am On Dec 20, 2018
Bimboscoo:
There are four types of intelligence. Emotional, Spiritual, Academics and Financial intelligence.
Simply put: English is not a measure of intelligence.
The most advanced countries of this world speak in their mother's tougue. RUSSIA, JAPAN, CHINA, SPAIN, ITALY, FRANCE, GERMANY, ENGLAND.
English is just a means of communication.

The word Intelligence itself is a way of communication.
Look at it, INTEL
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by Princewill1(m): 9:03am On Dec 20, 2018
In English,we have fluency in:

SPEAKING English

WRITING English

READING English

LISTENING to English

In a country like Nigeria,if you are lacking especially in LISTENING and READING English.Then you can't be academically intelligent. The language of teaching in Nigeria is English so deficiency in LISTENING and READING English means that there is no way you can understand what you are being taught in school.
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by twhy111(m): 9:32am On Dec 20, 2018
pastie:

In other words, you mean to say only intelligent people go to schools.

modified: I apologized, I was high today, couldn't comprehend you initially.
thank God I mention in the case of this corper.
I've never said only intelligent people go to school.
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by Bimboscoo: 3:44pm On Dec 20, 2018
brodalokie:

Intel is military information collected about an enemy's secret plans. [informal]. Get your facts right before you make comments.
The ability to understand English in itself has caused a lot of confusion and trouble.
No wonder when His wanted to stop humans from reaching The heavens, He simply put confusion in their language.
Look at it, INTEL
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by Bimboscoo: 3:46pm On Dec 20, 2018
brodalokie:

Intel is military information collected about an enemy's secret plans. [informal]. Get your facts right before you make comments.
The ability to understand English in itself has caused a lot of confusion and trouble.
No wonder when God wanted to stop humans from reaching The heavens, He simply put confusion in their language.
Look at it, INTEL
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by brodalokie: 4:01pm On Dec 20, 2018
[quote author=Bimboscoo post=74023036][/quote]

Exactly! Your language or slang is your military secret. If I am exposed to it, then I will be able to communicate with you.

War is confusing your neighbour. What God did at Babel is that he caused them to disagree with each other. They had to leave the project unfinished. You can see why have so much unfinished projects or problems in Nigeria. It is because we are uneducated. We have an official language that is not encouraged.

The word military for instance is a short combination of mile and light/lite. Light mile is a term associated with Astrology. This is why military officers are decorated with stars, even the badges have a 5 pointed star.

You will agree that it was a secret to you before but now your are another step wiser. That is what intelligence is all about.
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by DONADAMS(m): 9:14am On Dec 21, 2018
it's annoying go through this thread and seeing people's comment..yes, the O.P didn't use the right title but ya'll should understand what he was trying to pass across. or I think you all understand it but yet you chose to twist it...like what would be your judgment if you met a graduate of mathematics unable to solve basic differential problems like 5X+2? or do simple change of subject of formular after spending 4/5years in the university? that's just 4/5years..now imagine "English" a language that has been taught since elementary school..nobody is saying her command of English should be impeccable but at least she should be able to string words together to make good sentences...I'm highly disappointed with those making comparisons with China, Russia France, India e.t.c as though it's their official language...I don't know how to communicate In my native tongue which I'm not proud of cos I was never taught in it/how to speak it...that doesn't mean I'm dull..but if I was taught my native tongue since I was born and I still can't communicate well, then I'll be considered highly unintelligent.

haba mana

thread closed!
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by BOBBYNIGUESZ(m): 6:35am On Dec 22, 2018
MissRaine69:

Putin never speaks in English but he can speak and why not speak Igbo? It’s inferior somehow? This is what colonisation does to people. A country of many universities and very little actual intelligence.
Bros what's the official Language in Russia and Nigeria respectively?
Wake up
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by Bimboscoo: 2:44pm On Dec 25, 2018
Your knowledge or understanding of the word language excludes your own mother'stongue. Then there is no basis for this discussion. I am sure you understand whatever local language you speak more than English. That's where the confusion lies.
That's why Africa will never move forward. Ig we cannot get it rifht with simple language. We would remain a second fiddle to those that own what we use.
brodalokie:

Exactly! Your language or slang is your military secret. If I am exposed to it, then I will be able to communicate with you.

War is confusing your neighbour. What God did at Babel is that he caused them to disagree with each other. They had to leave the project unfinished. You can see why have so much unfinished projects or problems in Nigeria. It is because we are uneducated. We have an official language that is not encouraged.

The word military for instance is a short combination of mile and light/lite. Light mile is a term associated with Astrology. This is why military officers are decorated with stars, even the badges have a 5 pointed star.

You will agree that it was a secret to you before but now your are another step wiser. That is what intelligence is all about.
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by brodalokie: 2:55pm On Dec 25, 2018
Bimboscoo:
Your knowledge or understanding of the word language excludes your own mother'stongue. Then there is no basis for this discussion. I am sure you understand whatever local language you speak more than English. That's where the confusion lies.
That's why Africa will never move forward. Ig we cannot get it rifht with simple language. We would remain a second fiddle to those that own what we use.

Everything you are using was borrowed... We still spell using Latin. Both Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Edo all using roman numerals. We despite who we are. Education is important. In Nigeria the two major is English as official followed by Arabic before any other.
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by Omoapena(m): 11:12pm On Jan 20, 2019
Thank God for smartphone,

I don't have to open my hard copy dictionary all time with grammar people are throwing at each other.

This thread is really educating and I'm getting addicted already....

Here to learn...

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Universities That Pull Out Of Strike Will Regret Their Actions – ASUU / Covenant University Sets Aside N4 Billion For International Staff Recruitment / Strike: We Will Explore Other Options If ASUU Remains Adamant - Ngige

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.