Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,766 members, 7,817,113 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:12 AM

Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos (57356 Views)

Misuzulu KaZwelithini, Zulu King In First Reed Dance With Virgin Maidens / Oba Bamidele Simeon Dabo Becomes Igbekebo New King In Ondo / Peremobowei Shedrack Erebulu Becomes The Youngest King In Ijaw Nation. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by Seetto: 4:48pm On Dec 30, 2018
OdikwaRisky:
I thought all igbos were osus lipsrsealed grin
grin grin grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by lawani: 4:49pm On Dec 30, 2018
Good development
Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by babtoundey(m): 4:50pm On Dec 30, 2018
venai:
If you can sleep with an Osu girl but can not marry her just because she is Osu, then you are a Fool. I repeat, you are a fool.

This is the best news coming from Imo state since Rochas Okorocha became their governor.

I am not Osu, but I can marry one. If e vex you, you are a fool.

The fact that all of you keep emphasising on "I am not Osu" shows the depth of prejudice in your heart against these people is still deep. That statement alone will make the Osu feel inferior and unfit.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by StaffofOrayan(m): 4:53pm On Dec 30, 2018
The greatest enemy of the black man is always another black man, we never seem to be able to see the bigger picture, too damn tribal

3 Likes

Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by Nobody: 4:55pm On Dec 30, 2018
GoldHorse:

No mind them. These same so called freeborn will travel to the U.S. and marry a black American, a confirmed slave descendant, with glee while calling somebody OSU here. Nonsense!

Lol. Never thought of that. 100% true

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by mechanics(m): 4:56pm On Dec 30, 2018
It has been abolished so why the uproar.
Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by Abagworo(m): 4:56pm On Dec 30, 2018
Osu is not outcast.
Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by Yorubasaredogs: 4:56pm On Dec 30, 2018
[s]
KingOfAllIgbos:

Yorubas are happy your family isn't in slavery any more yet you are still moaning and groaning in agony grin

Better go and hawk some gala and fan yogo
[/s]

1 Like

Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by Guestlander: 4:58pm On Dec 30, 2018
Are there any real osus on Nairaland? Can you please tell us about your experiences regarding this matter?

3 Likes

Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by StaffofOrayan(m): 4:58pm On Dec 30, 2018
I read it in a couple of comments both here and in the screenshot, Nigeria has perhaps the most useless youths in the world, the future of this country is quite bleak

babtoundey:

The fact that all of you keep emphasising on "I am not Osu" shows the depth of prejudice in your heart against these people is still deep. That statement alone will make the Osu feel inferior and unfit.

1 Like

Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by anambraamaka: 4:59pm On Dec 30, 2018
jrusky:
I dont like making comment aboyt this disgracing tradition its so annoying and very barbaric. How dare anyone calling a fellow human an outcast Pls I don't get it.

One of the biggest pastor of igbo extraction in Nigeria today came to visit my dad few years back this foolish thing called big pastor was talking about love in the bible at our residence and I asked him sir are you a true man of God? He answered Yes. And I asked did he belief in love with no discrimination? He said yes and I asked sir if I placed a food in a plate together for you and the so called Osu will you eat with him? This big hateful descendant of Hitler got angry and said God forbid he would rather die than to do such that is my fellow igbo people nature.

I don't pretend and I don't deceive myself naturally we(igbo) are so filled with hate. I can't imagine myself at my age hate someone because his great grand parent are used for sacrifice for one stupid and useless diety blablabla blublublu thrash hating them for not offending me or do any wrong to me it's a shameful and babaric act absolutely.

I know they hate me and I have bruised their skulls again. They are so arrogant and have very strong allergy for truth the moment you refuse to be a hater you are automatically an Afonja or Aboki. Well I have spoken again and I'm waiting for 100 quotes and 100 share click keep wasting your time I don't give a bleep. I will never hate anyone because of his tribe, or religious belief or because of one nasty tradition, no it won't happen.

Calling God created human being a outcast what a nonentity and satanic statement.
We igbos? You are pure anumanu for involving all igbos stoopid a5swipe

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by danot1030: 4:59pm On Dec 30, 2018
Bloooody:
Igbos are usually greatest tribe in Nigeria.
I can only imagine how biafra would be far better than Nigeria.

You are right, they are greatest tribe in animosity, grudges, hates, unforgiving and never letting go. You can imagine unnecessary discrimination among themselves over a culture for wish the purpose was long abolished still finding it hard to die among them, what a tribe.

3 Likes

Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by Guestlander: 5:00pm On Dec 30, 2018
babtoundey:

Don't mind them, " I am not osu but bla bla bla"

Can the real osus stand up jare.

5 Likes

Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by Nobody: 5:00pm On Dec 30, 2018
4601CE:
This tribe sef
no mind them, nonsense! The osu is even finer than them the freeborn.

6 Likes

Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by LegitBoyy: 5:02pm On Dec 30, 2018
Fatherofdragons:
Good development

All these yorubers dancing around this thread with stupidity don't ever forget that your so called yoruber Moslems are always fighting against Christians, traditionalists even the masquerades sef. Just let that sink into your oblong heads.

Be sensible for once, majority of your people are of one religious extraction and you guys treat some set of people like you are better than them and you will still come yo spew your rubbish.
My maternal Grandmother is from Ebonyi but some nitwits still have the guts to tell she's not Igbo.

I'm yet to any other place where tribalism thrives like the East.

Igbos should face this menace and deal with it once and for all rather than playing defensive cards.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by Nobody: 5:03pm On Dec 30, 2018
Zionista:
Igbos have an ingrained propensity to discriminate amongst themselves and against other ethnic groups. I say this with all sense of respect to Igbos because I have ties with that ethnic group.

My Anambra friend believe they are the real deal when compared to Igbos from Imo,Enugu, Abia, Ebonyi. As a rule, according to him, no one in their family could be allowed to marry from any of these 'inferior' Igbo states . It's such a silly world view.

How on earth can one refer to another being created by God as Osu while he sees himself as the freeborn? This retrogressive practice should be confined to the dustbin of history

The reason why Africa is still steeped in medieval traditions and underdevelopment.

All men are created equal by God.

I salute your lying skills.

Lai mohammed in making.

2 Likes

Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by mvem(m): 5:03pm On Dec 30, 2018
anambraamaka:

We igbos? You are pure anumanu for involving all igbos stoopid a5swipe
...you see your life... The segregation he speaks against and you are exhibiting it... You want to now say it is igbos from IMO or Abia abi.....

7 Likes

Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by Gozzzy(m): 5:03pm On Dec 30, 2018
Free talk... all these na Shakara.... you dare not bring OSU into Ezeoke Nsu in Ehime Mbano LGA of imo state, where all are free born and they dread anything OSU, like the sin that brought man out of garden of Eden....
but wait o... why have Yorubas flooded this thread can't these people stay off igbo matters for once o, I forgot... Igbo affairs gives them relevance.... ndi uchu

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by Guestlander: 5:04pm On Dec 30, 2018
Osu caste system is worse than tribalism and racism put together.
You sacrificed their progenitors and you are still hating them up till now.
It's about time for osu revolution in iboland.

6 Likes

Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by 9ja083: 5:05pm On Dec 30, 2018
venai:
If you can sleep with an Osu girl but can not marry her just because she is Osu, then you are a Fool. I repeat, you are a fool.

This is the best news coming from Imo state since Rochas Okorocha became their governor.

I am not Osu, but I can marry one. If e vex you, you are a fool.

It's believed that when u sleep with an osu, u will start having bad luck as all ur good luck will be transferred to the osu.
I really don't believe in this.

3 Likes

Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by Nobody: 5:05pm On Dec 30, 2018
OSU matter don tire me
Even PRIESTS ne dey allow their SONS marry Osu

3 Likes

Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by Nobody: 5:05pm On Dec 30, 2018
jrusky:
I dont like making comment aboyt this disgracing tradition its so annoying and very barbaric. How dare anyone calling a fellow human an outcast Pls I don't get it.

One of the biggest pastor of igbo extraction in Nigeria today came to visit my dad few years back this foolish thing called big pastor was talking about love in the bible at our residence and I asked him sir are you a true man of God? He answered Yes. And I asked did he belief in love with no discrimination? He said yes and I asked sir if I placed a food in a plate together for you and the so called Osu will you eat with him? This big hateful descendant of Hitler got angry and said God forbid he would rather die than to do such that is my fellow igbo people nature.

I don't pretend and I don't deceive myself naturally we(igbo) are so filled with hate. I can't imagine myself at my age hate someone because his great grand parent are used for sacrifice for one stupid and useless diety blablabla blublublu thrash hating them for not offending me or do any wrong to me it's a shameful and babaric act absolutely.

I know they hate me and I have bruised their skulls again. They are so arrogant and have very strong allergy for truth the moment you refuse to be a hater you are automatically an Afonja or Aboki. Well I have spoken again and I'm waiting for 100 quotes and 100 share click keep wasting your time I don't give a bleep. I will never hate anyone because of his tribe, or religious belief or because of one nasty tradition, no it won't happen.

Calling God created human being a outcast what a nonentity and satanic statement.

All these I was born in lagos state, my father told me am igbo.....

You need prayers and serious deliverance.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by lyricalz: 5:06pm On Dec 30, 2018
post=74298492:
For those of us that have forever been wondering, what OSU OUTCAST means, here you have it.....

The Osu caste system, which is prevalent in Anambra, Imo and some areas in Ebonyi states, discriminates against families which in the ancient times were dedicated to the local deities because human sacrifice was required to cleanse the land of abominations. The Osu were mostly slaves and other categories of persons considered as “inferior”, as opposed to those who were “freeborn” or “Nwadiala”. As outcasts, they were discriminated against and not accepted by the mainstream of society.

In spite of efforts by clerics, political leaders and social crusaders to consign this system to the dustbin of history it is still being stubbornly observed in many communities. In 1956, the Eastern Nigerian House of Assembly had passed a law abolishing it, but it was not implemented.

There is no reason for this caste system to remain in these modern times. Slavery was abolished long ago, and no human sacrifice is going on anywhere in Nigeria except as a criminal offence linked to some dark cults. The constitution of Nigeria declares every person free and equal before the law. All Nigerians are constitutionally entitled to fundamental human rights, which include the right to freedom from discrimination and the dignity of the human person.

To end the Osu and similar inhuman caste systems wherever they are being practiced in Nigeria requires a combination of cultural reforms, law enforcement and active sensitisation. Serious legal actions need to be taken against any form of discrimination and dehumanisation.

We call on traditional authorities and churches in Igboland to prevail on every community still practising the Osu caste system to abolish it.

SAY NO TO OSU CASTE SYSTEM and let us all live as brothers and sisters in peace.
Thank you!

thanks a lot for that writeup.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by anambraamaka: 5:06pm On Dec 30, 2018
mvem:
...you see your life... The segregation he speaks against and you are exhibiting it... You want to now say it is igbos from IMO or Abia abi.....

Shut the f..ck up! Idiotaaa
99.9 % igbos in imo, anambra, ebonyi who don't support osu..
I'm my town we don't know what it is..so enter a hole you tribalist looking for something where there is none

1 Like

Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:07pm On Dec 30, 2018
lyricalz:

thanks a lot for that writeup.
You are always welcome.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by Guestlander: 5:09pm On Dec 30, 2018
It appears some people are even afraid to talk about this matter. Are osus that scary?

4 Likes

Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by frankmoney(m): 5:09pm On Dec 30, 2018
Gozzzy:
Free talk... all these na Shakara.... you dare not bring OSU into Ezeoke Nsu in Ehime Mbano LGA of imo state, where all are free born and they dread anything OSU, like the sin that brought man out of garden of Eden....
but wait o... why have Yorubas flooded this thread can't these people stay off igbo matters for once o, I forgot... Igbo affairs gives them relevance.... ndi uchu
wow in this 21st century ... See what you are saying , wonderful

7 Likes

Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by Gozzzy(m): 5:10pm On Dec 30, 2018
Osagyefo98:

I salute your lying skills.

Lai mohammed in making.
bros, he's right... if we will tell ourselves the truth, an average Anambra family will never accept wholly a woman from another state, to be married into that family.... they will never. I'm talking out of experiences of many people I know... including my friend who's dad's family never accepted her, her sister and her mother, cos her mother is from imo....when the dad died, her mother saw hell and had to run back to Owerri vowing never to step feet at Nnewi again.....
this thing other tribes, use to judge Igbos, saying that Igbos don't accept a woman from another place, their yardstick is Anambra, but they erroneously generalise it..... Let's tell ourselves the truth.

8 Likes

Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by Nobody: 5:11pm On Dec 30, 2018
LegitBoyy:

Be sensible for once, majority of your people are of one religious extraction and you guys treat some set of people like you are better than them and you will still come yo spew your rubbish.
My maternal Grandmother is from Ebonyi but some nitwits still have the guts to tell she's not Igbo.

I'm yet to any other place where tribalism thrives like the East.

Igbos should face this menace and deal with it once and for all rather than playing defensive cards.

Was she igbo before

2 Likes

Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by graphiti: 5:11pm On Dec 30, 2018
babtoundey:

in fact u said my mind.
The moment I saw that "I'm not OSU " statement, I be like 'dhurrrr!'
The discrimination/prejudice is so ingrained that even d 'liberals' are found wanting.
smh

7 Likes

Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by Nobody: 5:12pm On Dec 30, 2018
Guestlander:
Osu caste system is worse than tribalism and racism put together.
You sacrificed their progenitors and you are still hating them up till now.
It's about time for osu revolution in iboland.

Lagos-ibadan express road history.
Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by mvem(m): 5:13pm On Dec 30, 2018
anambraamaka:

Shut the f..ck up! Idiotaaa
99.9 % igbos in imo, anambra, ebonyi who don't support osu..
I'm my town we don't know what it is..so enter a hole you tribalist looking for something where there is none
...you are a big liar... The osu caste system is very much alife...tell your family you have a girl from imo you want to marry, they will go and do thorough investigation to know if she is from the caste... People say it openly that it has been abolished but in reality it is still considered but not openly... I know what am saying

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Your Favourite(s) Igbo Praise Names For God / 90-year-old Emir Of Daura, Faruk Umar Marries 20-year-old Bride (Pictures) / Elizabeth Odunlami: 'Ooni Enitan Ogunwusi Promised Me Marriage, Disappointed Me'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.