Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,998 members, 7,817,948 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:41 PM

Real-time Gps Station Goes Live In Lagos State - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Real-time Gps Station Goes Live In Lagos State (9539 Views)

Another ‘radio Biafra’ Station Goes On Air - The Cable News / Another ‘radio Biafra’ Station Goes On Air As FG Arrests Suspected -The Cable / Lagos: Real-time Gps Station Goes Live (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Real-time Gps Station Goes Live In Lagos State by Nobody: 5:33am On Aug 08, 2010
[size=18pt]Lagos: Real-time GPS station goes live[/size]

Lagos State Governor, Mr Babatunde Fashola, SAN, has declared that the state Continuously Operating Reference Station (CORS) and Global Positioning System (GPS) which has been successfully completed will soon come up live.

GPS is a satellite-based radio navigation system, which allows users to determine their location anywhere in the world at any time of the day.

On the other hand, the CORS operates continuously from a permanent and stable location to track down dozens of GPS and Global Navigation Satellites (GNSS), receives and stores the data, removes any errors and transmits the enhanced satellite data to users in real time.

Fashola who was at a stakeholders meeting Thursday, at Alausa to ascertain the progress of the project, expressed satisfaction and confirmed the successful completion of the project.

The Managing Director of GeoQinetiq limited, the firm that handled the project, Mrs Juliet Ezechie, in an interview shortly after the meeting, said the CORS data will soon be made available to MDAs, contractors, construction companies, engineers and surveyors to enable them fix and validating exact position information in the field through out the state to an accuracy of under 1cm.

Ezechie had explained that when formally commissioned the state will blaze the trail in establishing world class, ultra modern technologies to provide a solid basis for the transformation of the state and provide the technological foundation for successful implementation of the Lagos Mega City.

The initiative, according to her, will help build a new Lagos and get the traffic moving again by tracking road congestion, road safety and improving public transportation.

She had earlier explained that the entire project started when the state governor in 2007, set up a five man advisory committee of experts headed by the former Surveyor-General of the state, who is now the Special Adviser to the Governor, Mr M.A.O Durowoju, to deliver a fully digital mapping and enterprise Geographic Information System (GIS) for the state.

The report of the advisory committee, according to Ezechie was presented to the state executive council meeting by September of same year and a technical committee under the chairmanship of Dr Femi Hamzat, the state Commissioner for Science and Technology was constituted to examine and recommend the best sustainable mapping and GIS solution for the state.

GeoQinetiq limited, a leading geophysical geospatial and logistic solution provider in the country was contracted to design, install, commissioned and train GIS and geomatics professionals from the office of the state Surveyor-General in the operation of the state's first public Continuously operating Station with a view to later creating a network of such CORS stations across the State.

The newly completed CORS system is based on Leica Geosystems (Switzerland) ultra-modern 'future proof' GRX1200GG GNSS reference station receivers along with Leica spider GPS network control software which will be incorporated into an integrated network of CORS stations deployed at strategic location across the state providing very high accuracy real time and post processed data for wide range surveying and construction applications.

The CORS network accordingly has the peculiar advantage of eliminating the need for surveyors to establish local controls or set up temporary

field reference stations at specific job sites which is both time consuming, expensive, leads to surveying errors and exposes them surveyors' equipment to risks of theft and accidental damage.

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/nov/23/214.html
Re: Real-time Gps Station Goes Live In Lagos State by babapupa: 6:03am On Aug 08, 2010
eko o ni baje lai lai. God bless the great state of lagos, God bless Lagosian, God bless our visionary and dynamic leaders.
Re: Real-time Gps Station Goes Live In Lagos State by Jakumo(m): 7:22am On Aug 08, 2010
I am not sure about the purpose of a "GPS Station", given that anyone can purchase a hand-held GPS unit that works anywhere except at the polar regions, for $200 or less. I own a Garmin EtreX unit that I use in wilderness areas, and it works perfectly. Perhaps I am missing something here.
Re: Real-time Gps Station Goes Live In Lagos State by dayokanu(m): 7:26am On Aug 08, 2010
Can we use this device to track down babes in Lagos?
Re: Real-time Gps Station Goes Live In Lagos State by Jakumo(m): 7:28am On Aug 08, 2010
Dayo you've got your eyes, nature's radar system, for that important task, and once within range, your hands are there to perform the Grope Test, to ensure that all is in order.
Re: Real-time Gps Station Goes Live In Lagos State by TippyTop(m): 7:33am On Aug 08, 2010
Next stop Google earth.
Re: Real-time Gps Station Goes Live In Lagos State by Jakumo(m): 7:37am On Aug 08, 2010
It is imperative that the Main Man BecomeRich MUST be consulted on this project, otherwise UN sanctions may frustrate the effort, given that satellite images were not incorporated in the system from the start.
Re: Real-time Gps Station Goes Live In Lagos State by blacksta(m): 7:42am On Aug 08, 2010
Please explain the purpose of the GPS system to a lay man - Market woman or bus conductor in Oshodi.
Re: Real-time Gps Station Goes Live In Lagos State by Jakumo(m): 7:46am On Aug 08, 2010
blacksta:

Please explain the purpose of the GPS system to a lay man - Market woman or bus conductor in Oshodi.

The purpose of this system is to liberate a few million dollars from the Lagos State treasury, so as to provide satellite navigation technology which comes STANDARD in many new vehicles, or which can be procured at a cost of $150 dollars by any private individual who feels they need one.  Praise the Lord !

Standing by for clearance by His Lordship The Satellite Meister, Becomerich, unless of course he has been banned again.
Re: Real-time Gps Station Goes Live In Lagos State by Pukkah: 8:44am On Aug 08, 2010
This is good news.
Re: Real-time Gps Station Goes Live In Lagos State by blacksta(m): 8:46am On Aug 08, 2010
Pukkah:

This is good news.

Please explain  - I am a bus conductor in Oshodi
Re: Real-time Gps Station Goes Live In Lagos State by Gbawe: 9:15am On Aug 08, 2010
Jakumo:

I am not sure about the purpose of a "GPS Station", given that anyone can purchase a hand-held GPS unit that works anywhere except at the polar regions, for $200 or less. I own a Garmin EtreX unit that I use in wilderness areas, and it works perfectly. Perhaps I am missing something here.

Satellite technology is useless unless pertinent information has been specifically customised so that a GPS system can make sense of it. Local digital mapping must be carried out . This is an important consideration . Your Garmin would be useless in Lagos if there is no digital map guiding the signals being recieved .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_mapping

Digital mapping (also called digital cartography) is the process by which a collection of data is compiled and formatted into a virtual image. The primary function of this technology is to produce maps that give accurate representations of a particular area, detailing major road arteries and other points of interest. The technology also allows the calculation of distances from once place to another.

Though digital mapping can be found in a variety of computer applications, such as Google Earth, the main use of these maps is with the Global Positioning System, or GPS satellite network, used in standard automotive navigation systems.
Re: Real-time Gps Station Goes Live In Lagos State by marcus1234: 9:18am On Aug 08, 2010
Re: Real-time Gps Station Goes Live In Lagos State by babapupa: 12:16pm On Aug 08, 2010
here comes the the dunb and the backward ignorants, it never fails.
Re: Real-time Gps Station Goes Live In Lagos State by blacksta(m): 12:43pm On Aug 08, 2010
babapupa:

here comes the the dunb and the backward ignorants, it never fails.

No need to go defensive - Just come and explain the use or benefit to me as bus conductor in oshodi
Re: Real-time Gps Station Goes Live In Lagos State by texazzpete(m): 12:47pm On Aug 08, 2010
Gbawe:

Satellite technology is useless unless pertinent information has been specifically customised so that a GPS system can make sense of it. Local digital mapping must be carried out . This is an important consideration . Your Garmin would be useless in Lagos if there is no digital map guiding the signals being recieved .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_mapping

Garmin maps for Lagos already exists. Ditto for Nokia Ovi maps. Please tender a more convincing explanation.

Also, the claim of 1cm accuracy by the Lagos state Government is a shameless lie.
Re: Real-time Gps Station Goes Live In Lagos State by oderemo(m): 12:54pm On Aug 08, 2010
here comes the the dunb and the backward ignorants, it never fails
PAPAPUPA,
its your blind defence of any poo laid and tarred in Lagos that never fails.
Re: Real-time Gps Station Goes Live In Lagos State by AjanleKoko: 1:11pm On Aug 08, 2010
Maybe if we got a few more details. Lagos doesn't have a satellite in space, so the need for an earth station is a bit unclear.
For traffic management, you only need a camera system and a control center to analyse the feeds.
Re: Real-time Gps Station Goes Live In Lagos State by gmcln(m): 4:09pm On Aug 08, 2010
The illiterate of tomorrow are not those who can not read and write but those who cannot change or adapt to
changing environment and technology
Re: Real-time Gps Station Goes Live In Lagos State by babapupa: 4:18pm On Aug 08, 2010
blacksta:

No need to go defensive  - Just come and explain the use or benefit to me as bus conductor in oshodi

what is there to be defensive about? This is nothing to be defensive about. Just amazed at the usual ignorant folks like you asking sillly questions about gps like elementary school kids. At your age, you mean you do not know the benefits of gps? Do you live under the rock or you are just too daft and backward not to know the benefits of common gps or able to google and educate yourself?. It is really a shame the dumb and ignorant comments I read on NL. Do not let the need to bad mouth everything and anything cloud your brain and end up sounding un educated. GPS has immense and limitless benefits. I really feel sorry for some of you for real.
Re: Real-time Gps Station Goes Live In Lagos State by Mariory(m): 6:07pm On Aug 08, 2010
texazzpete:

Also, the claim of 1cm accuracy by the Lagos state Government is a shameless lie.

Weather the statement is true or not I don not know however, you should know that statement was made by GeoQinetiq and not the Lagos State government.
Re: Real-time Gps Station Goes Live In Lagos State by Sharonf(f): 6:09pm On Aug 08, 2010
Forgive my ignorance but what are the GPS station benefits?
Re: Real-time Gps Station Goes Live In Lagos State by lekside44(m): 7:56pm On Aug 08, 2010
this is the best thing that will ever happen 2 us
Re: Real-time Gps Station Goes Live In Lagos State by Nobody: 7:57pm On Aug 08, 2010
Sharon_f:

Forgive my ignorance but what are the GPS station benefits?

Ezechie had explained that when formally commissioned the state will blaze the trail in establishing world class, ultra modern technologies to provide a solid basis for the transformation of the state and provide the technological foundation for successful implementation of the Lagos Mega City.

The initiative, according to her, will help build a new Lagos and get the traffic moving again by tracking road congestion, road safety and improving public transportation.
Re: Real-time Gps Station Goes Live In Lagos State by blacksta(m): 8:14pm On Aug 08, 2010
On this thread most dont know the exact benefit of the GPS system to the lagos government - some are pretending to know and claim it is best thing after slice bread

And the man baba pupa will always go defensive when ever some goes against his ideology.

For your information i know how important GPS is in other developed nations .
Re: Real-time Gps Station Goes Live In Lagos State by babapupa: 8:18pm On Aug 08, 2010
the article clearly stated some benefits, just take some time out and read, and obviously, the lady sabi google, it is fast and easy.
Re: Real-time Gps Station Goes Live In Lagos State by Nobody: 8:19pm On Aug 08, 2010
blacksta:

And the man [b]babapupa [/b]will always go defensive when ever some goes against his ideology.
So you've also noticed that grin grin grin

blacksta:

Ok, the mic is yours. We're listening. . . . why should it be a progress in Lagos?
Re: Real-time Gps Station Goes Live In Lagos State by Nobody: 8:20pm On Aug 08, 2010
Ok Ok ok
Lets check this.
Microphone check 1-2-1-2

GPS on my phone: Almost everyone in Nigeria owns a phone that is GPS enabled.
GPS on my watch
GPS in  my Car
Service delivery companies such as DHL, Fedex etc etc already have their own GPS systems

So how exactly is this going to impact on the life of a bus conductor or a market woman in Oshodi??
babapupa, i expect your input.
Re: Real-time Gps Station Goes Live In Lagos State by Jakumo(m): 8:20pm On Aug 08, 2010
As an owner and frequent user of a hand-held GPS receiver costing less that $200, I view with great scepticism the declared function of the proposed "GPS station" in Lagos, given the SMALL AND PORTABLE physical size of ALL modern day GPS receivers.   There can be NO SUCH THING as a "GPS Station" anywhere outside of the USA, since the ONLY subsets of that technology available to the general public comprise PORTABLE RECEIVERS, which are ALL small enough to either carry by hand or install in the dashboard of a car, boat or aircraft.

The only physically large components associated with GPS technology are the satellites spread out as an orbiting constellation in Earth's upper stratosphere, and the US Department of Defence ground-based command and control facilities tasked with managing those satellites, ALL of which are located in the United States, and NOT, in Lagos Nigeria.

Bearing in mind the above FACTS, could somebody please now explain, IN LAYMAN'S TERMS, the SPECIFIC function of the proposed "GPS Station" in Lagos, Nigeria ?
Re: Real-time Gps Station Goes Live In Lagos State by Nobody: 8:23pm On Aug 08, 2010
Thank You, Jakumo. kiss

Waiting for babapupa's "Oh no he didnt!" post. undecided
Re: Real-time Gps Station Goes Live In Lagos State by babapupa: 8:28pm On Aug 08, 2010
blacksta:

On this thread most dont know the exact benefit of the GPS system to the lagos government  - some are pretending to know and claim it is best  thing after slice bread

And the man baba pupa will always go defensive when ever some goes against his ideology.

why not worry less about babapupa and worry more about your own ignorance and backward mentality. In your peanut brain, developed nations sat on their hands while the development droped from heaven. Everytrhing is ok elsewhere, but a terrible idea in your own country, nothing to support and encourage, just trash and bad mouth it because you are so consumed with hate and anger, You have serious peersonal issues for sure.
Re: Real-time Gps Station Goes Live In Lagos State by paddylo1(m): 8:56pm On Aug 08, 2010
As an owner and frequent user of a hand-held GPS receiver costing less that $200, I view with great scepticism the declared function of the proposed "GPS station" in Lagos, given the SMALL AND PORTABLE physical size of ALL modern day GPS receivers.   There can be NO SUCH THING as a "GPS Station" anywhere outside of the USA, since the ONLY subsets of that technology available to the general public comprise PORTABLE RECEIVERS, which are ALL small enough to either carry by hand or install in the dashboard of a car, boat or aircraft.

The only physically large components associated with GPS technology are the satellites spread out as an orbiting constellation in Earth's upper stratosphere, and the US Department of Defence ground-based command and control facilities tasked with managing those satellites, ALL of which are located in the United States, and NOT, in Lagos Nigeria.

Bearing in mind the above FACTS, could somebody please now explain, IN LAYMAN'S TERMS, the SPECIFIC function of the proposed "GPS Station" in Lagos, Nigeria ?

so only the USA has satellites in orbit? What a stark illiterate. . . . .u are. . .

The thing one reads from Nairalanders is getting worse by the day. . .can u just shut up and admit u dont know anything for once

must all of u contribute to every thread .  .na wa o

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

FG Retracts 56% Budget Implementation Claim / Aregbesola To Establish French Village In Osun / Former Zamfara State Commissioner Sextape [bleeping A Younger Girl]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.