Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,501 members, 7,812,546 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:08 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (290) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2185048 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (287) (288) (289) (290) (291) (292) (293) ... (713) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by lifeevents: 5:47am On Jan 29, 2020
Thanks
A14:

For short term you can look at GICs.

For long term investments you can look at buying ETFs. If you want to be a DIY investor, you can start by reading The Value of Simple (2nd Ed) by John Robertson. It’s not difficult handle your investments yourself.
There are other options like robo advisors (e.g Wealthsimple and Nest Wealth) which make things easier but note that you pay more.
Please don’t walk into a bank and tell them you want to invest, they’ll most likely sell their product to you (high fees).

Do you plan on making any major purchases in the near future e.g down payment for a house. If you are, you can also save that money in a HISA like EQ bank, their interest rate is 2.45% currently or buy GICs. There’s no harm in investing the money you plan to use as a down payment in ETFs but there’s also no guarantee that the market won’t be down when you’re ready to pull your cash.

I hope this makes sense a little.

P.S. Millionaire Teacher 2nd Ed by Andrew Hallam is also a great read.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by stonecoldcafe: 5:55am On Jan 29, 2020
Zhuhilat:
Hello guys, pls how cold is Winnipeg manitoba? Also any idea on the cost of living? Thanks guys

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7eBExZPNXp0H0hXW4qKiQA/search?query=winnipeg

You can follow that lady on Youtube and watch her videos. I believe she is based in Winnipeg and she has some good videos on life there.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by slydog(m): 6:31am On Jan 29, 2020
19CannyMum:

You know book o. Kai!

I'm waiting for your advice mum
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 7:49am On Jan 29, 2020
Zhuhilat:
Hello guys, pls how cold is Winnipeg manitoba? Also any idea on the cost of living? Thanks guys
coldest city aka winterpeg cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Dollywood(m): 9:40am On Jan 29, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:

If you don't speak French in Quebec you will struggle in the workplace and settling down there.

So they don't speak English there at all?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 9:45am On Jan 29, 2020
Dollywood:

So they don't speak English there at all?
Quebec is trying to preserve it's historical french cultural heritage and traditions. If you plan to move to Quebec long-term you will have to learn french or you will struggle.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by stevesegkay: 10:46am On Jan 29, 2020
Hello SunshineD1

Below update is not good at all. Especially the part in bold print since it affect most immigrants travelling from Nigeria. I have checked Pearson Airport's website but saw no mention of this. Please can you share the source of this info and how one can track if there is any update/changes.

100% foods will be banned from March 1st onwards for all flights.( carry on or in luggage by bags as well.)

Thank you.

SunshineD1:
*Latest Pearson Airport news*:

- Flights *to and fro* from China, Japan, Phillipines, North Korea or South Korea is cancelled for next 15 days.

- Flight might gets delay for passenger coming via UK to Canada due to strict health checking on all UK airports.

- After the plane is landed on toronto airport it may take almost 1- 2 hours for pasenger to come outside of gate due to health check ups.

- If you are travelling for any International flights please arrive airport before 4 hours (for your medical check ups and all scanning processes)

- 100% foods will be banned from March 1st onwards for all flights.( carry on or in luggage by bags as well.)[color=#990000][/color]

People landing around then should note o. What will we eat nah. Which kind virus come wan pour sand sand for immigrants garri cry
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ExpressEntry: 11:02am On Jan 29, 2020
Oyeleye2011:
I am one of silent readers on nairaland since this great platform helped me achieved my dream of coming to canada few years ago. I think it is high time for me to give back to this wonderful platform. I quite agree that few nigerians move to BC because everyone believe that BC is expensive to live in but you start your life in all these cities you mentioned which are affordable like the rest of the cities in canada. Another reason is that nigerians are few in BC so, some of us relate to white people a lot because you don't see many nigerians to relate with grin. So, people goes to Calgary, toronto, manitoba etc just to be in the midst of nigerians. And so other reasons personally known to nigerians.

So, to your question sir, I will analyse each cities one after the other because i have been to most of the cities either for work or vacation.

Kelowna
This is one of the fastest growing cities in Canada now. I lived in this city for 3 years because i did my schooling there and also worked there before moving to Kamloops for full time position. Though, i still go there on my days off because of my great network there. It is a relatively big city that has all the social amenities present in bigger cities. It is very affordable to live here if you have a good paying good. Few nigerian doctors are here with a big mansion living in grin. Is just that real estate is becoming pricey now because, it is like a retirement city (Lots of old people with big money), people from nearby bigger cities (vancouver, calgary, edmonton) comes there to purchase house after getting tired of bigger cities rat race grin. Kelowna has one of the best weather in canada. lots of sunshine. It is a tourism city as well, lots of beautiful place to see. Nice beaches, hiking trails, mountains surrounding. i can keep going all day long about kelowna because i love this city. Not too small, not too big. traffic is getting worst now because people are discovering this paradise everyday grin. Lots of construction companies in kelowna which gives you hope of getting a job in your profession sooner or later. I don't know anything about civil engineering job in kelowna or any cities in BC because am in Health care profession but i believe you will probably need so sort of licensing body but lots of construction companies because the city is still developing into a bigger city. And also less competition for jobs compared to bigger cities. Since your wife is a nurse, am very sure he can get health care assistant job with less struggle because BC government is having shortage of these people now then she can focus on getting her nursing licence sooner or later

Vernon
This city is relatively small compared to kelowna. It takes make less than 45minutes to drive between kelowna and vernon. Less opportunities here for you because there is less companies in vernon but bigger opportunities with less jobs competition for your wife because of her profession. I go there if i want to have a feel of country(town) life and want to get away from busy kelowna life. Please don't mind me, am not a city boy, am from a village in nigeria grin. But very affordable and cheap to live there. Weather is very nice as well because we are all in Okanagan area. Kelowna is central okanagan and vernon is north Okanagan. Lots of sunshine. Shorter winter and longer summer like kelowna.

Abbottsford & Nanaimo
These are lower mainland cities that surround almighty Vancouver city. They are bigger cities compared to kelowna but less bigger than Vancouver. People live in these cities and work in vancouver in order to avoid expensive renting or buying houses. Lots of opportunities in a bigger cities as we all know but highly job competition. Your wife might find it more stressful to get full time health care job in these cities because of competition but lots of casual jobs. In term of weather, lots of rain. Please always go out with your umbrella. The weather is nice, not too cold like Vancouver. Always mild winter and lots of rain. They are nice cities but too big for me grin Few nigerians are here because it is bigger cities

Prince Rupert & Prince George
These are Northern BC cities. The more North you go, the less white people you see and more immigrant you see. These cities can be extremely cold because they are in north BC. These cities are relatively big as well but not as bigger as Kelowna. There is a large nigerian community in Prince george, so will not be home sick. Most of them are in health care profession(Doctors, Physiotherapist, Nurse etc) and most of them are in university over there. More opportunities for your wife as health care professional because of less job competition and may be less opportunities for civil engineering jobs though these cities is also consider big for me. Am sure, there will be opportunities as well because they are not smaller cities. they are also good cities but i don't like cold. grin

Victoria
The capital city of BC. Victoria is one of the great city in BC. The first time i was there, i fell in love with the city life for the first time in my life. I wanted to stay but i was offered casual position and i want full time so i left grin. It is a bigger city but nicely planned city. Beautiful beaches (Ocean not Lake like kelowna). Little bit of rain as well. It is very expensive to live in victoria as well but if you have a good paying job, you will be fine. Victoria city is on Island so you need to take ferries or fly out anytime you want to leave island which can expensive compared to road driving. To take your car on ferry is also expensive but i usually go out of island early in the morning to take the first ferries which are normally cheap while i was there. Sure, many opportunities in capital city, lots of companies, government jobs etc. For madam, lots of opportunities as well but she will probably start from casual position then build her seniority hours to get full time position.

Terrace
Am sorry, i don't know anything about this city. I guess that city will be my new adventure in spring or summer time grin

I hope i am able to give you few info about all these cities. Generally, they are all great cities to live. And note, BC
Bring Cash, Everyone know that but all these cities are affordable. Trust me. Don't be afraid. God bless you sir.

Hello! Pls I have an enquiry about a Medical Doctor getting practice readiness anywhere in BC.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by SunshineD1: 1:42pm On Jan 29, 2020
stevesegkay:
Hello SunshineD1

Below update is not good at all. Especially the part in bold print since it affect most immigrants travelling from Nigeria. I have checked Pearson Airport's website but saw no mention of this. Please can you share the source of this info and how one can track if there is any update/changes.

100% foods will be banned from March 1st onwards for all flights.( carry on or in luggage by bags as well.)

Thank you.

I got it from one of the intending immigrants who shared his concern about the food aspect so I told him I'll post here. If there is any truth in it, someone will corroborate the story. We'll wait and see if the Canadian immigration site will be updated with the information. If not, then people that travel then will update us on their experiences.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by jesusbaby01: 5:28pm On Jan 29, 2020
prost80:

Hello, I have done soft landing, I am asking about processing driving license in Alberta as I am coming fully now. Can I use my statement sent to my address as proof of address for driving license

yes the registry would accept that. That's all i've ever used when i have dealings with registry or post office
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Spicyme: 7:46pm On Jan 29, 2020
For people landing in Saskatchewan

https:///L2gN0tQvxhEGRPhD5GMWyK
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by COPR2020: 9:40pm On Jan 29, 2020
Spicyme:
For people landing in Saskatchewan

https:///L2gN0tQvxhEGRPhD5GMWyK
Not accessible
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by kike100: 9:57pm On Jan 29, 2020
Hi,

Relationship Management here is baseline ,nothing biggy about it, a little above minimum wage.

My recommendation for RM/HOP/HSS people is do something in internal control/audit/compliance/ IT audit/system control/risk etc, take their internationally recognized certifications & build some experience in them before you arrive so you hit the ground running.

Teaching/Academia requires you to have experience, better for you if you have taught outside the shores of Nigeria. If you have taught in high school/universities, you might need to take some courses to understand their system.

Hope this helps

quote author=slydog post=86172825]Good morning fellow Canadians, I hope I can get info here.

My crs is currently 467, while I'm expecting my spouse ECA from Wes by next month to move us up to 475, I'm overly optimistic that I will be in Canny by yearend.

I want to find out career prospects and what I can start doing from here to land me a suitable job.
I have seven years experience in banking as a relationship manager, I also have first to third degrees in economics. So I have flair in banking and teaching/academics, how can break into any of these sectors, what certifications do I need? What other jobs are open to me?
In general, what should I start doing here in Nigeria?
[/quote]

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by kike100: 9:59pm On Jan 29, 2020
Go to where your profession has the most job offers. Remember you are not spending in naira so quit converting the money in your mind ooo.

inafix2019:
Good day!
Please for a family of 4 with no family or "close" friends in Canada, whose initial main focus is "settling down" (basically to start working in entry level positions and not deplete POF, then later face regulated professions licensing), kindly assist to offer advise on the best landing city.
Presently considering Manitoba, Edmonton and Calgary, based on my online research on the cost of living.
Please kindly advise and help us make a final informed decision.
Thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Teni14: 3:40am On Jan 30, 2020
Hello All,
For those who had to go back to school first after landing as PR because they were changing career path ( like doing after degree nursing or a diploma in other fields in college) please

1. Did you have to do a course by course evaluation of past degrees(ECA) aside the one we did for ITA?

2. Is IELTS academic needed for admission or can the general IELTS for express entry process or a letter of English proficiency from your past university acceptable?

Please I will like to know as I am trying to get everything I can get ready while I am still in naija as I might want to go school route when I land.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 5:48am On Jan 30, 2020
slydog:

I'm waiting for your advice mum

Bros mi if I had advice I would have answered the first time you asked, instead of asking you 21 questions.

Since you know book, you can look into a career in academia. Or focus on getting a banking certification, I'm not too familiar with them. Another option is analyst with the government.

For example, this Bridging program for university level teachers in Calgary:
https://www.sait.ca/programs-and-courses/continuing-education/courses/pers/ready-to-teach

https://www.immigrant-education.ca/ready-to-teach-skills-bridging-for-post-secondary-newcomer-educators/

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by DeeWan: 9:30am On Jan 30, 2020
Good Day All, Please I want to know what/how the process is likely to be from submission of documents to visa issuance if a Law Firm in Canada is handling one's visa request. Please help a brother. Furthermore, are the documents for visa application to be sent to the Law firm in canada? Your response will be highly appreciated. Thank you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by kingkhalil: 11:36am On Jan 30, 2020
DeeWan:
Good Day All, Please I want to know what/how the process is likely to be from submission of documents to visa issuance if a Law Firm in Canada is handling one's visa request. Please help a brother. Furthermore, are the documents for visa application to be sent to the Law firm in canada? Your response will be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Application for Permanent Residence? i think you should do it yourself.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by DeeWan: 1:32pm On Jan 30, 2020
kingkhalil:

Application for Permanent Residence? i think you should do it yourself.

It's student visa and not PR.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 1:59pm On Jan 30, 2020
DeeWan:

It's student visa and not PR.
why not ask them .

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by prost80(m): 4:00pm On Jan 30, 2020
Thank you Newbeecey

Is it any bank statement like debit card or is credit card that can be acceptable as proof of address for processing my driving license

Sorry for seeking clarification
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by prost80(m): 4:07pm On Jan 30, 2020
Also can my wife use my bank statement address as proof of her address for processing the Alberta driving license or does she need her own statement with the address?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Mimmieee: 5:09pm On Jan 30, 2020
Hi guys. Please for someone who got a nomination from Alberta I saw from previous posts that the province that nominated you should be your port of entry. Can one land in Toronto or anywhere else and then proceed to Alberta from there. Where will the immigration clearance be done?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by jesusbaby01: 7:28pm On Jan 30, 2020
prost80:
Also can my wife use my bank statement address as proof of her address for processing the Alberta driving license or does she need her own statement with the address?

Most likely her own Statement cos it has to show her full name and address.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Outlier123: 10:06pm On Jan 30, 2020
@woodcrestmayor May I please get some more info on csc exams?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Newbeecey: 3:32am On Jan 31, 2020
Any bank statement, so long as it shows your name and address in that province / city
prost80:
Thank you Newbeecey

Is it any bank statement like debit card or is credit card that can be acceptable as proof of address for processing my driving license

Sorry for seeking clarification
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Kyrie2018: 4:32am On Jan 31, 2020
1. I requested a course-by-course evaluation from WES to be sent to the school. What you need for express entry is a document-by-document evaluation and it won't suffice for academic purposes.

2. I didn't need to take an English exam or submit proof of any.

You can start researching schools to know their specific requirements.

Teni14:
Hello All,
For those who had to go back to school first after landing as PR because they were changing career path ( like doing after degree nursing or a diploma in other fields in college) please

1. Did you have to do a course by course evaluation of past degrees(ECA) aside the one we did for ITA?

2. Is IELTS academic needed for admission or can the general IELTS for express entry process or a letter of English proficiency from your past university acceptable?

Please I will like to know as I am trying to get everything I can get ready while I am still in naija as I might want to go school route when I land.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Uglyaddy: 4:51am On Jan 31, 2020
Outlier123:
@woodcrestmayor May I please get some more info on csc exams?

https://www.csi.ca/student/en_ca/home.xhtml
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by prost80(m): 8:17am On Jan 31, 2020
Newbeecey:
Any bank statement, so long as it shows your name and address in that province / city

Thanks a little dilemma, we did soft landing last year my wife credit card statement is sent to another city, Calgary but same province. Can she use that in another city?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Jbelieve: 12:36pm On Jan 31, 2020
Please who knows the handle or moniker of the person who said he had been using fake drivers license in Nigeria. However renewed it before he came here and was able to do the driving test?

Please if you know the person @ him or if you are the one kindly respond. Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (287) (288) (289) (290) (291) (292) (293) ... (713) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.