Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,689 members, 7,816,810 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:39 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (42) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2189404 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) ... (713) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Gabzi28: 4:25pm On Jan 31, 2019
bily:

Take your time to read the story below... Hope it answers your question

Raccoon Orientation for Canada-Bound Nigerians

By *Pius Adesanmi*

I promised I was going to get around to tell you all this story.
Eventually.

Happened last summer – before my accident.

I realized that we were two Nigerians raising a Canadian.

This is her country.
This is her culture.
These are her people.
These are her baby raccoons.

I jejely borrowed myself brain and joined the little girl in rejoicing that three baby raccoons had survived.
this really cracked me up

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Blackbuddy: 4:58pm On Jan 31, 2019
To be honest, it can be cold here. Really cold.

But don't let it discourage you from pursuing your Permanent Resident dream. After the winter ends, you get to enjoy a country where there's respect, community, support and opportunity. See you soon smiley

44 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by joo2018: 5:07pm On Jan 31, 2019
We are not afraid. grin grin grin

The cold that has been experienced in Canada for weeks is now causing issues in US.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jan/30/polar-vortex-us-weather-latest-temperatures-midwest-east
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/01/30/us/chicago-train-tracks-fire-trnd/index.html

Reminds me of the meme that was posted in the part 1 thread about difference in response to cold between US and Canada. Searched but couldn't find it.

Blackbuddy:

But don't let it discourage you from pursuing your Permanent Resident dream. After the winter ends, you get to enjoy a country where there's respect, community, support and opportunity. See you soon smiley

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by lobell: 6:46pm On Jan 31, 2019
joo2018:
We are not afraid. grin grin grin

The cold that has been experienced in Canada for weeks is now causing issues in US.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jan/30/polar-vortex-us-weather-latest-temperatures-midwest-east
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/01/30/us/chicago-train-tracks-fire-trnd/index.html

Reminds me of the meme that was posted in the part 1 thread about difference in response to cold between US and Canada. Searched but couldn't find it.

This polar vortex happened in Dec 2013. In far away Michigan, US, temperatures dropped to -40 with wind chills up to -60. If we survived it then we can and we will survive anything Canada throws at us.

9 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by lobell: 6:49pm On Jan 31, 2019
Blackbuddy:

But wait o...no more poopoo and weewee?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by CanadianNaija: 9:32pm On Jan 31, 2019
Walegy:
Oga, na by force, people choose to give landing gist here and they love it.... Maternal that even created the thread self is not complaining.
If u are not OK with it, simple ignore.... Nobody will know. I just tire.

Maternal didn’t create the thread.

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by iaatmguy(m): 10:20pm On Jan 31, 2019

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by rainazoe: 10:48pm On Jan 31, 2019
I responded to your email since o

[quote author=Godsfavouredone post=75294067][/quote]
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Omonoba1981(f): 12:09am On Feb 01, 2019
Do we have any one moving to Regina ?

Let me know, if anyone needing a house to rent.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by olajide21: 12:11am On Feb 01, 2019
Indoor pool.. Even at sub zero temp, you can still swim in #ourCanada.

See you all soon!

38 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by olajide21: 12:14am On Feb 01, 2019
Public library. You get to rent books, DVDs, print and other services here....

#OurCanada

38 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 12:19am On Feb 01, 2019
Threemg:
Seniors in the house abegg I want to know this: Forest dey to hunt for games (bushmeat: Etu, Okete, Oya, Agborin, Emor, Ikun etc) in Canada? Like all these Olode and his dogs setting
Well well. It's popular in Alberta and Saskatchewan.

All you need is a hunting license and a rifle or crossbow from Canadian tire or an hunting shop. Hunting season is usually from around 1st week in september to early or mid-december. The meat from the game are used in making burger, minced meat and normal beef for barbecue or regular cooking.

Just have some friends that grew up on farms, and you will be eating your orishirishi including all types of fresh fishes in no time.

Interestingly, I was in a quarterly safety meeting yesterday and co-workers were showing off their kills in picture slides included at the end of their presentation. Some had their kids in the pics brandishing hunting rifles.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by iaatmguy(m): 9:14am On Feb 01, 2019
Omonoba1981:
Do we have any one moving to Regina ?

Let me know, if anyone needing a house to rent.

saskbound, sthill5. this might interest you.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Godsfavouredone: 9:22am On Feb 01, 2019
[quote author=rainazoe post=75305868]
I responded to your email since o

Thank you very much. I have responded to the email
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Sthill5: 9:27am On Feb 01, 2019
iaatmguy:
saskbound, sthill5. this might interest you.

Still waiting PPR but thank you smiley

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Wellmanned: 10:16am On Feb 01, 2019
Hi Ethelia,,

I intend to land in Grande Praire and while checking on the OB/GYN webpages, I noticed waiting time after referral from family doctor is about 2 months. Just want to confirm how true that is, as I would need to see the GYN weekly once I land. I noticed you landed in Edmonton though but I am believing similar practice applies since its same province.

Thanks.

Ethelia:

Thanks. Sure, ask away
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ifeoma77(f): 11:41am On Feb 01, 2019
bily:

By *Pius Adesanmi*

I promised I was going to get around to tell you all this story.
Eventually.

Happened last summer – before my accident.

The jazz of all my political enemies in Nigeria finally crossed the Atlantic and caught up with me here in Ottawa.

The trouble with Homo Occidentalis North Americanus is that as soon as he arrives within a certain income bracket that is no longer middleclass but not quite upperclass but dangerously close to upperclass, he will move far away from the city and create a new paradise he calls upscale suburbia. Swanky neigbourhoods with manicured lawns, removed from the rabble of the city.

That is where you will find high-earning doctors, engineers, accountants, lawyers, etc. If you are a Professor who negotiated a good pay when you were hired, you also tag along, buy property among them, and begin to form associate big man.

Trouble is suburbia in Canada or the US is always encroaching on the habitat of much older residents. Man steals land from these residents but cannot always predict consequences. That is why a family in Florida will return from work to an alligator chilling in their swimming pool. That is why a family in Arizona will grumble about rattle snakes all over their yard. They call animal services. Never mind that these animals have called that place home for millions of years before man put one leg on top of another leg and developed his suburbia there.

In Ottawa, if you live in the suburbia called Riverside South as I do, you have encroached on prime raccoon territory. As in Florida and Arizona, these raccoons have a way of behaving like omo onile in Lagos. Occasionally, they let you know who truly owns the land (This is where you google raccoon).

Because the jazz of my political enemies in Nigeria worked as I was saying, a family of raccoons elected residence in our roof last summer. We’d been hearing mawuru mawuru in the ceiling for months. The noise would come only at night. Tise said it was the tooth faerie. I thought it was squirrels, but we couldn’t fathom how squirrels could tear into the roof of a duplex from outside and make their way into the attic.

One day, madam called me urgently and asked me to hurry home. I arrived to a small situation in front of our home. Our otherwise very friendly neighbours had converged on our front lawn. It was quite a scene. Bloodshot eyes everywhere. No friendly faces. In upscale suburbia, we are naturally the only non-white homeowners within a certain radius so when normally friendly white neighbours converge, looking sorrowful and unfriendly, you worry.

I exited my car to behold quite a scene. Unknown to us, we had accommodated a pregnant raccoon for several weeks. Mama Raccoon eventually gave birth to six pups. On this day, she suddenly went crazy like she found a mixture of codeine, sniper, and tramadol in our attic. She began to fling her babies down on the lawn one by one. From the roof of a duplex fa.

That explained the sadness and sorrow of our neighbours. Remember, this is an animal-loving civilization. It also explained their hostility. Somehow, it must have been something we did that got that poor animal so crazy that she began to murder her own kids. Everybody was looking at us one kain, like, what have you guys done now?

The only analogy for you in Nigeria is if your home was invaded by destructive giant rats. You’d tried everything from traps to rat poison. Then, one day, Mama Rat begins to miraculously kill her own children before your very before. Only for your neighbours to gather around sorrowfully because those awesome baby animals are dying. Only for them to be hostile to you for not doing enough to keep the baby rats alive!

Anyway, animal services eventually arrived to rescue some of the babies that had not yet died. Come and see interrogation! Even Tise did not escape questioning! Are you guys perhaps a little noisy in the house? What time do you all normally sleep?

Nigerians, believe you me, Oyinbo was trying to determine if we did something to cause the postpartum depression of Mama Raccoon, which led her to killing her babies!! They began to explain the characteristics of raccoons to us. How it was still too early for her to bring her babies out, let alone fling them from the roof. There was the unsaid: you guys must have done something.

When we were eventually “acquitted”, the animal services people went into our attic to inspect. They screamed in excitement: three more babies that Mama Raccoon had yet to fling! We said: thank God. Now you can evacuate Mama Raccoon and her remaining babies.

I hope you all know that in Obodo Oyibo, public animals are government property. All those doves you see in Trafalgar Square or the squirrels you see on lawns, geese, ati bebelo, are all government property. Una wey dey go holiday in London from Nigeria, go to Trafalgar Square and touch a dove, that is the day you will realize that the life of a public animal is worth more to the government of obodo oyibo than your life is worth to the Nigerian government.

So, we asked Obodo Canada to please carry their raccoons from our ceiling. We were in for another shock. She is a nursing mother, the animal services people replied, we don’t move nursing mothers. By law, Mama Raccoon has the right to remain here and nurse her remaining babies. We will keep checking.

I have been in Obodo Oyibo for 22 years. I didn’t see that one coming. Apparently, the Raccoon had eminent domain! The best they could do for us was to come and move her at the end of the biological breeding cycle or something to that effect. With that, they entered their van and zoomed off.

I looked on in wonderment, lost in one of those na-who-send-me-come-obodo-oyibo moments that every Diasporan goes through on occasion. With which mouth am I even going to tell this sort of story to a Nigerian audience?

Then I noticed that Tise all along had had the same attitude as our Oyinbo neighbours.

Now she is glad that some Raccoon babies had survived and would not be moved.

I realized that only her parents had a problem.

I realized that we were two Nigerians raising a Canadian.

This is her country.
This is her culture.
These are her people.

I jejely borrowed myself brain and joined the little girl in rejoicing that three baby raccoons had survived.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Godsfavouredone: 1:06pm On Feb 01, 2019
[quote author=raphrulz post=74365218]When I booked for it on CPA website... they told me that before they commence with my order, I have to mail their treasury or so. I sent a mail... and was told that I can pay by raising an International bank draft. From what I have gathered, several banks have refused to do this. So I have been wondering what alternative approaches other people used.

Hello Raphrulz,Pls I sent you a msg, kindly respond I will like to know how you sorted this out. Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ahijo1990(m): 1:21pm On Feb 01, 2019
Good day guys,

Pls I want to enquire about the genuineness of an offer to process Visa to Canada.

A Priest I know said he has 20 slots for job offers in Canada and is processing the visa for 1.230m. Said visa is for 5 years. Immediate job and accommodation upon arrival.

Pls I want to enquire if there's any provision like this for Canada before I will fritter away my little savings. I would appreciate every response. If there is, does it require the usual ielt exam like applicants for permanent residence?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Tojued: 1:23pm On Feb 01, 2019
Good day everyone.

Please those in Calgary / with knowledge of Calgary.

The North East has a bad reputation, but I believe there are some neighborhoods there that are relatively safe, especially within context of raising children. Please can we share experiences of such neighborhoods?

Abi North East na total no-go area?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Onyeenyeh: 1:29pm On Feb 01, 2019
Hello Everyone, seriously preparing for my landing. Cannot wait to share my landing gist. Can anyone who has bought winter gears from "House of Tej"- Tejuosho Market, give an idea of the cost implication, so we don't get bamboozled when we reach there?

Also, I keep hearing conflicting stories about getting a G license in Ontario. Do i need to get the FRSC letter or does my license suffice or do I need an international one in addition?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by henryboff(m): 1:39pm On Feb 01, 2019
Ahijo1990:
Good day guys,

Pls I want to enquire about the genuineness of an offer to process Visa to Canada.

A Priest I know said he has 20 slots for job offers in Canada and is processing the visa for 1.230m. Said visa is for 5 years. Immediate job and accommodation upon arrival.

Pls I want to enquire if there's any provision like this for Canada before I will fritter away my little savings. I would appreciate every response. If there is, does it require the usual ielt exam like applicants for permanent residence?
Run for your life oo. This is either a scam or human trafficking. But if you have 1.230m Naira to dash someone please let me send you my account number. I will even send you free pure water for the next 6 months. grin

15 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Randomsue: 1:41pm On Feb 01, 2019
Ahijo1990:
Good day guys,

I doubt any program like this exists for Nigerians.

I would be very careful of this offer if I were you.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ahijo1990(m): 1:46pm On Feb 01, 2019
henryboff:

Run for your life oo. This is either a scam or human trafficking. But if you have 1.230m Naira to dash someone please let me send you my account number. I will even send you free pure water for the next 6 months. grin
Lool. I thought as much.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ahijo1990(m): 1:50pm On Feb 01, 2019
Randomsue:

I doubt any program like this exists for Nigerians.

I would be very careful of this offer if I were you.

Thanks a lot Chief.

I was already wary hence this due diligence.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ethelia(f): 2:48pm On Feb 01, 2019
Wellmanned:
Hi Ethelia,,

I intend to land in Grande Praire and while checking on the OB/GYN webpages, I noticed waiting time after referral from family doctor is about 2 months. Just want to confirm how true that is, as I would need to see the GYN weekly once I land. I noticed you landed in Edmonton though but I am believing similar practice applies since its same province.

Thanks.

Hello,

I had to wait about a month before my obgyn could see me. If you are much closer to your due date maybe your doctor will speed things up for you (Not sure).
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Wellmanned: 3:33pm On Feb 01, 2019
Wow, a month!!! Wish i can just birth in US and include the baby in my PR later but not ready for sponsorship route.

Thanks so much for the response.

Ethelia:

Hello,

I had to wait about a month before my obgyn could see me. If you are much closer to your due date maybe your doctor will speed things up for you (Not sure).
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by rainazoe: 4:45pm On Feb 01, 2019
Have you considered using a midwife. I used their services and was so happy I did. I did start my search in good time though and secured my slot before I came into their care later in my pregnancy.

Wellmanned:
Wow, a month!!! Wish i can just birth in US and include the baby in my PR later but not ready for sponsorship route.

Thanks so much for the response.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by rainazoe: 4:51pm On Feb 01, 2019
There are several posts on winter gear on the old thread. Look for posts from @einsteino for details.

Personally I would only buy the minimum jacket, thermal underwear etc. When you land proper, enter thrift shops and stock/kit up proper from head to toe.

Oya make we wait the landing gist.

Onyeenyeh:
Hello Everyone, seriously preparing for my landing. Cannot wait to share my landing gist. Can anyone who has bought winter gears from "House of Tej"- Tejuosho Market, give an idea of the cost implication, so we don't get bamboozled when we reach there?

Also, I keep hearing conflicting stories about getting a G license in Ontario. Do i need to get the FRSC letter or does my license suffice or do I need an international one in addition?

5 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Jbelieve: 8:36pm On Feb 01, 2019
Please I have a question. Does Canada pre-arrival services require us to pay any fee eg ACCES
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Threemg: 9:57pm On Feb 01, 2019
bily:

By *Pius Adesanmi*.
This is her country.
This is her culture.
These are her people.

Eleyi gidi gan o. Thanks boss. But 22 years fah!!! You must be a grandpa legend by now

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Blackbuddy: 1:51am On Feb 02, 2019
Ahijo1990:
Good day guys,

Hi, a simple check on the IRCC, the official Canadian Immigration website will reveal there is no such program that resembles what you just described. Either the priest is being decieved or you are about to be deceived. Both scenarios are unfortunate.

This is the link to IRCC website where all available immigration streams are listed. See and review for yourself and be better informed, https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada.html

8 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) ... (713) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: Iamsheye(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.