Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:53 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (40) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2189656 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) ... (713) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Harjeehbaday(m): 2:32pm On Jan 30, 2019
Boss13:

I knew I was going to read something like this to justify spamming this thread with landing topics. That’s not the essence of the thread. Please revert back to the previous thread and the motive of the individual who created it.

When we deviate from objectives, we miss the goal. We don’t allow important topics to be discussed and in turn convert the thread to a gossip section.

If people are more interested in reading landing topics, create a thread for that purpose or post in the POST-PPR thread.

It is obvious you did not read Part 1, hence you do not know the objective of this thread.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by SolutionsGuy: 2:32pm On Jan 30, 2019
Congratulations to the newest landers in the house.
@dumprep . . . I sight you. Remain favoured.

Fam, I have a little question pls. Is it compulsory ohe does immigration documentation at the first airport landed in Canada? For example, if I'm heading to Calgary but lands first in Toronto before connecting Calgary, must I complete my documentation in Toronto or I could wait till I land in Calgary?

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 2:35pm On Jan 30, 2019
Well, Mr Boss. It's obvious you're the one misconstruing stuff here.

Part 1 clearly says....."Kindly share your personal experiences and comments on: * When you landed at the airport?"

And to think you're the one who just derailed the thread, smh.
Boss13:

I knew I was going to read something like this to justify spamming this thread with landing topics. That’s not the essence of the thread. Please revert back to the previous thread and the motive of the individual who created it.

When we deviate from objectives, we miss the goal. We don’t allow important topics to be discussed and in turn convert the thread to a gossip section.

If people are more interested in reading landing topics, create a thread for that purpose or post in the POST-PPR thread.

30 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by joo2018: 2:47pm On Jan 30, 2019
Hi @Boss13, actually landing gist qualify as experience and is acceptable. Information about immigration does not and can be referred to appropriate threads.

See relevant part of the opening post of thread II: "It is an avenue for people that have immigrated to Canada (with their families) to share their experiences to help future hopefuls." See here.

For the relevant part of the opening post of original thread: "Kindly share your personal experiences and comments on:

* When you landed at the airport?
* What are the immigration rules to follow?
* How do you carry all that cash with you? For example: a family of 5 will need $25,923. ......."
. See here

Discussing about landing has been part of the thread since page 1 of the thread by @maternal who landed a long time ago. Fleshing up the experiences with flight details continued from page 12 by @vcole.

The mode of delivery of the experience by individuals whether straight talk, with humor or pictures should be left to the discretion of the poster. The landing gist provide an important function of providing information, resetting expectations and providing hope to those fo us yet to land.

Bear with us.

Boss13:
In Earnest, I think this thread was open to share experiences and helpful notes whilst living in canada. In my opinion, I think sharing landing gist here is inappropriate. There are specific threads for that purpose.

For any avoidance of doubt, the thread is living in canada or life as a Canadian immigrant. It’s not landing in canada or requesting information on how to land, apply for Canadian immigration or concerns related to immigration process.

There are many relevant topics to discuss. Please let’s observe proper etiquette

38 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Wellmanned: 2:53pm On Jan 30, 2019
Hello @Ethelia, Congrats on your baby although its been some months now. I am new here and been reading through Part 1.

I intend to land in Alberta next month and would be birthing shortly after. Please I would like to ask you some questions if thats okay.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by GozyNA: 2:58pm On Jan 30, 2019
Boss13:
In Earnest, I think this thread was open to share experiences and helpful notes whilst living in canada. In my opinion, I think sharing landing gist here is inappropriate. There are specific threads for that purpose.

For any avoidance of doubt, the thread is living in canada or life as a Canadian immigrant. It’s not landing in canada or requesting information on how to land, apply for Canadian immigration or concerns related to immigration process.

There are many relevant topics to discuss. Please let’s observe proper etiquette

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Sthill5: 3:05pm On Jan 30, 2019
More landing gists please grin

24 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ethelia(f): 3:18pm On Jan 30, 2019
@dumprep congratulations! That was a very interesting landing gist. May Canada favour you

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ethelia(f): 3:20pm On Jan 30, 2019
Wellmanned:
Hello @Ethelia, Congrats on your baby although its been some months now. I am new here and been reading through Part 1.

I intend to land in Alberta next month and would be birthing shortly after. Please I would like to ask you some questions if thats okay.

Thanks. Sure, ask away
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ethelia(f): 3:22pm On Jan 30, 2019
Phew, it's been a while! The cold in Edmonton has been something else. Congratulations to everyone who has recently landed in our land of milk and honey grin grin

16 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Boss13: 3:23pm On Jan 30, 2019
That’s why I said in my opinion because there are different twist and interpretation. Before you become an immigrant, you must land. Living in Canada is not Landing in Canada, even visitors and illegal immigrant must land too.

If we continue to spam this thread with landing experience, we lose positive contributions on relevant topics. Hence, I advised, if people are interested in those kind of things, open a thread and discuss them.

I know it’s exciting, but landing is not relevant. You would come to know that very soon.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Walegy: 3:28pm On Jan 30, 2019
Oga, na by force, people choose to give landing gist here and they love it.... Maternal that even created the thread self is not complaining.
If u are not OK with it, simple ignore.... Nobody will know. I just tire.

Boss13:
That’s why I said in my opinion because there are different twist and interpretation. Before you become an immigrant, you must land. Living in Canada is not Landing in Canada, even visitors and illegal immigrant must land too.

If we continue to spam this thread with landing experience, we lose positive contributions on relevant topics. Hence, I advised, if people are interested in those kind of things, open a thread and discuss them.

I know it’s exciting, but landing is not relevant. You would come to know that very soon.

24 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Boss13: 3:31pm On Jan 30, 2019
Walegy:
Oga, na by force, people choose to give landing gist here and they love it.... Maternal that even created the thread self is not complaining.

Respect yourself at least

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Walegy: 3:36pm On Jan 30, 2019
Pls landing gist oooooo..... we are waiting.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Hephgirl: 3:39pm On Jan 30, 2019
Thanks alot... I appreciate
evanehman:

Had the same issue and contact the Royal Bank of Canada and got this reply below

You can open your account before you arrive in Canada. In order to do so, you would simply need to submit your account application online
During the process you will be asked the question "Do you live in Canada"? Choose "No" as this will designate that you are currently a non-resident looking to open an account prior to your arrival.

Once you complete the application it will be sent to our International Banking Advisors who will follow up with you directly within 5 days to give you the information you need to have the account set up and be able to transfer funds to it before you arrive.

For more information on banking in Canada, please visit our Welcome to Canada page, at:

http://www.rbc.com/newcomers/

Wishing you all the best with your move to Canada!

Thanks for contacting us. We'll be happy to help you again if there's anything else you’d like to discuss.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Hephgirl: 3:40pm On Jan 30, 2019
joo2018:
A lot of people carry their money in cash and open accounts when they land.

However if you choose to use the bank approach:

1. You already have a Canadian bank account.
a. Use your Nigerian domiciliary account to transfer. You will get the Swift code for your Canadian bank together with the bank code and your account number and give to your Nigerian bank to use and effect an FX wire/funds transfer for you from your Nigerian dom account to your Canadian account (here).
b. Use international money transfer bodies to transfer from your regular Nigerian account to your Canadian account.

2. You don't have a Canadian bank account.
I think RBC is the only bank with which a non-yet-landed permanent resident can completely open an account from abroad. With some of the other banks, you can start the opening remotely but will need to land to complete the opening.
For RBC, go to their site (here) and contact them. They will explain you the process to transfer your money. However, I believe you only be able to access your money when you land.

Thanks alot...

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AZeD1(m): 4:28pm On Jan 30, 2019
SolutionsGuy:
Congratulations to the newest landers in the house.
@dumprep . . . I sight you. Remain favoured.

Fam, I have a little question pls. Is it compulsory ohe does immigration documentation at the first airport landed in Canada? For example, if I'm heading to Calgary but lands first in Toronto before connecting Calgary, must I complete my documentation in Toronto or I could wait till I land in Calgary?

You have to complete documentation at the first port of entry. Toronto to Calgary is a local flight and you would have to pass Immigration officials before you can access other parts of the airport.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Saintp(m): 4:54pm On Jan 30, 2019
Boss13:

Bros, what the hell is ya problem? Is it ya gist? Or did they force you to read it? Are you a sadist? No let me vex this morning else.......

27 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Walegy: 5:10pm On Jan 30, 2019
This guy don enter one chance today, if for no talk oooooo..... I just dey feel sorry for am sha. Lolllll

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 5:14pm On Jan 30, 2019
Silent Reader, but please I'm enjoying the landing gist. ..more pleassseee

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by olioxx(m): 5:17pm On Jan 30, 2019
olioxx:
To those that have landed, pls how is the Tech scene in Canada?
Do you think it will improve?
If fortunately I land a job in Canada before arrival, will I still to write some forms of exams?
Are my questions STUPID? Should I re-ask?
Pls can I get a reply. Ejó oo.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by joo2018: 5:57pm On Jan 30, 2019
1. pls how is the Tech scene in Canada?: The question is too general.
2. Do you think it will improve?: How do you mean?
3. ...will I still to write some forms of exams?: What kind of exams are you referring to?

olioxx:
To those that have landed, pls how is the Tech scene in Canada?
Do you think it will improve?
If fortunately I land a job in Canada before arrival, will I still to write some forms of exams?

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by SolutionsGuy: 6:21pm On Jan 30, 2019
AZeD1:

You have to complete documentation at the first port of entry. Toronto to Calgary is a local flight and you would have to pass Immigration officials before you can access other parts of the airport.

Thanks so much.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by maternal: 6:22pm On Jan 30, 2019
Walegy:

haba, O gini. Biko hapu my name...

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ceemac: 6:50pm On Jan 30, 2019
salford1:

Hello Chief do kindly reply your PM Sir
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Walegy: 7:00pm On Jan 30, 2019
Abeg, no vex jere, na one person like that, dey talk say u no sabi your work well, say this thread suppose be something something,say we no suppose to dey give landing gist for here..... Na in I con talk say the person self wey creat thread self no complain, I no con understand hin own oooooo.

Dem don come for hin head now, him never sabi anything.

maternal:

haba, O gini. Biko hapu my name...
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nogen: 7:11pm On Jan 30, 2019
sleekysoft:
Good morning seniors, hope all is well with you allheee ? Please I will be landing in Canada in few weeks.. going to NL but passing Montreal.. I will be spending a day there before next day flight to NL. Please anyone in Montreal who can host me and make my stay awesome.. male or female please signify so I can message you or you messaage me.. will be in Montreal by March 4 .. thank you

On the condition you help me bring.my Okpa Wawa. I can arrange your one day stay.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by merrymum: 7:41pm On Jan 30, 2019
Congratulations @dumprep. Happy for you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by merrymum: 7:54pm On Jan 30, 2019
See what you have caused? @Tone23. I laughed so hard my kids stared at me like: "o my, mommy has gone crazy!"
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by sleekysoft(m): 9:37pm On Jan 30, 2019
Hello Nogen!! Remember me from 2017?? Finally got my TRV.. coming to Canada.. March 4 wil Be in Montreal !!!Thanks so much .. what is okpa ? Where can I get it? Will it pass at the airport?

Please I need list of things that won’t pass at the boarder

Nogen:

On the condition you help me bring.my Okpa Wawa. I can arrange your one day stay.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by TSL(f): 10:33pm On Jan 30, 2019
evanehman:

Had the same issue and contact the Royal Bank of Canada and got this reply below

You can open your account before you arrive in Canada. In order to do so, you would simply need to submit your account application online
During the process you will be asked the question "Do you live in Canada"? Choose "No" as this will designate that you are currently a non-resident looking to open an account prior to your arrival.

Once you complete the application it will be sent to our International Banking Advisors who will follow up with you directly within 5 days to give you the information you need to have the account set up and be able to transfer funds to it before you arrive.

For more information on banking in Canada, please visit our Welcome to Canada page, at:

http://www.rbc.com/newcomers/

Wishing you all the best with your move to Canada!

Thanks for contacting us. We'll be happy to help you again if there's anything else you’d like to discuss.

Pls I would like to ask this... if I do this and transfer my POF to the new RBC account and I'm asked at the airport at the time of arrival for my POF what can I use to prove that it was transferred to Canada.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by claseek(f): 10:37pm On Jan 30, 2019
Why would anyone even have a problem with landing gist posted on this thread? C'mon don't be a killjoy.

14 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) ... (713) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: Bamilae, MayorOfEdmonton and 2 guest(s)