Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,352 members, 7,815,730 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:19 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (508) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2188448 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (505) (506) (507) (508) (509) (510) (511) ... (713) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 11:45pm On Oct 09, 2021
irijuola:
Hiiiiiii
I'm kinda ashamed to type this here but the kain laugh wey my Indian housemates use me laugh today warrants say make I ask for help. Whenever I cook beans or make vegetables in the shared kitchen, it smells so awful embarassed though this doesn't affect the taste. I'm a good Nigerian cook tongue. Even me perceive the shitty smell. The whole kitchen plus corridors had the stink. There was a day I prepared Afang and went for midnight shift. The next morning, the shitty stink was still in the air. Now, shame don dey catch me on top my food. I've been thinking, maybe I should just adapt and start making sandwiches, etc. Funny thing is that my Indian housemates food also smell but the smell is that of a heavily spiced 'indian' food and is 'kinda' not bad laidat. This evening, I had to spray the kitchen with air freshener, even at that, the smell is still there.

Help!!! What should I do to eradicate this smell. Note, the kitchen has vent and air conditioning.

Do you use the stove vent while cooking?

Maybe you should start complaining about the smell of their food too. I'm surprised you say it's not bad like that because their own too no dey comot for house. It will even stick to your clothes.

I've had roommates and nobody has ever said my food smells shitty. That's not nice at all. And you self think the smell is shitty... I guess a good first step will be to genuinely not be ashamed of the smell of your delicious food.

Now to ideas that might mitigate�. When you cook in pressure pot there's almost zero smell so you can try using a pressure pot (instapot etc) especially for beans. Just not sure how afang and more delicate cuisine will fare in pressure pot, I know for sure that it can make stew have a weird consistency.

Then there are air fresheners that absorb rather than just try to mask smell. You can also buy cinnamon sticks and boil during/after cooking... The cinnamon smell will take over it's very strong yet pleasant.

Are you in Calgary? I can come and collect the afang soup so that your house won't smell again...

47 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by irijuola: 11:52pm On Oct 09, 2021
19CannyMum:

Do you use the stove vent while cooking?

Maybe you should start complaining about the smell of their food too. I'm surprised you say it's not bad like that because their own too no dey comot for house. It will even stick to your clothes.

I've had roommates and nobody has ever said my food smells shitty. That's not nice at all. And you self think the smell is shitty... I guess a good first step will be to genuinely not be ashamed of the smell of your delicious food.

Now to ideas that might mitigate�. When you cook in pressure pot there's almost zero smell so you can try using a pressure pot (instapot etc) especially for beans. Just not sure how afang and more delicate cuisine will fare in pressure pot, I know for sure that it can make stew have a weird consistency.

Then there are air fresheners that absorb rather than just try to mask smell. You can also buy cinnamon sticks and boil during/after cooking... The cinnamon smell will take over it's very strong yet pleasant.

Are you in Calgary? I can come and collect the afang soup so that your house won't smell again...

Thanks lols grin.
I kuma use instapot for my beans. I think the cinnamon sticks will be my best bet. Cos there was a time I had to spray the kitchen with my perfume just to get the smell out
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 12:08am On Oct 10, 2021
irijuola:

Thanks lols grin.
I kuma use instapot for my beans. I think the cinnamon sticks will be my best bet. Cos there was a time I had to spray the kitchen with my perfume just to get the smell out

To remedy any unwanted odors, turn to your spice drawer. Simply boil a few cinnamon sticks for two minutes and then turn the heat to low and let the warm, spiced scent waft through your home; turn the heat off once the pleasant smells take over. It's a stupid-simple trick that works wonders.

The smaller the saucepan, the better. Your fragrance will be more concentrated this way.

And you can drink the cinnamon 'tea' afterwards. I hear it's really yummy.

14 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by CountVersailles(f): 12:09am On Oct 10, 2021
irijuola:
Hiiiiiii
I'm kinda ashamed to type this here but the kain laugh wey my Indian housemates use me laugh today warrants say make I ask for help. Whenever I cook beans or make vegetables in the shared kitchen, it smells so awful embarassed though this doesn't affect the taste. I'm a good Nigerian cook tongue. Even me perceive the shitty smell. The whole kitchen plus corridors had the stink. There was a day I prepared Afang and went for midnight shift. The next morning, the shitty stink was still in the air. Now, shame don dey catch me on top my food. I've been thinking, maybe I should just adapt and start making sandwiches, etc. Funny thing is that my Indian housemates food also smell but the smell is that of a heavily spiced 'indian' food and is 'kinda' not bad laidat. This evening, I had to spray the kitchen with air freshener, even at that, the smell is still there.

Help!!! What should I do to eradicate this smell. Note, the kitchen has vent and air conditioning.
Your option is to adapt. Must you eat Nigerian food all day? Including Afang, beans, dodo, etc. Can't you just adapt? You are in a different country where there are different norms and perceptions. You should learn to adapt. I'm sure you have adapted in other ways, but this food thing, una no dey ever gree leave am. That taste bud that looks like it can't eat sandwich is something you can train to survive less and less on Nigerian food. If you don't eat Nigerian food, you won't die.
There are other options and you musn't cook everyday.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by irijuola: 12:43am On Oct 10, 2021
19CannyMum:

To remedy any unwanted odors, turn to your spice drawer. Simply boil a few cinnamon sticks for two minutes and then turn the heat to low and let the warm, spiced scent waft through your home; turn the heat off once the pleasant smells take over. It's a stupid-simple trick that works wonders.

The smaller the saucepan, the better. Your fragrance will be more concentrated this way.

And you can drink the cinnamon 'tea' afterwards. I hear it's really yummy.

Really, thanks for understanding. You got my point and gave me a good solution. I appreciate it.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by irijuola: 12:44am On Oct 10, 2021
CountVersailles:

Your option is to adapt. Must you eat Nigerian food all day? Including Afang, beans, dodo, etc. Can't you just adapt? You are in a different country where there are different norms and perceptions. You should learn to adapt. I'm sure you have adapted in other ways, but this food thing, una no dey ever gree leave am. That taste bud that looks like it can't eat sandwich is something you can train to survive less and less on Nigerian food. If you don't eat Nigerian food, you won't die.

I don't even know if you're advising or insulting but whichever it is, no thanks.

49 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 5:22am On Oct 10, 2021
CountVersailles:

The Indians she's living with, are eating their traditional food. The only way food won't 'smell' is if it's really bland. Will a German stop eating Sauerkraut because they moved to Canada?

Abi which Canadian food are you eating? There are very few dishes that can actually be termed Canadian.
Even health care workers will encourage you to keep eating your traditional food. Just as social workers will encourage you to maintain your native language. The norms and perceptions food wise at least is that diversity is strength.

Mix and match, learn new dishes etc. But last last Nigerian cuisine is too exquisite to abandon. Take sandwich to work, yes. But come home and eat sandwich again? Haba.

50 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by lordchosen: 6:40am On Oct 10, 2021
Sammychi90:
Happy new week everyone,

Please my agent made mistake on my flight ticket by inputing wrong date of birth,
Is been a week since my ticket was booked and i get to find out just now sadly �.

Please has anyone encountered such error and how do I go about it ? Ethiopian airline contact has been om voice mail since.

My date of departure is Dec 10th.

Go to their office in one of the International Airport, Lagos or Abuja and change the date of Birth, i don't see that as any problem since your names are correctly spelled. i once did the mistake and never noticed until i wanted to board.....they will rectify it, not a big deal.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by elizyous: 6:43am On Oct 10, 2021
You can check indeed.com

Remember to tailor your CV to every job application u feel u are eligible for.

Fisssssyyy:
Hello Everyone,
I’m a student who recently arrived Canada. I currently reside in North York, Toronto and I’m in dire need of a job. I’ll appreciate if I could get any assistance and guidance on here (and number of agencies I could call) Thank you ��
You can reach me on WhatsApp

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by zionative: 7:10am On Oct 10, 2021
Hello everyone.
I recently got into Canada and I’m looking for friends to connect with around Oshawa or if you stay in surrounding areas here. I’m in a masters program and I’m in my 20s. You can send me a message to connect smiley
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Prettiepearlz(f): 7:57am On Oct 10, 2021
CountVersailles:

And your point is? undecided Some of your comments on this thread though. Since when did wanting to eat your native meal become an issue? Did you miss the part where she said the Indian also makes their native food? And who told you she doesn't know how to eat sandwich? I think it's best to say nothing when you do not have solution to a problem.

30 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by oluayebenz: 9:16am On Oct 10, 2021
Prettiepearlz:

And your point is? undecided Some of your comments on this thread though. Since when did wanting to eat your native meal become an issue? Did you miss the part where she said the Indian also makes their native food? And who told you she doesn't know how to eat sandwich? I think it's best to say nothing when you do not have solution to a problem.

Are you minding that Countversallie......
I don't expect anybody on this thread to take her serious sad

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by yunqdady: 11:04am On Oct 10, 2021
CountVersailles:

This had better be sarcasm else it's plain stupid, condescending and shows lack of self esteem.

23 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by MG007: 11:13am On Oct 10, 2021
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by MG007: 11:14am On Oct 10, 2021
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Samadhii(m): 2:07pm On Oct 10, 2021
TheShaman:
If possible, do it the day before your flight. If you can, please go to Clina Lancet in V.I. I did mine there and got the test by evening.

Please, how much does the test cost there? Do I pay in cash?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by OloriOfMontreal: 2:09pm On Oct 10, 2021
NaijaCanadian28:

I applied for my sister in the US some months ago and IRCC granted her the visa but didn’t approve her entry into Canada. Till today I don’t understand what happened. Meanwhile, why do you still need the authorization? If I’m not mistaken, Canada has already opened its borders . This measure was put in place months ago because our borders were not open to everyone and they wanted close families of PRs and citizens to be able to see their families. You don’t need this again.

Thank you for the response and clarification and sorry to hear your sister wasn't allowed entry.

That's right, they already lifted the border restrictions.

Does this mean we have to wait for the usual 200+ days plus to process the visit visa? I was hoping there was a way to fast track the application for immediate families who currently don't have a visa to travel.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by OloriOfMontreal: 2:13pm On Oct 10, 2021
maziude:

For Immediate family member, you don’t need any letter of authorization or exemption.

Thank you for the clarification.

An open question that I still have (and posted in my reply above):

Does this mean that when we apply for my spouse's visit visa, our application will be automatically treated as priority or considered using the current processing time for visit visa which according to their website it's approximately 200+ days?

Just want to make sure we aren't missing a way to fast track the app if that possibility exists.

Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by NaijaCanadian28: 2:50pm On Oct 10, 2021
OloriOfMontreal:

Thank you for the response and clarification and sorry to hear your sister wasn't allowed entry.

That's right, they already lifted the border restrictions.

Does this mean we have to wait for the usual 200+ days plus to process the visit visa? I was hoping there was a way to fast track the application for immediate families who currently don't have a visa to travel.

Oh I understand your point now. I don’t think there’s any way you can fast track (I researched online). 200+ plus days is so outrageous sha. I didn’t even know it is taking that long now. This pandemic messed so many things up.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 4:09pm On Oct 10, 2021
irijuola:

I don't even know if you're advising or insulting but whichever it is, no thanks.
she don kolo lol. Some landlords in gta dont take Nigerians because of this food issue, there houses are not well ventilated. I remembered when i stayed in a basement to use pepper and onion na wahala grin. Cook with low heat and also spray perfume grin

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Shokoloko(f): 7:35pm On Oct 10, 2021
irijuola:
Hiiiiiii

Order from bed, bath and beyond: Amco houseworks odor absorbing folding splatter screen. The activated carbon filter absorbs odors while cooking. (I don't think this will work for cooking with "Iru". Iru might destroy the splatter. But I have tried it with crayfish and stockfish)

Also order from bed, bath and beyond; Smells begone. Pulls odors into the gel. Keep on kitchen counter
Thank me later

18 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by irijuola: 9:50pm On Oct 10, 2021
Shokoloko:

Order from bed, bath and beyond: Amco houseworks odor absorbing folding splatter screen. The activated carbon filter absorbs odors while cooking.
Also order from bed, bath and beyond; Smells begone. Pulls odors into the gel. Keep on kitchen counter
Thank me later

Thanks. I'll try it out.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by irijuola: 9:51pm On Oct 10, 2021
ednut1:
she don kolo lol. Some landlords in gta dont take Nigerians because of this food issue, there houses are not well ventilated. I remembered when i stayed in a basement to use pepper and onion na wahala grin. Cook with low heat and also spray perfume grin

Thanks smiley
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by OloriOfMontreal: 3:08am On Oct 11, 2021
NaijaCanadian28:

Oh I understand your point now. I don’t think there’s any way you can fast track (I researched online). 200+ plus days is so outrageous sha. I didn’t even know it is taking that long now. This pandemic messed so many things up.

As in its so ridiculous. It's even better now. During the pandemic it was pegged at 300 to 400 days+ and that's obviously because it was put on hold. I guess they're working through the backlog of applicants.

Thanks for your help and clarification. I appreciate it.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Bushboy009: 5:38pm On Oct 11, 2021
E con be like na only me be Nigerian wey dy Sydney Nova Scotia .. i pray PPR Land for my brothers and sisters . If you’re coming to cape Breton university, there is a 2bedroom apt we can share . You’ll see it yourself before we pay .
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by md16: 10:58pm On Oct 11, 2021
Hi everyone,

So, I’m considering doing an MPH program with this James Lind Institute (JLI) Switzerland, but I realize there’s no much review on the program. I need help making the right choice before enrolling.

The goal for doing the MPH is ultimately for Canadian Immigration. The program is online and I’m not sure if it’ll be recognized by Education evaluation for Canadian immigrations.

I need advice on the best course of action.

Thank you. �
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by NaijaCanadian28: 2:30am On Oct 12, 2021
OloriOfMontreal:

As in its so ridiculous. It's even better now. During the pandemic it was pegged at 300 to 400 days+ and that's obviously because it was put on hold. I guess they're working through the backlog of applicants.

Thanks for your help and clarification. I appreciate it.

You’re welcome
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Dimple10: 10:48am On Oct 13, 2021
cinnamon sticks and citrus peels (lemon, lime, oranges) work for removing smells
irijuola:

Thanks lols grin.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by EDGEof2MORO: 11:23am On Oct 13, 2021
irijuola:
Hiiiiiii

it could be the specie of your ingredients are different or going bad because beans or afang do not have awful smell while cooking.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (505) (506) (507) (508) (509) (510) (511) ... (713) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.