Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,332 members, 7,811,968 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:07 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (55) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2184617 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) ... (713) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by jholarharde(f): 9:33pm On Feb 12, 2019
I officially welcome myself to this thread as I have being a peeping tom all these while. Thanks to everyone who has been helpful on this thread. Pls I will like to be added to the calgary/Alberta WhatsApp group. I will be landing with my family in may, and will really appreciate any community support we can get. @einsteino you be boss. God bless you. your posts are really enlightening

14 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 10:01pm On Feb 12, 2019
oluphilip2008:
LANDING GIST!!!! Long Post Alert!!!!

Good day dear Canny family. Here's my landing gist.

My application was submitted on the 3rd of June, 2018. I got to know that my application was approved on the 26th of October, but no ppr mail yet, but then we started preparing for our journey in earnest(we knew after approval, ppr will definitely arrive).

But we waited the whole of November, ppr mail never came, until I eventually wrote a mail to Kyiv VO on the 5thh of December, a day after crossing the 6months processing timeline. PPR mail was released 2days after writing Kyiv VO(7th December). We bought our tickets almost immediately with Ethiopian airlines against 28th January, 2019. We got our approved and stamped passports, as well as our COPR back from Accra on the 6th of January (almost one month after passports submission).

We needed to do some renovations on the house before deciding on what what to do with it. This renovation works set our preparations back with about one week, as the entire house was upside down and we couldn't really do much. Finally we were left with only one week to our travel date, time seemed to be flying so fast that 24hours seemed not to be enough in a day.

We bought a hand digital scale to weigh our bags to ensure they're all within the normal limits. I had put a 4litres palm oil in the freezer about a week earlier (I should have done like 6 smaller bottles of 75cl instead). The palm oil didn't eventually make it as our luggages were already overweight at the dying minute. There was no way to reduce the palm oil and take smaller quantity as it was frozen. Hubby didn't even give me the chance to reason what else we can remove before dropping my palm oil. Very painful, but I couldn't do anything about it.

Our Ethiopian flight was for 1:25pm. Family and friends came to pick us up at around 9am. My brother in law brought a truck and my husband's colleague also came with one of their office trucks to help with our luggages. In total, we had 14 pieces of 23kg bags and 7pcs of 7kg bags, 2 computer bags and one hand bag (reminds me of the popular saying 'eleru town council', that's only for those who understand grin). We're a family of 7. I decided to use all my luggage allowance instead of spending so much money to cargo. We limited our clothings to about 6bags only(mostly native attires). Other personal effects like documents, pictures etc were put in the 7kg bags. The rest of the bags contained foodstuffs (8pcs of 23kgs).

We decided to have some photo sessions before leaving our home, which took another 30mins or more. We finally left the house around 9:40am. We arrived at the Nnamdi Azikiwe int'l airport at about 10:25 am. We got 5trolley guys to help with our luggage. When one of the trolley guys found out we were using Ethiopian airlines, he decided to go for another client. This is because Ethiopian air has moved to the newly constructed terminal, which is a bit far and they had to push the trolleys a long distance. Long story short, we got another guy to push the rest.

We proceeded smoothly for check in. The custom guys separated some of our bags for physical checks after passing them through the scanner. But fortunately for us, a friend of ours who works at the airport stepped in and talked to the guy to allow us go as we were already running late for our flight.

We proceeded to Ethiopian check in counter, got the boarding passes and went to check in our luggages. Even after all the weighing and reweighing we did back home, some of the bags were still over the minimum weight, some were between 23.5 to 23.8, but the guy decided to overlook them since none was up to 24kg. We begged him to check in 5 of the 7hand luggages for us, but he didn't oblige. Saying that Ethiopian airlines does not allow that, and that if we wanted them checked in at all cost, we would have to pay.

Only the 6 bags containing clothes were in proper traveling boxes, we used cargo sacks and Ghana must go bags for the rest of the loads to reduce weight and cost of bags. So after weighing all the bags, he tagged the boxes and asked to take the rest for wrapping, there was only one guy doing shrink wrapping at the new terminal, he had some other people waiting too, so it took a while before it got to our turn. While waiting to wrap, we had to start taking out some things that won't be allowed into the airplane from hand lugages and replace them with other things from the big bags. We finished with the shrink wrapping (@1k per bag) went back to tag them, we found we had overshot the weight of the big bags again, some of them now weighing 24+kg. The guy became angry that we had added other items after he had weighed all the bags, my husband calmly explained to him that we only tried to reshuffle the bags as we needed to take out all liquid and other items that won't make it into the plane. We told him we had initially thought we could check in those hand luggages. He sha grudgingly checked-in all the bags like that. Hubby gave him a little tip thereafter.

At this time, my 2yr old was already crying and throwing tantrums every where. She was hungry as she refused to eat her breakfast before we left the house. I quickly gave her from the food we brought from home before proceeding to the boarding area. My husband started filling the immigration cards. He had only filled 2 of the yellow cards when boarding announcement was made. I had to trash the rest of my baby's food and quickly joined in filling the forms. When the hand luggages were scanned , they discovered some items that we didn't remember to remove, like body cream, toothpaste, shoe polish, lubricant (shame catch me for this one no be small *covers face*).

We finally boarded and we all gave a huge sigh of relief. Plane took off as scheduled. There was in-flight entertainment, but I was too tired to watch anything. Hubby, my 2yr old daughter and I all slept through out the Abuja- Addis leg. My older children engaged themselves with games and movies all through. I've never been a fan of food while flying, cos I usually feel sick from cabin pressure (I had even vomitted on one of my previous trips undecided). To minimize the nausea and motion sickness, I try not to eat while flying. So the first leg I didn't bother to collect food as the sleep was even more important to me.

Our lay over at Addis was for about 2:30 mins. By then I was already super hungry, I had to go to duty free area to buy snacks and drinks, which I couldn't even bring to the boarding area. So I sat there, ate and drank, before going back to the boarding area. The time ran so fast. We boarded for the next flight to Dublin. Had a technical stop for 45mins. I didn't eat on this flight as well, but asked for water. By the time we took off for the Toronto leg, I was already terribly hungry, so I had to eat something. I asked for chicken, ate only the chicken and left the pasta. At least I had something to hold my Tommy grin.
The kids slept for most part of the addis-dublin leg, and slept all through the Dublin-Toronto leg.

We landed Toronto Pearson international at 7:15 am, Tuesday, 29th January, but passengers could not disembark from the plane for almost an hour after landing, the pilot announced parking space was not ready yet. Finally, we arrived at immigration. All documents were checked, questions about criminality and all were asked. All the formalities done and our one way immigrant visa was cancelled, we got the magical 'welcome to Canada'�. I gave them the address of our rented apartment which was not going to be ready for move- in until 7th February.

We proceeded to service Canada and did our SIN registration. We got all the welcome to Canada packages. Every of the officers seemed overly nice, as they all chatted and laughed with us at every point. We felt so welcomed and special.

We went to baggage claim. Got all our bags. We were too tired to start pushing trolley by ourselves. So we got one of the big Trolley guys to carry all the big bags, while we carried the small bags by ourselves. He charged us 32 dollars, at that time we were left with no choice as we were already running late for our connecting flight to Edmonton. When I saw that the distance from the carousel to the baggage check in area was so short, e be like say make I slap the guy grin. After checking our bags it was just about 5mins to boarding. But on getting to the boarding area, it was announced that the flight had been delayed due to bad weather. The flight was originally for 12:46 pm, but we ended up boarding at around 2:50pm. After we finished boarding, plane did not still take off. We were waiting on board for another 40minutes. By this time, my kids were all tired and hungry. I knew food was for sale on Air Canada local flight. So I called them that I wanted to buy food for my kids, but that I had only cash, they said I could only use credit card to pay. Luckily for me, the kids understood our predicament. It turned out that the guy sitting right behind me overheard our conversation with the flight attendant. When it was time to start serving food and drinks, the attendant came to ask what the kids would love to eat. I reminded her of our previous conversation about cash payment and all that, that was when she told us that the gentleman behind us said we should order anything the kids wanted. By this time, they were all fast asleep. So I told her to give them anything that kids usually love. She packed food for all the kids and gave to me, then the man himself still went ahead and ordered some other goodies for them, of course, they couldn't eat any of them. So we did naija style (take away cheesy). We couldn't thank him enough.

We arrived Edmonton airport at around 7 something. We were welcomed by the cold and the snow sight was beautiful to behold. Two of our friends were waiting at the airport to receive us, let me also say that, I didn't know them from anywhere, I posted on the Edmonton platform that I was going to land in Edmonton and I don't have anybody on ground, this special lady (I call her my angel) contacted me, started scouting for houses for me, she would book appointment for apartment viewing. She has just been wonderful.
Their vans could not take everybody and all the bags, so we had to hire Uber too. We were taken to our cozy airbnb apartment which was to be our home for the next 9days. Our friends had prepared jollof rice and chicken, and drinks. We did justice to the food and we all rested from the long journey which happened to be the most stressful journey I've had in my entire life.

The following day, I bought a phone and a Canadian line, while hubby bought only the line. We opened our bank accounts with RBC, we were given temporary cards with which we can do Atm withdrawals and that our credit cards will arrive in about 10days. They gave us credit limit of 2k each.

We've done the Alberta health registration, visited some immigration agencies. Bredin center has been of great assistance, we were booked at Edmonton Mennonite center for new comers against this coming Tuesday.

We didn't contact the education board for the kids registration until we moved to our rented apartment on Thursday last week. We called the Catholic education board on Friday and the children were booked for assessment against this coming Thursday.

We have also been booked for some employers connect program this coming week.

So far, everything has been going on greatly. Just that the weather has been extreme. But we've shopped for the right winter gears, so we're good.

We're also preparing for the driver's licence knowledge test and all. The vehicle we got couldn't be registered yet as insurance companies are giving us crazy quotes, because we've got a Nigerian license. So, the idea of insurance has been shelved for now till we are able to get the Alberta license.

Thanks to this great family for all the great information being shared on this platform. God bless you all kiss

Sorry to bore you with the long story�

Pls make how did u meet up with POF considering your large family. Hope it was not difficult

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by wendylicious9: 10:09pm On Feb 12, 2019
hi guys,

I'm about to start the process of converting my ACCA to CPA, Please I need help with paying for the Overview of Canadian Law and Tax online. The website is rejecting my GTB card. please assist me.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by iPopAlomo(m): 10:54pm On Feb 12, 2019
That's true... Would love to be added to any Ottawa WhatsApp group...
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by StKizito2: 1:09am On Feb 13, 2019
tempest01:
You guys are just posting landing gist,

But I've been begging since.

Please, who is coming to canada soon?

I need waec scratch card. Please.

Have you been sorted now, l know someone who is landing in 2weeks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by jelmusboy(m): 1:28am On Feb 13, 2019
See question shocked

Folafikemi:

Pls make how did u meet up with POF considering your large family. Hope it was not difficult

11 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by voguemum: 2:14am On Feb 13, 2019
einsteino:
For those of you who are considering buying a step down transformer to use with their (naija) appliances when you land, you may want to read this before you invest your money into one.

You just read my mind on this because I have been thinking of asking about travelling with my precious electrical wanna maker and Kenwood mixer but ive been very busy lately to come online to ask. Then I decided to search for a step down adaptor/transformer and also watched a YouTube video where someone one was sent a 220v appliance instead of a 110v one which was compatible with his countries voltage, but then I still wanted to clarify if anyone has successfully used the adaptor over there with Nigerian appliances. My waina maker can't be left here in naija oooo
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by czaratwork: 2:27am On Feb 13, 2019
wendylicious9:
hi guys,

I'm about to start the process of converting my ACCA to CPA, Please I need help with paying for the Overview of Canadian Law and Tax online. The website is rejecting my GTB card. please assist me.

Thanks

I think they only accept certified cheque. Those that recently converted should please confirm.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ceemac: 2:49am On Feb 13, 2019
h
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by slydog(m): 4:01am On Feb 13, 2019
Morning house, pls advise. I just wrote ielts this month & also want to process for eca. I intend going as a couple however, I'm the PA & I have a Ph.D degree while my spouse a bachelor's. Do I need to assess only my degree or mine & spouse?
Secondly, is it advisable to assess my masters & PhD given that I'm not yet in academics yet so I can use either my masters and PhD to get any job when we arrive?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Lastruct: 6:10am On Feb 13, 2019
jholarharde:
I officially welcome myself to this thread as I have being a peeping tom all these while. Thanks to everyone who has been helpful on this thread. Pls I will like to be added to the calgary/Alberta WhatsApp group. I will be landing with my family in may, and will really appreciate any community support we can get. @einsteino you be boss. God bless you. your posts are really enlightening

Thank you Jhorlaharde. Please i’m Interested in the Calgary/Alberta WhatsApp group as well. Landing in Calgary by first week June. Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by lobell: 7:27am On Feb 13, 2019
slydog:
Morning house, pls advise. I just wrote ielts this month & also want to process for eca. I intend going as a couple however, I'm the PA & I have a Ph.D degree while my spouse a bachelor's. Do I need to assess only my degree or mine & spouse?
Secondly, is it advisable to assess my masters & PhD given that I'm not yet in academics yet so I can use either my masters and PhD to get any job when we arrive?

You will need to familiarize yourself with page one of the prequel to this thread. This one is for people who have jumped through all the hoops in Naija and have gone across the salty river to Canada.

That said, your eca is not for securing a job. It is to get points enough to get ITA. So yeah, just your PhD will do. Assessing your spouses qualification or if she (I'm assuming she's a she. You can't be too careful these days) needs to challenge the IELTS is to help boost your scores.

Your starting point should be the crs tool on the cic website where you get a chance to play around with the different criteria to see how it affects your scores (You should be targeting 400+). Then off to the sister thread (That is the prequel to this one. It is currently in part 6 (search for express entry part 6)), specifically page one. Spend a lot of time here and you'll be fine or as my pipu will say, "las las you go dey alright".

Cheers.

9 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by tempest01(m): 7:44am On Feb 13, 2019
StKizito2:

Have you been sorted now, l know someone who is landing in 2weeks

Thanks bro..ive seen someone from here landing in some weeks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Kvdag(m): 8:01am On Feb 13, 2019
Please I will like to be added to any Toronto Whatsapp group. Thank you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by gook: 8:17am On Feb 13, 2019
snoop4dem:
Hi Guys, I still need help with getting driving records insurance from Nigeria. If you have any contact or are able to help, I will really appreciate it as my present driving insurance cost is crazy and I was told to get a letter from an Insurance company from Nigeria about my driving records and that I had no at-fault claims

I know someone you can speak to if you haven't gotten one.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Lastruct: 8:23am On Feb 13, 2019
Hey my people. Please oh, I just got a good deal from Jumia, Abuja to Calgary through London Gatwik Airport.
Stop over of about 5hours, will I be needing a transit. VISA please. It’s urgently needed my people. Thank you guys.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by bolodre(m): 9:22am On Feb 13, 2019
Pls who has an infant and booked on Jumia, Skyscanner and all. Each time I try to book, I am being charged the same fare for both adults and my 7 months infant. Is dis normal pls?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by iPopAlomo(m): 9:48am On Feb 13, 2019
Lastruct:
Hey my people. Please oh, I just got a good deal from Jumia, Abuja to Calgary through London Gatwik Airport.
Stop over of about 5hours, will I be needing a transit. VISA please. It’s urgently needed my people. Thank you guys.

Will need this link... Please share...
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by toskeO: 9:57am On Feb 13, 2019
Congratulations on your arrival....is there an edmonton whatsapp group that i could be included in please?

oluphilip2008:
LANDING GIST!!!! Long Post Alert!!!!

So far, everything has been going on greatly. Just that the weather has been extreme. But we've shopped for the right winter gears, so we're good.

We're also preparing for the driver's licence knowledge test and all. The vehicle we got couldn't be registered yet as insurance companies are giving us crazy quotes, because we've got a Nigerian license. So, the idea of insurance has been shelved for now till we are able to get the Alberta license.

Thanks to this great family for all the great information being shared on this platform. God bless you all kiss

Sorry to bore you with the long story�

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by smslive2: 10:20am On Feb 13, 2019
You are Here abi @Ifeo.ma grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Ifeoma77:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin poundo straight outta Colombia

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by joo2018: 10:32am On Feb 13, 2019
It is a bit complicated but, for a Nigerian, generally you will not need a visa if
i. you are transiting to Canada
ii. you will not leave the main airport building
iii. your onward flight is not in another airport
vi. you will not need to collect your bags and check them in to your onward flight
v. your onward flight does not leave on a different calendar day to when you arrive

You might need to check here: https://www.gov.uk/transit-visa

Lastruct:

5 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ifeoma77(f): 10:39am On Feb 13, 2019
smslive2:
You are Here abi @Ifeo.ma grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
tongue tongue tongue grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Godsfavouredone: 11:08am On Feb 13, 2019
Good morning people,
Please I got a quote from EgyptAir for business class ticket for family of 4 @ about 1.2M and Lufthansa for economy family of 4 for the same 1.2M. Please kindly advise which to pick.

Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by iaatmguy(m): 1:03pm On Feb 13, 2019
jholarharde:
you can say that again (the bolded ). Hence, i hail him intermittently, when he goes on a "no posting mode". i doff my hat

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by einsteino(m): 1:28pm On Feb 13, 2019
jholarharde:
. @einsteino you be boss. God bless you. your posts are really enlightening
Thanks alot Sir/Ma'am...
Nothing special, na just osusu, me sef chop/benefit from the ones wey others contribute, so its only fair I contribute.

13 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by jhorlarharde02: 1:51pm On Feb 13, 2019
einsteino:

Thanks alot Sir/Ma'am...
Nothing special, na just osusu, me sef chop/benefit from the ones wey others contribute, so its only fair I contribute.
nice of you to give back, we appreciate cool
Lastruct:

Thank you Jhorlaharde. Please i’m Interested in the Calgary/Alberta WhatsApp group as well. Landing in Calgary by first week June. Thanks
still waiting for anyone with the link, i will reach out to if and when i'm added. kindly do same, whenever you get an invite too.
May God bless our new land
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ifeoma77(f): 2:06pm On Feb 13, 2019
Godsfavouredone:
Good morning people,
Please I got a quote from EgyptAir for business class ticket for family of 4 @ about 1.2M and Lufthansa for economy family of 4 for the same 1.2M. Please kindly advise which to pick.

Thanks
Choose the one with shorter layovers.
Also, Egypt air is known for binning fish grin

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by evanehman: 2:28pm On Feb 13, 2019
Godsfavouredone:
Good morning people,

Thanks

Also compare baggage allowance

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Godsfavouredone: 2:49pm On Feb 13, 2019
Ifeoma77:

Choose the one with shorter layovers.
Also, Egypt air is known for binning fish grin

Thanks at lot

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Godsfavouredone: 2:50pm On Feb 13, 2019
evanehman:

Also compare baggage allowance

Thanks will check it right away.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by sleekysoft(m): 3:27pm On Feb 13, 2019
Hello Seniors , please help me oo!! Anyone flew air canada before ? IS it the regular 2 ( 23kg) baggage’s allowance
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by hayor2014(m): 4:57pm On Feb 13, 2019
bolodre:
Pls who has an infant and booked on Jumia, Skyscanner and all. Each time I try to book, I am being charged the same fare for both adults and my 7 months infant. Is dis normal pls?

What airline do you want to use, i booked for my infant on Ethiopia App, and was charged less that 15k for her......Why don't u use the airline app or site direct....after scanning for prices on Skyscanner for the selected date,this gives you and idea of the most affordable for that date

10 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) ... (713) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: Haircomb and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.