Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,795 members, 7,820,791 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:43 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (609) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2194550 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (606) (607) (608) (609) (610) (611) (612) ... (713) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by aestake: 9:51pm On Sep 24, 2022
seunpinky:

This is my opinion based on my discussions with some folks that came into as students..
1. You should have your tuition fees for the first year.
2. You can survive (living expenses) on the income you earn while working.
3. You must be ready to hustle real hard, you will do the normal 20 hours a week job and you will also do cash jobs to get extra income.
4. Once the school is on long holiday, you will work for like 80hours a week in other to save up. The money u make during the long break would be used to pay your second year fees.
5. You won't live a luxurious life for these 2 years period. No unnecessary spending, no dates, no fancy phones on credit etc.

N:B: working cash jobs/extra hours during school session is illegal, so u must not be caught.

In summary, ensure that your first year tuition is sorted before u leave Nigeria
People who are in Nigeria see wonders!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by seunpinky(m): 12:02am On Sep 25, 2022
House34:
Please ,what current dowmpayment % for first time home buyer in toronto 5% or 10%??
Your down payment as a first time home owner is determined by the price of your house:
5% on the first 500k cad
10% from 501k to 999k cad
20% flat on any house above 1m cad

Illustrations
Case 1:
House price 450k
Down payment is 5% of 450 that is 22.5k

Case 2:
House price is 950k
Down payment is
5% of 500k = 25k
10% of 450= 45k
Total down payment is 70k

Case 3:
House price is 1m
Down payment is 20% ie 200k

Also note that the down payment is not the only fee required to buying a home. You should budget another 10k - 15k for closing costs ( lawyers fee, PST on mortgage insurance, Land Transfer Tax,Title insurance)

24 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Solidcitizen: 2:37pm On Sep 25, 2022
Please is it possible to re-route my flight on Ethiopian Airlines? I initially booked Toronto but I’ve changed my mind to Calgary. Has anyone ever done this? Wanted to ask their customer care, but I couldn’t reach them
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by CountVersailles(f): 4:40pm On Sep 25, 2022
Solidcitizen:
Please is it possible to re-route my flight on Ethiopian Airlines? I initially booked Toronto but I’ve changed my mind to Calgary. Has anyone ever done this? Wanted to ask their customer care, but I couldn’t reach them
You can always "manage" your booking with any airline. Go to their website with your booking confirmation. As long as you booked with them and not an agent
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Honeysweetest(f): 5:10pm On Sep 25, 2022
Prettiepearlz:

It’s a SCAM, can’t you read between the lines? You are even making enquiries so you will possibly look into the possibility of doing such? I have heard of a scam where the werey agent took them to Ghana to do biometrics, it still ended up being a scam.
I wanted to mention him or her and call him a scammer, this is how they support post like this and make the victim think he is in right hand.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by canadaishome: 11:46pm On Sep 25, 2022
Good day all

For those that live in Regina Saskatchewan, does applying for Regina housing in first year of landing affect residency or citizenship in the future?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Traydeeyoyo: 12:38am On Sep 26, 2022
Hey, have you landed now? I’m landing at the end of October from Australia. Any advice on how to rent?

Dabgdap:
I'll be landing Calgary on the 1st of September. anyone with a shared apartment or needing a roommate please message me.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Anaya4life: 8:12am On Sep 26, 2022
Please for those who have settled a bit in Canada, ar there prospects for a biochemist.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by slydog(m): 9:01am On Sep 26, 2022
canadaishome:
Good day all

For those that live in Regina Saskatchewan, does applying for Regina housing in first year of landing affect residency or citizenship in the future?
Absolutely not. Apply as early as 2months sef, no shaking

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Kingmat: 1:46pm On Sep 26, 2022
i would also like to be added to any of the groups, i would be landing next month. Thank you very plenty
godofgidi:
pls can I be added to the group?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by canadaishome: 7:24pm On Sep 26, 2022
slydog:

Thank you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Zeewirld: 8:54pm On Sep 26, 2022
seunpinky:

Your down payment as a first time home owner is determined by the price of your house:
5% on the first 500k cad
10% from 501k to 999k cad
20% flat on any house above 1m cad

Illustrations
Case 1:
House price 450k
Down payment is 5% of 450 that is 22.5k

Case 2:
House price is 950k
Down payment is
5% of 500k = 25k
10% of 450= 45k
Total down payment is 70k

Case 3:
House price is 1m
Down payment is 20% ie 200k

Also note that the down payment is not the only fee required to buying a home. You should budget another 10k - 15k for closing costs ( lawyers fee, PST on mortgage insurance, Land Transfer Tax,Title insurance)

What then is the advantage of buying houses through mortgage considering that you still pay humongous amounts as closing costs.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Zeewirld: 8:58pm On Sep 26, 2022
slydog:

... Is that not like a government funded housing scheme..What's the advantage of applying for it and for how long can one enjoy it?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by amdman: 9:04pm On Sep 26, 2022
Zeewirld:

What then is the advantage of buying houses through mortgage considering that you still pay humongous amounts as closing costs.

Whether you purchase via mortgage or cash, you will pay closing costs.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by slydog(m): 9:11pm On Sep 26, 2022
Zeewirld:
... Is that not like a government funded housing scheme..What's the advantage of applying for it and for how long can one enjoy it?
It's provincial govt.
You enjoy it as long as your income remains very low. As you get good jobs, the rent begin to increase and you will run away yourself.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by seunpinky(m): 9:36pm On Sep 26, 2022
Zeewirld:

You can't buy a house in countries like US, Canada without paying closing costs.
1. Does closing costs affects the huge advantages of buying a house? NO
2. Does closing cost stop people from buying a house? NO
Closing cost is a requirement in buying a house.

The issue of advantages of buying a house is a topic for another day, most times people don't understand it until they land in a developed country.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 10:02pm On Sep 26, 2022
Zeewirld:

advantage Where will you see cash of 500k to 900k to buy house which still has closing costs lol

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Dabgdap(f): 12:05am On Sep 27, 2022
oh great.
could you please pm me the company website so I can have a look?
Many thanks in advance!

einsteino:

Yes, the firm is in many markets and is one of North America's largest engineering firms. So it has engineers from various disciplines, not only civil. There are some openings for project coordinator and field engineers posted on the company website.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Legacyedition: 6:50am On Sep 27, 2022
cooooooks:
You mean fly in with indomie and goat meat?

Yes for indomie, unsure for goat meat.

HOWEVER, I strongly suggest that you buy the noodles in Canada. They go for $0.17 to $0.50 each depending on location.

Thanks. I didn't carry it. Got a box for $24 in Vancouver. It used to be $1/piece 5 months ago, reason I wanted to carry it when I came to Nigeria. Bought 9lbs New Zealand goat shoulder for about $33 .
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by maziude: 1:21pm On Sep 27, 2022
Zeewirld:

You never ready.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by prisKaa(f): 1:45pm On Sep 27, 2022
Good day everyone, does anyone know the email address of Calgary ministry of transportation. FIr the purpose of obtaining a DL extract from Nigeria, I was told this is a new requirement. I've searched online, but cant seem to find it. Kindly help post it here if you know it. Thank you in advance
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Omobolarin: 3:37pm On Sep 27, 2022
Thanks
AZeD1:

Yes.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Amandacanny: 5:36pm On Sep 27, 2022
Good morning my people, pls is there a WhatsApp group for those in Hamilton. I need to join pls. Thank you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by seunpinky(m): 10:39pm On Sep 27, 2022
Amandacanny:
Good morning my people, pls is there a WhatsApp group for those in Hamilton. I need to join pls. Thank you
Are u male or female?
Mention me on a dead thread, I will send u my email address and u will be added to some groups. I don't have access to my NL mail so I can't attend to your
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Reedahbaby01(f): 4:27am On Sep 28, 2022
Hello everyone
our flight is this afternoon
we totally forgot that all these covid requirements will be wiped on the 1st October ,arrive Can requested for covid test result for the 15 year old and the 12 year old among us because we got our second dose of vaccine on the 21st (which isn't up to two weeks)
Is it possible to have a covid test done and get it before 1:40 of this afternoon?
please help guys
thank you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 8:28am On Sep 28, 2022
sad Car struck by lightning

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Maxxim: 8:33am On Sep 28, 2022
ednut1:
sad Car struck by lightning
Lol
if its Naija, people will say the car owner has done some bad deeds

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by lovelygirl4life: 8:58am On Sep 28, 2022
Hello all,

As someone coming to study in Canada..

Can one buy a house? Does it have any long term effect in terms of PR and Citizenship..?

Can one pay cash to buy a house? Does it have to be mortgage..

Thank you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ehinjuola: 9:10am On Sep 28, 2022
Maxxim:
Lol if its Naija, people will say the car owner has done some bad deeds
Lol.... For this one case, na Thor wan come down.
Morning from Agege, here in 9ja
Will soon JAPA though.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by House34: 9:21am On Sep 28, 2022
lovelygirl4life:
Hello all,

As someone coming to study in Canada..

Can one buy a house? Does it have any long term effect in terms of PR and Citizenship..?

Can one pay cash to buy a house? Does it have to be mortgage..

Thank you

You can pay cash,if u can afford it but having house has no connection with Pr or citizenship
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by sheffyUTD(m): 11:49am On Sep 28, 2022
Traydeeyoyo:
Hey, have you landed now? I’m landing at the end of October from Australia. Any advice on how to rent?

Chief, I am curious to know why you are leaving Ausie. I 'believe' they offer almost similar opportunities. I will appreciate your response please.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Maxxim: 12:40pm On Sep 28, 2022
Ehinjuola:

Lol.... For this one case, na Thor wan come down.

Morning from Agege, here in 9ja

Will soon JAPA though.
Lmao
Greetings from ikotun lagos

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (606) (607) (608) (609) (610) (611) (612) ... (713) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.