Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,766 members, 7,820,676 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:16 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (610) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2194481 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (607) (608) (609) (610) (611) (612) (613) ... (713) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by aestake: 12:50pm On Sep 28, 2022
sheffyUTD:

Chief, I am curious to know why you are leaving Ausie. I 'believe' they offer almost similar opportunities. I will appreciate your response please.
Not everyone can get PR where they are. Let him talk sha.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 2:30pm On Sep 28, 2022
sheffyUTD:

Chief, I am curious to know why you are leaving Ausie. I 'believe' they offer almost similar opportunities. I will appreciate your response please.
two of my friends also landed from Australia this month. Australia pr has not been straight forward since 2019, govt changes policies at will. Express entry scores jumped from 440s to 470s about the same time Australia began hanky panky in april 2019 ( coincidence). They have excluded some occupations, they also are doing regional visa where you have to live in those dead desert zones for 2 or 3 years before you can apply PR. People will always look for better easier alternatives. Canada itself now self no come easy again as scores don enter 500.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by megastu(m): 2:57pm On Sep 28, 2022
full goat na $350 for Toronto oh.
Legacyedition:

Thanks. I didn't carry it. Got a box for $24 in Vancouver. It used to be $1/piece 5 months ago, reason I wanted to carry it when I came to Nigeria. Bought 9lbs New Zealand goat shoulder for about $33 .
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by sheffyUTD(m): 3:27pm On Sep 28, 2022
ednut1:
two of my friends also landed from Australia this month. Australia pr has not straight forward since 2019, govt changes policies at will. Express entry scores jumped from 440s to 470s about the same time Australia began hanky panky in april 2019 ( coincidence). They have excluded some occupations, they also are doing regional visa where you have to live in those dead desert zones for 2 or 3 years before you can apply PR. People will always look for better easier alternatives. Canada itself now self no come easy again as scores don enter 500.

Thank you. Nice input.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Amandacanny: 5:18pm On Sep 29, 2022
Hello,
I've been looking for how to mention you on a dead thread ooo. Can't find.
My email for this purpose: macy4karen@gmail.com
Thank you

seunpinky:

Are u male or female?
Mention me on a dead thread, I will send u my email address and u will be added to some groups. I don't have access to my NL mail so I can't attend to your
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by seunpinky(m): 6:26pm On Sep 29, 2022
Amandacanny:

Hello,
I've been looking for how to mention you on a dead thread ooo. Can't find.
My email for this purpose: macy4karen@gmail.com
Thank you

Sent you a mail
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Tyola(m): 8:53pm On Sep 29, 2022
Oga Ednut, well done. your sense plenty.... You too de make sense

ednut1:
advantage Where will you see cash of 500k to 900k to buy house which still has closing costs lol
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by canadaishome: 3:35am On Sep 30, 2022
ipobcannibals:
Construction profession is best for you, depending on the lifestyle you want, but make sure you join one of the trades unions like locals 183 (residential constructions), 506 (labourers construction), 27 (carpenters union), 79 (heavy equipment/crane operators), 793 (plumbers union), 353 (electricians union) and so on.
The good thing with construction is that once you are union member, you don’t need all these resumes and will never be scared of loosing your job if you decide to take a long vacation. As a unionized construction worker, you get paid well and get most benefits for yourself and family that most other profession don’t get. Benefits like medical, dental, physio, travel insurance, partial scholarships for your kids, optical and others I can’t think of now, but them plenty. You even get benefits for marijuana if you’re into weed too, provided you have a doctor’s prescription. You can decide to work 6-8 months in a year and use the remaining 4 months to do other things/business if you like. It gives you flexibility like mad. Some people work 8 months during the warmer months and go on EI during the winter months.
And once you have your red seal or journeyman permit in construction, you can even work in the US.

Abeg what about becoming a mechanic?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by cooooooks(m): 3:58am On Sep 30, 2022
I've used Air Maroc a few times.

The flight itself is cool. It's the wait at the Casablanca airport that is annoying. Speaking French helps with Air Maroc.

The last time I was there, before covid, we used the new terminal, not the waiting room that is like a secondary school dormitory.

If you're not leaving from Lagos and not landing (final destination) in Montreal, AND you have full luggage, you may find that using Air Canada/Lufthansa is ultimately cheaper or at worse, $100-$200 more expensive.

sammyfrance23:
Hello everyone,
I’m about to book my flight to Montreal and I can see Royal Air Maroc for about 300k plus which is quite reasonable but I want to know if this is a good flight to fly with
Help!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by cooooooks(m): 3:59am On Sep 30, 2022
Callous.

ednut1:
at this point i believe people deserve to be scammed since they wan get sense
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by cooooooks(m): 4:01am On Sep 30, 2022
This is the best advice.

You save a lot of pain by actually graduating with a good grade. One can't do that if one is working 50 hours a week...only for IRCC to deny PGWP due to overworking in the end.

seunpinky:

This is my opinion based on my discussions with some folks that came into as students..
1. You should have your tuition fees for the first year.
2. You can survive (living expenses) on the income you earn while working.
3. You must be ready to hustle real hard, you will do the normal 20 hours a week job and you will also do cash jobs to get extra income.
4. Once the school is on long holiday, you will work for like 80hours a week in other to save up. The money u make during the long break would be used to pay your second year fees.
5. You won't live a luxurious life for these 2 years period. No unnecessary spending, no dates, no fancy phones on credit etc.

N:B: working cash jobs/extra hours during school session is illegal, so u must not be caught.

In summary, ensure that your first year tuition is sorted before u leave Nigeria

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by cooooooks(m): 4:03am On Sep 30, 2022
Check out posts on indeed in Montreal.

Anaya4life:
Please for those who have settled a bit in Canada, ar there prospects for a biochemist.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by cooooooks(m): 4:06am On Sep 30, 2022
If one has enough cash to buy a house in Canada in full, why doesn't one apply for PR though a business/investment pathway.

I believe some parts of BC require $150,000; some Atlantic provinces or cities/regions require $100,000.

PS: Values are 3 years old environ.
lovelygirl4life:
Hello all,

As someone coming to study in Canada..

Can one buy a house? Does it have any long term effect in terms of PR and Citizenship..?

Can one pay cash to buy a house? Does it have to be mortgage..

Thank you

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by cooooooks(m): 4:07am On Sep 30, 2022
Pay is high, especially for heavy duty mechanic. Can also work offshore, oil sands, etc.

canadaishome:

Abeg what about becoming a mechanic?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by tunlex01(m): 9:26am On Sep 30, 2022
ednut1:
two of my friends also landed from Australia this month. Australia pr has not been straight forward since 2019, govt changes policies at will. Express entry scores jumped from 440s to 470s about the same time Australia began hanky panky in april 2019 ( coincidence). They have excluded some occupations, they also are doing regional visa where you have to live in those dead desert zones for 2 or 3 years before you can apply PR. People will always look for better easier alternatives. Canada itself now self no come easy again as scores don enter 500.

Similar stuff here too here in Australia. I have seen a few people move from Canada.
The new government is migrant-favourable and there has been a over 12k PR invites in the last two months.
Hopefully it continues like this

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by canadaishome: 12:05pm On Sep 30, 2022
cooooooks:
Pay is high, especially for heavy duty mechanic. Can also work offshore, oil sands, etc.

Thank you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by canadaishome: 3:08pm On Sep 30, 2022
cooooooks:

I'm leaning more towards a private business
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by cooooooks(m): 8:02pm On Sep 30, 2022
What type? In Canada?

Benefits are flexibility!

Disadvantages are, no work no pay.
canadaishome:

I'm leaning more towards a private business
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by canadaishome: 4:54am On Oct 02, 2022
cooooooks:
What type? In Canada?

Benefits are flexibility!

Disadvantages are, no work no pay.

Ok thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Mr247world: 10:59am On Oct 02, 2022
Good morning all...

Trust we are all doing great!!!

Pls does anyone has idea of any Cargo firm that one can use here in Nigeria to send packages to Alberta (Canada)? If any, I will appreciate a link. Thanks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Laveve: 1:55pm On Oct 02, 2022
Hello fellow Canadians,My family and I will be moving to Canada by year end,using Ethiopian Airline, we are confused of whether there is a maximum traveling bags you can travel with cus we actually planning to get the biggest size travelling bags but not sure if is allowed, I need advice on whether there is a standard for travelling bags.

And Also documents to be presented at the airports as a PR , is Covid vaccine update still required at Nigeria airport since Canada already removed ban for Covid at the point of entry.
Thank you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by maziude: 4:51pm On Oct 02, 2022
Laveve:
Hello fellow Canadians,My family and I will be moving to Canada by year end,using Ethiopian Airline, we are confused of whether there is a maximum traveling bags you can travel with cus we actually planning to get the biggest size travelling bags but not sure if is allowed, I need advice on whether there is a standard for travelling bags.

And Also documents to be presented at the airports as a PR , is Covid vaccine update still required at Nigeria airport since Canada already removed ban for Covid at the point of entry.
Thank you

1. Every airline has a maximum weight for bags. It doesn’t matter the size of the bag, all that matters is the weight.

2. Check with the airline you are using. They will be the best to inform you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Dwebb55: 9:45pm On Oct 02, 2022
maziude:

1. Every airline has a maximum weight for bags. It doesn’t matter the size of the bag, all that matters is the weight.

2. Check with the airline you are using. They will be the best to inform you.

Some airlines actually indicate the sizes of allowed bags but not all. Your best bet is to go on the website of the airline and search for baggage allowance. Everything will be well illustrated there!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by gugu40: 11:01pm On Oct 02, 2022
Hello everyone, please I need help and advice on how to go about my children’s application. I'm a little bit confused about their status here now.
We just moved to Canada as a family. My wife came here as a student (Study Permit) and I was given a Spouse Open Work Permit based on my wife’s status (student). We moved to Canada with our children who were issued study permit based on their mother’s status as a student. They are now in a public elementary school.
My wife just got her Post Graduate Work Permit approved and she is working now, I got my spouse open work permit too, but my children’s study permit will expire in a few months’ time.
There is no information on what to do for my children status, when their study permits expire.
What do I do next for my children?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by godofgidi: 11:35pm On Oct 02, 2022
Hello people,

Travelling to Canada by weekend via PR. Any ideas if covid test is required for boarding? Travelling with children, both adults fully vaccinated.

Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by maziude: 4:16am On Oct 03, 2022
gugu40:
Hello everyone, please I need help and advice on how to go about my children’s application. I'm a little bit confused about their status here now.
We just moved to Canada as a family. My wife came here as a student (Study Permit) and I was given a Spouse Open Work Permit based on my wife’s status (student). We moved to Canada with our children who were issued study permit based on their mother’s status as a student. They are now in a public elementary school.
My wife just got her Post Graduate Work Permit approved and she is working now, I got my spouse open work permit too, but my children’s study permit will expire in a few months’ time.
There is no information on what to do for my children status, when their study permits expire.
What do I do next for my children?

Your answer is here https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/prepare/minor-children.html#find

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by shege45: 4:40am On Oct 03, 2022
godofgidi:
Hello people,

Travelling to Canada by weekend via PR. Any ideas if covid test is required for boarding? Travelling with children, both adults fully vaccinated.

Thanks
I think they ended that stuff october 1st
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by speedworthcargo(m): 7:12am On Oct 03, 2022
Mr247world:
Good morning all...

Trust we are all doing great!!!

Pls does anyone has idea of any Cargo firm that one can use here in Nigeria to send packages to Alberta (Canada)? If any, I will appreciate a link. Thanks.

I’m here for that, you can contact me tru info@speedworthcargo.com or 07034627310
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by tracy0803409: 7:36am On Oct 03, 2022
Good morning Family, trust we are all doing great.

Please am happily married, got my study permit approved together my son, my son(2+ years) and I will be coming over to Canada soon ,resuming for January intake, London, Ontario

Please am looking for Mum with kids that I can pair up with to rent a two bedroom apartment

Please any info will be highly appreciated, Thanks in advance all and have a blessed week

Waiting for your responses Family!!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Fvckwithmeyoukn(f): 7:52am On Oct 03, 2022
Can't wait to leave this shit hole soon.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by MyVc: 12:01pm On Oct 03, 2022
JosephYemsol:
Got a group chat for data analysis/science??

I saw your earlier post about Conestoga College, Canada.

Please, I will like to connect with you. I intend to apply to the school.

Thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by rabola1(f): 11:28am On Oct 04, 2022
No, COVID testing is not required
godofgidi:
Hello people,

Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (607) (608) (609) (610) (611) (612) (613) ... (713) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.