Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,605 members, 7,812,983 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:14 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (671) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2185460 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (668) (669) (670) (671) (672) (673) (674) ... (713) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by onuwaje(m): 2:27am On Sep 12, 2023
njambert:
You did great,except that it seems you messed up on the Reading section.From every indication you can do much better,and the score you had on Reading was just an odd occurrence.I advise you retake it.You'll get that golden score.It'll do so much good to your whole journey.

Thanks does this mean i cannot apply for any program atall?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Enculer2: 2:53am On Sep 12, 2023
njambert:
Thanks for sharing. Did you purchase on Aliexpress of something|? I'm planning to get furniture sets from China and I'm wondering how importing will look like with procedures and taxes.

It will be interesting to see. I imported from Europe. Stuff took about 4 weeks to arrive. I saw some Chinese guys at the Customs also waiting to clear their containers.

For buying furniture, they seem expensive here so we decided to bring our stuff. I would love to see how importing from China is like.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by njambert: 5:50am On Sep 12, 2023
You can,but your chances are lower.Follow the resources pinned on the Express Entry section to find the procedure,or go to Canadian official immigration website to check full info.You can aswell watch this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYrBE5e8sYw

Do your research.Nothing secret about it.

onuwaje:

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Firefox01: 10:19am On Sep 12, 2023
Enculer2:

I should have taken one yesterday. So yesterday we went to customs in Mississauga to sign for our furniture and other belongings that arrived Saturday night in a container. The process was easier than I thought. The good thing is that PR holders do not get to pay for customs duties if they declare their 'goods to follow' so it was a relief for me.

Also I hope you guys use the Canoo app. You get to visit a host of locations free of charge as permanent residents. We have visited the Toronto zoo a couple of times with the whole family and only pay for parking (15 CAD). A visit to the zoo for us family without the app is like 80 CAD or there about.

We will make some dashcams......

Salaam.
PR status sweet o cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AirBay: 11:24am On Sep 12, 2023
Firefox01:
PR status sweet o cheesy

E sweet. I was once on a student and work perm visas in UK, the peace of mind that comes with been a PR grin and looking at your passport within 3years is awesome.

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Enculer2: 1:58pm On Sep 12, 2023
AirBay:

E sweet. I was once on a student and work perm visas in UK, the peace of mind that comes with been a PR grin and looking at your passport within 3years is awesome.

UK work permit thing is a pain in the bollocks.

Imagine what you have to pay for a family of 5. Plus the NHS surtax and all.

You would also have to earn a lot to break even.

When the offer came to go back to the UK I was like, nope, Canada PR here I come.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 3:00pm On Sep 12, 2023
onuwaje:

ielts is not the only determinant. If you qualify for PNP you can use it ( PNP of different provinces have different rules, some require having a relative there, some job offers, some certain occupations etc) . If its express entry its better to max the scores these days to stand any reasonable chance. In 2019 i got ITA with crs scores of 465, today i wont get ITA with that scores unless maybe i got a pnp invite.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 4:02pm On Sep 12, 2023
Firefox01:
Na only Ednut1 dey show us how life take be for Canada with pictures for this thread. Make una dey assist am once in a while na grin
Toronto traffic looking like CMS own 😭

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Firefox01: 4:24pm On Sep 12, 2023
ednut1:
Toronto traffic looking like CMS own 😭
If anybody calls this Lagos, I'll agree cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by onegig(m): 6:43pm On Sep 12, 2023
Pitostab:
I forgot to ask, my school is in Vancouver. I just need an affordable apartment to stay, I don’t mind sharing.

Vancouver shocked Vancouver and affordable don't go together unfortunately.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by onegig(m): 6:51pm On Sep 12, 2023
Firefox01:
Na only Ednut1 dey show us how life take be for Canada with pictures for this thread. Make una dey assist am once in a while na grin
We don't want to break Seun's server that's why everybody dey low key grin

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 9:13pm On Sep 12, 2023
Firefox01:
Na only dey show us how life take be for Canada with pictures for this thread. Make una dey assist am once in a while na grin
inside a bus in Albion, Toronto. On my way to go pick up a laptop from a Facebook market seller.

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Firefox01: 10:25pm On Sep 12, 2023
Viking07:
inside a bus in Albion, Toronto. On my way to go pick up a laptop from a Facebook market seller.
Nice one boss. More of this wink
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Firefox01: 10:25pm On Sep 12, 2023
onegig:
We don't want to break Seun's server that's why everybody dey low key grin
Seun is not complaining abeg grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AirBay: 1:32am On Sep 13, 2023
Calgary Tower from Afar

15 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Enculer2: 2:36am On Sep 13, 2023
Car theft is a serious pandemic in Canada now.

Nigeria is top 3 destination for stolen cars from Canada.

Organised theives steal cars in Canada and sell the cars to Africa and other parts of the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5XJrJTG-BQ?si=0h1XkqiFjZw8d4YF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JUxnzY_IPw?si=P8nvE5ns1f87qfK6

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by onegig(m): 3:46am On Sep 13, 2023
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by buchito1(m): 6:16am On Sep 13, 2023
Firefox01:

A friend of mine did her birthday party in BC.

The local Naija boy in me appear sharply cheesy

Incase anybody dey find suya man for Vancouver, holla at your boy tongue

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Firefox01: 10:02am On Sep 13, 2023
buchito1:

A friend of mine did her birthday party in BC.

The local Naija boy in me appear sharply cheesy

Incase anybody dey find suya man for Vancouver, holla at your boy tongue
You're doing well! God bless you guys. Keep it coming. Visa enquiries have almost taken over this thread when the thread is originally about life and living in Canada. Slowly but surely, we'll get back on track. You sabi grill o grin

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by oty1993: 11:22am On Sep 13, 2023
Hello everyone. Please I need advice. By God's grace, I will be landing in Canada by January with PR under the new Healthcare category but I also want to get some other certifications that will help me in job search. I want to be Agile/Scrum master certified but I'm confused between PMP (Project Management) certification or Business Analysis certification, which one will help me in securing employment in Canada's current job market
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Enculer2: 11:54am On Sep 13, 2023
oty1993:
Hello everyone. Please I need advice. By God's grace, I will be landing in Canada by January with PR under the new Healthcare category but I also want to get some other certifications that will help me in job search. I want to be Agile/Scrum master certified but I'm confused between PMP (Project Management) certification or Business Analysis certification, which one will help me in securing employment in Canada's current job market

I do not know so much about Business Analysis Certification. The advise I can give is that do not let the Certification be the driver. You have to have a clear 5 year plan regarding your career and see of PMP or Business Analysis will be useful during that time.

I know for a certainty that PMP is well considered in Canada. It is expensive but it teaches you plenty of useful concepts. You would of course be expected to have had some background and be ready to apply it at work.

I was preparing for PMP myself and I have some materials I can share if you are interested.

All the best whatever you decide.

Salaam.

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 12:50pm On Sep 13, 2023
Gym life.
7:50am

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 12:47am On Sep 14, 2023
I dey go cut my hair.

Visiting a salon here na by appointment.
Hair cut in Abuja, Nigeria. N1,000

Hair cut in Toronto Canada. $40 = N30,000

If you are skilled in this field you’re a walking goldmine here.

Google “AIP” (seems that is the trending pathway now for japa-ing)

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Firefox01: 7:14am On Sep 14, 2023
Viking07:
I dey go cut my hair.

Google “SINP” (seems that is the trending pathway now for japa-ing)
$40 for haircut? This is wild cheesy
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by goddyog: 9:05am On Sep 14, 2023
Good morning,

Please i am back with my questions again.

Please for someone who studied criminology and graduated 2019 but has been teaching since 2020 and also a fashion designer (the fashion design is not registered) what is the best study route to take?

Again, for money constraint, can if i do a certificate course and get a 1 year work visa, can i still further my school in other to stay back because i dont intend returning back.

For home tie, we have a 2 bedroom bungalow and 2 pieces of land in nasarawa, my wife has a property built by her father in her name. Then families. My work will give me a 1 year study leave. Are these enough for home ties?

Finally, i also intend going with my spouse, will she also get a 1 year spouse work permit? If yes can she go to school immediately i round up my own 1 year course?

Thank you.
slydog:

Good one if Expresss Entry is out of reach for u.
I worked in a bank in Nigeria, my branch manager is here with her family as a student due to age constraints as she don big pass EE.
Just look for schools in cheaper places, avoid Ontario and BC where students now sleep in tents.
Nova scotal and those Atlantic provinces are good, sch is cheap there however due to the influx of students there, the few accommodations is getting expensive now.
Look around Edmonton, there are schs here, I don't know their prices but I fell Edmonton is good. Also look at Saskatchewan, when I landed there last yr, I rented 2bedroom 1 toilet for $975/mnth
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 12:31pm On Sep 14, 2023
Viking07:
I dey go cut my hair.

buy clipper cut am yourself. Go once in a while for shaping 😆.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 2:14pm On Sep 14, 2023
ednut1:
buy clipper cut am yourself. Go once in a while for shaping 😆.
cut am yourself, cut am yourself. na so I go barb myself gorimakpa. I had to wear face cap for 2 weeks. 😁

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 2:44pm On Sep 14, 2023
Viking07:
cut am yourself, cut am yourself. na so I go barb myself gorimakpa. I had to wear face cap for 2 weeks. 😁
😆 number 1 works for low cut lol

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by oty1993: 7:01pm On Sep 14, 2023
Thank you. I don't actually have experience in any of them. I just wanted something that will give me a good chance and career wise, I'm ready to stick with whatever works and build something from it. I know it's not an immediate advancement but a journey and I'm ready to put in work.
Enculer2:

I do not know so much about Business Analysis Certification. The advise I can give is that do not let the Certification be the driver. You have to have a clear 5 year plan regarding your career and see of PMP or Business Analysis will be useful during that time.

I know for a certainty that PMP is well considered in Canada. It is expensive but it teaches you plenty of useful concepts. You would of course be expected to have had some background and be ready to apply it at work.

I was preparing for PMP myself and I have some materials I can share if you are interested.

All the best whatever you decide.

Salaam.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by miolad20(m): 10:10pm On Sep 14, 2023
In Naija, I used to visit the barber every other week as my hair grows fast and I had to always look sharp for work. However, when I got to Canada and saw the cost of a haircut - I learned to trim my hair and beard myself. I only go to the barbershop as needed now. Paying $40-$50 (+tip) regularly is crazy.

Viking07:
I dey go cut my hair.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by fruitartist: 2:49am On Sep 15, 2023
For anyone who needs this?

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 2:53am On Sep 15, 2023
fruitartist:
For anyone who needs this?
Etobicoke na lungu for Toronto. Hence the cheap rent. but still a good deal though. 🙂

(1) (2) (3) ... (668) (669) (670) (671) (672) (673) (674) ... (713) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: JIREN01 and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.