Stats: 3,154,539 members, 7,823,361 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:06 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (674) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2196218 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (671) (672) (673) (674) (675) (676) (677) ... (713) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Kenn55: 12:46pm On Sep 21, 2023
ednut1:
Cant wait to vote this man out in 2025. So much energy for 2slgbtqia zero for economic reforms and interventions 😆

Exactly my brother, I can't wait to vote him out. His time is up. Thank God Canadians are now seeing through his bullshit.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ogbeniwale: 12:49pm On Sep 21, 2023
Good morning guys. Please is it possible for someone to get a Canadian work permit while still in the Naija? Also, like how much can a visit visa holder travel with? The person want japa.
joo2018:
WELCOME TO LIVING IN CANADA/LIFE AS A CANADIAN IMMIGRANT PART TWO

[size=11pt][/size]
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by vikthor74: 1:06pm On Sep 21, 2023
Got married after Student and tourist was approved.

I need a help.
Let me explain. We got married after our visa application was approved. we have all marriage documents, right now she is in Canada schooling. Before she travel we didn't update our marital status because our agent was no where to be found.
I have My visa which is a tourist visa, I will be traveling anytime from now.

So my question are this.

1} can I flagpole even when we didn't update our marital status??

2} if I should update my status before leaving hope it won't complicate issues for my wife??
Because she haven't update her.

3} will my tourist visa be cancelled if I update my marital status??

4} Can I travel after I send IRCC my current status or am I too wait until they update it ??

5) if I send email to IRCC can I delcare on POE that I have a wife in Canada??

6) can my wife update her marital status through her school portal??
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by lanresz(m): 1:35pm On Sep 21, 2023
We can only hope he is voted out. By 2025, he would have been the PM for 10 years. It is time for another party to take over especially one that cares more about the economy and the cost of living.

Kenn55:

Exactly my brother, I can't wait to vote him out. His time is up. Thank God Canadians are now seeing through his bullshit.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ExcellencyFSA: 2:30pm On Sep 21, 2023
Hi everyone.
I will be travelling to Canada very soon on a PR Visa and I am thinking of booking Qatar since it's the cheapest/affordable I can get at the moment. My concern is the layover in the US, I want to be sure if a transit visa will be required or not. Did anyone fly Qatar recently with layover in the US?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 2:36pm On Sep 21, 2023
ExcellencyFSA:
Hi everyone.
I will be travelling to Canada very soon on a PR Visa and I am thinking of booking Qatar since it's the cheapest/affordable I can get at the moment. My concern is the layover in the US, I want to be sure if a transit visa will be required or not. Did anyone fly Qatar recently with layover in the US?
transit visa is required. Try Egypt or Ethiopia

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Enculer2: 3:01pm On Sep 21, 2023
lanresz:
It will take a majority Conservative government to kick him out since NDP will continue to support him. He has to do something really really bad for there to be a vote of no confidence on his government.

It is truly remarkable
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by MayorOfEdmonton: 3:30pm On Sep 21, 2023
vikthor74:
Got married after Student and tourist was approved....

So my question are this.

1} can I flagpole even when we didn't update our marital status??
In my opinion a safer/legitimate option will be for you guys to update your status. You got married after visa approval so nothing to worry about here. It's not like you lied you were single in ur visa applications.

2} if I should update my status before leaving hope it won't complicate issues for my wife??
Because she haven't update her.
She should also update her status, again no issues here as marriage happened after visa approval. Besides she's already there.

3} will my tourist visa be cancelled if I update my marital status??
Being married to someone with study visa is not a prerequisite for tourist visa approval. I don't think they will cancel ur current tourist visa, but IRCC can be unpredictable.

4} Can I travel after I send IRCC my current status or am I too wait until they update it ??
Its advisable IMO to wait for their response, that way you can travel and then apply for spousal open work permit from Canada as a spouse of a student visa. They'd probably approve it faster so you can start working and support her.

5) if I send email to IRCC can I delcare on POE that I have a wife in Canada??
If they ask yes especially as you would have informed IRCC before your travel.

6) can my wife update her marital status through her school portal??
Would the school inform IRCC? Because IRCC need to update her marital status to enable you apply for SOWP.

While you're waiting for your SOWP approval, you can use that time to upskill, get Canadian certifications if it's required in your field.
Whenever the Work permit gets approved, you'd be 'market-ready'.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ExcellencyFSA: 3:51pm On Sep 21, 2023
ednut1:
transit visa is required. Try Egypt or Ethiopia
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by vikthor74: 3:58pm On Sep 21, 2023
MayorOfEdmonton:

While you're waiting for your SOWP approval, you can use that time to upskill, get Canadian certifications if it's required in your field.

Thanks bro for your time
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by tannystacey: 4:00pm On Sep 21, 2023
MayorOfEdmonton:

What does it mean to be market ready?

In my case i already have my Copr (express entry) and i have been applying for jobs. I'm in tech and have over 6 years experience in software qa engineering and 1.5 in data science & analytics , i have several certifications and already have a masters.

But i really could do with any advice as to how to get a job because I've been applying but nothing yet.

I have 6 months before Copr expires and I'm really hoping to get a job before i land. What are my chances? I don't have a Canadian experience tho, so I dunno.

The stories i hear are scary but I'm very optimistic and hopeful.

Pls any suggestions and advice will be much appreciated. Thank you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by JapaPrince: 4:19pm On Sep 21, 2023
Thank you for your valuable advice. I'm pursuing an M.Eng. program in information security, and I have three years of experience in technical support. I would greatly appreciate referrals and tips from individuals who are already in the field I'm aspiring to enter. Montreal offers a wealth of attractions, and I'm open to the idea of settling here permanently, but my next career move will largely dictate my destination. Regarding French language courses, I did attempt them, but it proved challenging to balance between my academic responsibilities and language classes since I'm self-funded.
*I am in the market for a job, I do not mind a lot as the aim is to get my first Canadian job experience *

Enculer2:

You said the most important thing - you did not carry out a thorough research before going to the French-speaking part of Canada. I see that a lot. That said, the world is your oyster with regards to what you want to do next.

[/b]
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 5:30pm On Sep 21, 2023
tannystacey:

In my case i already have my Copr (express entry) and i have been applying for jobs. I'm in tech and have over 6 years experience in software qa engineering and 1.5 in data science & analytics , i have several certifications and already have a masters.

But i really could do with any advice as to how to get a job because I've been applying but nothing yet.

I have 6 months before Copr expires and I'm really hoping to get a job before i land. What are my chances? I don't have a Canadian experience tho, so I dunno.

keep applying till one clicks.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by njambert: 6:46pm On Sep 21, 2023
My wife will be the main homeschooler,and will either not work at all or have a part time remote job like max 20hrs a week.I also had to make a career change so that I have higher chances to WFH so that I'll be with family.

oty1993:
wow. I love that idea. but how are you able to cope? Is your work remote?
my apologies if I'm asking too many questions

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by MayorOfEdmonton: 7:26pm On Sep 21, 2023
tannystacey:

Most employers prefer to hire someone in Canada already especially since you're PR only after your landing formalities.

The competition currently in tech space is fierce, some Indians and Nigerians I've met are do-it-all in tech with relevant certificates, most employers recently do in-person technical interview at dir last recruitment stage too as plenty people lie more than they should on their CVs to look good. On the bright side, you're in a profitable field already- Software QA and Data analysis, perhaps your CV needs fine tuning. If you could find someone in Canada in tech to have a look at ur CV and cover letter even better. People are getting job everyday, so it depends on the news you choose to focus on.

Relevant Canadian certifications- best way is from the job requirements/description. Most tech jobs have certification requirements clearly stated in the job ads, Google careers is big among Canadian employers. Some Canadian certification body(depending on field) also looks good on CV.

LinkedIn is huge in tech....your 'certificate badges' can be easily verified. Connect indiscriminately with people in ur career in Canada. You never know which of ur connections will post a job that's made just for you.

Bottom line, you stand better chance of getting hired when you arrive. Keep trying though as @ednut said, hopefully one works out before you land.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by tannystacey: 10:34pm On Sep 21, 2023
Thank you so much ednut1 and MayorOfEdmonton

I've noted the suggestions and will also reach out to my network of tech pple who are in Canada..
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Enculer2: 10:54pm On Sep 21, 2023
JapaPrince:
Thank you for your valuable advice. I'm pursuing an M.Eng. program in information security, and I have three years of experience in technical support. I would greatly appreciate referrals and tips from individuals who are already in the field I'm aspiring to enter. Montreal offers a wealth of attractions, and I'm open to the idea of settling here permanently, but my next career move will largely dictate my destination. Regarding French language courses, I did attempt them, but it proved challenging to balance between my academic responsibilities and language classes since I'm self-funded.
*I am in the market for a job, I do not mind a lot as the aim is to get my first Canadian job experience *

It will come. Network on LinkedIn. Do not just throw your résumé around. Have your top 5 or your top 10. Save those ones for last.

Try to network with people working in the company first. Take your time.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Chydoo: 3:48am On Sep 22, 2023
tannystacey:

I was in a similar situation with you about four years ago and was able to get a job after COPR and before landing. (four months).
Similar to you, I work in the Tech industry and have some valuable certification and experience.

So I ll tell you what worked for me. Not sure which of them or the combination that worked but the below is what I did while still in Nigeria and after I got my COPR.

1. I got a virtual Canadian number and used it on my CV before landing. I paid for the service. I cannot recall the provider but there are a number of them.

2. I got the Canadian address of my friend who was already residing here and used on my CV after he gave his permission.

3. I updated my resume to a Canadian styled resume. I used one of the free Newly landed settlement services to help with that. SOPA if I recall correctly.

4. I did not limit myself to any province before landing. Anywhere in Canada is okay once you have a good source of income. You can always move later if you choose to. Also you still have an advantage of no ties yet to any province or city until you actually land.

5. I used the short form of m first name (I only have native names) on my CV instead of my full-time. I imagined putting myself in the shoes of the recruiter.
Some people say it means one is not proud of his or her name but I don't care. Sam and Samuel is the same.

As I said, not sure which of them helped or the combination but this worked for me. That's not without saying its all by the Grace of God.
Wishing you the best.

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by amdman: 3:54am On Sep 22, 2023
You can now ship to your door in Southern Ontario at the lowest prices:

Free delivery to Ajax, Bowmanville, Brampton, Brantford, Burlington, Cambridge, Hamilton, Kitchener, London, Milton, Mississauga, Oakville, Oshawa, Pickering, Toronto, Waterloo, Woodstock

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by RubyOgex(f): 5:34pm On Sep 22, 2023
Hi guys. please i. want to enquire something.
A frnd sent me money from Canada through Ria customer care cox his app was having issues, but he discovered that he could either exchange in USD or Naira, he can't send CAD to Nigeria.. I was worried cox i didn't know about it but he ended up sending. I want to ask if it's true guys that CAD can't be sent without exchanging. Now he wants to send again and i told him to try sendwave app, he did and only saw USD and NGN only, does it mean CAD can't be sent to Nigeria? and if it's so, which transfer app has lower exchange rate from CAD to USD? PLEASE HELP
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Voltron007(m): 6:06pm On Sep 22, 2023
RubyOgex:
A frnd sent me money from Canada through Ria customer care cox his app was having issues, but he discovered that he could either exchange in USD or Naira, he can't send CAD to Nigeria.. I was worried cox i didn't know about it but he ended up sending. I want to ask if it's true guys that CAD can't be sent without exchanging. Now he wants to send again and i told him to try sendwave app, he did and only saw USD and NGN only, does it mean CAD can't be sent to Nigeria? and if it's so, which transfer app has lower exchange rate from CAD to USD? PLEASE HELP
I use LemFi.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 6:07pm On Sep 22, 2023
RubyOgex:
CAD is not a major foreign currency in Nigeria so its true. He can use LEMFI . You will get d naira equivalent directly to your account.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by RubyOgex(f): 6:20pm On Sep 22, 2023
Okay, the naira equivalent is poor for Ria, 100CAD for 59k naira.. I think it's better to send in USD and i exchange it, but which transfer app has good exchange rate of CAD to USD?
ednut1:
CAD is not a major foreign currency in Nigeria so its true. He can use LEMFI . You will get d naira equivalent directly to your account.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by RubyOgex(f): 6:22pm On Sep 22, 2023
for example, what is the equivalent of 100CAD in LEMFI, Let me know
ednut1:
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Voltron007(m): 6:24pm On Sep 22, 2023
$100=72900 Naira. LemFi.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by buchito1(m): 1:12am On Sep 23, 2023
Voltron007:
$100=72900 Naira. LemFi.

It’s done! Naija is finished!!!cry

Tinubu has destroyed everything Buhari scattered cry

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Enculer2: 6:19am On Sep 23, 2023
buchito1:

It's game over in that regard!

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Taal17: 6:49am On Sep 23, 2023
[quote author=buchito1 post=125963940]

Tinubu has destroyed everything Buhari scattered cry[/quot
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by NuCypher: 2:36pm On Sep 23, 2023
buchito1:

Crazy when I remember this was only 270,000 when I came to Canada and I still thought it was too much then.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AirBay: 5:11pm On Sep 23, 2023
NuCypher:

Crazy when I remember this was only 270,000 when I came to Canada and I still thought it was too much then.

Extremely crazy when I thought 380, 000 was exorbitant when I landed, almost doubled now.

(1) (2) (3) ... (671) (672) (673) (674) (675) (676) (677) ... (713) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68