Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,955 members, 7,817,801 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:58 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (681) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2190456 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (678) (679) (680) (681) (682) (683) (684) ... (713) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Tricia14: 5:00pm On Oct 12, 2023
A14:

Tbh, I don’t think so

Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Tricia14: 5:00pm On Oct 12, 2023
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Tricia14: 5:03pm On Oct 12, 2023
halaqasa:

But tbvh , that age 🥲with respect to her gender 🥲🥲

If the said person is in health sector ( nurse, health assistant..... ) she might get a shot.
a teacher
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Tricia14: 5:10pm On Oct 12, 2023
JapaPrince:

Students have group insurance, we pay Blue Cross about 1,400 every academic year, and schools have clinics too. All this is included in our student fees, but to get dental, you have to opt for extra coverage. ( more cash )
Also for PhD student?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by UnconventionalT: 6:47pm On Oct 12, 2023
AirBay:

Join Calgary Newcomers group

I wish to join the group pls, how do I do that?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by UnconventionalT: 6:47pm On Oct 12, 2023
DereI:
Coming to Calgary mid October and seeking accommodation? Dm me.
I have sent a DM, I'll be awaiting your response
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Enculer2: 10:37pm On Oct 12, 2023
leopardinatree:

Thank you so much. Very detailed and very encouraging. I just updated my scores. Step by step like you said. I have gotten the much needed advice from those on ground, as for my other questions I will take to the main EE thread.
God bless you.

I thought I should share some experience if it will help you or others as per "la Francophonie".

We received the newcomers help with settling to life in Canada and in addition, received special services through a link provided by the French school our kids attend. So the list services are similar to the ones provided by ACCESS, YMCA, etc., only this time it is mainly aimed at Francophones and it is quite detailed if I am honest. So in effect, you will be getting double support like we did.

With regards to school, our kids attend a French catholic school. It is a nice French community. Your kids can also start with a French immersion school and navigate to an all French school in future. We found registering the kids for French schools extra easy as they want to take care of the Francophones. Plenty of support for francophones.

With respect to jobs, I can categorically tell you that there are jobs in Ontario that require bilingual people.

Ontario is expensive, granted but as a bilingual, you want to be either in Quebec or Ontario. Opportunities abound. Just ask.

Cheers

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by tenderjunkie: 3:42am On Oct 13, 2023
dataking:

Yes, try wakanow or check airline websites

Sure Plug for UK Care Jobs as a Care Assistant, get Tier 2 (5 Yrs Visa) Sponsorship to live & work in the UK. Visa for the whole family. Call me if interested 08033sixone7four8nine
You people have come again oo
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by kingsoncj: 4:26am On Oct 13, 2023
Hello,

I applied for my work permit before arriving Montreal, Québec. Since my arrival, what other steps can I take to receive my work permit?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Maria96: 8:30am On Oct 13, 2023
kingsoncj:
Hello,

I applied for my work permit before arriving Montreal, Québec. Since my arrival, what other steps can I take to receive my work permit?
what visa are you on currently? Have you contacted Quebec immigration?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by kingsoncj: 11:40am On Oct 13, 2023
Maria96:
what visa are you on currently? Have you contacted Quebec immigration?

I am on SX-1 visa.

How can I contact them, any link could help.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Maria96: 1:04pm On Oct 13, 2023
kingsoncj:

I am on SX-1 visa.

How can I contact them, any link could help.
the same website you applied to. Check contact details there
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Teau: 2:42pm On Oct 13, 2023
Hello House, please whats the process of getting police character certificate now from Naija if person dey Canada. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Chizobabasilia1: 4:29pm On Oct 13, 2023
Please, I would like to have your mail for more details. Thanks
Kyrie2018:
Just to clarify about Lakehead university.

*Most universities who offer the accelerated BSN will require you pass the prerequisites as part of their application criteria. For these schools the program would normally run for 2 years.

*Lakehead university offers the prerequisites as part of your first year course, including some other core nursing courses. So, you do not need to write the prerequisites before applying. And the accelerated BSN program is 3years (or 2yrs 8months if you count it that way). I think this is fair because if you include the time you need to study for and write the prerequisites before applying to those schools that run the program for 2 years then it adds up.

*To get exemption for the prerequisites, you need to submit your course description from your previous studies. I submitted this and got exemption for statistics. I know someone who got exemption for psychology too. So, in first year I took psychology, anatomy and physiology plus other nursing courses.

* Also, in Lakehead university clinical placement starts from year one whether you're doing the 4yrs degree or accelerated degree. I don't know what is obtainable in other schools.

*The accelerated degree program in Lakehead university is quite intensive. Be ready to STUDY. A lot of students are able to work while going to school, you just have to know your own capabilities and decide how many hours you can sacrifice for work. Also, after your first year you are qualified to work as a PSW ($20.68/hr where I worked).
* About the 10 years timeline, I'm not sure what the conditions are in Lakehead university. But I finished my first degree over 10 years ago and was able to get admission.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Chizobabasilia1: 4:30pm On Oct 13, 2023
This is mine chizobabasilia@gmail.com
Kyrie2018:
Just to clarify about Lakehead university.

*Most universities who offer the accelerated BSN will require you pass the prerequisites as part of their application criteria. For these schools the program would normally run for 2 years.

*Lakehead university offers the prerequisites as part of your first year course, including some other core nursing courses. So, you do not need to write the prerequisites before applying. And the accelerated BSN program is 3years (or 2yrs 8months if you count it that way). I think this is fair because if you include the time you need to study for and write the prerequisites before applying to those schools that run the program for 2 years then it adds up.

*To get exemption for the prerequisites, you need to submit your course description from your previous studies. I submitted this and got exemption for statistics. I know someone who got exemption for psychology too. So, in first year I took psychology, anatomy and physiology plus other nursing courses.

* Also, in Lakehead university clinical placement starts from year one whether you're doing the 4yrs degree or accelerated degree. I don't know what is obtainable in other schools.

*The accelerated degree program in Lakehead university is quite intensive. Be ready to STUDY. A lot of students are able to work while going to school, you just have to know your own capabilities and decide how many hours you can sacrifice for work. Also, after your first year you are qualified to work as a PSW ($20.68/hr where I worked).
* About the 10 years timeline, I'm not sure what the conditions are in Lakehead university. But I finished my first degree over 10 years ago and was able to get admission.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by phabulous88(m): 10:58pm On Oct 13, 2023
Teau:
Hello House, please whats the process of getting police character certificate now from Naija if person dey Canada. Thanks

https://possap.gov.ng/

Register
Select a Service (Police Character Certificate)
Provide your details and choose ‘Diaspora’ under Request location.
Pay the fees

You’ll be sent a form to thumb print and your PCC should be out in a week

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Teau: 12:27am On Oct 14, 2023
Thank you.

phabulous88:

https://possap.gov.ng/

Register
Select a Service (Police Character Certificate)
Provide your details and choose ‘Diaspora’ under Request location.
Pay the fees

You’ll be sent a form to thumb print and your PCC should be out in a week

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Jhigan(m): 12:44pm On Oct 14, 2023
Donchibuzor:
pls how authentic is this, because I feel its scam. a friend forwarded to me. just to make enquiries on his behalf. Although no money lost yet. so he can run as far as his legs can carry him.

Its fake brother.
First, the fonts are not the same, they did copy and paste in some lines. I'm able to know that encaustic I once took a course in cyber fraud, as a Web developer.

Secondly, non proper use of punctuation marks.

Thirdly, there is something they taught us when I took a cyber fraud course online. If you want to detect a fake letter, put yourself as an African in the position of writing it. When you do so, you'll notice this is a set up of the way Nigerian would write a letter. If it was written by your Nigerian agent processing, then all good.

But, do more investigation about it. For me, I can see fake written all over it, and again, I might be wrong also.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Jhigan(m): 12:56pm On Oct 14, 2023
Enculer2:

I thought I should share some experience if it will help you or others as per "la Francophonie".

We received the newcomers help with settling to life in Canada and in addition, received special services through a link provided by the French school our kids attend. So the list services are similar to the ones provided by ACCESS, YMCA, etc., only this time it is mainly aimed at Francophones and it is quite detailed if I am honest. So in effect, you will be getting double support like we did.

With regards to school, our kids attend a French catholic school. It is a nice French community. Your kids can also start with a French immersion school and navigate to an all French school in future. We found registering the kids for French schools extra easy as they want to take care of the Francophones. Plenty of support for francophones.

With respect to jobs, I can categorically tell you that there are jobs in Ontario that require bilingual people.

Ontario is expensive, granted but as a bilingual, you want to be either in Quebec or Ontario. Opportunities abound. Just ask

Cheers

I have a question similar to that too.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Jhigan(m): 12:59pm On Oct 14, 2023
Enculer2:

Ontario is expensive, granted but as a bilingual, you want to be either in Quebec or Ontario. Opportunities abound. Just ask.

Cheers

Thank you for this, I found lots of advise in this your reply to the person that asked the question.
I've been thinking of how to go about it. I'm a Web developer . I'm engaged(due to be married soon). She's 31, and she studied Medicine in Morocco for 8 years in French, so she's very fluent in speaking French. Myself on the hand, zero French(except for few j'emapelle, c'est bonn...lol 😃). And I'm a Web developer.
I initially thought with good scores in Ielts and TEF(for her), we can get good crs score in EE. But the POF is the issue, so, I'm looking forward to Arrima since that's a low POF that we can afford.
I wanted to ask initially if I should just focus on the Arrima, or still push myself to get the POF for EE? The reason is because I don't speak French, and I don't know how I'm going to survive in Quebec that way.
Your advise as a French speaker resident in Canada will go a long way for me pls.
And from others too. Please.

PS: I can actually learn French

[/quote]
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by NuCypher: 1:26pm On Oct 14, 2023
Jhigan:

Thank you for this, I found lots of advise in this your reply to the person that asked the question.
I've been thinking of how to go about it. I'm a Web developer . I'm engaged(due to be married soon). She's 31, and she studied Medicine in Morocco for 8 years in French, so she's very fluent in speaking French. Myself on the hand, zero French(except for few j'emapelle, c'est bonn...lol 😃). And I'm a Web developer.
I initially thought with good scores in Ielts and TEF(for her), we can get good crs score in EE. But the POF is the issue, so, I'm looking forward to Arrima since that's a low POF that we can afford.
I wanted to ask initially if I should just focus on the Arrima, or still push myself to get the POF for EE? The reason is because I don't speak French, and I don't know how I'm going to survive in Quebec that way.
Your advise as a French speaker resident in Canada will go a long way for me pls.
And from others too. Please.

PS: I can actually learn French

If you are web developer, why not look into Ontario PNP tech. You seem like an ideal candidate

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Venom104: 6:22pm On Oct 14, 2023
Jhigan:

Thirdly, there is something they taught us when I took a cyber fraud course online. If you want to detect a fake letter, put yourself as an African in the position of writing it. When you do so, you'll notice this is a set up of the way Nigerian would write a letter. If it was written by your Nigerian agent processing, then all good.

Wow. Taught in Canada? Or where?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by NuCypher: 8:18pm On Oct 14, 2023
Venom104:

Wow. Taught in Canada? Or where?
Isn't that just unwarranted discrimination? Is it only Africans who write such letters? More internet fraud is likely even perpetrated in Russia and India than in Africa.

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Jhigan(m): 9:55pm On Oct 14, 2023
NuCypher:

Isn't that just unwarranted discrimination? Is it only Africans who write such letters? More internet fraud is likely even perpetrated in Russia and India than in Africa.

The African setting was used as an example for me, being an African. Not because they feel only Africans perpetrate cyber fraud.

Of course you're right, Indians are far worse right now, when it comes to cyber fraud.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by oluayebenz: 10:38pm On Oct 14, 2023
NuCypher:

You are right o.
Pakistan shouldn't be left out

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Afrikanunikorn(f): 11:00pm On Oct 14, 2023
Good evening sirs and ma’s
I dropped a message earlier but it was unattended
I’m new to Mississauga and looking for fellow Nigerians around
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Voltron007(m): 11:06pm On Oct 14, 2023
Afrikanunikorn:
Good evening sirs and ma’s
I dropped a message earlier but it was unattended
I’m new to Mississauga and looking for fellow Nigerians around
How much is rent in that area Biko? Etobikocoke wan choke person.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by seniorboy1(m): 12:45am On Oct 15, 2023
Hello Everyone,

I'm writing to seek guidance and advice based on practical experiences in Canada.

While I await the possibility of receiving an ITA with a score of 480 or below, I'm using this time to plan for my future career in Canada.

My academic background is in IT, but I've been working in HR and hold certifications such as SHRM-SCP. I understand that transferring HR skills might be challenging due to cultural and legislative differences. Therefore, I'm considering a shift to IT (or management consulting) to better prepare for the Canadian job market.

I'm contemplating a deep dive into backend engineering due to my interest in Object-Oriented Programming. Alternatively, I'm also considering data science and analytics because of my proficiency in tools like MS Excel, a bit of SQL, Power BI, and Looker Studio, which I've used extensively in HR Analytics and Payroll.

I would greatly appreciate your advice and insights based on your own experiences in Canada. Which path—HR/Management Consulting, or IT—do you believe offers a wider range of opportunities, despite the competitive landscape? I visited Indeed to look at the figures, but real experiences would help also.

Thank you for your time and consideration.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by slydog(m): 4:02am On Oct 15, 2023
Old Gs in the house, I'm looking for business ideas in Canada, specializing in Alberta.
I realize business is the main thing to do. Any ideas pls

(1) (2) (3) ... (678) (679) (680) (681) (682) (683) (684) ... (713) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.