Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,733 members, 7,817,017 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:03 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (700) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2189620 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (697) (698) (699) (700) (701) (702) (703) ... (713) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Gerrard59(m): 3:28pm On Jan 27
tensazangetsu20:

Omho I can't advise anyone to go do an undergraduate degree abroad. If you must do it, have the whole 4 to 5 years tuition and living expenses or go school in countries that don't have any tuition like Argentina and Brazil. Paying big school fees for 4 to 5 years no be beans o.

Future folks should start learning Spanish and Portuguese from their mothers' wombs. grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Karleb(m): 3:36pm On Jan 27
Gerrard59:

Future folks should start learning Spanish and Portuguese from their mothers' wombs. grin

It's easier to learn those languages than to earn in this declining naira to pay school fees in pounds or dollar.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Gerrard59(m): 3:44pm On Jan 27
Karleb:

It's easier to learn those languages than to earn in this declining naira to pay school fees in pounds or dollar.

The truth be say, if the country's economy was like that of 2012, many people wouldn't have bothered to relocate. The insecurity has worsened terribly. But then sha, they said people are making money in Nigeria, which I agree with. But how are they enjoying it amidst the insecurity is where I am confused.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Karleb(m): 3:58pm On Jan 27
Gerrard59:

The truth be say, if the country's economy was like that of 2012, many people wouldn't have bothered to relocate. The insecurity has worsened terribly. But then sha, they said people are making money in Nigeria, which I agree with. But how are they enjoying it amidst the insecurity is where I am confused.

Nigerians just have this affluence mentality.

Trust me, only very few are enjoying including the rich.

For the rich, the problem is not what to eat or wear but imagine people that have children in UK paying double the school fees they paid 8 months ago.

Is that not enough to make one run mad?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AirBay: 4:10pm On Jan 27
thesailorman:
Morning all pls recommend a good bank with incentives for new comers. TD gives $1,500 CC. Any other suggestions are welcome. Thank you

If you are unsure about where to keep your money, I highly recommend starting with Simplii for 6% promotional interest rate for 5 months!

Use my referral link https://blue.mbsy.co/6CJTBW and get $50 when you fund the accounts with at least $100.

You can also earn sweet $400 by opening a chequing account and making it your salary account. All details on the page linked above.

All the best! 💥💥
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Doraehi(f): 4:36pm On Jan 27
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by NuCypher: 6:09pm On Jan 27
ednut1:
study for your bsc Nigeria and do your masters abroad. Your parents can start saving in USD for that. Alot of people today are embarking on abroad study when they or their parents can’t afford it. Economy is also not smiling and many are unable to work and gather their tuition.
See examples below. Bewise
These are all mostly just soft life Nigerian ladies who can't work as international students while paying their fees. Hard-working Nigerian men and women who are students are not doing this rubbish. The only people doing it are the nail-painting, Maldives-vacationing, soft life women who won't dare to go wait tables to make up their tution fees. They then go to gofundme and start requesting for tens of thousands of pounds, most of which will not go directly to the tuition, but to maintaining their soft life. If they can't work as student, they should return back home to Nigeria. Or didn't they prove to the embassy that they could totally fund their studies abroad? This gofundme is turning gradually into a pandemic and should be curbed quickly at this early stages by simply ignoring these women.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by NuCypher: 6:19pm On Jan 27
AirBay:

If you are unsure about where to keep your money, I highly recommend starting with Simplii for 6% promotional interest rate for 5 months!

Use my referral link https://blue.mbsy.co/6CJTBW and get $50 when you fund the accounts with at least $100.

You can also earn sweet $400 by opening a chequing account and making it your salary account. All details on the page linked above.

All the best! 💥💥
High time many newcomers to Canada start seeing the value offered by online banks like Tangerine, Simplii, etc, who don't charge monthly banking fees, offer attractive interest rates, while still being insured by the CDIC like any other brick and mortar bank.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 7:05pm On Jan 27
NuCypher:

These are all mostly just soft life Nigerian ladies who can't work as international students while paying their fees. Hard-working Nigerian men and women who are students are not doing this rubbish. The only people doing it are the nail-painting, Maldives-vacationing, soft life women who won't dare to go wait tables to make up their tution fees. They then go to gofundme and start requesting for tens of thousands of pounds, most of which will not go directly to the tuition, but to maintaining their soft life. If they can't work as student, they should return back home to Nigeria. Or didn't they prove to the embassy that they could totally fund their studies abroad? This gofundme is turning gradually into a pandemic and should be curbed quickly at this early stages by simply ignoring these women.
its true some of them are softlife babes ( someone posted a tiktok of the Bukola babe going on vacation to Ireland in December 🤣) . But some hard life /hustlers in UK and Canada have had their student visa revoked for not meeting up with the tuition . E no easy these days.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by House34: 10:08pm On Jan 27
NuCypher:

I believe the era of working and studying to pay fees and living expenses without external financial support is not currently feasible in Canada. Given the current challenges in finding jobs for newcomers and the high cost of living, only very few students manage to secure jobs, while residents and citizens also face difficulties in finding or changing jobs

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by NuCypher: 10:31pm On Jan 27
House34:

I believe the era of working and studying to pay fees and living expenses without external financial support is not currently feasible in Canada. Given the current challenges in finding jobs for newcomers and the high cost of living, only very few students manage to secure jobs, while residents and citizens also face difficulties in finding or changing jobs
Let's face it, there's really no time when that was recommended action. Anyone headed to Canada or any advanced nation for that matter, thinking that they could study and work at the same time to exclusively fund their studies are in for a rude shock. That's the exact reason you must state to the embassy that you have your proof of funds. Even the embassy don't want you working to fund your studies. The only thing working while studying should do for you is earn you enough money to complement what you already have. And you must have enough already. Coming to Canada or anywhere else to pay tuition fees in the range of tens of thousands of dollars, while catering for living expenses in the same range of tens of thousands of dollars, and hoping that working will take care of all of that, is just suicide in waiting.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Gerrard59(m): 1:05pm On Jan 28
Karleb:

Nigerians just have this affluence mentality.

Trust me, only very few are enjoying including the rich.

For the rich, the problem is not what to eat or wear but imagine people that have children in UK paying double the school fees they paid 8 months ago.

Is that not enough to make one run mad?

As a counterpoint, there are good private universities in the country, which in my opinion, should measure up based on undergraduate studies with certain schools in the UK EXCEPT the elite universities. The US is very different, so na there I go understand the pains. But better Covenant than Durham, then do MBA or MSc at Oxbridge or Imperial. However, going forward, any rich person wey no get another passport, preferably the one which has good universities that the children can attend at citizens' tuition rates never start.

My concern about the insecurity is when compared to Ghanaian elites who can drive through their country without fear, the Nigerian wealthy class cannot do the same. Some of them cannot even visit their villages or even visit the nearby state without carrying armed security join body. They are just stuck in their gated compounds.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Karleb(m): 4:06pm On Jan 28
Gerrard59:

As a counterpoint, there are good private universities in the country, which in my opinion, should measure up based on undergraduate studies with certain schools in the UK EXCEPT the elite universities. The US is very different, so na there I go understand the pains. But better Covenant than Durham, then do MBA or MSc at Oxbridge or Imperial. However, going forward, any rich person wey no get another passport, preferably the one which has good universities that the children can attend at citizens' tuition rates never start.

My concern about the insecurity is when compared to Ghanaian elites who can drive through their country without fear, the Nigerian wealthy class cannot do the same. Some of them cannot even visit their villages or even visit the nearby state without carrying armed security join body. They are just stuck in their gated compounds.

Until those private institutions become a path to citizenship in UK, Nigerians will continue to travel to UK for study.

As for our elites, majority are dumb. Look at Wole Soyinka for instance.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Gerrard59(m): 4:11pm On Jan 28
Karleb:

Until those private institutions become a path to citizenship in UK, Nigerians will continue to travel to UK for study.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin I understand. Even Tayo Aina, the YouTuber don buy passport.

As for our elites, majority are dumb. Look at Wole Soyinka for instance.

When I say I don't rate our elites, it cuts across all ethnic groups and walks of life. So, whether politics or business or clergy, I don't rate them. They are so unintelligent! ALL OF THEM! Wetin I don see for so far, I detest them! I am probably sure I will get more angrier when I enter China, Hong Kong and even Malaysia. An acquaintance went to Vietnam for a scientific conference and was shocked there was constant electricity. The universities he said were performing research our federal universities haven't done. This is someone who attended a first generation university for both BSc and MSc and had a very high CGPA.

Nigerian elites are worthless!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Karleb(m): 4:42pm On Jan 28
Gerrard59:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin I understand. Even Tayo Aina, the YouTuber don buy passport.

When I say I don't rate our elites, it cuts across all ethnic groups and walks of life. So, whether politics or business or clergy, I don't rate them. They are so unintelligent! ALL OF THEM! Wetin I don see for so far, I detest them! I am probably sure I will get more angrier when I enter China, Hong Kong and even Malaysia. An acquaintance went to Vietnam for a scientific conference and was shocked there was constant electricity. The universities he said were performing research our federal universities haven't done. This is someone who attended a first generation university for both BSc and MSc and had a very high CGPA.

Nigerian elites are worthless!

I'm even more particular about the yoruba elites.

Ologundudu for example is a famous activist poet in the early 2000s.

Baba would call out Obasanjo, he even composed a song for a certain Lukman Ajose in which he called him Ole (thief).

But during the last election, baba was hyperventilating and calling for all yoruba to unite and support Tinubu! shocked

I mean, these people are the bedrock of our culture as at this present, they are supposed to be ones to tell us what an Omoluabi should be and how s/he should behave but it's this same people blackmailing us to vote for an obvious incompetent aspirant.

It's like leading your family to take poison prepared by your brother because you don't want next door neighbor to make sales.

It really hurts when I think deeply about it.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Sam2305: 9:32pm On Jan 29
Hello seniors,

Pls how is life in new Brunswick when it comes to getting job especially for spouse that has been branch operations banker for 5 years on SOWP while wife,the student attends uni of New Brunswick.

Thanks alot
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Voltron007(m): 11:59pm On Jan 30
AirBay:

All the best! 💥💥
I think I’ll give this a trial. CIBC wan kee son of man. And my salary goes there every 2’weeks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AirBay: 12:23am On Jan 31
Voltron007:
I think I’ll give this a trial. CIBC wan kee son of man. And my salary goes there every 2’weeks.

Yes o. Use my referral link abeg.make I see something drink beer
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by NuCypher: 3:44am On Jan 31
Voltron007:
Simplii is still part of CIBC😁
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by NuCypher: 3:55am On Jan 31
Sam2305:
Hello seniors,

Pls how is life in new Brunswick when it comes to getting job especially for spouse that has been branch operations banker for 5 years on SOWP while wife,the student attends uni of New Brunswick.

Thanks alot
This is a question that is too specific. Nobody can have an answer for you. I'm recommend you go online and do your own personal research. Generally, Canada has good opportunities for bankers. Don't just expect to start at the same level that you were in Nigeria. The opportunities thin terribly as you go up in Canadian banks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by yBNL1(m): 8:27am On Jan 31
AirBay:

All the best! 💥💥
Can students benefit from this?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Afrikanunikorn(f): 12:19pm On Jan 31
BFWestAfrican:
Hi, I'm in a locks WhatsApp group where tips are shared. Chat up the admin to be added 2895oo1275. But you'll need to introduce yourself as soon as you become a member.

Thank you!!!! ☺️
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Pearlypinky: 2:26pm On Jan 31
Guys please I need help

I have an msc degree, I'm 31, I don't have blood relative in canada but I know people in canada, I work in tech (I'm a Cloud DevOps Engineer AWS and AZURE), I have over 3 years work experience in Nigeria and I'm planning to write IELTS General soon.

Kindly advice with the best Canada PR route I should take. Also, when it comes to WES evaluation for me to get into the PR pool, will I do WES for my undergraduate degree? Or WES for my masters degree? Or both?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AirBay: 2:56pm On Jan 31
yBNL1:

Can students benefit from this?

Yes. Everyone
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Maydaygirl: 5:01pm On Jan 31
Sam2305:
Hello seniors,

Thanks alot

Go online and search for Jobs in New Brunswick. This will give an idea of the type of roles 'in demand'. Don't forget to also search by cities/communities. You can go to the career page of Canadian banks to get familiar with their roles, then tailor your resume to suit that.

Also, when you go to any of the banks to open an account, you can ask the staff attending to you if there's a job vacancy. Don't forget to be polite and friendly.

All the best.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Maydaygirl: 5:02pm On Jan 31
Pearlypinky:
Guys please I need help

I have an msc degree, I'm 31, I don't have blood relative in canada but I know people in canada, I work in tech (I'm a Cloud DevOps Engineer AWS and AZURE), I have over 3 years work experience in Nigeria and I'm planning to write IELTS General soon.

Kindly advice with the best Canada PR route I should take. Also, when it comes to WES evaluation for me to get into the PR pool, will I do WES for my undergraduate degree? Or WES for my masters degree? Or both?

Only your Masters degree.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by MayorOfEdmonton: 5:08pm On Jan 31
All the best in your IELTS.
WES for only MSc.(highest degree)

Since you have experience in tech, you may have slightly higher chance IF IRCC continue their dedicated tech/STEM category invitations this year as the CRS score is lower, make sure the NOC you choose is one of the listed though.

Are you a single male/female? You could explore starting a SERIOUS relationship with one of the people you know in Canada if they are single too & PR/Citizen😁, let time & the ‘heart’ do the rest before you know it you’d be so in love he/she will rush to Nigeria to marry you. Canada can be lonely for single folks & most Nigerian will rather avoid western marital dramas. Just kidding but it’s an option😉😊
All the best

Pearlypinky:
Guys please I need help

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Jozi2023: 6:36pm On Jan 31
Good day everyone,
Please is there any medical laboratory scientist from Nigeria that resides in canada and have gotten their ontario licence? Please I need a reply and you can PM me
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Jadue(f): 10:41pm On Jan 31
Emmasonic4me:

I see. I actually have some experience from Nigeria in that job role and currently studying Actuarial Mathematics at Concordia University, Montreal, hence my curiosity. Thanks for clarifying.
Hello please I got admission for concordia May intake and I would need your assistance on how to go about my visa application
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by eddycross(m): 11:57pm On Jan 31
MayorOfEdmonton:
All the best in your IELTS.
WES for only MSc.(highest degree)

Since you have experience in tech, you may have slightly higher chance IF IRCC continue their dedicated tech/STEM category invitations this year as the CRS score is lower, make sure the NOC you choose is one of the listed though.

Are you a single male/female? You could explore starting a SERIOUS relationship with one of the people you know in Canada if they are single too & PR/Citizen😁, let time & the ‘heart’ do the rest before you know it you’d be so in love he/she will rush to Nigeria to marry you. Canada can be lonely for single folks & most Nigerian will rather avoid western marital dramas. Just kidding but it’s an option😉😊
All the best

Regarding the highlighted text above - I wonder why more folks aren't doing this. With the number of people here in Canada, this might be the most viable way in.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 12:01am On Feb 01
eddycross:

Regarding the highlighted text above - I wonder why more folks aren't doing this. With the number of people here in Canada, this might be the most viable way in.
many people are not open to dating someone in Nigeria because of the fear of being used for papers or money. Some have embraced common law relationship without marriage. Some are not interested in commitment, some are holding on to their standards. Some are already marrying who they met in Canada too 😁

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (697) (698) (699) (700) (701) (702) (703) ... (713) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: studycenter and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.