Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,875 members, 7,810,333 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:16 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (708) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2183462 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (705) (706) (707) (708) (709) (710) (711) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by jayF19: 1:46am On Mar 21
GraciousWords:

Take new photos and send by courier to the address given, don't forget to include the IRCC letter requesting updated photos in the same envelope as photos.
Thank you!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by SisterDeborah: 8:12am On Mar 21
Jaygirl20:

Pm me

Please can I be added to the Edmonton group?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Comfort0626: 1:22pm On Mar 21
Ramj:

Yes bro - I am still NorthWest Territories Bound (Yellowknife our Capital) not Nunavut.

Je m'appelle NWT

Hello , how are you, please are you still in the NWT , I will be moving there soon, I want to connect with Nigerians there
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Badadvisor: 9:45pm On Mar 21
Voltron007:
For your housing/accommodation/rental needs in and around Toronto, Ontario . I am just a phone call away.

Minimum rent available starts from $550 for an open space and $975 for a single room.

Let me know what you need with your budget & I’ll respond as soon as possible. ✌️
Hi bro are you still involved in this business?
I'll like to get a a studio apartment or a one bed immediately I'm arriving in Canada because I'm on budget and I don't want to waste what i have on hotel or air bnb
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by tonyblac: 11:37pm On Mar 21
I have an accommodation for you.. text me @07054001429

Badadvisor:

Hi bro are you still involved in this business?
I'll like to get a a studio apartment or a one bed immediately I'm arriving in Canada because I'm on budget and I don't want to waste what i have on hotel or air bnb
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Maydaygirl: 2:40am On Mar 22
Comfort0626:

Hello , how are you, please are you still in the NWT , I will be moving there soon, I want to connect with Nigerians there

Send an email to elizdotbensalematgmaildotcom
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Badadvisor: 5:13am On Mar 22
tonyblac:
I have an accommodation for you.. text me @07054001429

Location please and price before i hit you up if it's okay with me
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Comfort0626: 8:45am On Mar 22
Maydaygirl:

Hello please the email is invalid

Can you please retype it as I am unable to send emails
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Comfort0626: 1:17pm On Mar 22
Maydaygirl:

Please the email is saying invalid
Can you please retype it or send it to

Adebanjocomfort925@gmail.com
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by SisterDeborah: 1:57pm On Mar 22
SisterDeborah:

Okay, I have. Thank you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by njambert: 4:25pm On Mar 22
No such thing called global warming. It's called El Nino. Also learn about climate cycles. Weather is cyclical in nature.

megastu:
Global warming.

This year has been the warmest in decades. Newcomers will be like "no be the Canada be this. lol".
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Chilexeve: 9:46pm On Mar 22
Hello,

Please, I'll be arriving Winnipeg, Manitoba mid next month. I'm in need of accommodation and my budget is $500 cad for a room or $1000 cad for a 2 bedroom apartment. If you have any lead, let me know. The apartment has to be in downtown or close to UofW or Providence University College. Treat as urgent.

Thank you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by SirVic95: 11:19pm On Mar 22
Hello
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by SirVic95: 11:21pm On Mar 22
Jaygirl20:
This guide was created by another Nigerian in Edmonton and can help newly landed peeps: https://thenaijahub.ca/new-migrant-guide/
Hello, Can you accept my message so i can Email you. I’m in Edmonton aswell. Thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by TwinHeart: 10:16pm On Mar 23
Hello. Does anyone know about anyone that lived along the border and worked in the US? (For instance, living in Windsor ON and working in Detroit, MI) I need to make some inquiries relating to tax and maintenance of PR status.

Thank you!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ishoba: 2:10am On Mar 26
Hello everyone,
I just got NOI from Ontario. I will like to be added to any group for this course pls? Thank you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Guest911: 2:42am On Mar 26
TwinHeart:
Hello. Does anyone know about anyone that lived along the border and worked in the US? (For instance, living in Windsor ON and working in Detroit, MI) I need to make some inquiries relating to tax and maintenance of PR status.

Thank you!
Tax depends on your employer, does the company operate in Canada or just the US? Canada and US have tax treaty to avoid double taxation.

Secondly do you have to physically be in Detroit during work hours?
In other to maintain your PR status you must live in Canada for about 2 years in 5 years.

So even if you have to work in Michigan it would not affect your pr status because you still spend more time in Canada. Work hours are usually 8-10 hours daily

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Mikkky2804: 11:41am On Mar 26
Please I would love to ask. I would be traveling to Nova Scotia, most likely next month if I get my passport in time. How much should I hold that would be enough (rent inclusive) to sustain me for a month while I settle down in work? I would live alone so I'm cool with a 1bedroom? Also, what is the best way to have this money (as cash, or in my Nigerian USD dorm)? Please anyone that can advise on this. This is my first international experience.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by TwinHeart: 12:48am On Mar 27
Guest911:

Tax depends on your employer, does the company operate in Canada or just the US? Canada and US have tax treaty to avoid double taxation.

Secondly do you have to physically be in Detroit during work hours?
In other to maintain your PR status you must live in Canada for about 2 years in 5 years.

So even if you have to work in Michigan it would not affect your pr status because you still spend more time in Canada. Work hours are usually 8-10 hours daily

Thanks for the response. I’m a doctor so I have to physically be at work.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 1:00am On Mar 27
Mikkky2804:
Please I would love to ask. I would be traveling to Nova Scotia, most likely next month if I get my passport in time. How much should I hold that would be enough (rent inclusive) to sustain me for a month while I settle down in work? I would live alone so I'm cool with a 1bedroom? Also, what is the best way to have this money (as cash, or in my Nigerian USD dorm)? Please anyone that can advise on this. This is my first international experience.
around 2k to 2.5k should be enough if you get a temporary room to rent. If it’s airbnb you have to settle for check the average prices on their website . You can bring some of your money in cash(usd) and convert here.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by JapaPrince: 2:48am On Mar 27
V
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Bolawa12: 4:07am On Mar 27
houstin2020:
I just received the email too stating : The decision envelope for your application, tracking ID No.... . .......... has been received from the IRCC Office on Tue Mar 19 2024 and has been dispatched to the Canada Visa Application Centre. For further details, please contact the VAC helpline number or refer to our website

Congrats. Pls what is the timeline for your application starting from when you submitted your application
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Hayfeez(m): 4:01pm On Mar 27
Hello,
For PRs in Ontario,
Is there anyone that has used the driving letter from the Nigerian high commission in Ottawa for driving license? Many locations have started rejecting the extract from FRSC.

I would like to know the detailed process. Saw someone's story that the license wasn't returned to him afterwards.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by fabiomatic(m): 2:05am On Mar 28
You just earned a follow. I gbadun intelligent people. We can connect if you don’t mind cos I just pm’ed you
NuCypher:

Good discussion! Let me give my own opinion. Warning: this is a long one! Sorry smiley

I think many people coming to Canada come with too many expectations. These expectations often start with that well-known worry inherent in the constant “why is VFS delaying my passports?”, “who can I send a message to”, “I just messaged the MP of my district”, bla bla bla. THat offs me on a steady. You are sending mail to VFS to hurry along with your passport that will certainly come if you don’t lift a finger, yet you are not even researching the other things you need to do to SURVIVE in canada. You are not researching the techniques with which to get a job. You are not investigating LinkedIn and looking into how to build a good profile. You are basically instead worrying day and night about VFS sending a passport that will certainly come to you. I’m digressing sha, but I just responded to one of them today, so it’s sort of fresh in my head. Not knowing it is a problem is a big thing.

But that’s besides the point. For me, I can easily imagine anyone regretting their coming to Canada. It’s very easy to regret it. You get here full of so many expectations. The country is after all just north of America. It’s basically America’s 51st state, lmao. So, opportunities should abound, right? Well, wrong! There is nowhere in the world where opportunities are handed out like a chicken on a plate. Not even in the Nigeria you were coming from. Many a times, we have to work for our opportunities everywhere we find ourselves. In any case, it’s easy to regret. You are working odd jobs. You are paying the type of rent you have never paid in your life. Car insurance for a year is basically the same amount of money you will pay for a year’s rent in Lekki. No be juju be that? Lmao! One other thing some of those youtubers mention (I’ll come to them in a minute), is that they have to pay for daycare, or that there’s nobody to help them with their children, or that they are afraid of what is being taught in the schools, so they must send their wards to catholic schools. All well and good. Another complaint is loneliness, how it’s very difficult to find someone to marry, said in the breadth as if it’s any easier in Lagos (Nearly all the men in Lagos are mad! –now, that’s a good reference book).

In any case, it’s easy for anyone to regret their Canada move. Coming in with so many expectations and finding Canada trash these expectations one after the other, they become disillusioned and start to wallow in regret.

But not everyone does. I know because I have a couple of friends who will tell you immediately that Canada has done for them what Nigeria could never have done. One of my friends I was talking to the other day, who was working pretty much an executive assistant job in Deloitte in Nigeria, now finds herself in a position here in Canada that she could never have imagined being in Nigeria. In fact, she actually almost lost her life, but thanks to the same Canada health system that YouTubers love to vilify, she is well and alive today. And not just that, she and her husband have a much better marriage than they did in Nigeria, they recently bought a house that has risen tremendously in value, and are doing extremely well for themselves, all from working what are regular jobs in Canada, not tech jobs, not nursing jobs, etc. Standard, regular jobs. They boast of a net worth they will never have approached in at least 10 years of working in Nigeria.

That aside, personal stories aside. living in a different country and expecting things to obtain like they do in your home country is really just plain stupid. There’s no loneliness in Canada; there’s just a Canada way of life. There’s a way people (and Canadians generally) live in this country that appears to suggest or cause loneliness, but it’s the way of life. People are mostly indoors in winter time, because it’s cold outside. Most get-togethers happen among friends, not strangers. Sports is a very good way of passing time in this country and that cuts across. Football (or what is called soccer) is not a popular sport here. Put simply, there’s a way of life. If you come from Nigeria and you can’t find people to play football with you, it’s not because they are boring. Dude, wake up! Most people just don’t play football here. Have you tried hockey!? In Nigeria, it’s not out of place to just walk into a random party on the street and suddenly get accepted by those celebrating. You could even be served food. In Yoruba parlance, they call it “mogbo moya”. You can’t do that here. It’s the culture. Celebrations happen mostly among friends known very well to each other. I read something the other day when someone said “Christmas was so boring in Canada.” No dude, CHristmas is not boring in Canada. They just don’t celebrate Christmas here like they do in Nigeria. CHristmas is mostly sitting at a table with family, having a good discussion and a drink. Maybe find or get into a friend group where you could also do the same? And there are places you can find friend groups. Start with a church, if you are lost. If you are not a church person, but you are still “lonely”, again, start with a church. They’ll accept you. Or look for friend groups on whatsapp, telegram channels, etc. There’s always one or two things going on. What you shouldn’t expect is that someone will literally come and drag you from inside your apartment to come hang out with them. Even that doesn’t happen in Lagos. But people often get so carried away with their loneliness, that they think everything else should start with them.

And on these YouTubers who are quick to post the “top 10 reasons why people are leaving Canada”, maybe we need to start first with why they themselves haven’t left? That’s possibly a sensitive trigger question for them. I’m sure they are having it so good with their fast uploads/download speeds, their restaurant outings, their “follow me grocery shopping” and nobody is snatching their phones, or their “I went on a Jamaican vacation” to be too bothered about leaving Canada. The life they portray in their videos may in fact be literally impossible if they were not in Canada. That can only say one thing, and that is that they do these videos just for the clicks and the views. Nothing else.
People may in fact be leaving Canada. That’s not unusual. It’s not automatic that everyone will have success in Canada. That’s not written in stone anywhere. To succeed in life, we have to apply ourselves in different ways. But to think Canada doesn’t make the path easy is to tell a lie. I know a few people who have pivoted into tech in Canada from taking a few courses online and truly applying themselves. Admittedly, this happens in Nigeria too, just as it does in Canada. But if you don’t want it badly, why should you expect to get it? And of course, the pay can never be commensurate.

One of the YouTubers I was listening to the other day also mentioned something about how daycare is expensive for them. I'm actually quite surprised she didn't expect this before coming to Canada. It simply means she didn't do her research well. If she did, she'd have planned better for this. Maybe prioritize only WFH jobs? Maybe move without the kids for starters? Whatever is possible, good research will most certainly tell her what to do. What's plain dumb is coming on YouTube to lament about it, as if it was not expected. There's a reason most Canadians are content with just having one or two kids and no more. This is something they have an intimate understanding of while growing up. Most of them have even ruled out kids completely, which is not an entirely bad move for someone who wants to stay financially independent. Again, it's the way of life. And that's why you will hardly ever see a Canadian go on YouTube to complain about expensive daycare. The Nigerian, on the other hand, comes into the country expecting things to be exactly like they left it in Nigeria. Sorry, babe, that's not how life works. You needed to understand this well before making your Canada move. If you did, you will plan much better for it.

It’s not a surprise that an idle mind is the devil’s workshop. That saying is truer than ever about those who wallow on their couch in Canada thinking about what fancy life they had in Nigeria and why they can’t have the same in Canada. They grovel in their previous success and cannot replicate it. You start to wonder if they really truly succeeded in Nigeria or if it was just all luck. Was passing that exam in Nigeria a fluke for them? If it wasn’t, why are they struggling with passing their exams here? Did they truly understand the subject? Did they have the passion for what they did in Nigeria? One of the tales I told up there about the couple who succeeded in Canada actually has a side to it that’s not that impressive. The wife was a practicing doctor in Nigeria who couldn’t scale the hurdle of practicing in Canada. Talking to her, you could perceive she wasn’t even passionate about being a doctor at all. Little wonder she couldn’t truly apply herself in Canada to scale that well-known, difficult hurdle. She ended up with a government job that she still enjoys now anyways. But at least, she’s not complaining like the many others.

There are different sides to Canada, let’s be real. There’s the good and the bad. But one thing I can tell you for real is that opportunities abound, but only if you set your mind to earning those opportunities. That much is true.

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by leksite120(m): 10:53am On Mar 29
Hello.
My pregnant wife and I will be coming to Canada by May. I am a student and she's SOWP. Her delivery date will be around a month after arriving. Please how much will cost us to give birth in canada(the least option), and possible information I need to know.

Please, I urgently need a response. Thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by seunpinky(m): 9:49pm On Mar 29
leksite120:
Hello.
My pregnant wife and I will be coming to Canada by May. I am a student and she's SOWP. Her delivery date will be around a month after arriving. Please how much will cost us to give birth in canada(the least option), and possible information I need to know.

1. Which province are you going to?
2. Do you have more than enough money to sustain you and your family without recourse to working for at least 4 months?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Abigbo: 9:58pm On Mar 29
Find out from the school about the type of insurance you are on and if u can add her to your insurance, then you pay the outstanding balance.
It should be much cheaper than paying wholly out of your pocket.

leksite120:
Hello.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by mraskmeanything: 12:21am On Mar 30
Attention New Permanent Residents-to-Be: Your Journey to Winnipeg Manitoba Awaits! 🛬

Congratulations on receiving your Biometrics Request/passport request as a future Permanent Resident of Winnipeg MB ! 🎉 Your exciting adventure to your new home is just around the corner, and I'm here to help you prepare for your arrival in Winnipeg, Manitoba.

In this thread, I want to provide guidance, answer your burning questions, and offer insights into what you can expect when you land in Canada. Whether you're feeling excited, nervous, or a bit of both, rest assured that you're not alone on this journey.

Here's what we can discuss:

🛂 Immigration Procedures: Understanding the final steps of the immigration process, including what to expect at the port of entry and how to complete your landing process smoothly.

🧳 Preparing for Arrival: Tips on what to pack, essential documents to bring with you, and how to make your travel experience as stress-free as possible.

💰 Financial Literacy: An overview of Canada's financial framework, including banking systems, currency, and basic financial concepts to help you manage your money effectively in your new country.

📝 Administrative Tasks: Navigating administrative tasks such as applying for a Social Insurance Number (SIN), opening a bank account, and registering for healthcare.

🏠 Settling In: Insights into finding temporary accommodation upon arrival, getting acquainted with Winnipeg's neighborhoods, and starting your new life in Canada.

🌟 Embracing Your New Community: Connecting with other newcomers, exploring cultural events and activities in Winnipeg, and building a support network as you adjust to life in Canada.

🛡️ Financial Protection: Understanding the importance of financial protection, including insurance options such as health insurance, tenant insurance, and life insurance to safeguard yourself and your loved ones.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have or share your concerns as you prepare for this life-changing journey. I'm here to offer support, share my experiences, and help ease your transition into your new home country.

Safe travels, and I look forward to welcoming you to Manitoba!

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by harmonyedu: 6:21am On Mar 30
Hello

SisterDeborah:

Okay, I have. Thank you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by leksite120(m): 11:38am On Mar 30
Abigbo:
Find out from the school about the type of insurance you are on and if u can add her to your insurance, then you pay the outstanding balance.
It should be much cheaper than paying wholly out of your pocket.

I checked, it's fair, I'll top up some money. It's still better. I think I'll opt for that.
Thank you very much

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by mirrybell: 3:19pm On Mar 30
Does anyone know about a room up for rent in a house or apartment in saskatoon close to the University of Saskatchewan for May 1st
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 99thEnemy(m): 3:24pm On Mar 30
mirrybell:
Does anyone know about a room up for rent in a house or apartment in saskatoon close to the University of Saskatchewan for May 1st
Yes, there is an apartment complex with available studio appliances on bazunga street near toopsy. Just a stone throw. cool

(1) (2) (3) ... (705) (706) (707) (708) (709) (710) (711) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.