Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,891 members, 7,814,015 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:11 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (710) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2186526 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (707) (708) (709) (710) (711) (712) (713) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 10:32am On Apr 03
hammed71:
how, Canada is bigger than the USA in size with only about 40million plus people
Arable land in Canada is about 4.4% of total landmass, coupled with the weather and terrain. The USA also has a bigger economy that can support over 300m population.

The prime minister is talking about the current infrastructure, economic situation ( jobs and all) . It can no longer absorb the current immigration levels.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by adebenson155: 10:34pm On Apr 03
megastu:
Why would you want to change it back to Naira?

Address the reasons for refusal and reapply.

Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by JIREN01: 11:50pm On Apr 03
Hello everyone. I recently got the “request for visa” mail from IRCC and have sent my passport across. I currently stay in the UK and plan to travel to Canada with my wife by July. I’ll be moving to Ontario, as I got in through PNP.
However, Ontario is really big, and it has been very difficult figuring out the precise city to stay. I don’t know if anyone can provide robust insights as to the following:
a) The best city with the right balance of affordability-employment-Nigerian community.
b) Can I drive with my Nigeria license pending the time I take the Canadian driving test?
c) Regarding cars, I’ve been checking auto trader and Facebook marketplace, and I was surprised at how expensive cars are, even with very high mileage. What’s the advisable upper limit for mileage when purchasing cars (e.g. Mercedes Benz GLA or Jaguar F-pace)? Also, what are the red flags to look out for?
d) While I know this is relative, please indulge me, where’s the best city to stay of the GTAs?
All inputs are welcome.
@salford1 @megastu @Homguy @ednut1

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Enculer2: 12:00am On Apr 04
Ontario prospective students

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by megastu(m): 3:33am On Apr 04
Most newcomers like Scaborough or York due to its transport assessibility. For families you can do Mississauga, Brampton or Hamilton. They are between 35-55mins from Toronto and ideal for families.
JIREN01:
Hello everyone. I recently got the “request for visa” mail from IRCC and have sent my passport across. I currently stay in the UK and plan to travel to Canada with my wife by July. I’ll be moving to Ontario, as I got in through PNP.
However, Ontario is really big, and it has been very difficult figuring out the precise city to stay. I don’t know if anyone can provide robust insights as to the following:
a) The best city with the right balance of affordability-employment-Nigerian community.
b) Can I drive with my Nigeria license pending the time I take the Canadian driving test?
c) Regarding cars, I’ve been checking auto trader and Facebook marketplace, and I was surprised at how expensive cars are, even with very high mileage. What’s the advisable upper limit for mileage when purchasing cars (e.g. Mercedes Benz GLA or Jaguar F-pace)? Also, what are the red flags to look out for?
d) While I know this is relative, please indulge me, where’s the best city to stay of the GTAs?
All inputs are welcome.
@salford1 @megastu @Homguy @ednut1

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by JIREN01: 1:05pm On Apr 04
megastu:
Most newcomers like Scaborough or York due to its transport assessibility. For families you can do Mississauga, Brampton or Hamilton. They are between 35-55mins from Toronto and ideal for families.
Thank you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by JIREN01: 1:07pm On Apr 04
megastu:
Also, I take it the aforementioned cities ideal for families are so because they’re more affordable?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 1:25pm On Apr 04
JIREN01:
Also, I take it the aforementioned cities ideal for families are so because they’re more affordable?
he already has explained why people prefer north york and Scarborough. It’s easily accessible to downtown Toronto and environs via line 1 and line 2 subway. Also consider where you are likely to get jobs ( check indeed) , you can check the cost of rents for the different areas online. Affordability and GTA in these current time too don’t exist. 😅

For driving you can use the 9ja license to 2 or 3 months only

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by JIREN01: 9:54pm On Apr 04
ednut1:
he already has explained why people prefer north york and Scarborough. It’s easily accessible to downtown Toronto and environs via line 1 and line 2 subway. Also consider where you are likely to get jobs ( check indeed) , you can check the cost of rents for the different areas online. Affordability and GTA in these current time too don’t exist. 😅

Thank you Ednut
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Rhoda21: 10:43am On Apr 05
Hello Everyone,

I am reaching out to this esteemed community to inquire if there are any like-minded individuals who are also looking for a roommate while searching for accommodation in Ontario, Canada.
I just got my copr and I’d be traveling to Ontario soon from Lagos, Nigeria.

I am a 29-year old single lady and I am looking for considerate individuals who understand the importance of compatibility and mutual respect in a shared living environment.

If you will be interested or know anyone who may be, please kindly reach out. I am eager to connect with you.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 40manlappy: 3:57pm On Apr 05
Rhoda21:
Hello Everyone,

I am reaching out to this esteemed community to inquire if there are any like-minded individuals who are also looking for a roommate while searching for accommodation in Ontario, Canada.

I am a 29-year old single lady and I am looking for considerate individuals who understand the importance of compatibility and mutual respect in a shared living environment.

If you will be interested or know anyone who may be, please kindly reach out. I am eager to connect with you.

Thank you.

You may need to specify the city (or cities) that you are considering. The province (Ontario) is bigger than Nigeria!

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by megastu(m): 8:19pm On Apr 05
I would have told you to join my Ontario Accommodation group but its fully maxed out with about 85 people on queue. I opened a second group that one too is maxed out with another 67 people waiting on queue. I do not have the strength to run a 3rd group as it takes so much of my time.

Try facebook market place or even kijiji.
Rhoda21:
Hello Everyone,

Thank you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Rhoda21: 12:20am On Apr 06
40manlappy:

You may need to specify the city (or cities) that you are considering. The province (Ontario) is bigger than Nigeria!

I am considering Toronto. Probably places like Scarborough, York or even Hamilton. Basically places that a bit affordable within Toronto.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Rhoda21: 12:22am On Apr 06
megastu:
I would have told you to join my Ontario Accommodation group but its fully maxed out with about 85 people on queue. I opened a second group that one too is maxed out with another 67 people waiting on queue. I do not have the strength to run a 3rd group as it takes so much of my time.

Okay. Thank you so much.
However, if you do eventually change your mind and open a 3rd group, I’d really love to be a part of it.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by slydog(m): 5:46am On Apr 06
Rhoda21:

I am considering Toronto. Probably places like Scarborough, York or even Hamilton. Basically places that a bit affordable within Toronto.

Affordable and Toronto in the same sentence.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Rhoda21: 10:04am On Apr 06
slydog:

Affordable and Toronto in the same sentence.

What I mean is places like Scarborough, Hamilton, are a bit more affordable than downtown.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by LesPieux: 11:34pm On Apr 06
How would you have voted and why?

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ERIIGBALA: 12:25am On Apr 07
Hello, please I need a one-bedroom apartment anywhere in Winnipeg. My budget is $700 to $900/monthly with utilities. I need it urgently. My current accommodation is temporary, the main occupants will return from Nigeria middle of this month. We recently moved to Winnipeg and getting accommodation has been hectic through those online rental sites. Please, I will appreciate any leads. Basements, apartments, anyone. Thank you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by wumicipm(f): 12:49am On Apr 07
Hello Everyone,
My husband has been in Vancouver for 14 months and unable to find a skilled job. He is a chartered accountant (CPA/CGA). He just completed his MBA last year December. Any help will be very useful. He is also a Project Manager and business analyst- certified

Also, I want to apply for a resident visa as the one we came in with has expired. Do we need to go for another medical examination?
If yes, where?

Thank you.

Regards
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by signature2012(m): 1:30am On Apr 07
megastu:

Move all of them to Telegram and add more people!!!

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by gideon19: 1:49am On Apr 07
ednut1:

Hi ednut1, I will be 3 months in Canada this month and I already have my extract from FRSC (since last year). If I am to get the G-license, does it matter how long the extract was issued?

I would really appreciate any guidance on how I can get the G-licence, please.

I am in the Ontario province (Markham).

NOTE: I am yet to start driving in Canada.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 4:19am On Apr 07
gideon19:

Hi ednut1, I will be 3 months in Canada this month and I already have my extract from FRSC (since last year). If I am to get the G-license, does it matter how long the extract was issued?

the extract is a record I dont think it expires. Go for the G1( knowledge test), then find a driving instructor for lessons ( check facebook marketplace) before attempting the G test.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Rhoda21: 12:26pm On Apr 07
signature2012:

Move all of them to Telegram and add more people!!!

Yes please, that’ll be helpful.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ijeezlux(m): 3:30pm On Apr 07
Hello everyone, I greet the house.
my younger bro has been in BC (Burnaby) for like a month now, and his school has resumed. He has been trying to look for a job even if it's menial or construction work but has not been able to get any. He has submitted his CV in several places but all to no avail.
Please can anyone be of help to us. I will be very very grateful
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Guest911: 3:36pm On Apr 07
gideon19:

Submit your extract as fast as you can it expires after 4 months or less. Besides it’s not compulsory to do the test after submitting your extract . They’ll just add your driving history so you’ll be eligible for G test. Else you’ll wait one year before you can even do g2
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Guest911: 3:39pm On Apr 07
wumicipm:
Hello Everyone,
My husband has been in Vancouver for 14 months and unable to find a skilled job. He is a chartered accountant (CPA/CGA). He just completed his MBA last year December. Any help will be very useful. He is also a Project Manager and business analyst- certified

Also, I want to apply for a resident visa as the one we came in with has expired. Do we need to go for another medical examination?
If yes, where?

Thank you.

Regards
you don’t need medical since you’ve been in Canada for over a year. Since your visa is exited before you applied for renewal you’ll also need to apply for restoration of status. Then apply for renewal .
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Guest911: 3:41pm On Apr 07
Rhoda21:

What I mean is places like Scarborough, Hamilton, are a bit more affordable than downtown.
North york is so ghetto sha. Hamilton is still better off. You can still get a studio apt for 800-900 and a flat for 1200-1500
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Rhoda21: 4:10pm On Apr 07
Guest911:

North york is so ghetto sha. Hamilton is still better off. You can still get a studio apt for 800-900 and a flat for 1200-1500

Oh really?
Thanks for the info.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by JapaPrince: 5:16pm On Apr 07
Hello guys
I’m searching for an affordable Nigerian food vendor in Montreal.
Thank you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ICONEB: 5:24pm On Apr 07
Use Uber eats
JapaPrince:
Hello guys
I’m searching for an affordable Nigerian food vendor in Montreal.
Thank you

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by gideon19: 6:20pm On Apr 07
Guest911:

Submit your extract as fast as you can it expires after 4 months or less. Besides it’s not compulsory to do the test after submitting your extract . They’ll just add your driving history so you’ll be eligible for G test. Else you’ll wait one year before you can even do g2

How can I go about this, pls?
i.e the submission of the extract.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by gideon19: 6:21pm On Apr 07
ednut1:
the extract is a record I dont think it expires. Go for the G1( knowledge test), then find a driving instructor for lessons ( check facebook marketplace) before attempting the G test.

thanks a lot.

(1) (2) (3) ... (707) (708) (709) (710) (711) (712) (713) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.