Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,476 members, 7,819,736 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:01 PM

SSS Invades AIT: Stops Political Broadcast! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / SSS Invades AIT: Stops Political Broadcast! (3263 Views)

Benin Republic Invades Kwara, Nigeria Takes Over 16 Border Villages / Babangida Fumes At Anti-military Political Broadcast From Pdp / Babangida Fumes At Anti-military Political Broadcast (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

SSS Invades AIT: Stops Political Broadcast! by Razorr(f): 10:51am On Apr 18, 2007
Gun-wielding men of the State Security Service on Tuesday invaded the Abuja station of the African Independent Television and carted away tapes and recording materials.

According to eyewitnesses, the security agents drove into the premises about 3pm when the station was airing a documentary on Nigeria‘s political development.

They were said to have harassed the workers and beat up those in charge of the documentary.

When our correspondent visited the AIT office, the General Manager, Mr. Imoni Mark Amarere, had left for the headquarters of the SSS.

Members of staff of the station were seen in front of the building discussing the incident.

One of them who craved anonymity told our correspondent that the SSS operatives pointed their guns at the workers and demanded that the broadcast be stopped.

The AIT management, in a statement recounted the station‘s ordeal in the hands of the security agents.

The statement read in part, ”Security operatives at gun point gained access into the Raypower studio and later forced their way into the Master Control facility of Africa Independent Television, AIT.

“The raiding team violently forced broadcast operatives out of the radio studio and knocked the station off the air.

“At the Master Control facility of the AIT, the rampaging five-member team at gun point ordered the three control room officers, two of them women, to lie face down before carrying out their mission.

“They forcibly removed a broadcast tape of a documentary being aired at the time of the invasion.

“The same group of security operatives returned at about half an hour later in a J5 Space bus, ash colour with no registration number, made for the Master Control Room of Africa Independent Television, AIT and removed every available broadcast material.

“Some of our staff have also reported that their handsets were seized by the invading team on suspicion that their phones were being used to film the invasion.”

Source: - http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200704182474067
Re: SSS Invades AIT: Stops Political Broadcast! by buchio7(m): 11:08am On Apr 18, 2007
Thats wat u get when u put a dictator in civilian clothes and thrust him up as a democrat.
Re: SSS Invades AIT: Stops Political Broadcast! by Razorr(f): 11:12am On Apr 18, 2007
buchio7:

Thats what u get when u put a dictator in civilian clothes and thrust him up as a democrat.

I no fit shout again o! angry angry
Re: SSS Invades AIT: Stops Political Broadcast! by Seun(m): 12:25pm On Apr 18, 2007
Now we understand better why the president has to personally approve every TV license.

What was the content of the political broadcast in question? Was it sponsored by Atiku? Was it defamatory?
Re: SSS Invades AIT: Stops Political Broadcast! by Razorr(f): 12:29pm On Apr 18, 2007
Is the press not supposed to be independent?

Are there no laws in our land? angry

Are there no bodies assigned the task of monitoring T.V. broadcasts and taking the right legal actions against infringement of broadcasting laws? angry
Re: SSS Invades AIT: Stops Political Broadcast! by canachy(m): 12:30pm On Apr 18, 2007
Nigeria is heading to anarchy
Re: SSS Invades AIT: Stops Political Broadcast! by Maryam: 12:48pm On Apr 18, 2007
May God help us oooooooooo. This is supposed to be a democratic nation isnt it.
Re: SSS Invades AIT: Stops Political Broadcast! by Beline(f): 12:48pm On Apr 18, 2007
is it the SSS that suppose to stop any broadcast or NBC?
Re: SSS Invades AIT: Stops Political Broadcast! by Nobody: 12:49pm On Apr 18, 2007
i was wondering why AIT has been offline for the past three days.

as uncle sege said,this elections na DO or DIE!!!
Re: SSS Invades AIT: Stops Political Broadcast! by buluti(m): 12:51pm On Apr 18, 2007
Razorr:

Is the press not supposed to be independent?

Are there no laws in our land? angry

Are there no bodies assigned the task of monitoring T.V. broadcasts and taking the right legal actions against infringement of broadcasting laws? angry

You couldnt have said it better.
Re: SSS Invades AIT: Stops Political Broadcast! by Razorr(f): 12:53pm On Apr 18, 2007
This is getting really scary o!
Re: SSS Invades AIT: Stops Political Broadcast! by topojons(m): 1:03pm On Apr 18, 2007
This will continue to happen if we continue the government of PDP, We dont want them again , remember Obasanjo then when he first came in, He was skinny like YAr'dua and now u see that he's fat and looking robostic,

Let change hand and this government will improve,

Thanks God his vice his no more in godd term with him anymore we would say that bird i=of the same feathers, but his vice his now IN action congress and we know what that means, HE his ready to work,

Lets vote for Atiku ABubakar as our next president,

Action congress
Democracy forever

Re: SSS Invades AIT: Stops Political Broadcast! by opuro(m): 1:05pm On Apr 18, 2007
Maybe it's because of national interest that the government had to close the station down you know?
Or is AIT more important than Nigeria?
Re: SSS Invades AIT: Stops Political Broadcast! by Albert09(m): 1:14pm On Apr 18, 2007
That's official armed robbery. It shows the Government's disregard for rule of Law. Infact, this is a military Government because this cannot happen in a democratic dispensation.
Re: SSS Invades AIT: Stops Political Broadcast! by Albert09(m): 1:21pm On Apr 18, 2007
Opuro,

What has national interest got to do with this. We should learn to draw a distinction between so called national interest and individual rights. The Government should have employed a more civilised way to penalise AIT than resulting to such jungle and barbaric acts. Remember, AIT owes the public the duty to educate and inform them of all activities.
Re: SSS Invades AIT: Stops Political Broadcast! by opuro(m): 1:22pm On Apr 18, 2007
topojon abi wetin be ur name, so na campaign u de do for ATIKU now well done. but no 4get say PDP na ATIKU house dem hatch am. no 4get say ATIKU and OBJ rule this country 4 8 yrs no 4get say na ATIKU de rule all the time OBJ de fly up and down 4 debt counciliation [I de correct so?] ol boy if pin tey 4 magnet E go become magnet. COME SATURDAY UNA GO UNDERSTAND
Re: SSS Invades AIT: Stops Political Broadcast! by ohikhena(m): 1:26pm On Apr 18, 2007
we seem 2 b getting everything wrong in this country.God help us. smiley
Re: SSS Invades AIT: Stops Political Broadcast! by papi22(m): 1:28pm On Apr 18, 2007
Obasanjo came to lagos 2 days to governorship election at kosofe to be precise, he was asking telling the crowd that a government have been there for eight year and nothing has been done, and that same government now want to install another man to ruling.

between obasanjo and tinubu ; who is an achiever?
Re: SSS Invades AIT: Stops Political Broadcast! by Beline(f): 1:29pm On Apr 18, 2007
topojons:

This will continue to happen if we continue the government of PDP, We don't want them again , remember Obasanjo then when he first came in, He was skinny like YAr'dua and now u see that he's fat and looking robostic,

Let change hand and this government will improve,

Thanks God his vice his no more in godd term with him anymore we would say that bird i=of the same feathers, but his vice his now IN action congress and we know what that means, HE his ready to work,

Lets vote for Atiku ABubakar as our next president,

Action congress
Democracy forever

this is not a question of party but the who in you. I would appreciate this fight between the President and his Vice if it was in the first term or early part of this tenure. I asked this question WHY NOW? Didn't the VP knows his president before, why didn't he tell us that the government of PDP is bad before now. My dear don't be deceived they know themselves better than we do

I'm not campaigning for anybody but like I always said listen to your conscience and do what it tells you.
Re: SSS Invades AIT: Stops Political Broadcast! by opuro(m): 1:33pm On Apr 18, 2007
Albert,
     we should be frank with our selves these private owed media at time go contrary to the agreement they signed. some of them like to tell too much lies against the govt. what they dont see they tell u they see more than that. They like to misinform the public
Re: SSS Invades AIT: Stops Political Broadcast! by viee(f): 1:35pm On Apr 18, 2007
thanks Razzor for posting this!

i have actually asked what happened to AIT and was told that their premises burnt!

heard it from a couple of pple, just wondering who came up with that line!

anyway, khaki must always exhibits its khakiness!

it is such a huge shame that we are talking democracy yet this sought of thing is happening

besides why do they always pick on AIT?
remember the period of the bellview crash?they had similar problem,
and to think that Dokpesi is a member of PDP

boils down to grabing a long spoon when dinning with the devil.

what a shame!
Re: SSS Invades AIT: Stops Political Broadcast! by seunspice(m): 1:47pm On Apr 18, 2007
The rumor i am hearing now is that the Lagos office of AIT at Alagbado has been burnt, has anyone heard this? or can anyone confirm it?
Re: SSS Invades AIT: Stops Political Broadcast! by Razorr(f): 2:00pm On Apr 18, 2007
What has AIT done to deserve all this? Were they campaigning for Atiku?
Re: SSS Invades AIT: Stops Political Broadcast! by goodguy(m): 2:18pm On Apr 18, 2007
viee:

i have actually asked what happened to AIT and was told that their premises burnt!

heard it from a couple of people, just wondering who came up with that line!

seunspice:

The rumor i am hearing now is that the Lagos office of AIT at Alagbado has been burnt, has anyone heard this? or can anyone confirm it?

As I was walking by the road side 2 days ago, I saw a caption on one of the national newspapers about AIT being burnt. I have also heard the same story from a couple of people, and considering the fact that they've not been operating for the past 3 days, I guess it's true.
Re: SSS Invades AIT: Stops Political Broadcast! by Nobody: 2:24pm On Apr 18, 2007
If AIT is breaching the contract, they should be charged to court and possibly withdraw thier licence. Yet Nigerians deserve the right to know what the offence is.

The way AIT monitored and followed that madness called eletion last saturday is enough to anger the "gods" in Aso Rock.  I will be more inclined to believe that they are in trouble for trying to tell Nigerians the truth.

If they had said the election was free and fair, OBJ will personally go to the station to give them award.

We are operating a very dangerous system.  Our system is responsible for producing such characters as Obasanjo and except we do something to the system, the chances of producing one worse than him is there.

I feel for AIT, but then what else can we do?
Re: SSS Invades AIT: Stops Political Broadcast! by viee(f): 2:48pm On Apr 18, 2007
is this to say that AIT is not being objective in her reporting?
otherwise, how come channels do not face similar problem?
OBJ once said that he dosnt listen to local stations, so he briefs him?
do we smell bad belle in the AIT matter?
i think i do
Re: SSS Invades AIT: Stops Political Broadcast! by Razorr(f): 3:37pm On Apr 18, 2007
Someone has to stop Obasanjo O!

I am beginning to like Atiku! angry
Re: SSS Invades AIT: Stops Political Broadcast! by babasin(m): 3:47pm On Apr 18, 2007
I am not surprised.

A dying man will do anything!

This is the dying days of OBJ regime.
grin angry grin
Re: SSS Invades AIT: Stops Political Broadcast! by Tonyblu(m): 3:48pm On Apr 18, 2007
Whatever happened to Press freedom?
How else is d public meant to get information when press houses are "SHOT" down.
Most TV stations (and media houses) are either state-owned, govt owned; owned by someone highly connected to d ruling party or plain scared to sing d wrong song!

Isnt this another way of perpetrating abject IGNORANCE among d populace?
Isnt this a means of keeping important information from d populace?

I'll rather say that no matter the issue AIT was involved in, the business-end-of-a-gun-barrel wasnt d solution.
This same people preach DUE PROCESS, yet they are the first to break laws.

It's highly improper!

I cant wait for this crazy administration to leave, come May 29th, 2007!
What a BIG relief it'll be!
Re: SSS Invades AIT: Stops Political Broadcast! by Razorr(f): 5:00pm On Apr 18, 2007
hmmm. . . spot on. . .
Re: SSS Invades AIT: Stops Political Broadcast! by adconline(m): 5:27pm On Apr 18, 2007
Seun

How would you feel if SSS visited your office and carted away your computers. Simply because your were posting some dissenting opinions on your website?

I always tell you that you are biased when you talk about Atiku and OBJ. You always portray Atiku as  Nigeria's greatest evil. OBJ is no less.  Press freedom should be respected. If  not, SSS maybe knocking on your door mext.
Re: SSS Invades AIT: Stops Political Broadcast! by redsun(m): 5:44pm On Apr 18, 2007
adconline,you are such a dick head,i bet you are one of them,under no circustances should the press right be violated unless proven guilty by the court of law for slander or defamation of character.Fela has said it all,military men in civilian cloths,ZOMBIES.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dubai Update: Ibori's Bail Revoked! / Dr. Chris Ngige Campaign Thread / Revealed:Real Reason Why Ribadu defected to PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.