Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,530 members, 7,819,909 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:19 AM

Pdp Caucus: Zoning Stays ! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pdp Caucus: Zoning Stays ! (2085 Views)

Metuh, Fayose Attend PDP Caucus Meeting / Udoedehe: Akpabio Gave Us N3m “transport Money” Each After PDP Caucus Meetings / Stop Using, Dumping PDP Members, Mu’azu Tells PDP Caucus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pdp Caucus: Zoning Stays ! by Gbawe: 8:51am On Aug 11, 2010
http://www.dailytrust.com/dailytrust/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=955:pdp-caucus-zoning-stays&catid=2:lead-stories&Itemid=8

PDP caucus: Zoning stays

Wednesday, 11 August 2010 02:30 Habeeb Pindiga & Muideen Olaniyi
Okwesilieze Nwodo

The National Caucus of the PDP rose from a meeting early morning yesterday rejecting moves to initiate a process for the removal of provisions on zoning and rotation from the party’s constitution.

But the caucus agreed that President Goodluck Jonathan was free to stand for elections in 2011.At a meeting held at the State House in Abuja, members of the caucus refused to accept plans to include among the proposed constitution changes a proposal for the deletion of section 7.2 (c) which provides that the party should zone and rotate political offices in the interest of peace and unity of the country.

Although no official statement was issued at the end of the meeting, senior party officials who attended the meeting told Daily Trust that there were heated debates over whether the president should be allowed to stand for election in the light of the party’s rules that zone the presidency to the North.

Supporters of the president said since the major inhibition for Jonathan’s ambition is the party rules, the constitutional provision should be deleted during the forthcoming convention.

But pro-zoning party leaders rejected this, saying it would create crisis that the party would not be able to manage.

Some party leaders suggested that given that the Federal constitution gives the president the right to stand for election, there was no point changing provisions of the PDP constitution. They also argued that in 2002 and 2006, politicians from sections of the country other than where the presidency was zoned to did contest the primaries regardless of the zoning arrangement.

The meeting rose at about 2am affirming the president’s right to stand but also rejecting moves to delete the zoning and power rotation clause from the constitution of the People’s Democratic Party.

The caucus also agreed that the party should spearhead wider consultations with the board of trustees and the national executive committee of the party over the contentious power rotation issue. It also mandated the party’s leadership to initiate dialogue with the top party leaders from both sides of the zoning debate.

The meeting was chaired by national chairman Okwesilieze Nwodo. Those who attended include President Jonathan, Senate President David Mark and other principal officers of the National Assembly, as well as members of the National Working Committee of the party. Former president Olusegun Obasanjo did not attend even though he is a member of the caucus.

Obasanjo was billed to chair the BOT meeting last night, to continue with deliberations over the power rotation issue.

Also at the caucus meeting, supporters of the president raised issues with the new state-by-state presidential primaries style contained in the Electoral Act as passed by the National Assembly. They urged that this should be removed from the bill before the presidential assent. But Mark told the agitators that it was too late to make such changes to the bill, but added that even after presidential assent, amendments could be proposed.

The caucus is an advisory body for the party and its decisions would only be enforceable after ratification by the national executive committee.
Re: Pdp Caucus: Zoning Stays ! by Ikengawo: 8:53am On Aug 11, 2010
you people like reading news

every article says something new. they want it they dont want it.

in the end of the day goodluck is going to run and has already began campaigning while we were distracted by 'news'
Re: Pdp Caucus: Zoning Stays ! by Gbawe: 9:10am On Aug 11, 2010
Ikengawo:

you people like reading news

every article says something new. they want it they dont want it.

in the end of the day goodluck is going to run and has already began campaigning while we were distracted by 'news'

Clearly, and from what we are seeing, it appears as if the  PDP supports zoning . It seems the Party is also indirectly advising Jonathan to run on another platform !!! Why can Jonathan , if he is not a "do-or-die desperado, not respect that ? Why , like OBJ , should Jonathan insist on forcing himself on those who do not want him?

Jonathan , if he is at all decent and a believer in Nigeria's progress rather than selfish and misplaced self-ambition, should eschew cowardly opportunism by declaring his ambition and running on a platform other than that of the PDP. Sadly, actions such as the sack of Ogbulafor just expose Jonathan as another do-or-die politician. If Jonathan truly believes in his own ability to win in 2011 then he should stop selfishly being the origin of so much rancour and bad blood with his insistence on using a platform (PDP) that can only be unwillingly bullied , at the last minute, to 'accomodate' his parochial and opportunist ambition with massive and unprincipled inducement. That is not democracy and we should all be worried about what these actions indicate if Jonathan remains President in 2011.

Asking PDP to change its constitution for Jonathan to run is highly unpopular. If Jonathan feels he can win without the rigging might of the ruling Party he would not be behaving in the same shamelessly undemocratic manner his do-or-die mentors (OBJ, Anenih, Danjuma,  et al ) have done in the past. We saw OBJ changing the rules undemocratically so he could become Chairman of the PDP BOT because the man fears free and fair elections!!!!

Jonathan is behaving in the same callous and undemocratic manner of past leaders like OBJ and that should worry all Nigerians immensely .
Re: Pdp Caucus: Zoning Stays ! by PapaBrowne(m): 9:33am On Aug 11, 2010
Gbawe is here again!! Why are you always painting your wishes as realities?? Wake up already! Jonathan will be President from 2011 to 2015 and probably beyond! That will happen not only because Jonathan is quite popular in the country, but mainly because the opposition led by the AC cannot find it in itself to look beyond regional and personalized politics. AC continues to paint itself as a Yoruba party under the grips of King Tinubu.

Its amazing that for the almost six months that the PDP has argued on zoning, AC wasn't able to ally with other politicians from other zones.

Even Fashola knows that the AC presidential ambition is a mirage, hence his refusal to stand as Vice Presidential aspirant under Ribadu. I like Fashola, I like Ribadu but Tinubu is just too much of an ambitions fellow.

Read this:
http://www.leadershipnigeria.com/news/cover-stories/18692-ac-ticket-i-cant-be-ribadus-running-mate--fashola
Re: Pdp Caucus: Zoning Stays ! by Akanbiedu(m): 9:39am On Aug 11, 2010
Zoning or No zoning, whichever way it goes, Nigeria will never remain the same in 2011. That I am sure.

Gbawe I personally want GEJ to contest the election so that we can have CHANGE. The current zoning setting of the PDP is their winning strategy. GEJ's ambition will bring CHANGE.
Re: Pdp Caucus: Zoning Stays ! by naso2(m): 9:41am On Aug 11, 2010
PapaBrowne:

Gbawe is here again!! Why are you always painting your wishes as realities??

I cant fit laugh grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Pdp Caucus: Zoning Stays ! by Gbawe: 9:44am On Aug 11, 2010
PapaBrowne:

Gbawe is here again!! Why are you always painting your wishes as realities?? Wake up already! Jonathan will be President from 2011 to 2015 and probably beyond! That will happen not only because Jonathan is quite popular in the country, but mainly because the opposition led by the AC cannot find it in itself to look beyond regional and personalized politics. AC continues to paint itself as a Yoruba party under the grips of King Tinubu.

Its amazing that for the almost six months that the PDP has argued on zoning, AC wasn't able to ally with other politicians from other zones.

Even Fashola knows that the AC presidential ambition is a mirage, hence his refusal to stand as Vice Presidential aspirant under Ribadu. I like Fashola, I like Ribadu but Tinubu is just too much of an ambitions fellow.

Read this:
http://www.leadershipnigeria.com/news/cover-stories/18692-ac-ticket-i-cant-be-ribadus-running-mate--fashola

You are the one doing that. Indications are that what Jonathan is attempting to do is highly unpopular like OBJ's third term project . Those who are genuinely detribalised and face reality will accept this . Positing that Jonathan "will be President from 2011 to 2015 and probably beyond!" is highly simplistic and parochial . Are you from the ND region? I ask because it seems as if it is only folks from that region that blindly support Jonathan currently while totally ignoring and failing to comment on the many highly questionable actions of Mr.President in his quest to achieve a divisive and opportunistic project.
Re: Pdp Caucus: Zoning Stays ! by Gbawe: 9:52am On Aug 11, 2010
na_so:

I cant fit laugh grin grin grin grin grin

My brother , I beg please laugh well well. We dey siddon look . Your boy Jonathan is turning more dictatorial everyday with how so much is being changed to accomodate his ambition . Glad to see you are not worried about this or how much of Nigeria's money is likely to be expended , in "cash and carry" Nigeria, to achieve 'project Jonathan'. The Reps confessed that OBJ 'settled them' with N50 million each yet our former President still failed to get a third term. Make we dey look dey go as you fans of Jonathan pretend to yourself that Jonathan is meritoriously popular above everyone else or that , minus the PDP , he can remain President in 2011.
Re: Pdp Caucus: Zoning Stays ! by Ofemmanu: 10:01am On Aug 11, 2010
Gbawe:

You are the one doing that. Indications are that what Jonathan is attempting to do is highly unpopular like OBJ's third term project . Those who are genuinely detribalised and face reality will accept this . Positing that Jonathan "will be President from 2011 to 2015 and probably beyond!" is highly simplistic and parochial . Are you from the ND region? I ask because it seems as if it is only folks from that region that blindly support Jonathan currently while totally ignoring and failing to comment on the many highly questionable actions of Jonathan in his quest to achieve a divisive and opportunistic project.
You are always right, this man named Jonathan has nothing to offer Nigerians. The period I came to my conclusion was when he forced Ogbulafor out of office on corruption allegations, and then went ahead to replace Ogbulafor with Okwesilieze Nwodo whose National ID card scam case is still in the ICPC files. With Nwodo's case still chilling in the ICPC freezer, Jonathan and OBJ can now use it to control him like a remote.
Re: Pdp Caucus: Zoning Stays ! by naso2(m): 10:04am On Aug 11, 2010
@Gbawe
You just dont like GEJ and I dont have a problem with that. What i struggle with are your reasons.

Like it or not it will be a straight fight between GEJ and Buhari.

Ribadu will only indirectly work for GEJ's good as he will help split northern votes. GEJ will contest under PDP, if he looses, so be it. But nobody can intimidate him by some one-sided analysis.
Re: Pdp Caucus: Zoning Stays ! by Gbawe: 10:05am On Aug 11, 2010
Akanbi_edu:

Zoning or No zoning, whichever way it goes, Nigeria will never remain the same in 2011. That I am sure.

Gbawe I personally want GEJ to contest the election so that we can have CHANGE. The current zoning setting of the PDP is their winning strategy. GEJ's ambition will bring CHANGE.

I want Jonathan to contest also but , if he is a true democrat , he will respect the will of the majority in his own Party to seek another political party to utilise for his ambition. Jonathan is acting just like OBJ. OBJ single-handledly , to achieve certain selfish objectives, transformed the PDP into a highly callous "cash and carry" Party where the will of the majority was continously subverted through dictatorial use of power and inducements . Jonathan is threading the same path . The sack of Ogbulafor , and the many changes being suggested as per the format of the primaries, should worry all Nigerians immensely . Na by force ? Na do or die ?

We all saw how OBJ , to the detriment of Nigeria, bullied everyone out of the way for Yar Adua in 2006. Who wants a repeat of this today? If Jonathan is a principled man , seeking the Presidency because he genuinely wants to make a difference and is secure in his own ability to be meritoriously elected, he will seek a new platform (like Donald Duke) rather than insist on the PDP where he will have no choice but to reproduce OBJ's anti-democratic tactics of 2006 to actualise a very difficult task . We know , from experience, that the most desperate politicians are always the worst politicians.
Re: Pdp Caucus: Zoning Stays ! by Nobody: 10:13am On Aug 11, 2010
PapaBrowne:

Read this:
so you think jonathan would win because AC is a yoruba party without national focus.did you know how AC survived when obj crippled the defunct AD,a major opposition and major party in the south west ?
fyi,AC has formed alliance with DPP and some smaller opposition parties to form a bigger party,Action congress of nigeria,the same way people's democratic movement,dominated by hausa merged with civil movement to form the pdp.what the AC need is to harmonised the success in lagos,edo and the winning spirit in ekiti and osun states in order to give the pdp a real fight in 2011
the problem is finding the right people with the right vision and ideas not people like Atiku who would only come to run under the party only to decamp to pdp later. .
Re: Pdp Caucus: Zoning Stays ! by Gbawe: 10:21am On Aug 11, 2010
na_so:

@Gbawe
You just dont like GEJ and I dont have a problem with that. What i struggle with are your reasons.

I have made my "reasons" clear many times . I would be interested to know why you dogmatically think that Jonathan is the man for the job when , daily , he is destroying the goodwill many had for him with desperate actions that show he is more a "do-or-die" Politician than the principled leader Nigeria badly needs !!! Is Ogbulafor , in your opinion, more corrupt than Nwodo? Any comments as per why the most progressive Nigerians who took to the Streets to demand Jonathan become acting President (while his new 'buddies' like Aondoakaa were busy working against that aspiration) now distance themselves from Jonathan's 2011 ambition?

Are you from the ND region? Please answer truthfully.

Like it or not it will be a straight fight between GEJ and Buhari.

Ribadu will only indirectly work for GEJ's good as he will help split northern votes. GEJ will contest under PDP, if he looses, so be it. But nobody can intimidate him by some one-sided analysis.

Simplistic. Incumbency is all Jonathan has even if some folks want to decieve Nigerians that Mr.President is "wildly popular" for doing Nada  grin. If he fails to clinch the PDP ticket then Jonathan is zero. That is why we are seeing Jonathan behaving so desperately .
Re: Pdp Caucus: Zoning Stays ! by Gbawe: 10:33am On Aug 11, 2010
Yoruba:

You are always right, this man named Jonathan has nothing to offer Nigerians. The period I came to my conclusion was when he forced Ogbulafor out of office on corruption allegations, and then went ahead to replace Ogbulafor with Okwesilieze Nwodo whose National ID card scam case is still in the ICPC files. With Nwodo's case still chilling in the ICPC freezer, Jonathan and OBJ can now use it to control him like a remote.

My brother , Jonathan's fans , mainly his clannish and narrow-minded kinsmen, will never comment on this . They can only see the scenario of an Ijaw man becoming President while they fail to understand that all indications show that this man , like Yar Adua , will take Nigeria backwards. It takes a lot for some to love Nigeria ahead of their region of origin. Nigerians should wonder why men who , especially in troubled times , have always stood up for all Nigerians (Soyinka, Falana, Col.Umar, Ken Nnamani, Balarabe Musa, et al) have shunned Jonathan while it is mainly the opportunist and 'Vultures' who are behind Mr.President .
Re: Pdp Caucus: Zoning Stays ! by xterra2(m): 2:00pm On Aug 11, 2010
PapaBrowne:

[b]Gbawe is here again!! Why are you always painting your wishes as realities?? Wake up already! Jonathan will be President from 2011 to 2015 and probably beyond! [/b]That will happen not only because Jonathan is quite popular in the country, but mainly because the opposition led by the AC cannot find it in itself to look beyond regional and personalized politics. AC continues to paint itself as a Yoruba party under the grips of King Tinubu.

Read this:
Yes Gbawe is here again! Glad you are here Gbawe and you are telling the truth
You are the one that needs to wake u cus this bad president would not be the president beyond 2011,
Re: Pdp Caucus: Zoning Stays ! by Beaf: 2:30pm On Aug 11, 2010
@Gbawe
What PDP has said is that if zoning must remain, then it must from the South South, so stop bouncing around in glee. grin
Daily trust is not a paper to that provides any degree of common sense, they are torn apart by deep tribalism. That paper has always been the vehicle of various threats against the stability of the country. I wonder why you regularly post from it? shocked

@topic
Zoning must to be totally removed from our politics. If PDP is doing this out of political exigency, then they must understand that they must bin zoning within the first year of Jonathans next term.
Re: Pdp Caucus: Zoning Stays ! by yeswecan(m): 2:54pm On Aug 11, 2010
Not again
Re: Pdp Caucus: Zoning Stays ! by miketobo: 6:30pm On Aug 12, 2010
How can PDP say zoning should remain but Jonathan should contest, Like ogbawe said OBJ is at work, Why cant Jonathan forget this presidency issue and conduct a free and fair elections for Nigerians? IF JONATHAN SHOULD CONTEST ALL THE GOVERNORS THAT DID NOT WORK WILL COME BACK, PDP WILL RIG AGAIN AND NIGERIA WILL REMAIN THE SAME FOR ANOTHER 4YRS, IMAGIN HIM BUYING PLANES AT THIS TIME WHEN NIGERIANS ARE SUFFERING!!!!!!
Re: Pdp Caucus: Zoning Stays ! by Gbawe: 7:26pm On Aug 12, 2010
miketobo:

How can PDP say zoning should remain but Jonathan should contest, Like ogbawe said OBJ is at work, Why cant Jonathan forget this presidency issue and conduct a free and fair elections for Nigerians? IF JONATHAN SHOULD CONTEST ALL THE GOVERNORS THAT DID NOT WORK WILL COME BACK, PDP WILL RIG AGAIN AND NIGERIA WILL REMAIN THE SAME FOR ANOTHER 4YRS, IMAGIN HIM BUYING PLANES AT THIS TIME WHEN NIGERIANS ARE SUFFERING!!!!!!

Indeed. indolent Criminals , like Jonathan's 'buddy' Alao-Akala, would 'win' power everywhere. Nigeria will be in trouble. Furthermore , it is obvious that the most grotesquely corrupt Nigerians have found their Messiah in Jonathan. They are flocking to him in droves . Even Aondoakaa is now Jonathan's 'pal'. In a time when the Prime Minister of relatively rich UK decides to fly on commercial airlines to empathise with British folks over the choking credit crunch , Jonathan is insensitively buying aircrafts for 23 billion Naira in a nation where 70% of folks live in poverty !!! Yet some , mainly bigots from the ND region, shun the disastrous and blatantly insensitive actions of Jonathan to proclaim that he is the man to lead us forward !!!!

Money is flowing out of our treasury irresponsibly under Jonathan in a sure sign that treasury looting will be the norm next year if Jonathan becomes President. Billions was insensitively approved for Nigeria's 50th celebration when a decent President will realise that an austere celebration is appropriate and in order since we really have nothing to celebrate .

Thieves , fraudsters and criminals recieved national honour under Jonathan . Our debt profile is about to go up to the tune of $4.4 billion to support the massive bribes to the 'establishment' required to achieve Jonathan's callous ambition while Mr. President lies that the money is required for "infrastructural development" . Now , Jonathan wan't to spend 23 billion Naira on the addition of three Planes to the Presidential fleet.

Jonathan's daily actions reveals a desperation to irresponsibly throw Nigeria's money at an unpopular project same as OBJ was looting everything lootable in Nigeria just to gain a third term in office. Nigeria will be in trouble if this man retains the Presidency in 2011 because he will be the direct stooge of the most corrupt and avaricious Nigerians alive  . His desperation for power , he cannot ordinarily win on merit , now sees him signing massive inducement cheques with ease. Nigerians should be highly worried .
Re: Pdp Caucus: Zoning Stays ! by heyma: 7:55pm On Aug 12, 2010
“When we were advocating for zoning, it was not because anyone had or has anything against our President Jonathan but we were advocating for zoning to maintain equity, justice and fair play in the country”

Babangida further stated that the idea of zoning, which has been causing uproar in the country in recent times, would only be complete after an Igbo man becomes the president of Nigeria in 2015.
“If we must make every one believe that he belongs to this country, then it is after an Igbo man has been given the opportunity of being president in 2015

As far as I am concerned Jonathan should not contest, He is stilll going to get his allowances and pensions as a former Nigerian civillian leader for the rest of his life; though he's still young and a Poitician he should conduct a credible election, look for a credible South easterner, endorse him or her like most incumbents do for thier parties all over the world, campaign for him or her, however, the election has to be credible.

Jonathan is not unqualfied to be Nigeria's president, But Nigeria has an issue to deal with.

Why can't IBB wait until after the Ibo man is president . Why should the Igbo man wait until after ibb2015.

Ugh na wa O, So we have to wait till 2015 before we make everyone to believe he belongs to this country, Whew, "Genius"! I didn't think of it that way, I thought a family or friends have to be united before they can move forward together as one or say everyone has to be made to beleve he belongs to this country first; then we can all power forward.

So basically in ibb "smartness" Keeping to the unwritten pdp agreeement and now to an illogical agitation of zoning to the North in 2011 on the basis of 2007 Northern presidency, which no one broke but God himself, leading to Jonathan presidency, Is superior to having Everyone feel he belongs to this country, In a country that wants to move forward, hmm interesting point there ibb.
[/b]

The Yar'Adua election was a sham in the first place, The South were not in favour or Northern return to Power(Amidst talks of Igbo Presidency and South-South Presidency) neither was anybody(significant majority) for Third term. So the idea that well if Yar adua was alive The South would have waited till 2015 anyway; is totally sickening and unserious.

The agitation for retention of Presidency in the South had even been before 2007 and it's reasons are still valid

Fact is this: Zoning is still a political reality in Nigeria.

, and In the Spirit of Equity, Fairness and Justice and indeed common sense.

An Igbo man should be President come 2011.

It is completly silly to Insist that Nigeria waits till 2015 before they can all see themselves as one country and finally put a closed end to the Civil War by having an Igbo man taking an Oath to defend and uphold the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria for all Nigerians
Indeed an Igbo man should be president come 2011.

The North cannot claim annihilation should someone from the South emerge president in 2011.

Sometimes I really ask myself what is all this talk all about. Isn't it about someone who is going to be President of Nigeria for all Nigerians? Or are you now going there to develop the North more than the South when it's your "turn"? If so should Nigeria be called a country? Should that word Nigera even exist? not to talk of it having a shape on the map.

True Zoning is definitely still a political reality in Nigeria and we have to accept it.

What the north however got to deal with is:

1. It is silly to insist that the pdp or any party zone the presidency to the North in 2011 on basis of 2007 presidency. pdp didn't zone it out of the North in the first place,God did, there is now a President from another Zone so dude? that cylce is over., deal with it.

2. The rotational Presidency or Zoning of Presidency if they insist on Northern Presidency in 2011 so that Nigerans can wait till 2019 or 2015 to be a united citizenry, then lets have it written down in Nigeria's constitution. The Zoning Issue has to be written down, formalized. It can always be amended whenever Nigerians agree by referendum, theys don't need it anymore.

Another Arguement is well the Ibo could have waited till 2015 anyway, well point 2 is for those that end up with this statement, that the ibo could have waited anyway so why not give it up to the North till 2015. Alternatvely, give it to Jonathan till 2015,, Nigeria still his it's wounds unhealed and limpng because the way I see it and as many do and ibb clearly does in this case, there's got to be a closed end to that 67 to 70 issue.

3. The North has to deal with the fact that after over 40 Years at the helm of affairs in an ethnicaly and religiously sensitive country like Nigeria, they've had their fair shair of governance and if they want and preach unity, they should vote and elect a southerner for President 2011.
It's already fair that Yar Adua was President in 2007, so they didn't have to live with more than 8 years of Southern rule.(In which I ask but the South had to deal with over 10 Years of unbrocken Northern rule in a cummulative over 40 years Northern rule in the country's history which nevertheless I ask myself agan even though Zoning is a reality , Southern rule or Northern, Isn't the person supposed to be for all Nigerians? , and In the reaity of Zoning shouldn't you be in favour of it to move to Zones it's never been before and be happy that everyone is feeling a sense of belonging and see the benefit that you become stronger the more united you are?

The North will come closer to the unity which they crave for, shoud they vote and elect a southern candidate to president come 2011.

Goodluck Jonathan,, Grin I like that man,, his case is that of , yea "Goodluck" through to his assension to power, he has shown he can bring in a new style of progressiveness, whether he is the GEJ or not on facebook; he said it himself in Portharcourt he was going to open an account.The frequent update shows, yea a new style and someone that could have or has some respect for Public perception and Psyching.

Though I do not know what his accomplishments are so far? I can say that the success of the Amnesty Programe in the Niger delta is part of his; He is President now and was part of Yar Adua's Government as VP.

However 2011 is not a continuity of the Jonathan Presidency,, No; This tenure ends at 11:59 am on May 29 2011.

By then he would have had a full year as President of Nigeria. (I'm excluding his time as Acting President).

But as I said 2011 Is not a continuity of the Jonathan Presidency, This tenure ends on May 29 2011. That cycle is over.

The new cycle has to begin with the person with the least number of time as Chief Executive of Government and Commader in Chief and that is the South-East with 6 months and not the person who's been at the helm of affairs for over 30 Years.

I am happy someone from the south south got to be president. Elected or Assended.

He and we have to live with the reality of Zoning. Clearly as he and we all know it was Zoning that brought him to VP ; AP and now he is President.

It is not about continuity, Continuity cannot be an arguement here because pdp has been in power for over 10 years but there's no electricity.
So continuity is not an arguement here.

There's something that's been holding us back,from starting not to talk of continuing, which is the Hi 5 from one person so that the team can work happily together and face their challenges stronger and better.
An that is the Igbo Presidency. The Civil war generation in particularly bear a stronger grudge against Nigeria and Nigeria holds a similar measure to them (In form of mistrust and exclusion from the Presidency)

, and it's naive to totally exclude a huge and highly signficant chunk, the Igbo peope from key decision makng mechanisms and ulimately the presidency.

Oh someone agrees that there's got to be an Igbo president to put a closed end to the civil war and for all Nigerians to feel a sense of belonging but No,, ehhmmm lets wait till 2019 or 2015.

No one can say the the South-South has not been brought to the main stream politics, well yea with one year presidency Yes.Aguiyi Ironsi only had six Months, though again regards South-South there'd be difficulty to claim that Jonathan represents the South-South globally where there is the Edo man and the Calabar Man and many others.
The issue with the South-South is more of fair share of it's resources (short of complete resource control) and Enviromental protection than it is about Jonathan Presidency.

Totally different from the Issues with the South-East which is mainly Structural units/Structure of Nigeria and it's Powers as well as the need for Nigeria to resolve it's issue with the South-East and the South-East resolve it's issue with Nigeria.

Nigeria needs to heal it's old wound,, it's still there and that's why Nigeria is limping and they want to talk of continuity in limping or prolong the pain till 2019 or whatever but definitely not at the next doctor's appointment.

Oh yea I can still walk and I can run(though I never won a championship) that wound really doesn't hurt that much,, Sometimes it itches strongly(with cries of marginalization, non appointments, presidency, fairness, MASSOB, seccession, it's flag, it's currency, this and that), but I just don't think I should take a pain reliever yet not to talk of see a Doctor.

Well don't you think you should be well and healthy to get on that 100meter race track with Brasil and South Africa or yeaaa! 2020 20 we are going to be on the same dinning table with the U.S A, By the way 2020 is just ten years away, and I'm sure with the wounds Nigeria has and Atiku, IBB, Shekarou or all three Nigeria will get there. just with the same happiness and success we did from Obasanjo-Yar Adua pdp limping with it's old wound 1999 till 2009.

I am happy we've had a Yoruba man as President, it in no small measure healed June 12 wound very fast enough to move forward., By the way June 12 was more of an all Nigeria issue than it was a yoruba issue, but yea the special country Nigera gets almost everything ethincally twisted.

I am happy Jonathan is now President, I don't know if the Calabar or Edo man is; whose Zone he comes from, For the South Southerner who see's zoning as a reality.
Yea it is a reality for today's Nigeria.

As far as I am concerned Jonathan should not contest, He is stilll going to get his allowances and pensions as a former Nigerian civillian leader for the rest of his life; though he's still young and a Poitician he should conduct a credible election, look for a credible South easterner, endorse him or her like most incumbents do for thier parties all over the world, campaign for him or her, however, the election has to be credible.

Jonathan is not unqualfied to be Nigeria's president, But Nigeria has an issue to deal with.

Fact is, Ekwueme ought to have been president, based on the NPN's calculations in the Shagari administration, this was to bring an end closesure to the civil war, In fact much earlier there was already permutatiions for it to be in 1979 with Azikiwe.
But every calculatiion was either jettisoned, postponed or overrun by events such as the June 12 (that created a new wound or poliical problem) or the MEND activities(that brought arms struggle with the Federal Government).

But the old wound and argueably the deepest and strongest, a war that had millions dead, executed Rwandan and Dafur style, for 3 years. has still not been brouhgt to that end closure the day the guy that prayed all hail biafra screams all hail Nigeria.

I know people that say ughhh why do somepeople always go back to the past instead of moving forward ughh,,, that is exactly the problem,, And it's for such peope to live in the political reality of the stage of advancement of the country Nigeria and to show that they do by lettng their wounds heal, I wonder how you intend to move forward with the mosquitoe bite you had if you don't scratch or rub your skin it to ease of that itchng (Yes some tell you not to scratch or rub it due to inflammation but then it gets TREATED wth medication). Allow the Igbo man lead Nigeria,, It's NOT a plea, it's just the same way it happend in 1999 and the way it has been happening in all of Nigeria's history,

, And I know some people say ugh I don't care where the president comes from let the best be the president. Sure Mr. or Mrs Intelligent sounding man or woman. I don't know which harvard campus you attend Smiley but the reality of todays Nigeria is Zoning.
The Senate Presidency is Zoned , so is the Deputy,, House of Rep. e.t.c So where the person comes from matters for the poltics
[/b]
and that's the Nigerian reallity today. That statement sounds like someone who is anti-zoning, uninvolved politics follower, an out right pro northern establishment poltical follower (because he or she enjoys the status quo and knows the leverage the northern block has but doesn't see the dangers in it)

If such people are not for zoning then undo the last "mistake Nigeria made",, by zoning the pdp chairmanship election to the South East.

And by the way of course we all hope for the best person to emerge, whether you are for zoning or against zoning, whether you see zoning as a poltical reality for Nigeria's present political age or not; wherever it's zoned to, let the best emerge and work for all Nigeria.

Live with it or not, this present structure cannot produce any president from the any Southern Zone alone. The North with it's monolthic nature covers 19 States as a block, they also can't produce the president on their own but wait there! Should any election go into run offs it's aways going to be a Northern win even in the most free and fair election. (What Governors and politicians generally abhor of the incumbent president is the use of EFCC and Anti Corruption charges to twist their arms(To submit to the incumbent with ther states/ followership, other wise they'd just vote predominantly ethnic as long as the choices are there)

MKO Abiola had great wealth but was a complete nobody for the elections, if he wasn't backed by large Northern elements in Jos Convention. , and that was because the large number of Known Notherners were banned, by Babangida in the previous election(With Adamu Ciroma , Umaru Shinkafi and the Musa Yar Adua leading)

it is either people and the North do the fair, just, and equitable thing or people and the North might be forced to do so someday (War/Arms struggle, Violence) . (I distinguish bet. people and North here because I understand the leverage the North has. Northerners are also people, , so shut up Smiley )

Biafra was truly Ibo, Eastern Ijaw, Efik , Ibibio e.t.c together, but it was lead by the Ibo and when you talk of Biafra you think of Ibo when u think of Nigerain Civil war you remember Ibo, hardly does it occur to you that there were other ethnic groups involved.

it's high time peope started thinking of Ibo as not anti Nigerian and Igbo people start thinking of Nigeria as no anti Ibo.

Don't ask me which Ibo man or woman can be president, You can find that out anywhere, I can be President, You(if you are Ibo and believe you can) can also be president, So can numerous people, I do not know of any perfect politician, Is Barack Obama, David Cameron or Gorden Brown one?

Then in no order of preference Utomi is, Anyaoku is , Soludo is, Okonjo Iweala is, Even Bart Nnaji is , If Jonathan or Yar Adua were one, going by Nigeria's tradition of having previous Governors into Presidency, then Sullivan Chime is.

Infact the list goes on and on, Oby Ezekwesili can be president, Ogbonaya Onu can be President, Ekweremmadu can be president, Akunyili can be president; So can many other people you never heard of, who was Barack Obama the politician before he became President Barack Obama.

Just imagine someone from Enugu State house of Assembly coming out to become President of Nigeria, that was Obama.

I know Nigeria has more issues other than Presidency, but as Chinua Achebe said and is widely quoted the problem with Nigeria is squarely and roundly a problem of leadership.

au revoir.
Re: Pdp Caucus: Zoning Stays ! by Gbawe: 10:35am On Aug 13, 2010
Beaf:

@Gbawe
What PDP has said is that if zoning must remain, then it must from the South South, so stop bouncing around in glee. grin

With your shameless attempt at deciet , you are showing you are an ethnic bigot. You falsify informaton with ease to support your position. The PDP , gang of criminals that it is, did not "zone the Presidency to the South South" as you assert. Everyone, other than yourself, understand that the PDP (Pure Desperado Party) is saying that zoning remains but Jonathan is allowed to complete the ticket he gained with a Northerner who is now deceased .

It is easy for Nairalanders to see you you for what you are : a local champion that will defend what should not be defended because you only see issues from a regional perspective. It is funny how you hastily go around this forum maligning the ACN party yet you fail to criticise the biggest enemy of Nigeria's progress ( the PDP) simply because your kinsman wants to run on its rigging platform. You are very transparent as an ethnic bigot who will always place regional consideration ahead of what is best for Nigeria.

http://www.dailytrust.com/dailytrust/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1111:pdp-exco-okays-zoning&catid=2:lead-stories&Itemid=8

PDP exco okays zoning Friday,

13 August 2010 00:00 Muideen Olaniyi

The People’s Democratic Party (PDP) yesterday agreed to retain its power rotation policy but said President Goodluck Jonathan could choose to stand for election next year as a continuation of his joint ticket with the late President Umaru Yar’adua.
The 52nd meeting of the National Executive Committee (NEC) of the party, held in Abuja, also gave the go-ahead to other aspirants from all the geo-political zones to contest in the presidential primaries.
Re: Pdp Caucus: Zoning Stays ! by omofat: 10:51am On Aug 13, 2010
@Gbawe - I dont really get your point.

Why can't Jonathan compete? - The nigerian constitution allows him to. No?
Obj wanted to change the federal constitution. Not the same thing.

If pdp dont like him, they can run someone against him in the party primary, no?
And if he's as unpopular as you say, then he will lose the primary and someone else will be the party's flag bearer.

So what's the problem really ?
Re: Pdp Caucus: Zoning Stays ! by nduchucks: 11:10am On Aug 13, 2010
Jonathan, Jonathan, Jonathan Goodluck!! How many times I call ya name??

This PDP rotation agreement gave us OBJ from the south, then Yar'Adua (RIP) from the North. Now Jonathan wants to complete the remaining 5 year term alloteds to the North, ko??

When the power shifts to the South in 2015 (assuming that other parties do not get their acts together), with a southerner as President and a Northerner as his vice, let's hope you people will exhibit the kind of understanding you are giving to Jonathan, when the President from the South suddenly dies (mysteriously or otherwise) and the Northern vice president claims the right to finish the terms of that presidency (all 8 years).

Jonathan should do the honourable thing. olodo
Re: Pdp Caucus: Zoning Stays ! by Beaf: 11:11am On Aug 13, 2010
omo~fat:

If pdp dont like him, they can run someone against him in the party primary, no?
And if he's as unpopular as you say, then he will lose the primary and someone else will be the party's flag bearer.

If you look carefully through his posts, you will perceive the thinly veiled pungent odour of a tribalist. Look carefully. grin
Re: Pdp Caucus: Zoning Stays ! by Gbawe: 12:08pm On Aug 13, 2010
omo~fat:

The Nigerian constitution may allow Jonathan to contest but the PDP constitution does not allow him to contest !!! As the head of the PDP Party , is Jonathan , if he is not a man without integrity , not bound to honour a constitutionally recognised consideration of his own Party he has benefitted from ? If jonathan is principled , why not leave the Party to find another platform as Donald Duke has done ?

Look at how much partisan legislature, specifically attempting to aid Jonathan's ambition unfairly, is being touted   while pertinent legislature , that will give rise to free and fair elections, is totally ignored to understand  that Jonathan is nothing but a "do-or-die" Politician who will do anything to gain power.

I too want Jonathan to run so that zoning is destroyed but why must the entire PDP change for the ambition of one man if that man believes that he will conduct free and fair elections that should meritoriously convince Nigerians to vote for him on any platform ? Why promote so much rancour , disunity and potential blood-spilling  if you believe that , on any platform, Nigerians will vote for you ?

Even if many of us are against it , does it not worry you that Jonathan is behaving dictatorially (eg the removal of Ogbulafor) to force his candicacy on a Party that ,without dispute,  allowed zoning in its constitution until Yar Adua died and Jonathan , egged on by the looters of Nigeria , took up an opportunist ambtion against a policy (zoning) he has benefited from?

What I am saying is simple. Jonathan should run without attempting at the last minute , and against a lot of opposition, to change what is in the PDP constitution.  What jonathan is attempting to do will involve 'greasing a lot of palms' (like OBJ's third term ) with Nigeria's money !!! Does that not worry you ? Donald Duke has bravely done what Jonathan is failing to do (leave the PDP) because , right or wrong , Duke believes he can sell himself to Nigerians rather than buy victory as Jonathan is attempting to do via using his position unfairly (as OBJ did) as the controller of the purse of Nigeria.
Re: Pdp Caucus: Zoning Stays ! by Gbawe: 12:13pm On Aug 13, 2010
Beaf:

If you look carefully through his posts, you will perceive the thinly veiled pungent odour of a tribalist. Look carefully. grin

You are daily degenerating , more and more , into a decietful clown because of your blindly ridiculous support of Jonathan . A Yoruba man who supports Ribadu, Buhari , Donald Duke is a "tribalist" while a Niger Deltan (Mr. Beaf) who blindly supports another Niger Deltan( Goodluck Jonathan) in the face of undeniably questionable conduct by the office of the Presidency now accuses others of tribalism?

I cannot even call you a Joker .  That would be too kind.
Re: Pdp Caucus: Zoning Stays ! by Dede1(m): 1:07pm On Aug 13, 2010
Wallowing in emotional rather than critical thoughts is major problem among Africans in general and Nigerians in particular.  Many right-thinking PDP stalwarts had repeatedly informed the Nigerians that zoning of political offices in Nigeria is common stay in the party’s constitution. It is both idiots such as Obasanjo and certain youth organizations that can not read and apparently disingenuous. Obasanjo and his cohorts do not mean well for Nigeria.

The statement released by the PDP about its zoning principles is not ambiguous. The PDP caucus had invoked section 7.2 (c) of the party’s constitution as evidence that zoning stays. When the party says Goodluck E. Jonathan can run for electable office despite the PDP zoning does not mean Jonathan has to run under PDP platform. It just means that PDP is sticking to the acceptable zoning formula. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan could either run as independent if such provision existed in the section of Nigerian constitution which governs politicking in the country or opt for another political party.
Re: Pdp Caucus: Zoning Stays ! by Gbawe: 1:23pm On Aug 13, 2010
Dede1:

Wallowing in emotional rather than critical thoughts is major problem among Africans in general and Nigerians in particular. Many right-thinking PDP stalwarts had repeatedly informed the Nigerians that zoning of political offices in Nigeria is common stay in the party’s constitution. It is both idiots such as Obasanjo and certain youth organizations that can not read and apparently disingenuous. Obasanjo and his cohorts do not mean well for Nigeria.

The statement released by the PDP about its zoning principles is not ambiguous. The PDP caucus had invoked section 7.2 (c) of the party’s constitution as evidence that zoning stays. When the party says Goodluck E. Jonathan can run for electable office despite the PDP zoning does not mean Jonathan has to run under PDP platform. It just means that PDP is sticking to the acceptable zoning formula. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan could either run as independent if such provision existed in the section of Nigerian constitution which governs politicking in the country or opt for another political party.

Indeed. that Jonathan is doing everything in attempting to change the rules in the middle of the game is proof that he is being led by "do-or-die" elements who only believe in rigging , like OBJ , to ensure he emerges the candidate of the "rigging machine". If Jonathan believes in his own sagacity and ability to win Nigerians over he will abide by PDP rules to do precisely what Donald Duke has done .
Re: Pdp Caucus: Zoning Stays ! by Beaf: 1:36pm On Aug 13, 2010
Gbawe:

You are daily degenerating , more and more , into a decietful clown because of your blindly ridiculous support of Jonathan . A Yoruba man who supports Ribadu, Buhari , Donald Duke is a "tribalist" while a Niger Deltan (Mr. Beaf) who blindly supports another Niger Deltan( Goodluck Jonathan) in the face of undeniably questionable conduct by the office of the Presidency now accuses others of tribalism?

I cannot even call you a Joker . That would be too kind.

Hmmmm! Do you really support those people? shocked
It is quite clear that you are a Babangida-Atiku guy. Why else are you so pro-zoning? Are Ribadu, Buhari and Donald Duke in PDP? If your answer is no, then it makes your case all the more curious, because I can bet that you have singlehandedly accounted for at a least 50% of all pro-zoning articles in the past 4 or 5 weeks.
Re: Pdp Caucus: Zoning Stays ! by EzeUche22(m): 1:43pm On Aug 13, 2010
I don't believe any of this nonsense.
Re: Pdp Caucus: Zoning Stays ! by Gbawe: 3:08pm On Aug 13, 2010
Beaf:

Hmmmm! Do you really support those people? shocked
It is quite clear that you are a Babangida-Atiku guy. Why else are you so pro-zoning? Are Ribadu, Buhari and Donald Duke in PDP? If your answer is no, then it makes your case all the more curious, because I can bet that you have singlehandedly accounted for at a least 50% of all pro-zoning articles in the past 4 or 5 weeks.

I have made it clear that , personally , I do not support zoning . As a principled person I respect the notion that others can run their house as they want . If the PDP has decided to adopt zoning to the extent of including it in the Party's constituion why not ponder on the lack of honour and integrity that makes Jonathan embrace dictatorial behaviour (the removal of Ogbulafor for another Mercenary) and other arm-twisting actions when Mr. President can simply run on the platform of another Party or as an Independent candidate ?

Why does Jonathan not behave like Duke if he genuinely believes he can win on merit?  Like Mikeansy said, you are not patriotic or unpatriotic just because of your stance on zoning . I don't back zoning but we all see that the PDP members do and this is why they voted to keep zoning in the Parties constitution. With Jonathan showing that he does not respect constitutional considerations he is privvy to and has benefitted from , then we gain a hint of how he will lead Nigeria without integrity and steadfast beliefs. Nigeria has had enough of OBJ's style of lawlessness and arbitary changing of the rules to suit parochial interests. Jonathan , if he is a democrat , should begin his attempt to lead Nigeria by adherring to the constitution of his own Political Party.
Re: Pdp Caucus: Zoning Stays ! by Beaf: 3:19pm On Aug 13, 2010
Gbawe:

. . .I don't back zoning but we all see that the PDP members do and this is why they voted to keep zoning in the Parties constitution. With Jonathan showing that he does not respect constitutional considerations he is privvy to and has benefitted from , then we gain a hint of how he will lead Nigeria without integrity and steadfast beliefs. Nigeria has had enough of OBJ's style of lawlessness and arbitary changing of the rules to suit parochial interests. Jonathan , if he is a democrat , should begin his attempt to lead Nigeria by adherring to the constitution of his own Political Party.

This is strange. So while being a card carrying member of the PDP, you have actually volunteered yourself to a PDP faction. Why are you more loyal to the PDP "constitution" than real PDP members? Any secrets to share?
Why are you pro=zoning when a large proportion PDP faithfuls are anti-zoning?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Zones That Have Produced Nigeria's Head Of State / Over A Million Nigerians Will Die If Nyos Dam Should Collapse Says NEMA / Experimental Ebola Drug Which Has Helped Stabilise US Doctor Is Sent To Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 165
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.