Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,012 members, 7,817,985 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:46 AM

Phil Masinga Dies Aged 49! - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Phil Masinga Dies Aged 49! (17907 Views)

WWE Legend Bray Wyatt Dies Aged 36 As Triple H Leads Tribute To Pioneer / World Cup: England Coach Phil Neville Blasts Cameroon Team Over Crying In Match / Phil Neville: Paul Pogba Is The Best Midfielder In Europe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Phil Masinga Dies Aged 49! by Sportdab(m): 11:18am On Jan 13, 2019
Former club of Phil Masinga Leeds United have confirmed the South African striker has died aged 49.

Masinga played in the Premier League for two years at Leeds after joining from Mamelodi Sundowns in 1994.

In a statement on Twitter today, Leeds wrote: "It is with great sadness that the club haslearnt of former striker Phil Masinga's passing. The thoughts of everyone at #LUFC are with his family and friends."

SAFA President Dr Danny Jordaan said: “Sad day for South African football.

“A loyal servant of the game, on and off the field of play.”

Buddha Mathathe‚ the president of the South African Masters and Legend Football Association, said: "He is gone. Our legend is gone…….It is not right.

“It is such tragic loss for the family and for the entire country.

“He is no ordinary legend‚ he was an international legend.”

Masinga was battling an illness and his passing has been announced today.

He was just 49 and played for Leeds as astriker between 1994-96.

MySportDab report he joined from Mamelodi Sundowns and left for St. Gallen while also picking up 58caps for South Africa, scoring 18 goals.

See more;https://www.mysportdab.com/2019/01/former-leeds-and-south-africa-striker.html

Re: Phil Masinga Dies Aged 49! by hisexcellency34: 3:07pm On Jan 13, 2019
Legend. May his soul Rest in Peace. Our thoughts to his family and the good people of South Africa

3 Likes

Re: Phil Masinga Dies Aged 49! by Trustme2(m): 3:07pm On Jan 13, 2019
hisexcellency34:
Legend. May his soul Rest in Peace. Our thoughts to his family and the good people of South Africa
Bros where the paper of the land wey you steal so? grin grin grin
Re: Phil Masinga Dies Aged 49! by Sirsinzu(m): 3:07pm On Jan 13, 2019
Rip legend
Re: Phil Masinga Dies Aged 49! by Ibcrown(m): 3:07pm On Jan 13, 2019
Rip man at least u chop football money before u pass on
Re: Phil Masinga Dies Aged 49! by tgmservice: 3:08pm On Jan 13, 2019
RIP

Its been a long day without you my friend and i tell u all about it when i see you again
Re: Phil Masinga Dies Aged 49! by Trustme2(m): 3:08pm On Jan 13, 2019
[quote author=Trustme2 post=74723204]K[/quot RIP
Re: Phil Masinga Dies Aged 49! by Emmzy201(m): 3:08pm On Jan 13, 2019
C
Re: Phil Masinga Dies Aged 49! by Nobody: 3:09pm On Jan 13, 2019
Did you say South Africa ?

Na hiv kill am sad

2 Likes

Re: Phil Masinga Dies Aged 49! by ilohvictor(m): 3:11pm On Jan 13, 2019
just me

1 Like

Re: Phil Masinga Dies Aged 49! by nepapole(m): 3:12pm On Jan 13, 2019
Eeya

1 Like

Re: Phil Masinga Dies Aged 49! by Dacronym(m): 3:15pm On Jan 13, 2019
Despite being in good shape and Most likely good diet
Nothing is Certainly Certain at all

1 Like

Re: Phil Masinga Dies Aged 49! by GavelSlam: 3:18pm On Jan 13, 2019
Great player he was.

May his soul rest in peace.
Re: Phil Masinga Dies Aged 49! by Nobody: 3:30pm On Jan 13, 2019
That's the only thing certain for man. Death. It is only the beginning. Not to be feared. RIP.
Re: Phil Masinga Dies Aged 49! by KingOfAllIgbos: 3:39pm On Jan 13, 2019
Man! I am an ancestor.

I actually watched Pep Guardiola, Luis Enrique, Ronald Koeman when they were players

RIP Phil. I would be surprised if people here know him. Just a few folks like naptu2 or obafemee and GavelSlam

7 Likes

Re: Phil Masinga Dies Aged 49! by enomakos(m): 3:42pm On Jan 13, 2019
rest in peace masinga

a great striker in his day

One of the heros of south Africa 96 AFCON
Re: Phil Masinga Dies Aged 49! by enomakos(m): 3:45pm On Jan 13, 2019
KingOfAllIgbos:
Man! I am an ancestor.

I actually watched Pep Guardiola, Luis Enrique, Ronald Koeman when they were players

RIP Philip. I would be surprised if people here know him. Just a few folks like naptu2 or obafemee and GavelSlam
i watch him play live at leeds and south Africa 96
Re: Phil Masinga Dies Aged 49! by naptu2: 3:45pm On Jan 13, 2019
KingOfAllIgbos:
Man! I am an ancestor.

RIP Philip. I would be surprised if people here know him. Just a few folks like naptu2 or obafemee and GavelSlam

He was my favourite South African player at that time (but most of the people around me preferred Mark Williams).

Yekini, Yeboah, Masinga

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxbBpzBul6E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJxv-f_fn8E

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Phil Masinga Dies Aged 49! by KingOfAllIgbos: 3:49pm On Jan 13, 2019
enomakos:
i watch him play live at led and south Africa 96

I love old school connoisseurs of football.

Very unlike those who jumped on the EPL craze in the early 2000s

2 Likes

Re: Phil Masinga Dies Aged 49! by enomakos(m): 3:53pm On Jan 13, 2019
KingOfAllIgbos:

I love old school connoisseurs of football.

Very unlike those who jumped on the EPL craze in the early 2000s
i agreed
Re: Phil Masinga Dies Aged 49! by femi4: 3:56pm On Jan 13, 2019
Phil Masinga....oh one of the best of 96 cult hero

Fish, moshoeu, Mark Williams, Bartlett....great squard

2 Likes

Re: Phil Masinga Dies Aged 49! by KingOfAllIgbos: 4:01pm On Jan 13, 2019
enomakos:
i agreed

Yes ...and i am paying homage to you as Emeritus of good football
Re: Phil Masinga Dies Aged 49! by Sweetguy25: 4:08pm On Jan 13, 2019
If you played winning eleven four on Ps1 you will know him.

3 Likes

Re: Phil Masinga Dies Aged 49! by Nobody: 4:09pm On Jan 13, 2019
Dude scored the goal that took the Bafana Bafana to their first ever Fifa World Cup in France.
May his soul RIP

1 Like

Re: Phil Masinga Dies Aged 49! by enomakos(m): 4:20pm On Jan 13, 2019
naptu2:

He was my favourite South African player at that time (but most of the people around me preferred Mark Williams).

Yekini, Yeboah, Masinga

M

I think john shoe was way better than mark
Re: Phil Masinga Dies Aged 49! by enomakos(m): 4:22pm On Jan 13, 2019
KingOfAllIgbos:

Yes ...and i am paying homage to you as Emeritus of good football
Thanks bro

It is sad both Philemon and moshoeu died at the same age 49

4 Likes

Re: Phil Masinga Dies Aged 49! by Marotzke(m): 4:40pm On Jan 13, 2019
naptu2:

Yekini, Yeboah, Masinga

And you never heard his famous quote that made the front pages of complete foot and ISR (international soccer review ) magazines; " I have no respect for Nigerian football " 1995?

1 Like

Re: Phil Masinga Dies Aged 49! by naptu2: 4:56pm On Jan 13, 2019
Marotzke:
And you never heard his famous quote that made the front pages of complete foot and ISR (international soccer review ) magazines; " I have no respect for Nigerian football " 1995?

Quite understandable. There was a lot of banter back then (I remember it very well).

The South Africans were boasting before we played them in October 1992, so I was very happy when we trashed them 4-0 in Lagos (that victory helped me overcome tremendous grief).

I was quite upset with the Nigerian media when they seemed to support the South Africans in the return leg. The match ended 0-0, but a perfectly good goal by Yekini was disallowed. Furthermore, the Eagles played at the FNB Stadium without any preparation for the high altitude and Stephen Keshi said that he thought that he was going to die because he couldn't breathe (he said the game reminded him of Samuel Okwaraji).

The South Africans were boasting and they felt happy that they had held Nigeria to a draw. Some of their journalists said that our coach (Westerhof) talks too much and the Nigerian media supported them. It seemed crazy to me because we flogged them 4-0 here and drew at their home ground, so I couldn't understand what they were boasting about.

Then, after the South Africans won the Nations Cup in 1996, many Nigerians said that the only reason that South Africa won the cup was because Nigeria was absent. This statement hurt quite a lot of South Africans.

Then Nigeria played South Africa at the Nations Cup in Lagos in 2000 and the South Africans engaged in a lot of gamesmanship before the game. First, they rejected Eko Hotel and demanded that they should be lodged in the same hotel that the Eagles were in, so the NFA lodged them at Sheraton Hotel. Then the South African players waited for the Eagles by the elevator and were posturing in front of them (like they were trying to intimidate them). Lucas Radebe also said something similar to what Masinga said. In an interview on radio (I think he spoke to Larry Izamuje) he said that they would beat the Eagles, that the Eagles weren't that good, etc. But he said that he had a lot of respect for the Lagos crowd, that he knows that the fans in Lagos love good football and that he hopes they'll support Bafana Bafana, rather than the Eagles.

I was so happy when we beat them.

However, I feel that it was all just football banter and it hasn't changed my view that Masinga and Radebe were both very good and entertaining footballers.

6 Likes

Re: Phil Masinga Dies Aged 49! by Baroba(m): 5:51pm On Jan 13, 2019
KingOfAllIgbos:
Man! I am an ancestor.

RIP Phil. I would be surprised if people here know him. Just a few folks like naptu2 or obafemee and GavelSlam

Your ancestorship no reach my own, I remember Maradona, Ruud Guilt, Van Basten, Zico, Glen hoddle as players..

Phil Masinga, watched him during his time at Leeds, may his soul RIP

3 Likes

Re: Phil Masinga Dies Aged 49! by Jarus(m): 5:53pm On Jan 13, 2019
KingOfAllIgbos:
Man! I am an ancestor.

Phil Masinga of the golden generation of South African football 1996-1998.

Mark Fish, Lucas Radebe, Doctor Khumalo and others.

They ruled while Nigeria was away. Nigeria returned in 2000 and we settled the matter in QF of AFCON 2000 with 2 goals from Tijani Babangida.

6 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pictures From The 2014 Nigeria Federation Cup Final Enyimba Fc 2 Vs Dolphin Fc 1 / John Fashanu Rubbishes Interest Claim From Fan, Says It's Unfounded! / Pictures From Super Eagles Last Training Session In Uyo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.