Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,782 members, 7,810,043 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:12 PM

Buhari Suspends CJN Walter Onnoghen, Appoints Tanko Muhammed As Acting CJN - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Suspends CJN Walter Onnoghen, Appoints Tanko Muhammed As Acting CJN (56333 Views)

EFCC Raids Walter Onnoghen's House In Abuja / Photo: President Buhari And CJN Walter Onnoghen At Armed Forces Remembrance Day / Court Stops FG From Trying Walter Onnoghen, CJN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari Suspends CJN Walter Onnoghen, Appoints Tanko Muhammed As Acting CJN by Nobody: 6:12pm On Jan 25, 2019
Excelboi:
He doesnt't except it is a recommendation of the NJC and two-third of the senate has to pass a vote for such removal.

Section 292 of the CFRN 1999. -
(1) A judicial officer shall not be removed from his office or appointment before his age of retirement except in the following circumstances:-
(a) in the case of:-
(i) Chief Justice of Nigeria, President of the Court of Appeal, Chief of Judge of the Federal High Court, Chief Judge of the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, Grand Kadi of the Sharia Abuja and President, Customary Court of Appeal of the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, by the President acting on an address supported by two-thirds majority of the Senate.
(ii) Chief Judge of a State, Grand Kadi of a Sharia Court of Appeal or President of a Customary Court of

Your entire argument is null and void. HE WAS NOT REMOVED! HE WAS SUSPENDED!

LET THAT SINK IN.

Your argument only stands in the case of a removal and not suspension

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Suspends CJN Walter Onnoghen, Appoints Tanko Muhammed As Acting CJN by rusher14: 6:12pm On Jan 25, 2019
rexwalters:
He should try and go near his former office the Supreme Court on monday and you will see what will happen to him.

cheesy

Even cheque books he forgot?
Re: Buhari Suspends CJN Walter Onnoghen, Appoints Tanko Muhammed As Acting CJN by phase1: 6:12pm On Jan 25, 2019
I like to see the dullard desperate. He knows what is about to hit him next month. grin
Re: Buhari Suspends CJN Walter Onnoghen, Appoints Tanko Muhammed As Acting CJN by MT: 6:12pm On Jan 25, 2019
There's a precedence. Jonathan "suspended" Ayo Salami. Jonathan "suspended" Lamido Sanusi. The keyword here is "suspend". Buhari got it spot on!. His decision in this regard can't be challenged or upturned.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Suspends CJN Walter Onnoghen, Appoints Tanko Muhammed As Acting CJN by wirinet(m): 6:12pm On Jan 25, 2019
onmyowncj:
I thought buharri is not aware of the allegation against cjn,now he buharri suspended cjn himself as he learned cjn was going to swear in election petition tribunal tomorrow,buharry has conquered Nigeria,I will not be surprised if Nigeria becomes an Islamic state tomorrow,Bleep Nigeria

What has Islamic state go to do with the issue at hand?
Re: Buhari Suspends CJN Walter Onnoghen, Appoints Tanko Muhammed As Acting CJN by Nobody: 6:12pm On Jan 25, 2019
Finally. A fulani man has come to do the APC bidding. Now I have been vindicated. Rigging plans activated. I guessed Buhari claimed he did not know anything about the Onoghen's ordeal? Nigerians, watch out for more dramas as the unfold. This man called buhari is so desperate. The world is watching.
Re: Buhari Suspends CJN Walter Onnoghen, Appoints Tanko Muhammed As Acting CJN by yetunsbay(m): 6:13pm On Jan 25, 2019
I luv this game
Re: Buhari Suspends CJN Walter Onnoghen, Appoints Tanko Muhammed As Acting CJN by sleemomymy: 6:13pm On Jan 25, 2019
BABA I LOVE YOU. WHERE DID YOU PUT ALL THIS ACTION BEFORE. NEXT LEVEL PLEASE.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Suspends CJN Walter Onnoghen, Appoints Tanko Muhammed As Acting CJN by opeoluwa20(m): 6:13pm On Jan 25, 2019
type in ibo pls
nkwuocha:

But did he actually take that eat poison as alleged?
Re: Buhari Suspends CJN Walter Onnoghen, Appoints Tanko Muhammed As Acting CJN by OKOOMOGE: 6:13pm On Jan 25, 2019
who else love Buhari from Sudan. Because I do!

1 Like

Re: Buhari Suspends CJN Walter Onnoghen, Appoints Tanko Muhammed As Acting CJN by firstolalekan(m): 6:16pm On Jan 25, 2019
deboysben:
Nigeria will boil if it comes out to be true

But buhari doesn't have such power

It will still be reverse cos there is no due process
LOL

Keep fooling yourself grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Buhari Suspends CJN Walter Onnoghen, Appoints Tanko Muhammed As Acting CJN by Kingspin(m): 6:16pm On Jan 25, 2019
modath:
This is Buhari, heavens will not fall....

Did Onnoghen think postponing NJC meeting indefinitely would have ended it.?

And most people don't understand the absolute powers the 1999 Constitution confers on anyone that happens to be the PRN , if they did, this would not have come as any surprise....

Like I posted earlier today in another thread...

"Wike & PDP will push Onnoghen pass landing point inside gutter... "

Buhari or cabals?
Re: Buhari Suspends CJN Walter Onnoghen, Appoints Tanko Muhammed As Acting CJN by excel101(m): 6:21pm On Jan 25, 2019
We know that even it the President is still alive, then he more or less a vegetable. Tinubu and co should thread with care cos they have lots of investments in Nigeria, so if there's any break in law and order, they will be affected the most
Re: Buhari Suspends CJN Walter Onnoghen, Appoints Tanko Muhammed As Acting CJN by excel101(m): 6:21pm On Jan 25, 2019
We know that even it the President is still alive, then he more or less a vegetable. Tinubu and co should thread with care cos they have lots of investments in Nigeria, so if there's any break in law and order, they will be affected the most.
Re: Buhari Suspends CJN Walter Onnoghen, Appoints Tanko Muhammed As Acting CJN by jeff1980(m): 6:21pm On Jan 25, 2019
Perfecting the February Election Rigging in advance
Re: Buhari Suspends CJN Walter Onnoghen, Appoints Tanko Muhammed As Acting CJN by seunmsg(m): 6:22pm On Jan 25, 2019
olatade:

oga, go and check the constitution clearly for the procedures of installing and removing the cjn. a recommendation must either come from the senate or from the national judicial council, please don't argue foolishly.

The president acted on an order of the CCT. There is absolutely nothing wrong in obeying the order of a competent court of records.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari Suspends CJN Walter Onnoghen, Appoints Tanko Muhammed As Acting CJN by Bearshare(m): 6:22pm On Jan 25, 2019
Tetehjewels:

I dey tell you. I can bet he was under the influence of the same south south governors with Wike in charge when he was rushing all these actions and decisions you mentioned.

PDP and corrupt practices with corrupt people are set in stone

Obviously na, Wike's utterance two days ago in one of his campaigns was that his elections and that of pdp governors was DONE and DUSTED. Who makes such brags when your henchman (CJN) was under strings of indictive investigations. Now let's see what they will do.

Worse thing is that even Senate cannot resume plenary again until after elections due to his announcement on the floor. They all played themselves.

This is chess at his finest grin

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Suspends CJN Walter Onnoghen, Appoints Tanko Muhammed As Acting CJN by ighedosajam2018: 6:25pm On Jan 25, 2019
I pity for the neliger Delta's the first time they are holding such sensitive position,they are too quite.hmm what a country.....Where are all the militant making noise, this is now to show that what they are made of...
Re: Buhari Suspends CJN Walter Onnoghen, Appoints Tanko Muhammed As Acting CJN by Afamed: 6:25pm On Jan 25, 2019
SalamRushdie:

watch and see watch the supreme court will do in days
And have you forgotten, the Supreme court is not in the hands of Wike now again?

1 Like

Re: Buhari Suspends CJN Walter Onnoghen, Appoints Tanko Muhammed As Acting CJN by FRCS(m): 6:26pm On Jan 25, 2019
Na wa oo oo oh !

So, nigeria president get this kind power to suspend me or my wife from my house & appoint another husband or wife ?
Re: Buhari Suspends CJN Walter Onnoghen, Appoints Tanko Muhammed As Acting CJN by SalamRushdie: 6:26pm On Jan 25, 2019
Afamed:

And have you forgotten, the Supreme court is not in the hands of Wike now again?

the constitution is very clear on this !!!!! Buhari just himself in the balls
Re: Buhari Suspends CJN Walter Onnoghen, Appoints Tanko Muhammed As Acting CJN by firstolalekan(m): 6:27pm On Jan 25, 2019
PaChukwudi44:
null and void.Buhari has no powers to suspend the CJN.Walter Onnogen remains the CJN
Keep fooling yourself grin
Re: Buhari Suspends CJN Walter Onnoghen, Appoints Tanko Muhammed As Acting CJN by wirinet(m): 6:27pm On Jan 25, 2019
nameo:

What are you talking about?

Immunity is a constitutional provision which says a person cannot be prosecuted while in office. The CJN does not have such protection and that is why he is bee prosecuted in the courts while in office.

The same constitution has also stipulated the ways by which a CJN can be suspended or removed from office and expressly forbids the executive to do so except on the recommendation of the NJC. This was expressly stated in the constitution. Just like with immunity of Govs there are no other interpretation.

The President, if this news is true , has commuted a grave misconduct to the constitution and this will not stand.

And yes this will certainly lead to this country try burning if true. If you think some forces will take this you are only dreaming.

By the way when did CCT give such an order. The CCT is not sitting and has even been restricted by a superior court- the Court of Appeal.

Who will burn the country? Who is ready to take up arms to fight for Onnoghen?

Only the immunity of governors and president are sacrosanct, other government officials are not, especially appointed civil or public servants.
There are so many loopholes that can be exploited. Jonathan exploited the Financial Regulatory commission (can't remember the exact acronym now) to remove Sanusi. The CCB also can recommend the suspension of any officer.

All these will go to court and be subject to judicial interpretation, meanwhile the damage had been done.

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Suspends CJN Walter Onnoghen, Appoints Tanko Muhammed As Acting CJN by erinalex: 6:28pm On Jan 25, 2019
deboysben:
Nigeria will boil if it comes out to be true

But buhari doesn't have such power

It will still be reverse cos there is no due process
Babangida annulled June 12 !
Abiola got killed !
Kenny Saro wiwa got killed !
Nigeria still remain !
So who is Onnegeee !
You must be a kid.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Suspends CJN Walter Onnoghen, Appoints Tanko Muhammed As Acting CJN by eneyoduke(m): 6:28pm On Jan 25, 2019
Am sure he's not aware of what he did
Re: Buhari Suspends CJN Walter Onnoghen, Appoints Tanko Muhammed As Acting CJN by Pavarottii(m): 6:31pm On Jan 25, 2019
seunmsg:
It’s game over for Onnoghen. This is what happens when corrupt and partisan judges populate the bench. He can now go and register officially as a PDP member. Better still, he can open a law firm and represent Wike in all his legal battles. Good riddance to a nonsense jurist.
Sorry to say , how does wike come into this?
Re: Buhari Suspends CJN Walter Onnoghen, Appoints Tanko Muhammed As Acting CJN by wirinet(m): 6:33pm On Jan 25, 2019
ighedosajam2018:
I pity for the neliger Delta's the first time they are holding such sensitive position,they are too quite.hmm what a country.....Where are all the militant making noise, this is now to show that what they are made of...
I do not understand this your argument o. How does a Niger deltas holding such sensitive position for the first time benefit the average Niger deltan? I am a Niger deltan and I honestly do not know the benefit to me or my community of a Niger deltan holding the office of the CJN? A present my first cousin is a junior minister in the administration and I or my community has not benefitted zilch.

So you want militant to start blowing pipelines and putting their lives in danger because one Onnoghen was removed as CJN?

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Suspends CJN Walter Onnoghen, Appoints Tanko Muhammed As Acting CJN by ojtech8291: 6:34pm On Jan 25, 2019
Let us kukuma go military, enough of these democratic pretence. It has happened. Misuse of veto power.
Re: Buhari Suspends CJN Walter Onnoghen, Appoints Tanko Muhammed As Acting CJN by deboysben(m): 6:35pm On Jan 25, 2019
erinalex:
Babangida annulled June 12 !
Abiola got killed !
Kenny Saro wiwa got killed !
Nigeria still remain !
So who is Onnegeee !
You must be a kid.
But this is democracy

Zombie!!
Re: Buhari Suspends CJN Walter Onnoghen, Appoints Tanko Muhammed As Acting CJN by nameo: 6:37pm On Jan 25, 2019
wirinet:

Who will burn the country? Who is ready to take up arms to fight for Onnoghen?

Only the immunity of governors and president are sacrosanct, other government officials are not, especially appointed civil or public servants.
There are so many loopholes that can be exploited. Jonathan exploited the Financial Regulatory commission (can't remember the exact acronym now) to remove Sanusi. The CCB also can recommend the suspension of any officer.

All these will go to court and be subject to judicial interpretation, meanwhile the damage had been done.

You have no argument legally speaking, my friend. And you know that.

As for the consequence, wait and see. I will quote you when it starts. We are now in full blown anarchy. And it is so unfortunate.
Re: Buhari Suspends CJN Walter Onnoghen, Appoints Tanko Muhammed As Acting CJN by bigfish3k: 6:38pm On Jan 25, 2019
lx3as:

Though I'm not in support of this but when Jonathan suspended Ayo Salami againt the wish of NJC, PDP and all of you celebrated it; and heaven didn't fall. GEJ sets the precedence.

so we are now copying from what we have come to change

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Nuratu Abike Sokoya Contesting For Councillorship In Ogun (Photo) / How Ministers, Governors Sabotaged Jonathan / Why Nigeria, Its People, Are Suffering — Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.