Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,509 members, 7,812,576 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:35 PM

This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself (3975 Views)

I Cannot Be With A Man. I Am Half-human & Snake & Have A Spiritual Husband (Vid) / Adeboye On Death Of Son, Dare: I Cannot Complain, Blame Or Question God / Thank God! Finally I Don Port! From Atheism To Jesus! Update* Conversion Story. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by Nobody: 4:05pm On Jan 28, 2019
XxSabrinaxX:

Where and when did we decide that, pray tell? undecided TATIME, this is an open PUBLIC forum. Anybody can post on it and quote anybody he wants. We're all here, aren't we? Stop being emotional grin
Well if i could recollect vividly,you suggested i should leave you alone and stop responding to your post after you started throwing insults when the debate got hot.
I remembered i tried to bring you back to reasoning that solutions can only come when we stop imposing our ideas on others,but instead of reasoning along you kept commenting on what you were taught back in your church days and raising a red flag to stop any idea that's coming from the Bible! embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by Nobody: 4:15pm On Jan 28, 2019
Bacteriologist:

States (including Nigeria) that are insecure enough to punish apostasy with death or prison have their own religious problems to deal with, don't they?
So I'm good yeah? wink
Tell me how many first world countries are here?
Haaaaaaaaaa Bacteriologist!
I can't talk of any other country o but i can talk of Nigeria. The government is not saying people should be killed for apostasy Sir,though some groups are trying to impose such ideas but Nigeria is one of the countries in the world where the government upholds FREEDOM of religion! Otherwise you'll be seeing the law enforcement agencies arresting people on religious grounds!
Please Sir erase Nigeria from that post because i live in Nigeria and since i was born over four decades ago i've never heard or seen the Judiciary punishing anyone on the ground of RELIGION! That's why you need to be careful about the information you're getting on social media!
Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by Nobody: 4:21pm On Jan 28, 2019
TATIME:
Well if i could recollect vividly,you suggested i should leave you alone and stop responding to your post after you started throwing insults when the debate got hot.
I remembered i tried to bring you back to reasoning that solutions can only come when we stop imposing our ideas on others,but instead of reasoning along you kept commenting on what you were taught back in your church days and raising a red flag to stop any idea that's coming from the Bible! embarassed embarassed embarassed
I logged in to Nairaland to find you and godfailstringed whining about atheists. I then told you to go find a job, to which you responded by saying you have one.
Sir, you're free to have your discussion. Just know I'll be here to bust any drivel you may try to pull up this time wink

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by Bacteriologist(m): 4:33pm On Jan 28, 2019
TATIME:
Haaaaaaaaaa Bacteriologist!
I can't talk of any other country o but i can talk of Nigeria. The government is not saying people should be killed for apostasy Sir,though some groups are trying to impose such ideas but Nigeria is one of the countries in the world where the government upholds FREEDOM of religion! Otherwise you'll be seeing the law enforcement agencies arresting people on religious grounds!
Please Sir erase Nigeria from that post because i live in Nigeria and since i was born over four decades ago i've never heard or seen the Judiciary punishing anyone on the ground of RELIGION! That's why you need to be careful about the information you're getting on social media!

Lol Even Christians preaching in the north are stoned to death. Speak less of an atheist.

Are you conversant with what happens in the North at all?
Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by Nobody: 4:34pm On Jan 28, 2019
XxSabrinaxX:

I logged in to Nairaland to find you and godfailstringed whining about atheists. I then told you to go find a job, to which you responded by saying you have one.
Sir, you're free to have your discussion. Just know I'll be here to bust any drivel you may try to pull up this time wink
It's OK Ma,so can you just sit back and allow a COMPETENT Atheist discuss UNINTERRUPTED with a COMPETENT Christian on something that's bothering some people's minds?
Useful and beneficial opinions is what we're trying to derive from such discussions Ma,not apportioning blames because pointing accusing fingers without saying anything tangible regarding the SOLUTION is leading mankind NOWHERE! undecided undecided undecided
Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by Nobody: 4:43pm On Jan 28, 2019
Bacteriologist:

Lol Even Christians preaching in the north are stoned to death. Speak less of an atheist.
Are you conversant with what happens in the North at all?
That is why i said SOME people are trying to impose their religious ideas on others but the Nigerian constitution has NOT included death penalty for any religious case, what you're seeing or hearing in the northern part of Nigeria is called JUNGLE JUSTICE. It's like when someone is caught in some other part of Nigeria accused of stealing and people come out enmass to burn such a person. Of course you and i know very well that the Nigerian government has not approved such! embarassed embarassed embarassed
Unlike some countries like Iran where a passersby has the civil right to behead someone caught eating during the Ramadan fasting! embarassed embarassed embarassed
So am i allowed to participate in your discuss or you have preferred institutions where participants should come from. undecided undecided undecided
Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by Nobody: 4:58pm On Jan 28, 2019
@ Bacteriologist
This post is really touching and it caught my attention so that i picked interest in your post.I strongly believe it should be a matter of serious concern to all intellectuals on earth. But if it's just another means of pointing accusing fingers towards religion,please notify me so that i'll simply back off!

Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by Bacteriologist(m): 5:16pm On Jan 28, 2019
TATIME:
That is why i said SOME people are trying to impose their religious ideas on others but the Nigerian constitution has NOT included death penalty for any religious case, what you're seeing or hearing in the northern part of Nigeria is called JUNGLE JUSTICE. It's like when someone is caught in some other part of Nigeria accused of stealing and people come out enmass to burn such a person. Of course you and i know very well that the Nigerian government has not approved such! embarassed embarassed embarassed
Unlike some countries like Iran where a passersby has the civil right to behead someone caught eating during the Ramadan fasting! embarassed embarassed embarassed
So am i allowed to participate in your discuss or you have preferred institutions where participants should come from. undecided undecided undecided

Why do you view yourself as an outcast or something like that? Perhaps your belief in a fictitious character makes you think of yourself as not entirely mentally capable of getting along with logical discussions hence you think you should ask for permission before joining in a thread on a public forum like NL?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by Bacteriologist(m): 5:21pm On Jan 28, 2019
TATIME:
@ Bacteriologist
This post is really touching and it caught my attention so that i picked interest in your post.I strongly believe it should be a matter of serious concern to all intellectuals on earth. But if it's just another means of pointing accusing fingers towards religion,please notify me so that i'll simply back off!

//Another means of pointing accusing fingers towards religion//

Are you in any manner trying to exonerate religion above the 'accusations?'

Look I advise you to back out, as it looks like too much effort on your side to understand simple concepts. *Facepalm*
Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by Nobody: 6:06pm On Jan 28, 2019
I love this

1 Like

Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by Nobody: 6:37pm On Jan 28, 2019
Bacteriologist:

Look I advise you to back out, as it looks like too much effort on your side to understand simple concepts. *Facepalm*
Thanks Sir!
Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by Nobody: 6:48pm On Jan 28, 2019
TATIME:
It's OK Ma,so can you just sit back and allow a COMPETENT Atheist discuss UNINTERRUPTED with a COMPETENT Christian on something that's bothering some people's minds?
Useful and beneficial opinions is what we're trying to derive from such discussions Ma,not apportioning blames because pointing accusing fingers without saying anything tangible regarding the SOLUTION is leading mankind NOWHERE! undecided undecided undecided
Competent christian my ass grin grin grin. I don't know why you are crying like a baby just because i mentioned you. LOL!! Old ass man like you can be petty like this grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by Nobody: 6:49pm On Jan 28, 2019
Bacteriologist:

That's TATIME for you. Talking to him can be likened to explaining social media to a 70 year old grin grin grin
Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by Nobody: 7:13pm On Jan 28, 2019
XxSabrinaxX:

Competent christian my ass grin grin grin. I don't know why you are crying like a baby just because i mentioned you. LOL!! Old ass man like you can be petty like this grin grin grin
This is why i said TRUE Christians don't preach or teach FACELESSLY on social media!
What we try to do is reason with others on what's affecting all of us and look for ways to SOLVE the problems, but arguing just because participants are eloquent in English to me is like thinking,planning,working and worrying over COOKING in the absence of FIRE or HEAT!
But it's like every atheist is offended at the mention of the name "JESUS" whereas you people often quote dead people you feel they said things that's useful.
Well it's OK, just know that being a Christian meant thinking,planning,working and helping others to know the PRACTICAL solution to life's big problems affecting all the living! NOT going to sing,clap,dance and contribute material things for some motivational speakers all in the name of Jesus. undecided undecided undecided
Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by Nobody: 7:16pm On Jan 28, 2019
TATIME:
This is why i said TRUE Christians don't preach or teach FACELESSLY on social media!
What we try to do is reason with others on what's affecting all of us and look for ways to SOLVE the problems, but arguing just because participants are eloquent in English to me is like thinking,planning,working and worrying over COOKING in the absence of FIRE or HEAT!
But it's like every atheist is offended at the mention of the name "JESUS" whereas you people often quote dead people you feel they said things that's useful.
Well it's OK, just know that being a Christian meant thinking,planning,working and helping others to know the PRACTICAL solution to life's big problems affecting all the living! NOT going to sing,clap,dance and contribute material things for some motivational speakers all in the name of Jesus. undecided undecided undecided
No, we're offended over the fact that despite not having any evidence to support your claims of a deity, you people have chosen to infringe on our basic human rights with your beliefs undecided

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by Nobody: 7:44pm On Jan 28, 2019
XxSabrinaxX:

No, we're offended over the fact that despite not having any evidence to support your claims of a deity, you people have chosen to infringe on our basic human rights with your beliefs undecided
Your accusations is unjust i keep telling you but you hate the TRUTH!
A careful reading,studying and meditating on the utterances of Jesus is clear that His TRUE followers will only make presentations NOT infringing on your right to choose what you feel like doing.
John the baptist was the last prophet to infringe on the basic human rights of others and Jesus never supported his action. Herod and Herodias decided to start sleeping together,this illicit affair led to their marriage,Herodias divorced Philip her husband to marry Herod. John started rebuking Herod who has the right to choose if he will live within the tenets of the Mosaic laws or not, John was arrested and beheaded for INFRINGING on the right of TWO adults who are influential in the societ!
Jesus only focus on those who feel the need for spiritual needs {Matthew 5:3} meaning those who strongly feel like subjecting themselves to God's word, Jesus has NO business with those who are indifferent towards Godly principles! Matthew 12:46-50
So Sabrina whoever complains about how you choose to live your life,try to impose or pester you to succumb to what he/she believes is NOT a Christian but one of those misinformed churchgoers claiming Christians. TRUE Christians ONLY tactfully present our beliefs and if you say NO that doesn't make us enemies, what we're trying to tell you is "this is what we believe" so that we can cohabit without infringing on one another's right. You won't force me to accept your ideas and i too won't pester you to succumb to my own ideas!
Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by budaatum: 7:44pm On Jan 28, 2019
Bacteriologist:

The fact that SOME Atheists lie about the inquisition doesn't make it less gruesome than it was. What's your point?

Belief in religious context refers to "faith." Which is an "evidence" of things not seen.

Atheists rely on concrete evidence and verifiable proof. One which no religion including yours since the beginning of time has never been able to provide.
Don't forget to stress that the foundational rule of atheism is "thou shalt not bear false witness".
Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by Bacteriologist(m): 7:49pm On Jan 28, 2019
budaatum:

Don't forget to stress that the foundational rule of atheism is "thou shalt not bear false witness".

"Foundational rule of atheism?"

What's that laughable hogwash you just typed? Did you even read the OP? Or are you deliberately being a pain in the butt?

Again, ATHEISM IS THE COMPLETE LACK OF BELIEF IN ALL 4200+ GODS, GODDESSES AND DEITIES. NO MORE NO LESS.

Why is a simple definition so hard for supposed grown ups to internalise? Jesus Fūcking Christ?!
Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by Nobody: 7:49pm On Jan 28, 2019
TATIME:
Your accusations is unjust i keep telling you but you hate the TRUTH!
A careful reading,studying and meditating on the utterances of Jesus is clear that His TRUE followers will only make presentations NOT infringing on your right to choose what you feel like doing.
John the baptist was the last prophet to infringe on the basic human rights of others and Jesus never supported his action. Herod and Herodias decided to start sleeping together,this illicit affair led to their marriage,Herodias divorced Philip her husband to marry Herod. John started rebuking Herod who has the right to choose if he will live within the tenets of the Mosaic laws or not, John was arrested and beheaded for INFRINGING on the right of TWO adults who are influential in the societ!
Jesus only focus on those who feel the need for spiritual needs {Matthew 5:3} meaning those who strongly feel like subjecting themselves to God's word, Jesus has NO business with those who are indifferent towards Godly principles! Matthew 12:46-50
So Sabrina whoever complains about how you choose to live your life,try to impose or pester you to succumb to what he/she believes is NOT a Christian but one of those misinformed churchgoers claiming Christians. TRUE Christians ONLY tactfully present our beliefs and if you say NO that doesn't make us enemies, what we're trying to tell you is "this is what we believe" so that we can cohabit without infringing on one another's right. You won't force me to accept your ideas and i too won't pester you to succumb to my own ideas!
LMAO!!! I don't get the point of this epistle you wrote. I'm not fighting with you grin grin grin. You seem very on edge today, TATIME. Did something happen lol?
Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by Nobody: 7:56pm On Jan 28, 2019
XxSabrinaxX:

LMAO!!! I don't get the point of this epistle you wrote. I'm not fighting with you grin grin grin. You seem very on edge today, TATIME. Did something happen lol?
You can read carefully to understand my point,i'm always like this the only thing is when someone choose insulting his/her audience for not succumbing to some ideas i'll go sarcastic!
Jesus never taught us to force or pester people to become Christians,what we're to do is present what we believe and continue living as tolerable neighbours with others!
Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by Nobody: 8:00pm On Jan 28, 2019
TATIME:
You can read carefully to understand my point,i'm always like this the only thing is when someone choose insulting his/her audience for not succumbing to some ideas i'll go sarcastic!
Jesus never taught us to force or pester people to become Christians,what we're to do is present what we believe and continue living as tolerable neighbours with others!
Lol. TATIME, where were you insulted in this thread, pray tell?
Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by budaatum: 8:04pm On Jan 28, 2019
Bacteriologist:

"Foundational rule of atheism?"

What's that laughable hogwash you just typed? Did you even read the OP? Or are you deliberately being a pain in the butt?

Again, ATHEISM IS THE COMPLETE LACK OF BELIEF IN ALL 4200+ GODS, GODDESSES AND DEITIES. NO MORE NO LESS.

Why is a simple definition so hard for supposed grown ups to internalise? Jesus Fūcking Christ?!

Surely, there has to be something that makes one qualify as an atheist? And should it not be to not make claims there's no evidence for? Or is it to be rude and obnoxious like you're being?

I insist, atheists must not make claims they have no evidence for. If one does, then you're simply a believer, the opposite, I say, of atheist, according to your very own definition!
Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by Bacteriologist(m): 8:09pm On Jan 28, 2019
budaatum:

Surely, there has to be something that makes one qualify as an atheist? And should it not be to not make claims there's no evidence for? Or is it to be rude and obnoxious like you're being?

I insist, atheists must not make claims they have no evidence for. If one does, then you're simple a believer, the opposite, I say, of atheist, according to your very own definition!

...Then where is the "Foundational rule of atheism" nonsense coming from?

You do understand that there are no set "rules" stated in atheism? Save for that included in the actual definition? Then why are you making up baseless premises when you know exactly what atheism is on about?
Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by Nobody: 8:12pm On Jan 28, 2019
XxSabrinaxX:

Lol. TATIME, where were you insulted in this thread, pray tell?
NO! NO!! NO!!! My dear Sabrina,there is no insult on this particular thread. What i'm saying is most people often result to insulting others for not succumbing to their ideology!
For instance,a woman approached me with flyers of David Oyedepo,i asked her questions to know what she believed about Christ, she said if i accept Christ everything i want in life will be mine. I asked her to show me where Jesus said so because i read about Jesus in the Bible saying He(Jesus) had NOTHING of His own. The woman got provoked and started insulting and cursing me! embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by budaatum: 8:22pm On Jan 28, 2019
Bacteriologist:
Because there are people who think it's okay to trample on basic human rights of others based on doctrines
Especially unverified ones, as in, things there is no evidence for.

Bacteriologist:
•There are people who believe children should be taught fairy tales in school instead of facts and people who think it's okay to try and heal their child with prayers instead of seeking medical attention even if it means the child dies.
Atheists should not teach false claims, which you define here as "fairy tales".

Bacteriologist:
•There are people who believe witchcraft is real and grounds for torturing someone to death and there are people who horrifically abuse and beat their children sometimes to death believing they are possessed by demons.
Atheists should definitely not believe, propagate or act on such nonsense!

Bacteriologist:
•There are genital mutilations of both sexes, public stonings and flogging, brutal honorary killings, battery acid attacks, little girls who get set on fire or shot in the face and millions of other atrocities and indecencies carried out everyday by people in the name of archaic, bullshit doctrines and imaginary gods.
Atheists should definitely not create imaginary gods, nor should they do things in the name of archaic, bullshit doctrines and imaginary gods

Bacteriologist:
THIS IS WHY I ACTIVELY SPEAK OUT AGAINST RELIGION. I CHOOSE TO BE A DECENT, SANE AND MORAL PERSON WHO IS MORE CONCERNED WITH THE WELFARE OF MY FELLOW HUMAN BEINGS THAN I AM ABOUT "HURTING THE FEELINGS" OF PEOPLE WHO CHOOSE TO BELIEVE IN UTTER NONSENSE.
And atheists should choose not to BELIEVE IN UTTER NONSENSE!

I insist that the above is summarised as "atheists should not bear false witness", and for you, I'm inclined to add that, thou shalt not be rude and obnoxious, except that you are free to be so if that's your desire.
Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by Nobody: 8:25pm On Jan 28, 2019
TATIME:
NO! NO!! NO!!! My dear Sabrina,there is no insult on this particular thread. What i'm saying is most people often result to insulting others for not succumbing to their ideology!
For instance,a woman approached me with flyers of David Oyedepo,i asked her questions to know what she believed about Christ, she said if i accept Christ everything i want in life will be mine. I asked her to show me where Jesus said so because i read about Jesus in the Bible saying He(Jesus) had NOTHING of His own. The woman got provoked and started insulting and cursing me! embarassed embarassed embarassed
Oh. Sorry to hear that, TATIME embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by Nobody: 8:26pm On Jan 28, 2019
budaatum:

Atheists should definitely not create imaginary gods, nor should they do things in the name of archaic, bullshit doctrines and imaginary gods

I insist that the above is summarised as "atheists should not bear false witness", and for you, I'm inclined to add that, thou shalt not be rude and obnoxious, except that you are free to be so if that's your desire.
Edit: Do you think there's hypocrisy in atheism, budatuum?

1 Like

Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by budaatum: 8:27pm On Jan 28, 2019
Bacteriologist:

...Then where is the "Foundational rule of atheism" nonsense coming from?

You do understand that there are no set "rules" stated in atheism? Save for that included in the actual definition? Then why are you making up baseless premises when you know exactly what atheism is on about?
I am including my "thou shalt not bear false witness" in an actual definition of atheism. If one makes up things one has no evidence for and calls them the truth, then it is my opinion that such a person is only an atheist in name, just as one would be a Christian in name only if one steals, murders, and covets one's neighbour's goods.
Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by budaatum: 8:29pm On Jan 28, 2019
XxSabrinaxX:

Can hypocrisy exist among atheists, budatuum?
Of course it can! To claim it can't would be like claiming atheists cannot lie, or be rude and obnoxious. Hypocrisy is a human thing! We are all capable of it.

1 Like

Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by Bacteriologist(m): 8:30pm On Jan 28, 2019
budaatum:

Lmao I'm not even going to give a sound reply to that thoughtlessly written load of horsheshit. Next!
Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by Bacteriologist(m): 8:30pm On Jan 28, 2019
budaatum:

I am including my "thou shalt not bear false witness" in an actual definition of atheism. If one makes up things one has no evidence for and calls them the truth, then it is my opinion that such a person is only an atheist in name, just as one would be a Christian in name only if one steals, murders, and covets one's neighbour's goods.

K
Re: This Is Why I Cannot Just Keep My Atheism To Myself by budaatum: 8:39pm On Jan 28, 2019
XxSabrinaxX:

Edit: Do you think there's hypocrisy in atheism, budatuum?
Take the idea called the big bang. An atheist would claim no god created the heavens and the earth because she sees no evidence for such a claim, then he insists there was a bang that was big. Is that not hypocrisy? Does the atheist really know there was a bang and that it was big some billion years ago? Does the hypocritical atheist not see that she quotes from her own 'Bible' (canon, knowledge, choose to believes) in making such an ignorant claim?

A non-hypocritical atheist would simply state that the evidence suggests that the earth is billion years old and all of the known verifiable and somewhat valid evidence is less that 20,000 years old. Stating how a billions of years old universe came into existence is speculation no different to God done it in 6 days, and if the atheist is condemning the 6 day theory with a bang that was big, I am a hypocrite atheist!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pastor Bosun Emmanuel Should Open His Ministry Already. / Adeboye Blackberry Open Heaven $4.99 Usd / @i.chuka & Others Lets Discuss D Revelation 12 Woman And The Marian Apparition.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.