Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,518 members, 7,812,604 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:06 PM

Dear Theists, This Is The Real Definition Of Atheism - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Dear Theists, This Is The Real Definition Of Atheism (4312 Views)

After So Many Conversations With Theists, This Is My Conclusion About Them. / My Prophecy About The End Of Atheism Still Very Much On Course 3 Months Later / God Is An Atheist: What Theists Cant argue.Discover God's God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dear Theists, This Is The Real Definition Of Atheism by Maynmann: 9:38pm On Jun 23, 2022
TenQ:

An insane person on the street may lack a belief in any Deity BUT is he an Atheist?

To me Atheism has to do with a conscious/delibrate conclusion of rejection of the existence of a deity!

Therefore, Babies and Insane people cannot be Atheists. A person who cannot reason and make choices based such reasonings cannot be an atheist!

Therefore, Atheism cannot be a LACK of BELIEF but a DISBELIEF or REJECTION of BELIEF in any DEITY!

Your people refuse to learn because they read it from some Oyinbo website that Atheism is a lack of belief . SMH!!
Yea you are right.

1 Like

Re: Dear Theists, This Is The Real Definition Of Atheism by HellVictorinho4(m): 9:39pm On Jun 23, 2022
LordReed:

He can't be anything until he has had the time to decide, it's not automatic.

He is automatically without certain things.
Re: Dear Theists, This Is The Real Definition Of Atheism by Maynmann: 9:39pm On Jun 23, 2022
TenQ:

An insane person on the street may lack a belief in any Deity BUT is he an Atheist?

To me Atheism has to do with a conscious/delibrate conclusion of rejection of the existence of a deity!

Therefore, Babies and Insane people cannot be Atheists. A person who cannot reason and make choices based such reasonings cannot be an atheist!

Therefore, Atheism cannot be a LACK of BELIEF but a DISBELIEF or REJECTION of BELIEF in any DEITY!

Your people refuse to learn because they read it from some Oyinbo website that Atheism is a lack of belief . SMH!!

Yes you are right.

1 Like

Re: Dear Theists, This Is The Real Definition Of Atheism by LordReed(m): 9:39pm On Jun 23, 2022
Maynmann:

The origin of the word says so.

There is no disbelief in that screenshot so where did you get disbelief from?
Re: Dear Theists, This Is The Real Definition Of Atheism by LordReed(m): 9:40pm On Jun 23, 2022
HellVictorinho4:

He is automatically without certain things.

Opinions and views are not automatic.
Re: Dear Theists, This Is The Real Definition Of Atheism by Maynmann: 9:41pm On Jun 23, 2022
LordReed:

There is no disbelief in that screenshot so where did you get disbelief from?

Re: Dear Theists, This Is The Real Definition Of Atheism by HellVictorinho4(m): 9:41pm On Jun 23, 2022
LordReed:

Opinions and views are not automatic.

Atheism is not an opinion or view.....is it?

How?
Re: Dear Theists, This Is The Real Definition Of Atheism by LordReed(m): 9:43pm On Jun 23, 2022
TenQ:

In other words, a Lack of Belief is only possible when a person is completely EMPTY (like a baby) or completely FULL (certainty of knowing).

Can you lack a belief that you don't exist?
Of course not! You know without an iota of doubt that your exist!

LoLz! How can it be when I am telling you that a baby is not an atheist? Geez. Bwahahahahaha!

2 Likes

Re: Dear Theists, This Is The Real Definition Of Atheism by LordReed(m): 9:45pm On Jun 23, 2022
HellVictorinho4:

Atheism is not an opinion or view.....is it?

How?

It is. It is a person's view on the idea of god(s). Babies and animals cannot hold any opinions or views therefore they cannot be atheists.

1 Like

Re: Dear Theists, This Is The Real Definition Of Atheism by TenQ: 9:46pm On Jun 23, 2022
LordReed:

LoLz. Wonderful, now we have switched to strawman. Bwahahahahaha!
There is NOTHING Strawman about what had come from you, Bacteriologist and HellVictorinho4

You have defined Atheism as a LACK of BELIEF in the existence of any Deity!

Except if the definition above does not represent your claiml

I just asked a simple question:
An insane person may completely lack a belief in the existence of any Deity, does it make him an Atheist?

What is Strawman about this question?
Re: Dear Theists, This Is The Real Definition Of Atheism by HellVictorinho4(m): 9:48pm On Jun 23, 2022
LordReed:

It is. It is a person's view on the idea of god(s). Babies and animals cannot hold any opinions or views therefore they cannot be atheists.

How is the lack of belief in a person a view?
Re: Dear Theists, This Is The Real Definition Of Atheism by TenQ: 9:52pm On Jun 23, 2022
LordReed:

LoLz! How can it be when I am telling you that a baby is not an atheist? Geez. Bwahahahahaha!
Of course a baby is not an atheist BUT a baby truely lacks a belief in the existence of any deity.

Don't you think your definition of Atheism should be re-examined?
Re: Dear Theists, This Is The Real Definition Of Atheism by LordReed(m): 9:59pm On Jun 23, 2022

Re: Dear Theists, This Is The Real Definition Of Atheism by LordReed(m): 10:00pm On Jun 23, 2022
TenQ:

Of course a baby is not an atheist BUT a baby truely lacks a belief in the existence of any deity.

What part of a baby is not an atheist is eluding you?
Re: Dear Theists, This Is The Real Definition Of Atheism by TenQ: 10:03pm On Jun 23, 2022
LordReed:

What part of a baby is not an atheist is eluding you?
Why are you being evasive. At least we both agree that a baby cannot be an atheist.

The question above is what you are avoiding!
Re: Dear Theists, This Is The Real Definition Of Atheism by LordReed(m): 10:03pm On Jun 23, 2022
HellVictorinho4:

How is the lack of belief in a person a view?

What do you call it? It is a view because it a person's conclusion that sufficient information doesn't exist to form the belief.
Re: Dear Theists, This Is The Real Definition Of Atheism by LordReed(m): 10:06pm On Jun 23, 2022
TenQ:

Why are you being evasive. At least we both agree that a baby cannot be an atheist.

The question above is what you are avoiding!

There is no evasion but your own persistent attempt to shoehorn what doesn't fit. A baby is not an atheist because it cannot form the necessary opinion. This I have answered several times so you should ask yourself why you can't remember something so simple.
Re: Dear Theists, This Is The Real Definition Of Atheism by Maynmann: 10:06pm On Jun 23, 2022
[quote author=LordReed post=114097321][/quote]

Ooh, he is talking about belief system, it’s just disbelief in the ordinary sense not “affirmative belief”

Re: Dear Theists, This Is The Real Definition Of Atheism by LordReed(m): 10:07pm On Jun 23, 2022
Maynmann:

Ooh, he is talking about belief system, it’s just disbelief in the ordinary sense

The very screenshot you posted says it is not a disbelief so I dunno what you mean.
Re: Dear Theists, This Is The Real Definition Of Atheism by Maynmann: 10:08pm On Jun 23, 2022
LordReed:

The very screenshot you posted says it is not a disbelief so I dunno what you mean.

He said rejection of the assertions/opinions/beliefs

Re: Dear Theists, This Is The Real Definition Of Atheism by Maynmann: 10:11pm On Jun 23, 2022
LordReed:

I see where he is coming from.
He is saying athiest is not the disbelief in a particular god(monotheistic) but disbelief in all gods.
He is talking about belief system(affirmative belief)

Re: Dear Theists, This Is The Real Definition Of Atheism by HellVictorinho4(m): 10:42pm On Jun 23, 2022
LordReed:

What do you call it? It is a view because it a person's conclusion that sufficient information doesn't exist to form the belief.

Sufficient information is meant to induce knowledge...or is knowledge same as belief?

I call it an accidental situation in which you are exposed to certain things that don't allow belief in any God or the lack of belief as a result of an accidental exposure that doesn't permit the development of a belief in any God .

This means the belief happens in the presence of an accidental exposure to certain things but not necessarily to the proof of God itself.... problem is that theists usually claim to have proof even as believers.

Some say existence is God but that's not possible because existence is beyond anything specific.

Existence itself has no beginning and end.

Yet it still boils down to exposure to certain things except a specific possessor such as God.

So, some see themselves as proofs but there's nothing wonderful about being a specific human being to the extent of proving God.

So, I am saying this because of my exposure to the same specific human being.

We might both see black but we don't get affected by the exposure to black the same way.

Babies feel something ..... they're alive at least..... though not having as much experience as LordReed.

At least,they feel but they might only be able to cry so you would know they feel.

It's not their doing neither is it yours even if you wrongly say it is for what they feel or what you have felt to obstruct the development of a belief as an occurrence in your brain.
Re: Dear Theists, This Is The Real Definition Of Atheism by TenQ: 10:48pm On Jun 23, 2022
LordReed:

There is no evasion but your own persistent attempt to shoehorn what doesn't fit. A baby is not an atheist because it cannot form the necessary opinion. This I have answered several times so you should ask yourself why you can't remember something so simple.
If you'll permit me to modify your definition a little:
An atheist is one who by his opinion lacks a belief in the existence of any deity!

Is this a better definition of Atheism?
Re: Dear Theists, This Is The Real Definition Of Atheism by LordReed(m): 7:33am On Jun 24, 2022
TenQ:

If you'll permit me to modify your definition a little:
An atheist is one who by his opinion lacks a belief in the existence of any deity!

Is this a better definition of Atheism?

More like an atheist's opinion is informed by his lack of belief.
Re: Dear Theists, This Is The Real Definition Of Atheism by TenQ: 7:43am On Jun 24, 2022
LordReed:

More like an atheist's opinion is informed by his lack of belief.
An opinion is always formed by reasoning isn't it?

An opinion is a view, judgment, or appraisal formed in the mind about a particular matter

A lack of belief cannot form an opinion about anything. An opinion can produce a lack of belief!
Re: Dear Theists, This Is The Real Definition Of Atheism by LordReed(m): 10:02am On Jun 24, 2022
TenQ:

An opinion is always formed by reasoning isn't it?

An opinion is a view, judgment, or appraisal formed in the mind about a particular matter

A lack of belief cannot form an opinion about anything. An opinion can produce a lack of belief!

I didn't say the lack of belief forms the opinion, I said it INFORMS it. Pay attention. The opinion "belief in a god(s) is not justified" is supported by the person being unable to form a belief from the information presented.
Re: Dear Theists, This Is The Real Definition Of Atheism by TenQ: 10:15am On Jun 24, 2022
LordReed:

I didn't say the lack of belief forms the opinion, I said it INFORMS it. Pay attention. The opinion "belief in a god(s) is not justified" is supported by the person being unable to form a belief from the information presented.
How can a lack of belief inform something else. It doesn't make any sense. Lack of sufficient evidence can justify a claim of lack of belief but not the other way round.

The statement below is still valid:

Is it possible to know you lack a belief in something without FIRST logically processing it?

If you think it is possible, give me an example that has nothing to do with God.

For me, I lack a belief that 2+3=9 because I know (past tense) that 2+3=5. My knowledge exclude me from having a contrary opinion
Re: Dear Theists, This Is The Real Definition Of Atheism by LordReed(m): 10:21am On Jun 24, 2022
TenQ:

How can a lack of belief inform something else. It doesn't make any sense. Lack of sufficient evidence can justify a claim of lack of belief but not the other way round.

The statement below is still valid:

Is it possible to know you lack a belief in something without FIRST logically processing it?

If you think it is possible, give me an example that has nothing to do with God.

For me, I lack a belief that 2+3=9 because I know (past tense) that 2+3=5. My knowledge exclude me from having a contrary opinion

His lack of belief is not an opinion. The opinion is "belief in a god(s) is not justified". You seem not to be tracking. I keep my sentences as short as possible so that you can follow, why is this so hard for you?
Re: Dear Theists, This Is The Real Definition Of Atheism by Dtruthspeaker: 10:33am On Jun 24, 2022
HellVictorinho4:

He might have said he chooses not to believe.

But that doesn't mean not believing is by choose.

A person need not profess his beliefs, if we get close to him, we would see it.
Re: Dear Theists, This Is The Real Definition Of Atheism by TenQ: 10:34am On Jun 24, 2022
LordReed:

His lack of belief is not an opinion. The opinion is "belief in a god(s) is not justified". You seem not to be tracking. I keep my sentences as short as possible so that you can follow, why is this so hard for you?
I did not say that your lack of belief is an opinion. I said that "your opinion gave rise to a claim of lack of belief"

Can you please give just one example to justify that it is possible to lack a belief without having an opinion?
Re: Dear Theists, This Is The Real Definition Of Atheism by LordReed(m): 11:17am On Jun 24, 2022
TenQ:

I did not say that your lack of belief is an opinion. I said that "your opinion gave rise to a claim of lack of belief"

Can you please give just one example to justify that it is possible to lack a belief without having an opinion?

Lack of belief is a state of mind.

I lack the belief that you have a dog but my opinion is there is a 50% chance that you do have a dog. My lack of belief informs my opinion on your chances of actually having a dog. If in my mind I instead believed you don't have a dog then my opinion could be I am 100% certain you don't have a dog. In either case I could not say anything about whether you have a dog or not and thus express no opinion on the matter. You cannot know my state of mind until I express it.
Re: Dear Theists, This Is The Real Definition Of Atheism by HellVictorinho4(m): 11:28am On Jun 24, 2022
LordReed:

Is it a must to think belief in God is not justified to be an atheist?

So, it's no longer about lacking belief ..... it's about having something to say about it or what?

I think it's unnecessary to think it's not justified to have belief to be an atheist.

You're making theists seem invited to an argument.

Haven't you seen that the debate about God is meaningless?

We're talking about an accidental development in the human brain.

What you call reasons to believe or not believe doesn't help to make the debate meaningful.

At birth , there's no belief whether or not anyone is arguing about his belief being justified.

The belief happens by chance upon exposure to a certain environment

It can only leave as it came or by chance.

This talk of choosing to believe or not believe is just a manifestation of the experience of what leads to or prevents the belief.

TenQ

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Why Jon Snow Is Better Than Jesus / Monster Energy Drink Is A Satanic Drink - 666 / If God Refuses To Answer Your Prayers And You Consult Herbalist, Is It A Sin?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.