Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,214 members, 7,818,724 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:02 PM

The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) - Culture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) (131724 Views)

Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland / Does Culture Define The Way Nigerian Men Act In Relationships To A Large Extent? / Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (70) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by naijaking1: 8:03pm On Aug 21, 2010
Ibime:

^^^Is Rudi Giulliani American or Italian?

Ruddy Giulliani is a proud Italian American, just as Rand Yamamoto is a proud Japanese American. Today, both would have nothing to worry about, because US is not at war with either ancestral countries.
However, you couln't have said that in 1945, when US was at war with Germany and its Japanese and Italian allies. People like Giulliani and Yamamoto faced either of 3 choices:

1. Profess their hatred, disconnection, and hostility towards their ancestral homes by acting out against Japan and Italy.
2. Profess their hatred for America, and sometimes joining the war efforts of their ancestral homes.
3. Suffer at the hands of average America for suspicion of #2, suffer at the hands of their ancestral homes because of #1.

History repeats itself, war is always filled with stories such as we have in the former eastern Nigeria. Unfortunately, the Ibimes, the Saro Wiwas, and the Adaka Boros of this World choose #1. So many years after the war, many people have continued to confuse the #1 option in Nigeria with reality.

Many cultures in Nigeria are paterilinial in inheritance, so if your paternal g-g-great grand father is Igbo, then it's likely you're Igbo no matter whatever type of cultural socialization was brought about by your maternal linage. This rule may be the reverse in situations where matrilinial inheritance is the case(I don't know about Ijaw).
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Batubo(m): 8:07pm On Aug 21, 2010
Ibime is half Ibo and Ijo, Proudly Ibojo.  Na so una want am to call himself?
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ow11(m): 8:16pm On Aug 21, 2010
Dede1:

There is Umu-Okirika in Mbaise and it could have been the original migratory point of cross section of people in the present-day Okirika. My source informed that the people of Canoe Houses came with Europeans as porters. The majority of the people were drawn from ethnic groups along the Gold Coast.

How long would you hold on to this untruth? You have been corrected before. . . .Okrika is actually Wakrike which means 'We are not different'. UmuOkrika is probably just a mere coincidence. Maybe you should change your source. . .Don't you think?
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by komando: 8:31pm On Aug 21, 2010
Not so much "selective" amnesia, than a constant desire to cheat, deceive, lie and confuse the other party at any/every point in time! Just a part of their upbringing, life, culture and belief!

Someones mama was pounded today like pounded yam by Igbo badboys of Alaba.and as the pounding was going on she was screaming Igbo Kwenu! Kwenu oh!! Igbo kwenu! Kwenu oh!!
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by udezue(m): 8:34pm On Aug 21, 2010
Lol @ Komando. Obu nwa amutara na away match.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Abagworo(m): 8:53pm On Aug 21, 2010
@dede1

You should update your geography well.osisioma in which ariaria is located is bounded on the north by isialangwa,west by omuma,right by aba north and obingwa,south by ugwunagbo.eberi is the headquaters of omuma and yes people live there as a part of aba.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by naijaking1: 9:27pm On Aug 21, 2010
ow11:

How long would you hold on to this untruth? You have been corrected before. . . .Okrika is actually Wakrike which means 'We are not different'. UmuOkrika is probably just a mere coincidence. Maybe you should change your source. . .Don't you think?

What makes you think that the okirika in Rivers in more euthentic than the umuokirika of Mbaise, or just a mere coincedence?
If you want to play the my-tribe-is-more-euthentic-than-your-tribe game, then someone from Mbaise could easily say that their own Okirika is the original
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Dede1(m): 9:34pm On Aug 21, 2010
Abagworo:

@dede1

You should update your geography well.osisioma in which ariaria is located is bounded on the north by isialangwa,west by omuma,right by aba north and obingwa,south by ugwunagbo.eberi is the headquaters of omuma and yes people live there as a part of aba.

Bros, I think you have gone too far if you think that Ariaria Market situated along Fox road in Eziukwu Aba and did not pass Unungasi is in Osisioma. By the way, Ariaria Market did spread to PH-Aba Express way talk-less of Eberi Omuma. Even the Railway tracks did not bisect Eberi Umuma. The inhabitants of Eberi travelling from Aba, on train, must disembark at Ogwe and when travelling on cars could disembark at Ogwe or Obuehie.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Dede1(m): 9:42pm On Aug 21, 2010
ow11:

It is very funny if you think I should believe such crap as Wakrike for Okirika especially when it is coming from a person who has made name on changing the names of places. Why have you not informed us that Bonny is neither Ijo nor Igbo but a bastardized Ngwa word, Ubani?
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by komando: 10:39pm On Aug 21, 2010
Nwanne, ochi e gbuele M here.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by bkbabe97y(m): 10:52pm On Aug 21, 2010
udezue:

Your boy, and by extent you, seem to be too dumb to realize that I (and many others including, but not limited to, Aigbofa, Chiogo, Tpia, The Amaka, 9jaganja and co) have chosen to ignore him both as Basketmout and as the newly improved dummy 2.0 now aptly named Komando!
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Abagworo(m): 10:55pm On Aug 21, 2010
Dede1:

Bros, I think you have gone too far if you think that Ariaria Market situated along Fox road in Eziukwu Aba and did not pass Unungasi is in Osisioma. By the way, Ariaria Market did spread to PH-Aba Express way talk-less of Eberi Omuma. Even the Railway tracks did not bisect Eberi Umuma. The inhabitants of Eberi travelling from Aba, on train, must disembark at Ogwe and when travelling on cars could disembark at Ogwe or Obuehie.

ariaria is in osisioma and not aba.eberi omuma road located in ariaria links the town with eberi omuma in rivers state.if you board okada at abayi ariaria junction,it is 15 mins ride to eberi.i wonder if you actually know where ariaria is.the various towns that make up ariaria are umuikpo,umuode,umuehilegbu,okpokoroala,asa umunka,amapuife,umudioka etc.if you know ariaria mention just one more town.the market is located at a border with aba north but due to revenue reasons half the market was ceded to aba north and the ensuing crisis led to terming the area ''bakassi''.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by komando: 11:00pm On Aug 21, 2010
@ bk
I wish it was possible to use whip accross the web. I for bulala that you dummy face with my horse whip. You are a pure animal, only meant for horsewhip. Bloody idiot.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by komando: 11:02pm On Aug 21, 2010
Your boy, and by extent you, seem to be too dumb to realize that I (and many others including, but not limited to, Aigbofa, Chiogo, Tpia, The Amaka, 9jaganja and co) have chosen to ignore him both as Basketmout and as the newly improved dummy 2.0 now aptly named Komando!

who send you message!!
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by komando: 11:05pm On Aug 21, 2010
They pound your mama simple. Ala gbawa kwa nne gi otu.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by naijaking1: 11:18pm On Aug 21, 2010
komando:

They pound your mama simple. Ala gbawa kwa nne gi otu.

Wonder why the spam blot couldn't catch that one shocked
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ChinenyeN(m): 12:21am On Aug 22, 2010
Let's end this land issue, once and for all. . . There really is no need for long stories, nor arguments, nor debates of any kind, because all of this is rather simple. We Ngwa share a boundary with Etche. I really don't believe this ought to be news to anyone familiar.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Abagworo(m): 12:39am On Aug 22, 2010
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Pukkah: 7:49pm On Aug 22, 2010
This thread is as educative as it is entertaining.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ow11(m): 7:52pm On Aug 22, 2010
naijaking1:

What makes you think that the okirika in Rivers in more euthentic than the umuokirika of Mbaise, or just a mere coincedence?
If you want to play the my-tribe-is-more-euthentic-than-your-tribe game, then someone from Mbaise could easily say that their own Okirika is the original

You misunderstand me. That town has always been known as Wakirike. Infact in a dialogue in the local lingo, the village is known as kiri-ke. Okrika is probably the Anglicised version or something else.

On the other hand, Umu-Okrika is the original name of the village in Mbaise and it would be patronising to say that if Wakirike has been changed to Okrika today (even though the LGA is called Wakrike LGA-WALGA) then the people MUST be from Umu-Okrika in Mbaise!

Dede1:

It is very funny if you think I should believe such crap as Wakrike for Okirika especially when it is coming from a person who has made name on changing the names of places. Why have you not informed us that Bonny is neither Ijo nor Igbo but a bastardized Ngwa word, Ubani?

Ahh you see dede1, You are quite certain Bonny is the Anglicised version of Ibani which is somehow a bastardised name of Ubani which in itself is Ngwa. Now you could be right but however, I can point you to sources that would show you that Ibani isn't from Ubani but from Kala-beni.

It is very easy to talk about the history of people and say what you like. If countered, you accuse the people of dishonesty. Tell us why your version of history is correct and why I should discard the version that is held in my town about my people since for some odd reason an Igbo man knows more about the history of the Ijaw man than the Ijaw man?
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Ibime(m): 8:42pm On Aug 22, 2010
ow11:

You misunderstand me. That town has always been known as Wakirike. Infact in a dialogue in the local lingo, the village is known as kiri-ke. Okrika is probably the Anglicised version or something else.

The capital of Okrika is Kirike island. . . . so off the bat, any rumour about umu-okirika is wrong.

naijaking1:

Many cultures in Nigeria are paterilinial in inheritance, so if your paternal g-g-great grand father is Igbo, then it's likely you're Igbo no matter whatever type of cultural socialization was brought about by your maternal linage. This rule may be the reverse in situations where matrilinial inheritance is the case(I don't know about Ijaw).

And how would you know that Uwakwe to myself is an unbroken paternal lineage?. . .  .its better not to draw conclusions. . . at the end of the day, Im in constant relations with distant cousins from Asa who my grandmother raised whilst you type gibberish about Igbo-denial.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by AndreUweh(m): 9:19pm On Aug 22, 2010
On a very serious note, Okrika people are not Igbo, but KALABARI. There might have been Igbo blood in them but they are not Igbo neither is their first language and names Igbo.
@Ibime, do not be offended with some posts here. Some people feel there is the need for Igbo and Okrika to see each other as one irrespective of ethnic nationalities.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by AndreUweh(m): 9:22pm On Aug 22, 2010
Again and again, the Igbo groups in Rivers state are the Etches, Obigbos, Ikwerres, Ekpeyes, Omumas and ONELGA's. May the peace of our Lord be with you for this understanding.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by komando: 9:28pm On Aug 22, 2010
Uwakwe Ogan was an Igbo-Ijaw period.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by komando: 9:33pm On Aug 22, 2010
@ Ibime
If I asked you the meaning of Uwakwe, I am sure it will be the same meaning with what Ezeuche would say.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by mrmayor(m): 10:09pm On Aug 22, 2010
I really don't have time for history lesson neither do I have the time to engage in Tribal Battles, I'll give some history outlines, advice do some research.

1. 14th century[b] Ibani[/b] people (Bonny to British) (Ubani to Ibos/Igbos) of of the Isedani linage left the homeland (Tubaratoro present day Kolokuma LGA [/b]in Bayelsa State)after a civil war.

2. They were led by 3 brothers [b](1) Alagbariya (2) Asikunuma aka Asimini (3) Opuamakuba
. ( Read,Trading States of Oil Rivers by James Currie)

3. They travelled through salt water mangroves,Ogoni land, Ndoki-Azumini, they picked up Ibo/ Igbo people on the way, in Ibani History  name like Opara Ndoli is known  ( Read, Chronicle Of Grand Bonny)

4. Alagbariya was the Hunter and High Priest of Ikuba ( National God of Ibani People) Iguna was its Sacred Animal ( Read Things Fall Apart)

5. Alagbariya in his travels found a place that had the same Ecology as his original Homeland in Central Ijaw. ( Chronicles of Grand Bonny)

6. He named the place[b] OKOLOMA[/b] ( Land of Curlew) it had same brackish salt water mangrove ecology as his homeland. All Ijaw refer to Bonny as Okoloma or Ibani

7. He reported to Opuamakuba, the first settled at Orupiri, at that time Tombia people were living at present day Finima (LNG Site) and Abalama people were at Abalamabie.

8. They arrive in the new home and found very little fresh water and Alagbariya as Priest of Ikuba sacrificed his daughter Osunju to the Gods for Fresh Water.

9. History records Opara Ndoli as leader/ Ruler of Ibani people at Orupiri, he didn't make the journey to Okoloma ( Bonny)

10. Opuamakuba was the first ruler in new home Okoloma, when he became old he handed over to Hunter/ Priest Alagbariya.

11. It was during Alagbariya's rule that the Portuguese first arrive. ( Read, Intelligence  Report On Bonny by H. Webber, Lower Niger and its Tribes P.A Talbot)

I'll stop here tonight.

1 Like

Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by komando: 10:32pm On Aug 22, 2010
You have vindicated the position that Igbos mixed with the Ijaws in many kingdoms: for example King Jaja, our own Ow11 on nairaland a.k.a Prince Uwakwe, and perhapse you.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by mrmayor(m): 10:48pm On Aug 22, 2010
komando:

You have vindicated the position that Igbos mixed with the Ijaws in many kingdoms: for example King Jaja, our own Ow11 on nairaland a.k.a Prince Uwakwe, and perhapse you.

Haha haha , just as I thought you picked up on Opara Ndoli grin grin grin grin

Don't piss yourself, the man known as Jubojubogha [/b]in Ibani which means [b]( Others have Bought [ Omoni= Slave] I have also bought) aka[b] Jaja [/b]came much later in history, i'll get to that later. Igbos did mix with City States of Eastern Ijaw Fringe Ibani( Bonny) Wakirike (Okirika) Nkoro, Opubo (Opobo) mainly due to Ex-Slaves absorbed into the war canoe houses.

Ibime was correct, Okirika is made up of two people Konuju and Tubonuju who after long years of fighting made peace and refer to themselves as Wakirike ( We Are One) no need to fight.

When I'm ready, I'll post the real history of Port Harcourt.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ow11(m): 11:00pm On Aug 22, 2010
Andre Uweh:

On a very serious note, Okrika people are not Igbo, but KALABARI. There might have been Igbo blood in them but they are not Igbo neither is their first language and names Igbo.

No matter how hard you scream, obstinate debaters with no desire to acquire any new information will never learn. Kalabari, Okrika and Ibani are mutually intelligible anyway.

komando:

I hope you are learning. . . Read up Andre Uweh and mrmayor's posts.

PS I thought Ibime was the one with the Uwakwe relationship OR in your usual style of make belief have decided to tar records. . .At least this one is written. wink
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by komando: 11:11pm On Aug 22, 2010
I hope you are learning. . . Read up Andre Uweh and mrmayor's posts. PS I thought Ibime was the one with the Uwakwe relationship OR in your usual style of make belief have decided to tar records. . .At least this one is written.

Bk babe trying to be polite and objective.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by komando: 11:14pm On Aug 22, 2010
Apologies though for mixing you up with Ibime.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ow11(m): 11:21pm On Aug 22, 2010
komando:

Apologies though for mixing you up with Ibime.

Perhaps there is hope! grin

komando:

I hope you are learning. . . Read up Andre Uweh and mrmayor's posts. PS I thought Ibime was the one with the Uwakwe relationship OR in your usual style of make belief have decided to tar records. . .At least this one is written.

Bk babe trying to be polite and objective.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (70) (Reply)

18+ Unclad Photos Of African Women Slaves From The Past. / Do You Consider Somalis As Black? / Yoruba Hebrew Heritage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.