Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,022 members, 7,818,024 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:02 AM

The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) (131616 Views)

Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland / Does Culture Define The Way Nigerian Men Act In Relationships To A Large Extent? / Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (70) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ezeagu(m): 12:39am On Aug 21, 2010
There should be regions, and within regions, each cultural section should have it's own division inside the region, sort of like how it was before. That is original cultural divisions.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ikenwan: 12:43am On Aug 21, 2010
Andre Uweh:

Get the records straight. Ngwaland do not share any boundary with Rivers state. South of Ngwaland is Ukwaland, and Ukwaland shares boundary with Rivers state.
@Onlytruth: Ngwaland is by far bigger than Nnewi and Ekwusigo.

If you search, you will see that we are sometimes referred to as Ngwa/Ukwa, or Ukwa-Ngwa.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Abagworo(m): 12:46am On Aug 21, 2010
Andre Uweh:

You are wrong. It is Ukwa that has boundary with Etche and Omuma.

andre ariaria market is near eberi which is in rivers state.infact aba city extends almost up to eberi omuma in rivers state.people live in omuma and come to work inside aba township.i will produce a map soon.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by EzeUche22(m): 12:46am On Aug 21, 2010
I hate the fact that this Ngwa boy has derailed my thread. We should be talking about the Igbo communities that are present in Edo, Delta, Benue, Rivers, and Cross Rivers State.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by EzeUche22(m): 12:48am On Aug 21, 2010
I have been screaming for regional governments as well. If you speak Igbo. You should be thrown into the Igbo speaking region.

No matter what you speak. If your grandfather's grandfather spoke Igbo or a variant of Igbo, then you should be in this region.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ezeagu(m): 12:50am On Aug 21, 2010
What exactly is Opobo people's identity, is Opobo an ethnic group?
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Abagworo(m): 12:51am On Aug 21, 2010
here is a link

http://travelingluck.com/Africa/Nigeria/Nigeria%20%28general%29/_2320395_Umuode.html#local_map
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by THEAMAKA(f): 12:51am On Aug 21, 2010
what happened to "Igbos are the most united ethnic group in Nigeria"
now all we hear is "states for this and that"
embarrassing.  embarassed
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ezeagu(m): 12:52am On Aug 21, 2010
EzeUche22:

No matter what you speak. If your grandfather's grandfather spoke Igbo or a variant of Igbo, then you should be in this region.

How will you fit Bonny and Opobo in then when there are other groups in the way of the larger Igbo speaking region?
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by EzeUche22(m): 12:53am On Aug 21, 2010
ezeagu:

What exactly is Opobo people's identity, is Opobo an ethnic group?

A mixture of the original Ibibio/Annang inhabitants and the Igbo slaves that passed through that region.

Let us not forget about Jaja of Opobo. An Igbo man.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by EzeUche22(m): 12:54am On Aug 21, 2010
THE AMAKA:

embarrassing.  embarassed

The state issue is not causing disunity among the Igbo. The only state being proposed is Anioma State to make it a majority Igbo state that is zoned to the south-east.

We are talking about Igbos in other states like Benue, Rivers, and Cross River
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ikenwan: 12:56am On Aug 21, 2010
EzeUche22:

I hate the fact that this Ngwa boy has derailed my thread. We should be talking about the Igbo communities that are present in Edo, Delta, Benue, Rivers, and Cross Rivers State.

We keep you on your toes.

EzeUche22:

The state issue is not causing disunity among the Igbo. The only state being proposed is Anioma State to make it a majority Igbo state that is zoned to the south-east.

But, you know, that is pretty clever.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by naijaking1: 12:57am On Aug 21, 2010
Let's go back to Port Harcourt for once.
Anybody doubting that it is not an Igbo enclave should please tell us the meaning of Obigbo?
We all know that's one of the surburbs.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by THEAMAKA(f): 12:57am On Aug 21, 2010
EzeUche22:

lol well your little arched Ngwa enemy "derailed" it.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by igboboy1(m): 12:58am On Aug 21, 2010
Aigbofa

Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland)
« #35 on: Yesterday at 01:09:09 PM »

Quote from: komando on Yesterday at 01:04:09 PM
You don't know the borders of Igboland!! If you did you wouldn't hav made the last post!

Trust me, Edo and and Delta are not part of iboland, so also is Port-Harcourt!!!

dont insult me u son of a gun, Obviously Delta is a multi ethnic state, however being an Igbo Nwa Afor From Delta you cant tell me my homeland isn't part of ALaigbo, Anuofia di ka gi
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Abagworo(m): 12:59am On Aug 21, 2010
back to topic.it is always wiser to use igbo-speaking than outrightly referring to one as igbo.this is because everyone has right to self determination.if i refuse to accept being igbo despite speaking the clearest version of the language and having the purest version of the culture,nobody can deny me my rights to be who i want to be.i can start my new ethnic group today or next 20 years or i might have started it 1970 thats my cup of tea.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by THEAMAKA(f): 1:01am On Aug 21, 2010
Abagworo:

back to topic.it is always wiser to use igbo-speaking than outrightly referring to one as igbo.this is because everyone has right to self determination.if i refuse to accept being igbo despite speaking the clearest version of the language and having the purest version of the culture,nobody can deny me my rights to be who i want to be.i can start my new ethnic group today or next 20 years or i might have started it 1970 thats my cup of tea.
no matter what you wanna call yourself
if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, then its probably a duck wink
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by AndreUweh(m): 1:02am On Aug 21, 2010
THE AMAKA:

embarrassing.  embarassed
That hurts a lot, but bear in mind that in Nigeria today, resources are distributed via states.  So If Ndigbo gets 5, Yorubas gets 6 and Hausa-Fulani gets 8, how do you feel about that.
So when we clamour for more states for Ndigbo, it is from this perspective.
We do not want to have more than others but what we crave for is parity.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by igboboy1(m): 1:04am On Aug 21, 2010
THE AMAKA:

if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, then its probably a duck  wink

nne e di kwa funny, Nice Analogy, this is to my Ika igbos, Ikwerre igbos and co, Ika have lots of cultural affinity with Benin (justifiably so cos they were under Benin Influence), but doesnt cease them from being Igbo,
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Abagworo(m): 1:08am On Aug 21, 2010
THE AMAKA:

if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, then its probably a duck  wink

it is not as simple as that.all these arguments,claims and counter-claims become nullified if you use the term ''igbo -speaking''.there are igbo speaking peoples of imo,abia,anambra,enugu,ebonyi,delta,edo,akwa ibom,crossriver,rivers and benue state.it is now left for the igbo speakers to accept being members of a larger group combining all the speakers.you might be a member and opt out if nothing good is coming out of it or you feel cheated.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by AndreUweh(m): 1:10am On Aug 21, 2010
@Igbo Boy: May your days be long. May God bless the day you joined Nairaland.
I am a member of Igbo Youths UK, and for the past five years now, two Delta Igbo sons have headed this organisation.
Majority of Delta Igbo people are proud Igbo. The few deviant cases are in Agbor area. But they are just a microscopic few.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by AndreUweh(m): 1:13am On Aug 21, 2010
Abagworo:

it is not as simple as that.all these arguments,claims and counter-claims become nullified if you use the term ''igbo -speaking''.there are igbo speaking peoples of imo,abia,anambra,enugu,ebonyi,delta,edo,akwa ibom,crossriver,rivers and benue state.it is now left for the igbo speakers to accept being members of a larger group combining all the speakers.you might be a member and opt out if nothing good is coming out of it or you feel cheated.
It is not easy as you think. CAN YOU SAY YOU ARE NO LONGER BLACK?. That will be an exercise in futility.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by chyz(m): 1:14am On Aug 21, 2010
Andre Uweh:

I am a member of Igbo Youths UK, and for the past five years now, two Delta Igbo sons have headed this organisation.
Majority of Delta Igbo people are proud Igbo. The few deviant cases are in Agbor area. But they are just a microscopic few.

[flash=200,200]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC7ZP1awln8[/flash] Ika: Agbor, Delta State (Igboland)
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by igboboy1(m): 1:17am On Aug 21, 2010
Andre Uweh:

Dont mind those agbor and aboh guys, The other day I was watching welcome to Lagos and this monkey AKA vocal slender was making fun of one guy that he is Igbo and he has no oil in his state, while him vocal slender is from agbor and has oil in his state (delta), I couldn't stop laughing

All jokes aside, a good 40% of Niger Deltans are Igbo (dont let media and all these SS, SE, Niger delta terms fool you)

Look at NDDC for example 4 of the 9 states are home to igbos, SO there are more igbo producing states than any other state but you know politics, They would rather divide igbos into here and there so they cant claim what is rightfully theirs along with our Niger delta Brethren
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by AndreUweh(m): 1:20am On Aug 21, 2010
It is interesting to note that during our Iri Ji festival in London some years back, a prominent Obi from Ikaland was our royal father of the day. For more information, go to www.icsn.co.uk
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by RichyBlacK(m): 1:21am On Aug 21, 2010
Abagworo:

Interesting perspective Abagworo.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by THEAMAKA(f): 1:22am On Aug 21, 2010
Andre Uweh:

That hurts a lot, but bear in mind that in Nigeria today, resources are distributed via states.  So If Ndigbo gets 5, Yorubas gets 6 and Hausa-Fulani gets 8, how do you feel about that.
So when we clamour for more states for Ndigbo, it is from this perspective.
We do not want to have more than others but what we crave for is parity.
true. thats why i think we should all go back to" regions/zones"

igbo boy:

nne e di kwa funny, Nice Analogy, this is to my Ika igbos, Ikwerre igbos and co, Ika have lots of cultural affinity with Benin (justifiably so cos they were under Benin Influence), but doesnt cease them from being Igbo,

wink wink wink

Abagworo:

looooooooooool, whatever! tongue
its still a duck
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by AndreUweh(m): 1:27am On Aug 21, 2010
Still on Ika, the Agbor town Union UK conducted a survey two years ago on their Igbo identity. 67% said they are Igbo. 15% said sort off, and the rest said no.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ChinenyeN(m): 1:55am On Aug 21, 2010
Abagworo, you narrated my understanding, completely. That is how I see all this "Igbo/non-Igbo" thing, because honestly, I believe people oversimply the complex with their "just Igbo; period" mentality.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ChinenyeN(m): 1:58am On Aug 21, 2010
Ezeagu, I like that outline you gave for regions.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by asha80(m): 2:00am On Aug 21, 2010
Onlytruth not only nnewi people. I suspect that the mbaise people do not really bother themselves much with autonomous community or clannish arrangement.They seem to embrace themselves whether aboh,ahiazu or ezinihitte.In not for the fact of the present 'allocation sysndrome' we are practising i suspect the mbaise local council would have remained one and quite formidable if local council were to generate their own revenue for the running of their council.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Onlytruth(m): 2:20am On Aug 21, 2010
asha 80:

Onlytruth not only nnewi people. I suspect that the mbaise people do not really bother themselves much with autonomous community or clannish arrangement.They seem to embrace themselves whether aboh,ahiazu or ezinihitte.In not for the fact of the present 'allocation sysndrome' we are practising i suspect the mbaise local council would have remained one and quite formidable if local council were to generate their own revenue for the running of their council.

That is the spirit. I don't know what folks gain from all the autonomous community nonsense. Unity is strength.

[size=14pt]Igboland is ONE![/size] cool cool

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (70) (Reply)

18+ Unclad Photos Of African Women Slaves From The Past. / Do You Consider Somalis As Black? / Yoruba Hebrew Heritage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.