Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,414 members, 7,954,651 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 04:58 AM

Does Innoson Manufacture Or Just Assemble Cars? - Car Talk (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Does Innoson Manufacture Or Just Assemble Cars? (37693 Views)

Does Innoson Assemble Or Manufacture? / Ingrace Motors Obtains FG Approval To Assemble Cars In Nigeria / Inside NTM's Multi-Billion Automobile Assemble Plant In Kano (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Innoson Manufacture Or Just Assemble Cars? by Chido052(m): 1:44pm On Feb 06, 2019
jjbest123:
From your write up,he manufactures. I'm thinking of buying IVM Bus for my firm,due to high cost of hiace bus,but the way people bad talk IVM products,i'm afraid.
Nigerians will always bad mouth anything that isn't benz or Lexus. With proper and constant care to any vehicle, it'll last far longer than expected. Haven't driven an IVM before, but you could also look into Peace's Ugama Hiace; I've been in one, and it's really sturdy and sound right.

1 Like

Re: Does Innoson Manufacture Or Just Assemble Cars? by Ebbunwa(m): 2:13pm On Feb 06, 2019
oyekanwahab:

yes and absolutely ,

it human been like me and you that put all those article on Wikipedia
wow! I'm surprised. So someone can post something to Wikipedia page just like that and another random person will just edit it just like that. Please enlighten me.
Re: Does Innoson Manufacture Or Just Assemble Cars? by PurestBoy(m): 2:40pm On Feb 06, 2019
jjbest123:
Sir,i am not here to argue with over owing a firm. I only seek positive feed back from people who have used IVM CARS. It might please you to use CAC PUBLIC SEARCH and find out about this two business. J A IGWE AND SONS(MANAGED BY MYSELF & TWO SIBLINGS.) & Jioplus Integrated Farms And Agro(MINE). Have a nice day!

You're still using 'sir' for that jobless thing. You disappoint me
Re: Does Innoson Manufacture Or Just Assemble Cars? by warriorPedigree: 4:26pm On Feb 06, 2019
stag:

Lol, I understand. But not all of them. I am not Igbo. Actually, I am one of those you’re abusing.

Nonetheless, Innoson and everything good from any and every part of the country should be applauded.

If you stop your attacks on ‘them’, there’s one less person to continue the futile tribalism on here, don’t you think so?

So I ask you, my friend, to make up your mind to stop tribal attacks.

And you never know, perhaps a butterfly from the West may land on your fourth finger someday, no?

Cheers friend.
lol you are a reasonable person ,I'd consider your stance

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does Innoson Manufacture Or Just Assemble Cars? by Khurtz: 4:50am On Feb 07, 2019
Dandsome:
He manufactures.

But some people with high infection of BRING HIM DOWN SYNDROME will rather die than agree that he manufactures simply because he's from the eastern part of the country.

My dad works with lambic who are contracted with Total E$P logistics, what I know for a fact is that they have a considerable large fleet of ivm buses that have been in service with them for 3 year and most are or can I say at least the ones Ive seen driven by my dad's friends are all clean and have been in almost perfect shape. Mind you I ask questions regularly.
Secondly I served in Lagos State , did my CDs with Frscn, I've observed they too have a fleet of ivm's although donated, but they work just fine, Nd they certainly have quite a few of them. If you've got doubts you can start by investigating from this companys
Re: Does Innoson Manufacture Or Just Assemble Cars? by tck2000(m): 11:53am On Sep 14, 2019
some people ehn
Re: Does Innoson Manufacture Or Just Assemble Cars? by Toks2008(m): 3:51am On Nov 10, 2019
warriorPedigree:

lol you are a reasonable person ,I'd consider your stance

Olakoredey@gmail.com
Re: Does Innoson Manufacture Or Just Assemble Cars? by antoniafire: 9:58am On Nov 10, 2019
Toks2008:

Olakoredey@gmail.com
haooy sunday. please dont forget I'm in your mail
Re: Does Innoson Manufacture Or Just Assemble Cars? by Midas02(m): 9:57am On Apr 02, 2020
A lot of comments I see here shows how little we Nigerians know about how industries really work. As much as we claim to love cars, we really have no clue about the industry! Innoson (IVM) is nothing but an SKD assembly plant!! I do not want to take anything away from his efforts as an industrialist, but com'on guys, we need to start coming clean on issues rather than making deceitful claims - it is the first rule of international business! Innoson really does what any other third world aspiring investor would do - he went to China, struck a deal with an OEM manufacturer who is looking to expand their market (BAIC in this instance) and then proceeded to start a simple assembly process using SKDs (Semi-Knocked down parts) from the OEM (BAIC). This in a nutshell, is IVM's business model. Quite unfortunately, rather than look at facts, many of our fellow countrymen will keep propagating lies (because nah my broda from my village nah!), keep wallowing in ignorance and self-deceit! Innoson is doing what is needed to grow an industry and if he keeps having success, perhaps at some point in the far future, the company may actually have the funds and the (R& D) department needed to develop an indigenous product.! For now however, all we have is an assembly plant - one that is a great deal inferior to what PAN and VWON had been able to accomplish in the 70s and early 80s. And if you ask me why? Well, PAN and VWON were fully fledged assembly plants that were capable of a complete assembly processes (called CKD assembly). CKD (Completely Knocked Down parts) plants, unlike Semi-Knocked Down (SKD) plants, involves putting together hundreds of components and parts that came in bolts and nuts pieces which often includes structural welding and paint shop! SKD on the other hand is like a starters kit in which most of the components come pre-assembled and painted, you only need to couple the major components together to have a car! Again, CKD comes in pieces, while SKD comes in Component parts. The only thing that was missing from the former PAN and VWON operation in being able to completely manufacture was that there was no Sheet metal stamping, robotic welds, design department and (R& D) department! If you ask me, Nigeria was a lot more advanced in the 70s! Most of the auto manufacturers in Nigeria now simply do SKD and that is why they can get by with such small assembly plants! In finality, for the sake of the stubborn ones in our midst, I will break down the source of each of Innoson's car models for you - google is your friend!:

1. Innoson G80 is simply a locally assembled and rebadged BAIC BJ80
2. Innoson G40 again is a locally assembled and rebadged BAIC BJ40
3. Innoson G6 is a locally assembled & rebadged Zhongxing ZX Tiger SUV (an obscure Chinese manufacturer)
4. Innoson G5 is a locally assembled & rebadged Gonow Aoosed G5 (A subsidiary of GAC)
5. Innoson Granite is a locally assembled & rebadged Zhongxing ZX Terralord
6. Innoson Carrier is a locally assembled & rebadged Zhongxing ZX Tiger TUV
7. Innoson G20 is a locally assembled & rebadged Weiwang M20 (Weiwang is a subsidiary of BAIC)
8. Innoson Fox is a locally assembled & rebadged BAIC E150/E130 Hatchback
9. Innoson Umu is a locally assembled & rebadged BAIC E150/E130 Sedan
10. Innoson 6540 bus is basically a locally assembled & rebadged Foton View (Itself an unauthorized copy of Toyota's 5th Gen. Hiace) *
11. Innoson 5000 Van is basically a locally assembled & rebadged Foton Alpha (Itself an unauthorised copy of Toyota's 4th Gen. Hiace) *
* Note: Foton is yet another subsidiary of BAIC!

And there you have it - a complete and undiluted synopsis on the basis, origin and source of Innoson vehicles! IVM's much taunted automobile 'original manufacturing' claims are largely false! If anyone is still in doubt, google is your friend - please make use of it!

As I said, Innoson does assemble from SKD components - this makes them a local assembly plant by law! There is currently a Nigerian policy (Nigerian Automotive Industry development Plan (NAIDP)) that has been implemented since 2015 which now makes it attractive for Manufacturers and investors to set up small local SKD assembly plants. Innoson, like many others, is simply taking advantage of this. Although I refer to many of the models "locally assembled & rebadged", in reality many of them may not even assembled but may just be imported and marketed under the brand! I am not sure which ones are imported (I don't have the data) but from the pricing, I do suspect that both the G80 and the G40 are simply imported! The NAIDP policy allows and encourages local assembly manufacturers to import 2 vehicles for every vehicle assembled in Nigeria - for this, they get a reduced duty rate (35%) instead of (70%)! At N27 million, it is pretty obvious that the G80 is one of those ones imported!

In my opinion, it would have been better and more credible to simply be truthful and own up to the fact that as a young company, they have no proprietary technology and indeed can't be expected to have one for many years. Being an Assembly plant is good enough for many developed countries and I see no reason to lie!

My two cents.

5 Likes

Re: Does Innoson Manufacture Or Just Assemble Cars? by nymphomaniac(m): 10:06am On Aug 22, 2020
Midas02:
A lot of comments I see here shows how little we Nigerians know about how industries really work. As much as we claim to love cars, we really have no clue about the industry! Innoson (IVM) is nothing but an SKD assembly plant!! I do not want to take anything away from his efforts as an industrialist, but com'on guys, we need to start coming clean on issues rather than making deceitful claims - it is the first rule of international business! Innoson really does what any other third world aspiring investor would do - he went to China, struck a deal with an OEM manufacturer who is looking to expand their market (BAIC in this instance) and then proceeded to start a simple assembly process using SKDs (Semi-Knocked down parts) from the OEM (BAIC). This in a nutshell, is IVM's business model. Quite unfortunately, rather than look at facts, many of our fellow countrymen will keep propagating lies (because nah my broda from my village nah!), keep wallowing in ignorance and self-deceit! Innoson is doing what is needed to grow an industry and if he keeps having success, perhaps at some point in the far future, the company may actually have the funds and the (R& D) department needed to develop an indigenous product.! For now however, all we have is an assembly plant - one that is a great deal inferior to what PAN and VWON had been able to accomplish in the 70s and early 80s. And if you ask me why? Well, PAN and VWON were fully fledged assembly plants that were capable of a complete assembly processes (called CKD assembly). CKD (Completely Knocked Down parts) plants, unlike Semi-Knocked Down (SKD) plants, involves putting together hundreds of components and parts that came in bolts and nuts pieces which often includes structural welding and paint shop! SKD on the other hand is like a starters kit in which most of the components come pre-assembled and painted, you only need to couple the major components together to have a car! Again, CKD comes in pieces, while SKD comes in Component parts. The only thing that was missing from the former PAN and VWON operation in being able to completely manufacture was that there was no Sheet metal stamping, robotic welds, design department and (R& D) department! If you ask me, Nigeria was a lot more advanced in the 70s! Most of the auto manufacturers in Nigeria now simply do SKD and that is why they can get by with such small assembly plants! In finality, for the sake of the stubborn ones in our midst, I will break down the source of each of Innoson's car models for you - google is your friend!:

3. Innoson G6 is a locally assembled & rebadged Zhongxing ZX Tiger SUV (an obscure Chinese manufacturer)
4. Innoson G5 is a locally assembled & rebadged Gonow Aoosed G5 (A subsidiary of GAC)
7. Innoson G20 is a locally assembled & rebadged Weiwang M20 (Weiwang is a subsidiary of BAIC)
10. Innoson 6540 bus is basically a locally assembled & rebadged Foton View (Itself an unauthorized copy of Toyota's 5th Gen. Hiace) *
11. Innoson 5000 Van is basically a locally assembled & rebadged Foton Alpha (Itself an unauthorised copy of Toyota's 4th Gen. Hiace) *

And there you have it - a complete and undiluted synopsis on the basis, origin and source of Innoson vehicles! IVM's much taunted automobile 'original manufacturing' claims are largely false! If anyone is still in doubt, google is your friend - please make use of it!

As I said, Innoson does assemble from SKD components - this makes them a local assembly plant by law! There is currently a Nigerian policy (Nigerian Automotive Industry development Plan (NAIDP)) that has been implemented since 2015 which now makes it attractive for Manufacturers and investors to set up small local SKD assembly plants. Innoson, like many others, is simply taking advantage of this. Although I refer to many of the models "locally assembled & rebadged", in reality many of them may not even assembled but may just be imported and marketed under the brand! I am not sure which ones are imported (I don't have the data) but from the pricing, I do suspect that both the G80 and the G40 are simply imported! The NAIDP policy allows and encourages local assembly manufacturers to import 2 vehicles for every vehicle assembled in Nigeria - for this, they get a reduced duty rate (35%) instead of (70%)! At N27 million, it is pretty obvious that the G80 is one of those ones imported!

In my opinion, it would have been better and more credible to simply be truthful and own up to the fact that as a young company, they have no proprietary technology and indeed can't be expected to have one for many years. Being an Assembly plant is good enough for many developed countries and I see no reason to lie!

My two cents.
God will bless you for this

1 Like

Re: Does Innoson Manufacture Or Just Assemble Cars? by EgunMogaji2: 11:25am On Aug 22, 2020
Midas02:

My two cents.

Absolutely brilliant.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

This Bicycle Can Be Folded, Charged And Be Used To Charge Other Devices / Innoson Produces Parts For Nigerian AirForce Fighter Jets / Chief Ade-Ojo Of Elizade Spotted Behind The Wheels Of A Tiger Avon Race-Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.