Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,041 members, 7,956,876 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 09:15 PM

Backing Baby Vs Baby Carrier - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Backing Baby Vs Baby Carrier (39362 Views)

Alpha Male Vs Baby Mama Wahala In My Street ! / Which Baby Carrier Is Better / Photo Of A Husband Backing His Plus-Sized Wife Through Pains (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Backing Baby Vs Baby Carrier by femi4: 6:51am On Feb 22, 2019
realtalk19:

for me I prefer backing my child.its convinient for me unlike carriage in front whereby u still needed to support the weight of the baby with ur hands.

my son is 2years and I still back him conviniently when going out but can u put a 2year old in front?

how is your breast......Is it affected
Re: Backing Baby Vs Baby Carrier by birdie: 7:02am On Feb 22, 2019
ImaIma1:
Hello Nairalanders,

This topic has always been a controversy. Some weeks back I had my baby in the carrier as I was walking down the road and one woman(looks like in her 50s) shouted from a car that I was punishing my baby and I should back her.
My older neighbour has asked if I am a kangaroo.
Please is backing the standard? Do you ladies back or use a carrier? What is your take on this?

It depends on the weather. Backing baby on the back keeps the baby warm with heat from the mothers body so this is good when it's cold. At other times however, the baby carrier is okay especially in crowd places where one need to keep and eye on the young ones.

1 Like

Re: Backing Baby Vs Baby Carrier by itodojr(m): 7:04am On Feb 22, 2019
For me baby carrier comes with numerous advant ages.
1.security:it give's whosoever using it the opport unity to have an eye on the baby at all time as against back which one may never know what is going on with the baby.
2.posture And Physique:Using baby carrier is less prone to breast sagging and it gives room for more comfort hence,giving a smart appearance.
Re: Backing Baby Vs Baby Carrier by Nastofar(f): 7:05am On Feb 22, 2019
There was a research about this topic in the past. And the conclusion was that the reason Africans are stronger than White is because Africans back their babies at the back which makes them stronger especially their backbone. Go to most Yorubas home you will see what we call Oja to support the baby after using wrapper. Yoruba women must gift their daughter or daughter in law an Oja after childbirth. My mum gave me but I did not use it much because of open eye. I think the best thing to consider is the baby's advantages instead of satisfying yours.

2 Likes

Re: Backing Baby Vs Baby Carrier by Reference(m): 7:07am On Feb 22, 2019
I think the safety and comfort of both parties, the mother (as in this case) and the child is more important than the type or culture of the physical device used to carry the child. There are two popular carrier positions, front facing and back facing. Both have advantages, disadvantages, dangers and discomfort so it all depends on ones activities while carrying the child.

Most traditional carriers are back facing (few side facing) and this had been so because traditionally the African woman has always been hands on when handling children and multitasking at the same time so cooking, cleaning, farming, etc are things not safely or comfortably done with a front facing carrier. Also the longer hours in carraige puts great strain on the body of the traditional African woman. Front facing carriers exert more strain on the body frame so it is unlikely going to be used where public infrastructure is lacking.

Back facing carriers are also considered more risky to the baby when used outdoors because the baby is not in visual line of sight and for some activities can even endanger the mother due to the severely altered profile and centre of gravity. If movement is made through tight and obstructed confines like open markets it may be wiser and safer to front carry for the safety of both parties.

I think these should be the criteria for using whatever method. There is no one system fits all. Safety and comfort should be the decider. When those considerations have been met then other mundane issues such as modern or traditional carries can be considered. As such it will be wierd to use slings to carry your baby when dressed in traditional gear to a local function just as it will be wierd to use a wrapper to your son's weekend fun outing while you are dressed in a t-shirt and slacks.

1 Like

Re: Backing Baby Vs Baby Carrier by Samsonklin(m): 7:10am On Feb 22, 2019
ireneidiva:

Yes.I also believe we should drop the old ways when better ones come out. You can monitor your baby more in front. I cant see why you would advice women to carry thier babies at the back for no useful reason asides the fact that it is the old way. So like you said, leave people to do what suits them.
All your responses shows you’re a rude lady..
no one is forcing their opinion on you, be civilized enough to know what words to use in replying people. I repeat, you sound like a troublesome woman. Na your type dey follow nurses and doctors fight.

2 Likes

Re: Backing Baby Vs Baby Carrier by Reference(m): 7:16am On Feb 22, 2019
itodojr:
For me baby carrier comes with numerous advant ages.
1.security:it give's whosoever using it the opport unity to have an eye on the baby at all time as against back which one may never know what is going on with the baby.
2.posture And Physique:Using baby carrier is less prone to breast sagging and it gives room for more comfort hence,giving a smart appearance.

And I have heard of serious domestic injuries resulting from baby carriers especially the from facing ones (more common in the market), so my conclusion is such that your activities dictate what you use. If outdoors your mode of transport, where you go, what you intend to do where you go will decide what you use. So for a woman/man of this age, in this country, it is wise to be competent with both and be fully aware of their advantages and limitations.
Re: Backing Baby Vs Baby Carrier by Reference(m): 7:19am On Feb 22, 2019
birdie:

It depends on the weather. Backing baby on the back keeps the baby warm with heat from the mothers body so this is good when it's cold. At other times however, the baby carrier is okay especially in crowd places where one need to keep and eye on the young ones.

There are back facing baby carriers and slings, just not common here, why, I donot know.

1 Like

Re: Backing Baby Vs Baby Carrier by NoToPile: 7:26am On Feb 22, 2019
My mum told me a chilling story of something that happened in the 80s about a woman who wanted to cross at Iyana Isolo and was using a baby carrier, the carrier gave way and the speeding vehicles crushed the baby while the woman almost ran mad. I think she made it up sha. So I didnt go near a baby carrier at all. grin grin thank God I didnt my baby is quite big grin grin.

A carriers major advantage is that you would see your baby and no one can touch etc, its a sort of security measure in these days of people rubbing babys head anyhow etc etc. Now I have seen some terrible carriers, very terrible ones and its obvious the baby is very uncomfortable not quite firm etc so If one would go for a carrier abeg buy original one.
I have seen some very nice and firm ones but a bit pricey.

For our wrapper matter, always handy. I use our Yoruba Oja for firmness the babys weight doesnt drag on the breast and I am good to go, fear of wrapper alone giving way but I do see some peeps who are expert at using wrapper alone. Peeps have made different materials and colors of wrapper and oja so you can even color match or color block, the only disadvantage is that your baby would not be in your line of view that all.

4 Likes

Re: Backing Baby Vs Baby Carrier by Abuventure: 7:36am On Feb 22, 2019
Baby carrier is more comfortable and safe than backing
Re: Backing Baby Vs Baby Carrier by ireneidiva(f): 7:42am On Feb 22, 2019
Eroms4life17:

My sister it's not about old way. It's about what's best for the child. Nobody should make a woman who backs her child to be shamed. I know how I feel when my mum tells me she backed me. It humbles me even it now. Don't wonder too much why some kids these days don't have have that telepathic connection with their parents. It's because of things like this which people commonize. But in the real sense, they matter.
My conclusion is that if you want to use carrier, go ahead but do not shame those who back their babies.
If you back your baby, you are more of a mother than those who don't! You can take that to the bank!
Nobody is shaming anybody.
Re: Backing Baby Vs Baby Carrier by ireneidiva(f): 7:43am On Feb 22, 2019
Samsonklin:

All your responses shows you’re a rude lady..
no one is forcing their opinion on you, be civilized enough to know what words to use in replying people. I repeat, you sound like a troublesome woman. Na your type dey follow nurses and doctors fight.
Hmmmm
Re: Backing Baby Vs Baby Carrier by oloriLFC(f): 7:57am On Feb 22, 2019
I backed my first, backing my second, and will back the next one cos I feel more comfortable with it, even my baby rests his head on my back immediately I tuck him in. I'm not using the carrier not cos I can't afford it or that I'm "old school" but cos I prefer using the wrapper
Re: Backing Baby Vs Baby Carrier by hahn(m): 8:45am On Feb 22, 2019
ImaIma1:
Hello Nairalanders,

This topic has always been a controversy. Some weeks back I had my baby in the carrier as I was walking down the road and one woman(looks like in her 50s) shouted from a car that I was punishing my baby and I should back her.
My older neighbour has asked if I am a kangaroo.
Please is backing the standard? Do you ladies back or use a carrier? What is your take on this?

When my wife had our son we were a bit at a conflict of how to carry him.

From our experience I'd say both are okay.

The carrier is more comfortable for the baby and it is easier for the mother to watch and even breast feed him/her. Also when you are on a bike or in a car it is very comfortable as well.

I read somewhere online that backing a baby reduces rick of them having back pain. My son hates backing by the way.

As far as those old women and people who are allergic to minding their own business. Just ignore them. After all they are not paying any of your bills

1 Like

Re: Backing Baby Vs Baby Carrier by lobell: 9:10am On Feb 22, 2019
The back is ergonomically better designed for carrying babies.

1. Women have small waist to hip ratios effectively providing space for the babies legs to wrap around while their big bumbum supports the babies weight from underneath.
2. The curvature of the back implies a receptacle or space if you like where the baby fits snugly.
3. It has been medically proven that backed babies have lower chances of developing hip problems later in life that requires very expensive hip replacement surgeries.

On the converse, carrying a baby in front to my mind has only one advantage which is keeping an eye out because of evil people. The disadvantages include:

1. Our women have big stomachs from eating too much nkwobi and beer and this pushes on the poor baby reducing its lung capacity causing breathing problems. Also, baby's legs find no comfortable space to stay and just stick down straight like amala turning stick.
2. Their massive boobies exert a choke compress on the babies neck or face effectively smothering it.
3. If mummy falls, the impact on the baby is more as falling backwards will almost inevitably land you on your cushy bum far from baby.

Okay bye.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Backing Baby Vs Baby Carrier by bigtt76(f): 9:33am On Feb 22, 2019
Backing allows the baby sleep comfortably than when carried in front. Baby's sleep would be distrubed by your breathing and head movement. For the backing, you can use a carrier if available.
Re: Backing Baby Vs Baby Carrier by Herdeybayo1(m): 9:51am On Feb 22, 2019
YORUBAAAAAAAA Yoruba people can't correct someone without adding insult as a suffix. (1) Do it like this,,,,,,,,ode. (2) Press the red button,...oponu. (3) Hold it for me,......didirin! (4) You can't greet person,...alaileko. (5) Give it to your brother,...agbaya. (6) Go and take your bath,...obun. (7) Go and do your assignment,.Olodo. ( You better wake up,...oloorun iya. (9) Yago lona funmi joor,......arindin. (10) Iwo ni mo ‘npe......aditi. (11) Where are you coming from, ...onirin kurin? (12) Stop writing on the wall,...baseje! (13) You forgot what I just told you now,....... alakogbagbe. (14) So the one you ate is not enough, .....olo’un je iya. (15) Who put your mouth there,.....saliu elenu gboro? (16) Is that where I asked you to put it, abunu. (17) I know you are laughing now..... oni yeye. (18)Shaa forward it to others,...amebo.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Backing Baby Vs Baby Carrier by Nimi22(f): 12:26pm On Feb 22, 2019
I used both but when I had my baby but now I back my baby more. I stopped using the carrier since my baby was 4 months and his weight was already bending me forward but now he's almost 16months. Will I use a carrier for a baby at that age? And the day I forgot wrapper at home and decided to enter market I will never try that again. Carrying a baby in the hand in market? Backing my baby all the way abeg.
Re: Backing Baby Vs Baby Carrier by ImaIma1(f): 1:04pm On Feb 22, 2019
hahn:

When my wife had our son we were a bit at a conflict of how to carry him.

From our experience I'd say both are okay.

The carrier is more comfortable for the baby and it is easier for the mother to watch and even breast feed him/her. Also when you are on a bike or in a car it is very comfortable as well.

I read somewhere online that backing a baby reduces rick of them having back pain. My son hates backing by the way.

As far as those old women and people who are allergic to minding their own business. Just ignore them. After all they are not paying any of your bills

It's just that they believe the way they do it is the better way and every other way is inferior. That is why they find it hard to mind their business

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Backing Baby Vs Baby Carrier by hahn(m): 1:28pm On Feb 22, 2019
ImaIma1:

It's just that they believe the way they do it is the better way and every other way is inferior. That is why they find it hard to mind their business

There are also myths attached to it and some believe if you put your baby in a carrier it won't be intelligent. Someone once said this and became dumbfounded when I asked her since majority of Europeans don't back their kids does that make them dumb?

They are just jobless

1 Like

Re: Backing Baby Vs Baby Carrier by candygirl4real: 2:03pm On Feb 22, 2019
Do whatever suits you and the baby.i use a carrier but i am more comfortable backing my baby, it makes my movement smarter and faster. With a carrier i find myself strolling and holding my babies head

1 Like

Re: Backing Baby Vs Baby Carrier by CAPSLOCKED: 2:20pm On Feb 22, 2019
hahn:

There are also myths attached to it and some believe if you put your baby in a carrier it won't be intelligent.

--IF SHE EATS OKRA WHILE PREGNANT, HER BABY WILL BE SLOW.
--IF SHE EATS CURRY, SHE AND THE BABY WILL DEVELOP BODY ODOUR.
--IF SHE DARES EXERCISE SHE'LL GIVE BIRTH TO A STUBBORN CHILD, OR A COMPLETE TOUT.
--IF YOU DON'T PHYSICALLY MOLEST YOUR CHILD, PULL HIM UP AND DOWN CARELESSLY HE WON'T BE AGILE WHEN HE GROWS UP.
--PEOPLE'S HEADS ARE OF DIFFERENT SHAPES BECAUSE OF THE WAY THEIR MOTHERS PRESSED THEIR SKULLS WITH WARM WATER AND TOWEL WHEN THEY WERE BORN.

NIGERIANS LIKE TO BELIEVE NONSENSE. cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Backing Baby Vs Baby Carrier by ImaIma1(f): 3:28pm On Feb 22, 2019
hahn:

There are also myths attached to it and some believe if you put your baby in a carrier it won't be intelligent. Someone once said this and became dumbfounded when I asked her since majority of Europeans don't back their kids does that make them dumb?

They are just jobless

Lol... meanwhile the whites are more creative and inventive than the blacks and they don't back..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Backing Baby Vs Baby Carrier by Nobody: 3:31pm On Feb 22, 2019
I would rather get a sling over the shoulder carrier I want to always be able to check on him or her
Re: Backing Baby Vs Baby Carrier by Sundarita: 5:30pm On Feb 22, 2019
The man is meant to back the baby, it isn't a woman's work.
Re: Backing Baby Vs Baby Carrier by AceRoyal: 12:29am On Feb 23, 2019
Sundarita:
The man is meant to back the baby, it isn't a woman's work.
Are you at peace with yourself, I sense so much anger.....yet living in denial. smiley
Re: Backing Baby Vs Baby Carrier by Sundarita: 12:47am On Feb 23, 2019
AceRoyal:

Are you at peace with yourself, I sense so much anger.....yet living in denial. smiley
Is it your peace or anger or even your denial? No, so f##k off.
Re: Backing Baby Vs Baby Carrier by AceRoyal: 12:51am On Feb 23, 2019
Sundarita:

Is it your peace or anger or even your denial? No, so f##k off.
Is that all.....? smiley
Re: Backing Baby Vs Baby Carrier by Sundarita: 12:59am On Feb 23, 2019
AceRoyal:

Is that all.....? smiley
Whatever .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Can A 37 Yrs Old Single Lady Attract Suitors? / Jane Iyke Leaves Disturbing Note On Instagram / Men And Their Cheating Ways.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.