Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,390 members, 7,815,830 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:04 PM

Power Reaches 5,375MW, Sustains 5,000MW Trend For 7 Days - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Power Reaches 5,375MW, Sustains 5,000MW Trend For 7 Days (10628 Views)

Abubakar Aliyu: Why We Can’t Generate 5,000MW Of Electricity / Obi: In 24 Years, APC, PDP Couldn’t Move Power Generation From 4,000 To 5,000MW / Nigeria And Germany Sign The 11,000mw Roadmap Deal To Improve Electricity - APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Power Reaches 5,375MW, Sustains 5,000MW Trend For 7 Days by theoldpretender(m): 8:57am On Feb 12, 2019
bongolistik:
Story! And mind you Nuclear is nowhere near South Africa major sources of electricity but contributes only to about 15% to their national grid.

South Africa generates majority of its electricity via coal fired power plants. So Nigerians too are scared of coal huuh? Where are all the coal deposits in Enugu and what do we use them for?

Brazil generates over 90,000MW of electricity via their major source of electricity, which is Hydro... So Nigeria is also scared of water huuh? Please say something else

It boils down to the fact that we need more money to fund increased generation in Nigeria..

And we cannot get that money when government agenices, and ordinary Nigerians are shortchanging the DISCOS by not paying for power, and when DISCOS are forced by the laws governing the privatisation to pay for power at a rate lower than it is produced.

And fixing the lights is going to cost anywhere between $300bn to $900bn .

Either we pay higher bills via deregulation, or we keep on taking loans.

The problem is bigger than you think.
Re: Power Reaches 5,375MW, Sustains 5,000MW Trend For 7 Days by sogodihno: 8:58am On Feb 12, 2019
SouthSouth1914:
Few days to election! Damage control.. if you know, you know.. If you don’t know, just know!! grin

just shut up! why didn't PDP generate up to this close to 2015 election, at least for election sake?
Re: Power Reaches 5,375MW, Sustains 5,000MW Trend For 7 Days by Nobody: 9:00am On Feb 12, 2019
Arysexy:

Pls name the power stations PMB built that added the 3000MW.

This lies must be bursted today, for your info, I work in the power sector.

Just name d power stations that earned Ur god 3000MW in 3 years.

Im waiting....
Sorry to deviate a bit. Does lighting affects power cut in Nigeria? If yes why does it take time for phcn staff to restore power supply or is it automatically programmed?
Re: Power Reaches 5,375MW, Sustains 5,000MW Trend For 7 Days by Nobody: 9:04am On Feb 12, 2019
rusher14:

You can even say you haven't eaten since 2015 and I would believe you.
That is the truth Mr. APC just messed the whole thing with propaganda claiming to be generating extra 3,000 mgw. Mgw from which power house huh cool ? How many power plant have they build to warrant additional megawatts?

1 Like

Re: Power Reaches 5,375MW, Sustains 5,000MW Trend For 7 Days by airsaylongcon: 9:05am On Feb 12, 2019
rusher14:

We've taken it back to 1984.

shocked

If that's the case, I assume you never voted him in the first place.

I would reiterate, drivers of economy amongst others, would be infrastructure. There's no denying we've never had it so good with infrastructure.

You are free to choose. Just don't do it to spite your face.

If we don't know our past we cannot build our future. What's wrong with taking it back to 84? grin
And you are right, I didn't vote for him last time. Heck I haven't voted for anyone apart from Baba Olú Falae in 1999. So for me to have gone out to register and insist on voting this time says a lot about I feel the incumbent have performed.

I am choosing a different leader hoping he will deliver on what I see are well elucidated plans. If he doesn't, we kick him out and bring in another. These leaders must know that they have only four years guaranteed. A second term is a bonus for having performed.

In all of this, we ask God to bless Nigeria
Re: Power Reaches 5,375MW, Sustains 5,000MW Trend For 7 Days by rusher14: 9:09am On Feb 12, 2019
asuustrike1:

That is the truth Mr. APC just messed the whole thing with propaganda claiming to be generating extra 3,000 mgw. Mgw from which power house huh cool ? How many power plant have they build to warrant additional megawatts?

Some of you are wilfully blind.

https://constructionreviewonline.com/2019/01/nigeria-completes-construction-of-8-multi-million-dollar-power-plants/

Re: Power Reaches 5,375MW, Sustains 5,000MW Trend For 7 Days by rusher14: 9:12am On Feb 12, 2019
asuustrike1:

A fortnight ago, President Muhammadu Buhari commissioned a 9.5megawatt independent power plant built by a private consortium under the umbrella of Energising Economies Initiative (EEI) of the Rural Electrification Agency (REA) in Aba, Abia State. The plant is to supply electricity to up to 47,000 shops and small businesses operating at the Ariaria International Market.

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/as-independent-power-plant-lights-up-ariaria-market.html
Re: Power Reaches 5,375MW, Sustains 5,000MW Trend For 7 Days by Nobody: 9:12am On Feb 12, 2019
rusher14:

Some of you are wilfully blind.

https://constructionreviewonline.com/2019/01/nigeria-completes-construction-of-8-multi-million-dollar-power-plants/
It didn't state they added 3,000 megawatts so where is that arbitrary figure coming from?
Re: Power Reaches 5,375MW, Sustains 5,000MW Trend For 7 Days by Nobody: 9:14am On Feb 12, 2019
rusher14:

A fortnight ago, President Muhammadu Buhari commissioned a 9.5megawatt independent power plant built by a private consortium under the umbrella of Energising Economies Initiative (EEI) of the Rural Electrification Agency (REA) in Aba, Abia State. The plant is to supply electricity to up to 47,000 shops and small businesses operating at the Ariaria International Market.

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/as-independent-power-plant-lights-up-ariaria-market.html
Does that translate to arbitrary figure of 3,000 megawatts? undecided
Re: Power Reaches 5,375MW, Sustains 5,000MW Trend For 7 Days by rusher14: 9:16am On Feb 12, 2019
airsaylongcon:

If we don't know our past we cannot build our future. What's wrong with taking it back to 84? grin
And you are right, I didn't vote for him last time. Heck I haven't voted for anyone apart from Baba Olú Falae in 1999. So for me to have gone out to register and insist on voting this time says a lot about I feel the incumbent have performed.

I am choosing a different leader hoping he will deliver on what I see are well elucidated plans. If he doesn't, we kick him out and bring in another. These leaders must know that they have only four years guaranteed. A second term is a bonus for having performed.

In all of this, we ask God to bless Nigeria

Your vote is your right.

May you be led by enlightenment, peace and sanguinity in making your decision.
Re: Power Reaches 5,375MW, Sustains 5,000MW Trend For 7 Days by rusher14: 9:19am On Feb 12, 2019
asuustrike1:

It didn't state they added 3,000 megawatts so where is that arbitrary figure coming from?

Your problem is that you are looking for 3,000 megawatts whilst the apolitical are only concerned about power improving.
Re: Power Reaches 5,375MW, Sustains 5,000MW Trend For 7 Days by lordkay10(m): 9:29am On Feb 12, 2019
naijapips04:
So it's no longer 7000mw? APC and lies.

I live in Lagos. I'm lucky if I see light (power) for 8 hours a day. It's so frustrating.

Illiterate, there's difference between generation(7000MW) and transmission(5,300MW). Go school, una no gree
Re: Power Reaches 5,375MW, Sustains 5,000MW Trend For 7 Days by Nobody: 9:29am On Feb 12, 2019
rusher14:

Your problem is that you are looking for 3,000 megawatts whilst the apolitical are only concerned about power improving.
Your problem is lying with figures. There is no improvement in power supply in many areas. So where is this arbitrary figures coming from?

1 Like

Re: Power Reaches 5,375MW, Sustains 5,000MW Trend For 7 Days by Nobody: 9:31am On Feb 12, 2019
rusher14:

Your problem is lying with figures. There is no improvement in power supply in many areas. So where is this arbitrary figures coming from?. If there is improvement many will state it here so please stop all spreading lies
Re: Power Reaches 5,375MW, Sustains 5,000MW Trend For 7 Days by Arysexy(m): 9:33am On Feb 12, 2019
asuustrike1:

Sorry to deviate a bit. Does lighting affects power cut in Nigeria? If yes why does it take time for phcn staff to restore power supply or is it automatically programmed?

If you mean lightening, yes it does for unearthed power facilities.

Discos complain of not getting back the money for the power they distribute due to bypassing, energy theft etc. Hence they are reluctant to distribute more and earn less. Bear in mind that what ever Generating stations give out must be accounted for by Transmission Company of Nigeria TCN, and whatever TCN gives to Discos must be accounted for. Now whatever Discos give to consumers must be accounted for, but they complain of not getting back the money value of what they distribute, hence they are reluctant to restore supply any time there is outage of any form as TCN meter won't read those times

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Power Reaches 5,375MW, Sustains 5,000MW Trend For 7 Days by rusher14: 9:34am On Feb 12, 2019
asuustrike1:

Your problem is lying with figures. There is no improvement in power supply in many areas. So where is this arbitrary figures coming from?

If the market in Ariaria alone is off the same grid what do you think the residual would be?

Give it up already.

The stats have been positive for some time now.

Even when there is a dip, it is so, only for a short while.
Re: Power Reaches 5,375MW, Sustains 5,000MW Trend For 7 Days by naijapips04: 9:35am On Feb 12, 2019
lordkay10:

Illiterate, there's difference between generation(7000MW) and transmission(5,300MW). Go school, una no gree

shut up. Nigeria has been generating over 7000MW since 2014. APC told us they have transmitted 7000mw when they came in.

https://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2018/03/19/we-can-now-generate-transmit-over-7000mw-of-electricity-minister/

1 Like

Re: Power Reaches 5,375MW, Sustains 5,000MW Trend For 7 Days by Nobody: 9:38am On Feb 12, 2019
rusher14:

If the market in Ariaria alone is off the same grid what do you think the residual would be?

Give it up already.

The stats have been positive for some time now.

Even when there is a dip, it is so, only for a short while.
Mr man stop the lies.Using Ariaria market to justify failure isn't good enough. Many cities and towns are experiencing power cut on daily basis. Some rarely see 6hrs power a day while my end is 2hrs so stop the crap by using Ariaria market
Re: Power Reaches 5,375MW, Sustains 5,000MW Trend For 7 Days by dwizzed(m): 9:38am On Feb 12, 2019
Elections don near.. If you know, you know.
Re: Power Reaches 5,375MW, Sustains 5,000MW Trend For 7 Days by rusher14: 9:41am On Feb 12, 2019
asuustrike1:

Mr man stop the lies.Using Ariaria market to justify failure isn't good enough. Many cities and towns are experiencing power cut on daily basis. Some rarely see 6hrs power a day while my end is 2hrs so stop the crap by using Ariaria market

I should take your word over newspaper reportage?
Look at this kid.

Re: Power Reaches 5,375MW, Sustains 5,000MW Trend For 7 Days by Nobody: 9:43am On Feb 12, 2019
rusher14:

I should take your word over newspaper reportage?
Look at this kid.
Just give up Mr many us are fooled by your party's lies and propaganda.

1 Like

Re: Power Reaches 5,375MW, Sustains 5,000MW Trend For 7 Days by rottennaija(m): 9:46am On Feb 12, 2019
asuustrike1:

Has that translate to improvement nationwide? During so called PDP I do enjoy 18 hrs power supply but now it is 2hrs daily

The population has grown since then. The grid has been expanded throughout include many, which means the power you enjoy will reduce (depending of course on your location), except there is a serious increase in generation capacity. Also, Call your distribution company to fix your transformer.

I'm enjoying more electricity where I am than previously.
Re: Power Reaches 5,375MW, Sustains 5,000MW Trend For 7 Days by rusher14: 9:46am On Feb 12, 2019
asuustrike1:

Just give up Mr many us are fooled by your party's lies and propaganda.

I agree.

May you continue to be confounded as you were whilst making this comment, amen.
Re: Power Reaches 5,375MW, Sustains 5,000MW Trend For 7 Days by Nobody: 9:51am On Feb 12, 2019
Arysexy:

If you mean lightening, yes it does for unearthed power facilities.

Discos complain of not getting back the money for the power they distribute due to bypassing, energy theft etc. Hence they are reluctant to distribute more and earn less. Bear in mind that what ever Generating stations give out must be accounted for by Transmission Company of Nigeria TCN, and whatever TCN gives to Discos must be accounted for. Now whatever Discos give to consumers must be accounted for, but they complain if not getting back the money value of what they distribute, hence they are reluctant to restore supply any time there is outage of any form as TCN meter won't read those times
OK. But I noticed that the area I lived was on 33kva. They pay their bills promptly hence the disco generate more revenue from that end. However I noticed that when there is lighting during the day and part of it at night, it takes about an hour for it to restored back whereas if the lighting occurs around 12a.m or 4a.m, power isn't restored till afternoon or evening. What could be responsible for that?

1 Like

Re: Power Reaches 5,375MW, Sustains 5,000MW Trend For 7 Days by Heavance(m): 9:57am On Feb 12, 2019
Omooba77:
The National Grid has soared to 5,375 megawatts (MW) of power generation, the highest ever attained in Nigeria. The grid has also sustained a 5,000MW peak generation trend for seven days so far in February, 2019.

Data on daily power generation obtained by Daily Trust on Monday show that the highest 5,375MW peak generation was reached last Thursday. The last time Nigeria reached a nearer threshold was in December, 2017, when the peak generation rose to 5,222MW.

For at least seven days in February, 2019, the grid has recorded power generation of over 5,000MW, records from the Independent System Operation (ISO), a section of the Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN), have indicated.

The breakdown shows that the grid had 5,033MW on February 2 and 3. It dropped to 5,014MW last Tuesday and rose to 5,147MW on Wednesday last week. By Thursday, the 5,375MW highest threshold was reached.

The trend dropped on Friday to 5,003MW and further slid to 5,001MW last Saturday, the documents claimed. The lowest generation during the review period was greater at over 3,600MW than it was in January, 2018.

The latest lowest generation as at Saturday was 3,810MW; this was higher than peak generation of 3,785MW attained on January 26, 2019.

Currently, available power generation capacity stands at 7,652MW which can be deployed to the grid with adequate gas fuel for the 24 gas-fired power plants and enough water level for the three hydropower plants.

TCN said the transmission wheeling capacity stood at 8,100MW, away from the 7,000MW capacity recorded in December, 2017.

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/power-reaches-5375mw-sustains-5000mw-trend-for-7-days.html
Hope you remember number 4 clearly?

You can't fool everybody all the time

1 Like

Re: Power Reaches 5,375MW, Sustains 5,000MW Trend For 7 Days by Nobody: 9:58am On Feb 12, 2019
rottennaija:

The population has grown since then. The grid has been expanded throughout include many, which means the power you enjoy will reduce (depending of course on your location), except there is a serious increase in generation capacity. Also, Call your distribution company to fix your transformer.

I'm enjoying more electricity where I am than previously.
Well you are lucky. The transformer in my area is doing fine but there is no supply of electricity at all
Re: Power Reaches 5,375MW, Sustains 5,000MW Trend For 7 Days by Arysexy(m): 10:04am On Feb 12, 2019
asuustrike1:

OK. But I noticed that the area I lived was on 33kva. They pay their bills promptly hence the disco generate more revenue from that end. However I noticed that when there is lighting during the day and part of it at night, it takes about an hour for it to restored back whereas if the lighting occurs around 12a.m or 4a.m, power isn't restored till afternoon or evening. What could be responsible for that?

Those on 33KV feeders don't have light interruption often. The lightening trips the 33KV feeder from TCN end as a result of surge ( large fault current). If such feeder trips, disco must patrol the entire length to ensure there is no phase to earth fault or phase to phase fault like tree resting on the line due to wind storm.

If this happens at night, u dont expect the disco to patrol at night as they may not likely see well, hence the feeder will be out till morning, from morning they patrol clear the fault before TCN will restore the 33KV feeder for them.

If it happens during the day, the fault clearing time will be less as patrol will commence immediately after rain has stopped.

Hence fault occurrence during day time gets faster clearing time than those that occur at night
Re: Power Reaches 5,375MW, Sustains 5,000MW Trend For 7 Days by PrincewithGod(m): 10:06am On Feb 12, 2019
jhydebaba:
Which power

Sorry, no effect felt.

Propaganda power! We have not seen light for three days where am living and its not a local problem.

1 Like

Re: Power Reaches 5,375MW, Sustains 5,000MW Trend For 7 Days by rottennaija(m): 10:11am On Feb 12, 2019
asuustrike1:

Well you are lucky. The transformer in my area is doing fine but there is no supply of electricity at all

I still insist. Your disco is the problem. Sometimes, they purposefully ignore some areas either in because they don't pay or because they owe or because they are no VIP living in the area
Re: Power Reaches 5,375MW, Sustains 5,000MW Trend For 7 Days by HomeOfMe(f): 10:14am On Feb 12, 2019
Omooba77:
The National Grid has soared to 5,375 megawatts (MW) of power generation, the highest ever attained in Nigeria. The grid has also sustained a 5,000MW peak generation trend for seven days so far in February, 2019.

Data on daily power generation obtained by Daily Trust on Monday show that the highest 5,375MW peak generation was reached last Thursday. The last time Nigeria reached a nearer threshold was in December, 2017, when the peak generation rose to 5,222MW.

For at least seven days in February, 2019, the grid has recorded power generation of over 5,000MW, records from the Independent System Operation (ISO), a section of the Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN), have indicated.

The breakdown shows that the grid had 5,033MW on February 2 and 3. It dropped to 5,014MW last Tuesday and rose to 5,147MW on Wednesday last week. By Thursday, the 5,375MW highest threshold was reached.

The trend dropped on Friday to 5,003MW and further slid to 5,001MW last Saturday, the documents claimed. The lowest generation during the review period was greater at over 3,600MW than it was in January, 2018.

The latest lowest generation as at Saturday was 3,810MW; this was higher than peak generation of 3,785MW attained on January 26, 2019.

Currently, available power generation capacity stands at 7,652MW which can be deployed to the grid with adequate gas fuel for the 24 gas-fired power plants and enough water level for the three hydropower plants.

TCN said the transmission wheeling capacity stood at 8,100MW, away from the 7,000MW capacity recorded in December, 2017.

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/power-reaches-5375mw-sustains-5000mw-trend-for-7-days.html
If they had not mentioned Nigeria I would've asked if it's in Cotonou or Ghana,hello? I live in Lagos and I do not live in a rural or slump parts of the state. And for the past 5days as it happens occasionally,we didn't have light both day and night,thank goodness for generator and inverters. What about those who do not have alternatives? You think you're doing me..,you're doing yourself.

1 Like

Re: Power Reaches 5,375MW, Sustains 5,000MW Trend For 7 Days by HomeOfMe(f): 10:23am On Feb 12, 2019
rottennaija:

Because you want it to be a lie or because you can't feel the impact? Some areas do feel it. Besides, for everyone to fill the impact of improved power generation, transmission and distribution, we need about 20000M Watt of electricity.
Why should some areas feel the impact and some do not feel it? That is apartheid. That means some deserve it more. This is really a rottenaija.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Imo Guber Election, Official Results / Ebonyi: PDP, Lawmakers Deny Resignation Claims / Wike Tells Public To Ignore Mischivious Publications About Him, FCT Admin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.