Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,225 members, 7,836,091 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:42 PM

True Love Versus Respect - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / True Love Versus Respect (1519 Views)

Love Versus Infatuation-1 / True Love Versus Infatuation / 'True Love' Versus Campatibility And Understanding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

True Love Versus Respect by Morayo2906: 3:27pm On Aug 23, 2010
I met my boyfriend 5 years ago and it was instant mutual attraction but I did not pursue it. Over the years we have remained in contact via phone, email and sporadically seen each other at events but because we were both in a relationship, we never met just the two of us. However, it was obvious to everyone that knew us that we both liked each other a lot.

Now, five years later, we are both single and have just started spending a lot of time together and getting to know each other properly. Despite my resistance to get involved with someone so young, It already feels comfortable and right. It is clear to both of us that we are both falling for each other deeply but there is a big problem.

There is a 11 year age gap between us. I am 34 and he has just turned 23. I know many will ask me why I am with a 'boy' and ask him what is he doing with 'Old argo' etc.

He is Yoruba and the only son for his mother and they have a very close relationship. I am from a Caribbean background, have no children and have a sucessful career. I do not look my age and in fact have to carry ID around with me to prove I'm older than I look. He is independent and has his own money so I do not believe that there is any financial motive.

The problem is that he seems to be burying his head in the sand when I try to speak to him about how his family might react to our relationship. He won't discuss it. I do not want his family to shun him because of me but I also don't want my heart broken by continuing with a relationship that is doomed. He is a close to a friend of mine that I have known for 15 years and he assures me that he is genuine but this friend also said that he has to show respect.

I'm just not sure whether to take a risk or accept that the relationship is doomed. I wish I could have faith that he would be able to stand up to his family but he is only 23 after all. I cannot expect him to act with the strenght of a 30 year-old when he is only 23.

Morayo
Re: True Love Versus Respect by Omolola1(f): 3:31pm On Aug 23, 2010
wow! guess he is scared of what his parents might think of the relationship.
Re: True Love Versus Respect by Morayo2906: 3:35pm On Aug 23, 2010
Just want to know whether the relationship is already doomed or there might be a chance that we are accepted. What can I do to help his family to accept me.
Re: True Love Versus Respect by iice(f): 3:37pm On Aug 23, 2010
Doomed.
Too wide a gap
Cultural background
Only son.
Re: True Love Versus Respect by Omolola1(f): 3:40pm On Aug 23, 2010
@poster, there is nothing you can do! the gap is just too much, u might be lucky anyway
Re: True Love Versus Respect by omega25red(m): 3:42pm On Aug 23, 2010
sorry to say but the relationship is doomed. His parents probably will not accept it if it came down to marriage. He probably will be worried about what his friends will say too. Also i wonder how he will feel about you when you are in your 40's and he is in his early 30's. Another thing his maturity level might not match his age because what happens is you are in your life long career while he is busy trying to find himself and then you will transform into a nagging mummy like figure who will constantly yell and complain about why he can't start a career. Too many factors to consider

but then again i can't see the future so who knows  undecided
Re: True Love Versus Respect by release190(m): 3:44pm On Aug 23, 2010
Omolola1:

@poster, there is nothing you can do! the gap is just too much, u might be lucky anyway

sweets stop giving her a bad advice,
It cant work, she is too old for him, !!
make we nor dey decieve ourselves here jare, (no offence poster)
there are tons of old men around too~
Re: True Love Versus Respect by Morayo2906: 3:45pm On Aug 23, 2010
His friends know about us already and he is already a sucessful businessman and has bought two houses.
Re: True Love Versus Respect by Omolola1(f): 3:48pm On Aug 23, 2010
190, i know but u never can tell. @morayo, 4get his fwendz, if his parents doesn't agree, u are doomed! but pray well~
Re: True Love Versus Respect by dotun11: 3:58pm On Aug 23, 2010
Tough one. Gap is quite wide. Wish I could tell u to follow your heart.
Re: True Love Versus Respect by release190(m): 4:02pm On Aug 23, 2010
Morayo2906:

His friends know about us already and he is already a sucessful businessman and has bought two houses.  

@23yrs shocked shocked
he has 2 houses,
what kinda work is that,
I smell some illegal stuff hes doin, besides u love him cos he' has 2 houses rite, ~
Poster just face it,u are not mates, he knows this, its better u hear from my mouth than he tells u dis maybe next year!
Re: True Love Versus Respect by Omolola1(f): 4:05pm On Aug 23, 2010
don't be too harsh, they love each oda! (was also wondering, @23, two houses already) hmmn!
Re: True Love Versus Respect by jaybee3(m): 4:08pm On Aug 23, 2010
Age gap is just too big.
Re: True Love Versus Respect by Morayo2906: 4:08pm On Aug 23, 2010
Please no juvenile responses.

I do not love him because he owns property. I own my own property. Love built on material wealth is shallow.

Just for the record we do not have to engage in illegal activity. We are both educated and qualified Chartered Surveyors. ie. we work in the property industry and have been lucky when there was a property boom in London before the recession.
Re: True Love Versus Respect by Morayo2906: 4:09pm On Aug 23, 2010
We met when he was 19 and I was 30.
Re: True Love Versus Respect by Omolola1(f): 4:10pm On Aug 23, 2010
hmmmn! the gap is too wide, he is a small boi to you~
Re: True Love Versus Respect by release190(m): 4:12pm On Aug 23, 2010
jay bee:

Age gap is just too big.

just d same way omolola groomed me~ grin grin

@Morayo2906
Abeg the age gap is Just too much, ABEG, !!
I know what nigerian guyz tink, im sorry ure not 29 and hes 23,
ure 39 and hes 23, u wanna rush him into marriage!
Re: True Love Versus Respect by Omolola1(f): 4:16pm On Aug 23, 2010
swthrt, how did i groom you?
Re: True Love Versus Respect by Morayo2906: 4:18pm On Aug 23, 2010
In reply to the comment about marriage, I don't want to rush into anything that is why I'm asking whether it is doomed or whether it is worth the risk.

I genuinely care about him and do not want to create friction for him and his family.
Re: True Love Versus Respect by tosyne007(m): 4:19pm On Aug 23, 2010
@poster, forget his friends or wateva business he is doing. the fact still remains that u are lot older than he is and he's gonna change his mind very soon when the pressure from his family becomes unbearable. It can be painful but the truth needs to be said. I will advise u let go and look 4 somene who is thesame age bracket.

I want to blv u've got a yoruba background too if ur profile name is anything to go by and whether u like it or not, age means a lot to the yorubas. It's believed the husband should be older than his wife, not the other way round. Moreover,  he is the only SON of his mother. If u really care for him and urself, it's better u start planning on how to end the relationship b4 it gets out of hand.
Re: True Love Versus Respect by release190(m): 4:22pm On Aug 23, 2010
Morayo2906:

In reply to the comment about marriage, I don't want to rush into anything that is why I'm asking whether it is doomed or whether it is worth the risk.

I genuinely care about him and do not want to create friction for him and his family.
listen, we understand that u really love him
but when it comes 2 marriage stuff, other tins follow
this age stuff is just too much 2 and would be a Hugh obstruction sooner or later in life.
That guy is definitely have 2 face more opposition from all angles of life and @ some stage u wud too
Re: True Love Versus Respect by madlady(f): 4:27pm On Aug 23, 2010
tosyne007:

@poster, forget his friends or wateva business he is doing. the fact still remains that u are lot older than he is and he's gonna change his mind very soon when the pressure from his family becomes unbearable. It can be painful but the truth needs to be said. I will advise u let go and look 4 somene who is thesame age bracket.

I want to blv u've got a yoruba background too if your profile name is anything to go by and whether u like it or not, age means a lot to the yorubas. It's believed the husband should be older than his wife, not the other way round. Moreover, he is the only SON of his mother. If u really care for him and urself, it's better u start planning on how to end the relationship b4 it gets out of hand.

Very enlightening reply.
Re: True Love Versus Respect by jaybee3(m): 4:38pm On Aug 23, 2010
tosyne007:

I want to blv u've got a yoruba background too if your profile name is anything to go by and whether u like it or not, age means a lot to the yorubas. It's believed the husband should be older than his wife, not the other way round. Moreover, he is the only SON of his mother. If u really care for him and urself, it's better u start planning on how to end the relationship b4 it gets out of hand.
Believed by who? the yorubas? never heard of such and i'm sure it ain't no taboo.
My sister is 2 years older than her husband and they have been married for 20yrs.
My point is age difference of <4 yrs is somewhat same age group and more acceptable than 11 yrs.

I c u madlady. look at u quickly agreeing grin grin
Re: True Love Versus Respect by omega25red(m): 4:40pm On Aug 23, 2010
like someone said yoruba folks are tough to deal with when it comes to marriage issues (i know cause im one) i have seen case where just because the mother of the bride felt like the grooms fam didn't do one thing she was ready to cancel the whole marriage. Yoruba folks complain about age, wealth, family background etc. yoruba's even will give you problems if you are from say oyo state and you husband is from ogun state. Though they both are yorubas but they will be like never will i agree to have my child be hooked up with someone from the other state that speaks exactly the same language (well maybe not exactly). Luckily some families are more open minded and they don't care about all that stuff because they recognise that their child's happiness is most important. Well i wish you luck with your decision but keep in mind that time will pass and that age issue will surly come up.

best of luck to you
Re: True Love Versus Respect by madlady(f): 4:46pm On Aug 23, 2010
jay bee:

Believed by who? the yorubas? never heard of such and i'm sure it ain't no taboo.
My sister is 2 years older than her husband and they have been married for 20yrs.
My point is age difference of <4 yrs is somewhat same age group and more acceptable than 11 yrs.

wink

That's not true embarassed embarassed, I just thought his reply seemed very thought provoking.
Re: True Love Versus Respect by tosyne007(m): 4:49pm On Aug 23, 2010
jay bee:

if u check my post properly, i never said it is taboo or it does not happen but it's a belief. I am very sure u know the difference between a "norm" and a "belief". Moreover, apart from ur sister, how many examples of such relationships can u cite, even from ur family. The bottomline here is that, i and a larger number of other posters believe this relationship aint gonna work and its better for HER to look elsewhere for her hearthrob.
Re: True Love Versus Respect by jaybee3(m): 4:55pm On Aug 23, 2010
madlady:

wink

That's not true embarassed embarassed, I just thought his reply seemed very thought provoking.
OK. oya come here for a hug

tosyne007:

if u check my post properly, i never said it is taboo or it does not happen but it's a belief. I am very sure u know the difference between a "norm" and a "belief". Moreover, apart from your sister, how many examples of such relationships can u cite, even from your family. The bottomline here is that, i and a larger number of other posters believe this relationship aint gonna work and its better for HER to look elsewhere for her hearthrob.
And i ask whose belief cos u seem to be speaking for the yorubas. I know quite a few actually. Another girl friend of mine just married someone she is 2 yrs older than 2 months ago. The point is it won't work cos of greater age gap rather than her just being older than him. That's the difference

I will happily marry someone that's 2yrs older than moi. It's kool and sexy to grow old together. hahahhahahaha
Re: True Love Versus Respect by madlady(f): 5:00pm On Aug 23, 2010
jay bee:

OK. oya come here for a hug

And i ask whose belief cos u seem to be speaking for the yorubas. I know quite a few actually. Another girl friend of mine just married someone she is 2 yrs older than 2 months ago. The point is it won't work cos of greater age gap rather than her just being older than him. That's the difference

I will happily marry someone that's 2yrs older than moi. It's kool and sexy to grow old together. hahahhahahaha

Don't bite me hun. kiss
Re: True Love Versus Respect by luap: 5:11pm On Aug 23, 2010
Women wake up and smell the roses. The older you become the less desirable you will be. Men like younger women. We think about having children and as you age your productive years decrease. Do not waste your years waiting on a man to make a decision to commit. Most men like to stay single, but with some encouragement, we commit.

Your 34, you still ok to be married. Your selection of men are less, because all the good men are taken by smart women thinking about he future. Most men in your age group are married or divorced with children and married again.

Stop wasting your years, keep your options open and seriously think about finding some other guy. If you wait until your 40 to finally get married, you might find a 70 year old gramps, cause no smart man will select you with all the women available.
Re: True Love Versus Respect by yme1(f): 6:36pm On Aug 23, 2010
if it was the other way round then no probs but a lady older than a guy with 11 years,thats is just too much
he might be cool with it for now but when he starts gettin an unbearable pressure from his parents and frds
dear am damn sure he is gonna let go
Re: True Love Versus Respect by tkb417(m): 6:42pm On Aug 23, 2010
jeeez

you were liking an 18 year old boi when u were 29 shocked shocked shocked shocked

that boi at that time was just about entering the UNI

u need a spiritualist to cleanse u

im gonna report you to his mum- i hope u havent used juju on him already
Re: True Love Versus Respect by Morayo2906: 5:29pm On Aug 24, 2010
kiss Didn't need juju. Neither of us knew how old the other was initially.

Anyway many thanks for your comments and advice. Some more helpful than others. Pray for both of us.

Kind regards

(1) (2) (Reply)

Would You Date A Lady Without A Car? / How To Get Back With Your Ex Boyfriend? / Women In The House Please Help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.