Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,332 members, 7,811,969 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:08 AM

Nigerian Girls Forced Into Prostitution In Cote D’ivoire-pics Inside - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Nigerian Girls Forced Into Prostitution In Cote D’ivoire-pics Inside (12540 Views)

Marriage? Nigerian Guys In Europe Are Shying Away From Nigerian Girls / Shocking photos of Young girls forced into marriage [pictures] / Girl Kills Her 4-day-Old Son For Prostitution In Katsina (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Girls Forced Into Prostitution In Cote D’ivoire-pics Inside by Nobody: 12:21pm On Aug 28, 2010
Nigerian women, including minors, are being trafficked to cote d’Ivoie for forced prostitution, according to international group, Human Right Watch, Empowered Newswire reports.

In a statement issued on Thursday in Washington D.C., the US-based organisation said on one occasion, its investigators met with groups of about 30 Nigerian women trafficked to the West African nation for prostitution.

Criticising the Ivorien government, the human rights group said, “Diplomats and international aid agency officials told Human Rights Watch that Ivorien authorities had rarely conducted in-depth investigations into trafficking for prostitution or successfully prosecuted traffickers.”

The report quioted its senior West Africa researcher, Ms. Corinne Dufka, as saying “These women and girls were sold dreams of migrating to better their lives, but then found themselves in a personal hell.” She added that the Nigerian and Ivoirien governments should find and prosecute the perpetrators, work with regional neighbours to shut down their operations and do more to protect victims of forced prostitution.

According to HRW, on one occasion last month, eight of the Nigerian women, who were described as victims, were interviewed by the human rights groups individually. The statement noted that “scores of similar cases involving Nigerian women and girls were documented by interviews with Ivorian officials, United Nations personnel, and Nigerian embassy staff. Many victims were either between the ages of 15 and 17 or had been minors when brought to Cote d’Ivoire.”

The report said that in two small towns in central Cote d’Ivoire, with populations of about 40,000 and 50,000, respectively, its officials documented the presence of five separate brothels of Nigerian women and girls. A gendarme in one of the towns estimated that at least 100 Nigerian women were working there as love-peddlers.

HRW investigations indicated that the majority of them were likely to have been trafficked. According to the organisation, “All of the women and girls interviewed by Human Rights Watch described being deceived into migrating with promises of work as apprentice hairdressers or tailors, or to work in other businesses elsewhere in West Africa or in Europe.”

The statement added that Nigerian women recruited and transported the victims overland through Benin, Togo, Ghana, and Burkina Faso, adding, “Majority of victims told both Human Rights Watch and the Nigerian embassy that they came from Delta and Edo States in southern Nigeria.”

It added, “Nigerian embassy staff in Abidjan told Human Rights Watch that they had repatriated scores of women trafficked for prostitution, including dozens this year alone.”

The statement said that Ivoirien, United Nations and Nigerian officials narrated to the organisation’s officials how in July 2010, three 17-year-old Nigerians, who refused to engage in sex work after being trafficked, were locked in a room and denied food for three days.

But the girls finally escaped, went to the local police, and were repatriated by the Nigerian embassy. All the victims HRW officials interviewed said they wanted to leave Cote d’Ivoire and the sex trade. But they felt they had no escape because of the perceived consequences of failing to pay the debt.

It accused cote d’Ivoire of impeding the investigation due to what it called “an ineffective legal framework and a lack of will, or interest in the cases.” It said that Cote d’Ivoire had not signed the UN Trafficking Protocol and also lacked domestic legislation specifically criminalising trafficking.

HRW called on the Ivoirien government to sign and ratify the UN Trafficking Protocol without delay and pass a draft domestic anti-trafficking law, currently under consideration, in harmony with international standards.
Re: Nigerian Girls Forced Into Prostitution In Cote D’ivoire-pics Inside by Nobody: 12:21pm On Aug 28, 2010
Re: Nigerian Girls Forced Into Prostitution In Cote D’ivoire-pics Inside by JesusloveU: 9:49am On Aug 29, 2010
Chei shocked
Re: Nigerian Girls Forced Into Prostitution In Cote D’ivoire-pics Inside by Nobody: 10:21am On Aug 29, 2010
How sad. sad
Re: Nigerian Girls Forced Into Prostitution In Cote D’ivoire-pics Inside by Horus(m): 4:01pm On Aug 29, 2010
Embassy of The Republic of Cote D’lvoire,
3, Abudu Smith Street, Victoria Island,
Phone: 1-310936, 1-610936
P.O.Box 7786, Lagos.
Tel-(01) 2610936
Re: Nigerian Girls Forced Into Prostitution In Cote D’ivoire-pics Inside by Travelista(f): 7:01pm On Aug 29, 2010
Sad but they can't all be victims; some are hookers because they choose the lifestyle. To be honest, if some of these women exercised caution, they wouldn't be running to another country to work a job site unseen.
Re: Nigerian Girls Forced Into Prostitution In Cote D’ivoire-pics Inside by Pennywise(m): 7:03pm On Aug 29, 2010
Waow. Decent exposure.
Re: Nigerian Girls Forced Into Prostitution In Cote D’ivoire-pics Inside by mutter(f): 7:07pm On Aug 29, 2010
It will indeed be harder for many nigerians to be forgiven for what they did to the country than for a camel to pass the eye of a needle.
These girls bodies are being sold but some people out there are selling their souls.
A country where no one is guaranteed their fundamental human rights and needs.
Nothing surprises me any more.
I shed at seeing a sister being reduced to this state of decadence and hoplessness.

Travelista when a human becomes desperate he throws caution to the wind.
A woman that prostitutes to survive is a victim. She deserves help and respect for what she has to endure.
Re: Nigerian Girls Forced Into Prostitution In Cote D’ivoire-pics Inside by Travelista(f): 7:19pm On Aug 29, 2010
mutter:

It will indeed be harder for many nigerians to be forgiven for what they did to the country than for a camel to pass the eye of a needle.
These girls bodies are being sold but some people out there are selling their souls.
A country where no one is guaranteed their fundamental human rights and needs.
Nothing surprises me any more.
I shed at seeing a sister being reduced to this state of decadence and hoplessness.

Travelista when a human becomes desperate he throws caution to the wind.
A woman that love-peddlers to survive is a victim. She deserves help and respect for what she has to endure.

Spare me. There are some women and men that turn tricks because they want to; not everyone is a 'victim'. I'm sure they aren't screaming 'Victim!' when they are paid for their services. Quite frankly, some people are just plain harlots; might as well get paid while you're at it.
Re: Nigerian Girls Forced Into Prostitution In Cote D’ivoire-pics Inside by mutter(f): 7:29pm On Aug 29, 2010
Travelister you lack love and compassion for your fellow man.
Women that are corporate prostitutes. Those are the real prostitutes. Those that have and want more.
I am talking of the poor girls caught up in the viscous circle of poverty and despair.
These girls are only victims of a callous society.
I wish we had more love for our fellow men that would go a long way.
Re: Nigerian Girls Forced Into Prostitution In Cote D’ivoire-pics Inside by Travelista(f): 7:38pm On Aug 29, 2010
mutter:

Travelister you lack love and compassion for your fellow man.
Women that are corporate love-peddlers. Those are the real love-peddlers. Those that have and want more.
I am talking of the poor girls caught up in the viscous circle of poverty and despair.
These girls are only victims of a callous society.
I wish we had more love for our fellow men that would go a long way.

You need to explain the bold; I really hope you aren't headed in the direction that I think you are.

I have compassion for my fellow man, so get off your soap box. You make me really nervous. I swear, you flip-flop like a fish out of water. One minute you're wanting to practically burn hookers at the stake and the next you're their Mother Theresa. Really, what's good, Mutter? Not everyone is a victim; some just see hooking as easy money because they are too lazy to earn money any other way. Are some of these girls victims, yes. Are all of them? Not even close.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girls Forced Into Prostitution In Cote D’ivoire-pics Inside by mutter(f): 9:09pm On Aug 29, 2010
Do you think prostitution is an easy job
Not for those girls out there on the streets hawking their bodies.
Maybe for those so called ladies that are being sponsored by so called boyfriends.
Those women on the street do not make up 5% of the prostitutes in Nigeria.
however trades her body for material needs is a prostitute and as you are well aware most women have their price.
I have seen women that are ready to spend more than the earn in a month just on clothing themselves like Christmas trees.
Such women are responsible for many young men going astray, because these men compromise their integrity and honesty to join the mad race so that they can "carry" such women.
The result is decadence and in morality in all nooks and corners.
Why is it so difficult for a decent man to take a woman on a mere date without having to spend money on her?
Re: Nigerian Girls Forced Into Prostitution In Cote D’ivoire-pics Inside by chika98: 11:32pm On Aug 29, 2010
^^^ What is your point?
Re: Nigerian Girls Forced Into Prostitution In Cote D’ivoire-pics Inside by mutter(f): 11:46pm On Aug 29, 2010
MY point is that these innocent girls that hawk themselves on the streets are often victim of circumstances that have no choice.
The real prostitutes are on our campuses, in our offices and so on.
You need to listen to some of the stories of these girls.
What structures exist in nigeria to give unskilled labour meaningful employment.
They try hawking items and get abused sexually, cannot make enough to feed.
They try as nannys and get abused physically as well as sexually and are even sad.
These girls often have no way out.
We need to put up infrastructures and meaningful employment with realistic wages in Nigeria to prevent this prostitution that is a direct result of poverty and abuse.

Now what is your point.
Re: Nigerian Girls Forced Into Prostitution In Cote D’ivoire-pics Inside by 4llerbuntu(m): 11:42am On Aug 30, 2010
mutter:

MY point is that these innocent girls that hawk themselves on the streets are often victim of circumstances that have no choice.
The real love-peddlers are on our campuses, in our offices and so on.
What structures exist in nigeria to give unskilled labour meaningful employment.
They try as nannys and get abused physically as well as sexually and are even sad.
We need to put up infrastructures and meaningful employment with realistic wages in Nigeria to prevent this prostitution that is a direct result of poverty and abuse.

Now what is your point.

baa mother theresa, dont turn logic on its head!!!!
there is no such thing as not having a choice. . . . . does someone put a gun to their heads to open up their legs?

simply put, its a result of mostly physical and mental laziness., this idea that the only thing that can be done is prostitution. yeah we all know the society isnt exactly a rocking place, but definitely not to that extent.
last time i walked the streets, i saw people sweeping the roads, i saw pple cleaning gutters, i see people doing dirty demeaning but HONEST, GOOD TO GOD JOBS TO EARN A LIVING!!!!!!

its not ideal, but then its way better than the lazy alternatives. its like meeting a guy who says because things are so hard the ONLY thing he can do is become an armed robber. now when staring down the barrel of a gun brandished by an armed robber i hope you will also see the point of that robber too as to how he is a victim of society!!!!

the only reason why people get away with all these is because they are "victim-less crimes" sort of.

when i was in school i met countless girls who turned tricks and would give you the standard excuse that their parents could'nt meet the bills, funny thing is i also knew several who actually slaved to get through too, instead of turning tricks, even myself had to slave to get through school (would have been so easy to join a cult and get thru like that!!!!!!!!!) their problem was they wanted the 10,000 naira hair, the big phones, money for bleaching creams and jewellries that even their mother did'nt use at her wedding.

to their minds, hooking was a cheap and easy way to get money, and fun along with it. as one put it to me once, "i give it to my BF for free, why not just get paid for it"

so many boys are turning to this too these days, recently i even heard the most lucrative was to be a gay prostitute!!!!!!! (all of a sudden they just turn gay)

leave all these your balderdash and tripe, bad as e bad, THE ONLY JOB AVAILABLE IS PROSTITUTION PUHLEASE!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girls Forced Into Prostitution In Cote D’ivoire-pics Inside by Outstrip(f): 3:44pm On Aug 30, 2010
17 year olds are minors in Nigeria. Did their parents report them missing? If not then are they in jail. Parents need to start being held responsible for crap like this in Nigeria
Re: Nigerian Girls Forced Into Prostitution In Cote D’ivoire-pics Inside by eridah2007(m): 3:56pm On Aug 30, 2010
undecided
Re: Nigerian Girls Forced Into Prostitution In Cote D’ivoire-pics Inside by sylve11: 4:00pm On Aug 30, 2010
Travelista:

Sad but they can't all be victims; some are hookers because they choose the lifestyle. To be honest, if some of these women exercised caution, they wouldn't be running to another country to work a job site unseen.

u wise my dear! kiss cool
Re: Nigerian Girls Forced Into Prostitution In Cote D’ivoire-pics Inside by Nobody: 8:36pm On Aug 30, 2010
Ho problems cool
Re: Nigerian Girls Forced Into Prostitution In Cote D’ivoire-pics Inside by mutter(f): 9:12pm On Aug 30, 2010
4allerbintu
Well thank God that humanitarian organisations have a different view from yours.
Re: Nigerian Girls Forced Into Prostitution In Cote D’ivoire-pics Inside by Sissy3(f): 5:06am On Aug 31, 2010
4llerbuntu:

baa mother theresa, dont turn logic on its head!!!!
there is no such thing as not having a choice. . . . .

yes there is something as not having a choice and not consenting to sex when it comes to prostitution and many girls and women in the prostitution business are victims and have no choice.
Re: Nigerian Girls Forced Into Prostitution In Cote D’ivoire-pics Inside by pac2: 6:21am On Aug 31, 2010
@mutter: don't join issues with these hypocrite (Travelista and 4llerbuntu)
Re: Nigerian Girls Forced Into Prostitution In Cote D’ivoire-pics Inside by nopuqeater: 11:27am On Aug 31, 2010
@4llerbintu and the travelista in Chicago: There is no single person who is born, wanting to do evil, eg Prostitution, if there are other choices and the society that they are personally living in and experiencing do make it seem okay, acceptable and no personal shame in it.

One of you is a woman; the traveler in Chicago is, between death and prostitution, even a morally upright person may consider prostitution.

What has been reported is that each of the women did not say that they consciously chose prostitution. It becomes a necessity for them.

For me, I pray that God Almighty extracates them from this, and gives each of them something better. Amin.

I have females in my family. I am a very jealous man. I would be heartbroken if any of my blood is in this condition. This is similar to the cases of Chinese brought in to USA and forced to work in "slavery" conditions. And there are evil people out there who will lie to anybody, especially woman in need.

Travelesta, I cope those horrible things that Chicago are known for hasnt clogged your Nigerianness. You seem to be loosing it. I dont think 4llerbintu for a man knows reality. Bintu is a woman's title man. it is a daughter unless you are gender bender, then it fits you. thats worse than straight out prostitution. And not all victims yell out, chicago woman.
Re: Nigerian Girls Forced Into Prostitution In Cote D’ivoire-pics Inside by martinosi: 12:39pm On Aug 31, 2010
i am in lagos right now untill the end of september 2010 and
Corporate Love peddling or whatever they call is alive and kicking here!!!

It seems like every single lady who is above average in looks is
a target for sexual harrassment.

I have been to various offices in V.I and Ikeja
to see friends and family and you can smell 'nookie 4 favours' in the air lol!!

And all these so called Industrial Attachment girls from UNI's what a joke!!!
Re: Nigerian Girls Forced Into Prostitution In Cote D’ivoire-pics Inside by babystuff(f): 9:21pm On Aug 31, 2010
mutter:

The real love-peddlers are on our campuses, in our offices and so on.

Now what is your point.

My brother you are right, When i was seeking for job in most places i visit they are ll asking for the same thing which is sex, if you wnt to make it big as a working class babe in Naija then you must open your legs for the boys that matter in the office . Full stop
Re: Nigerian Girls Forced Into Prostitution In Cote D’ivoire-pics Inside by Travelista(f): 1:07am On Sep 01, 2010
nopuqeater:

@4llerbintu and the travelista in Chicago: There is no single person who is born, wanting to do evil, eg Prostitution, if there are other choices and the society that they are personally living in and experiencing do make it seem okay, acceptable and no personal shame in it.

One of you is a woman; the traveler in Chicago is, between death and prostitution, even a morally upright person may consider prostitution.

What has been reported is that each of the women did not say that they consciously chose prostitution. It becomes a necessity for them.

For me, I pray that God Almighty extracates them from this, and gives each of them something better. Amin.

I have females in my family. I am a very jealous man. I would be heartbroken if any of my blood is in this condition. This is similar to the cases of Chinese brought in to USA and forced to work in "slavery" conditions. And there are evil people out there who will lie to anybody, especially woman in need.

Travelesta, I cope those horrible things that Chicago are known for hasnt clogged your Nigerianness. You seem to be loosing it. I dont think 4llerbintu for a man knows reality. Bintu is a woman's title man. it is a daughter unless you are gender bender, then it fits you. thats worse than straight out prostitution. And not all victims yell out, chicago woman.

What does Chicago have to do with any of this? I'm not hard of heart but I like to call a spade a spade. Not everyone that turns tricks does so because they have no other avenue. Do you know how many girls turn to sleeping with men/women for material gain and do so because they like the fast cash? Go visit your local university; you don't need to be in need of money to become a hooker. There are girls/boys selling their bodies when they don't need to; they have parents that easily and happily foot their bills. They sleep around and get paid for the thrill and because it's easy. As I said before, some hookers ARE victims but not all of them. You'd be surprised at how depraved mankind can be; imagine, I know girls from law school that were high-priced escorts. Do you think these women can be considered 'victims'?
Re: Nigerian Girls Forced Into Prostitution In Cote D’ivoire-pics Inside by nopuqeater: 5:05am On Sep 01, 2010
^^^^ Chicago has a lot to do wit it. Your heart is very hard.

You are using the barometer of America for African issues.

We have culture. We have shame.

How many of our women in America are sleeping around, unless for necessity?

The Africa culture in Africa, demands people to where their humanity and have shame.

While the greed for the green in this United States will make people lose their humanity, it is rarely the same in Africa, until you copycated the people who are shameless. please go exchange your heart for what is more humane, instead of the basic quality you have displayed so far.
Re: Nigerian Girls Forced Into Prostitution In Cote D’ivoire-pics Inside by chelseabmw(m): 12:27pm On Sep 01, 2010
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Nigerian Girls Forced Into Prostitution In Cote D’ivoire-pics Inside by sunnyprof: 2:48pm On Sep 01, 2010
Nigerians!! We like to deceive ourselves!

Don't pity any harlot. they are in there for the money. What are we looking for that would take such girls to Ivory coast.

You know you don't have skill and you want to earn something, how? Why not just go to learn first.

The mentality of just everybody wanting to look important, fabulously dressed, every girl making great hair do's, and a cleaner dressing so well as the Accountant in the same office, or a mere orange seller who thinks she must also afford 'Mary Kay' - i.e. living above your income or without a tool/skill for income at all is the very moral issue we need to adress.

Parents should please just accept there children who are not making 'millions' and encourage them to live at their lown evel, this would be a great virtue once again in this country (this was lost three decades ago)

Society that respects every individual no matter who they are, just as a person would help us a lot
Re: Nigerian Girls Forced Into Prostitution In Cote D’ivoire-pics Inside by tunde121oke: 9:12pm On Sep 01, 2010
how can we provide good jobs for nigerians
Re: Nigerian Girls Forced Into Prostitution In Cote D’ivoire-pics Inside by mrkoma2012: 10:30pm On Sep 01, 2010
Nothin new same old gullible folks lured into, eternal prostitution
Re: Nigerian Girls Forced Into Prostitution In Cote D’ivoire-pics Inside by Travelista(f): 1:15am On Sep 02, 2010
nopuqeater:

^^^^ Chicago has a lot to do wit it. Your heart is very hard.

You are using the barometer of America for African issues.

We have culture. We have shame.

How many of our women in America are sleeping around, unless for necessity?

The Africa culture in Africa, demands people to where their humanity and have shame.

While the greed for the green in this United States will make people lose their humanity, it is rarely the same in Africa, until you copycated the people who are shameless. please go exchange your heart for what is more humane, instead of the basic quality you have displayed so far.

You're typing jazz and you know it. You're talking about African 'humanity' and 'shame'? The same 'humanity' and 'shame' that enlists child soldiers, embarks on unrepentant genocides and loots federal coffers? Just think about what you're saying. If you really think African women aren't sleeping around except for necessity, then you are terribly naive. The sex trade isn't an 'African issue'; it's a global one and there are millions of men and women that are legitimate victims of unscrupulous people. On the other hand, there are people that have lower moral standards that see turning tricks as any other job and are happy to ply their trade.

Where I am right now, I can name two women that are well-known restaurateurs that were sleeping with the same man; that same man was respected in his own right and lavished gifts on them (and other thirsty birds). The story only broke because the man recently died of HIV; now, tell me: what forced these married women to spread their legs for an outsider? Was it because their light was about to be disconnected? Or they needed money for medical treatment? No, they were loose and wanted the baubles they could have easily purchased themselves. Hookers come in many forms but that doesn't mean they are all victims. Visit a Nigerian university; I'm sure you'll find girls and boys that sleep around because they like the fast cash.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Married And Engaged Couples: How Did He Propose? / Married Men With Pregnant Wives,how Do You Cope? / Mother In Law Has Destroyed My Marriage Due To Husband's Mamas Boy Nature

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.