Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,684 members, 7,955,545 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 08:59 AM

Divorce Your Wife, Lose Your House To Her - Oyo Court Rules - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Divorce Your Wife, Lose Your House To Her - Oyo Court Rules (31734 Views)

What Made You Divorce Your Partner? / No More Pack Your Load And Go,divorce Your Wife And Forfeit Your House To Her / DIVORCE YOUR WIFE , LOSE YOUR HOUSE TO HER , OYO COURT RULES (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Divorce Your Wife, Lose Your House To Her - Oyo Court Rules by Nobody: 8:42pm On Mar 02, 2019
EMCHIZ:
What if you build the house before getting married?

Then the house is solely yours.
Re: Divorce Your Wife, Lose Your House To Her - Oyo Court Rules by mechanics(m): 8:52pm On Mar 02, 2019
Men in Oyo state will think twice on divorce.

1 Like

Re: Divorce Your Wife, Lose Your House To Her - Oyo Court Rules by pansophist(m): 9:08pm On Mar 02, 2019
bukatyne:

What makes the law unfair to men?

The law is unfair to men because forfeiting his assets in the event of divorce is a punitive measure, especially when it is not reciprocated if the woman is the property owner. I am not conversant with the scope and directive of the Nigerian customary law, albeit, the court's decision implies that women are the sole guardian of the children, automatically rewarded custody of the kids, and the man's usefulness is to provide resources only.

Furthermore, the decision didn't come with an exceptional clause that could make the man retain his property if he initiated the divorce. For example, unfaithfulness, domestic violence, and child abuse are acceptable reasons for divorce. A man divorcing his wife on these grounds should not suffer punitive measures of losing his property.

5 Likes

Re: Divorce Your Wife, Lose Your House To Her - Oyo Court Rules by GraGra247(m): 9:24pm On Mar 02, 2019
bukatyne:

You obviously do not understand marriage.

Ok, then teach me. Cos the level of senseless selfishness of some of you women defies logic.

All you women and feminists advocate for is for the women to get everything the man worked for his entire life with his sweat and blood.

Until then nobody understands anything before the eyes of people like you.

I don't blame any of you women. I blame the idioitic morons that change the laws to make men slaves to you people.

But trust me it won't last because men will wake to the reality one day.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Divorce Your Wife, Lose Your House To Her - Oyo Court Rules by tunjilana: 9:38pm On Mar 02, 2019
Daeylar:
The fact that nairaland men are so against these laws which are basically child support laws made to take care of the kids not the wife just shows that they are terrible human beings
Being angry because the judge has to force them to take care of their kids and pass rulings to make sure that they cannot maltreat their children because of any useless feelings they have about their ex-wife is just pathetic and shows they are not worthy of procreating with
....If it was about child support...the judge could have ordered the man to pay a defined amount towards upkeep, fees, accomodation and all for yhe children...while he retains his assets...

1 Like

Re: Divorce Your Wife, Lose Your House To Her - Oyo Court Rules by apelike1: 9:38pm On Mar 02, 2019
GraGra247:

Ok, then teach me. Cos the level of senseless selfishness of some of you women defies logic.

All you women and feminists advocate for is for the women to get everything the man worked for his entire life with his sweat and blood.

Until then nobody understands anything before the eyes of people like you.

I don't blame any of you women. I blame the idioitic morons that change the laws to make men slaves to you people.

But trust me it won't last because men will wake to the reality one day.
my brother!

Leave those apes. That's why them say women have fish brain.

This kind of law is seriously affecting the west and so the decline of marriage and childbirth!
Re: Divorce Your Wife, Lose Your House To Her - Oyo Court Rules by Daeylar(f): 9:56pm On Mar 02, 2019
tunjilana:
....If it was about child support...the judge could have ordered the man to pay a defined amount towards upkeep, fees, accomodation and all for yhe children...while he retains his assets...
What do you call child support? Did you read the post?
this habit of quoting someone just to disturb their mentioƱs needs to stop
Re: Divorce Your Wife, Lose Your House To Her - Oyo Court Rules by VULCAN(m): 10:10pm On Mar 02, 2019
Some people feel that progress is blindly copying others.

A mature mind would question what is the final outcome of the actions of another before sheepishly following.

There are much better ways of securing a soon to be ex-wife's financial state than gifting her property without recognising that each case should be handled on its own merit.

vioment:
Oyo state is quickly dusting every state in Nigeria in becoming the most progressive state in Nigeria even ahead of Lagos;

I am not a fan of half and half, but if you blow when you dey with your wife or vice versa, when things sour, e good to share am. Fair play.

Oyo is single handedly putting nigeria on the level with progressive countries like ghana, kenya, etc. When Oyo state integrate and master forensics, oyo go just be clear cut america of nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Divorce Your Wife, Lose Your House To Her - Oyo Court Rules by dominique(f): 10:22pm On Mar 02, 2019
crafteck:

How many wife's hell out financially, how much have you helped your husband or bf with b4?

Lots of women out there myself inclusive. Because we don't broadcast it it whoever cares to listen, you think men are solely responsible for their wives upkeep. There's hardly a home where the wife doesn't bring something to the table.

When my dad was building his house, it was my mum that took charge of the home expenses including our school fees (apart from contributing a third of what was used to buy the land). Likewise myself and my sisters. When my husband was offsetting the loan he used in completing his house, I didn't mind bearing the family expenses. My sisters contributed immensely towards their husbands' building projects. I can bet there are thousands of women out there doing this but are not making noise about it. Perhaps the ones around you don't help out their husband financially, that's why it's strange to you.

4 Likes

Re: Divorce Your Wife, Lose Your House To Her - Oyo Court Rules by vioment: 11:32pm On Mar 02, 2019
VULCAN:
Some people feel that progress is blindly copying others.

A mature mind would question what is the final outcome of the actions of another before sheepishly following.

There are much better ways of securing a soon to be ex-wife's financial state than gifting her property without recognising that each case should be handled on its own merit.

All am saying is create something for the rightful ones(male or female) especially female. I no want western style but the foundation of something like it is good.
Re: Divorce Your Wife, Lose Your House To Her - Oyo Court Rules by Daboomb: 12:33am On Mar 03, 2019
orion7:
what of people with 3 wives

What of Atiku with four wives?
if he divorces one, she would take half of all his properties! shocked shocked
The other three are like: Wait o, we cannot be left with nothing since Atiku himself is entitled to the remaining half ...because our own divorce is going to follow suit.

I even hear that his four wives refused to vote for him because they overheard that the Nigga was going to marry a 5th wife to commemorate his election!

1 Like

Re: Divorce Your Wife, Lose Your House To Her - Oyo Court Rules by Daboomb: 12:34am On Mar 03, 2019
Xisnin:

That won't be a problem.
You can always sign a prenup to dictate possible divorce sharing formula before marriage.
But I guess many people MEN are too blinded by "love" STUPID to take that route.

Fixed!
Re: Divorce Your Wife, Lose Your House To Her - Oyo Court Rules by Daboomb: 12:43am On Mar 03, 2019
dominique:

Lots of women out there myself inclusive. Because we don't broadcast it it whoever cares to listen, you think men are solely responsible for their wives upkeep. There's hardly a home where the wife doesn't bring something to the table.

When my dad was building his house, it was my mum that took charge of the home expenses including our school fees (apart from contributing a third of what was used to buy the land). Likewise myself and my sisters. When my husband was offsetting the loan he used in completing his house, I didn't mind bearing the family expenses. My sisters contributed immensely towards their husbands' building projects. I can bet there are thousands of women out there doing this but are not making noise about it. Perhaps the ones around you don't help out their husband financially, that's why it's strange to you.

Haaha, I see! Noise kwa?
Your family has a history of "low quality" men
who cannot stand on their two feet (even if you use their third leg to prop them up) and always depend on their wife for survival.
I suggest you train your male children to be 'real men' instead of becoming some asswipe dad and husband like you had.

I have dashed my wife a new Jeep in the past, as a birthday gift just from the blues. the only thing she saw was the keyfob presented to her. Please go and divorce that your useless husband who cannot build a house except by community effort, and collect your contribution sharp sharp before he married another one that would divide the whole thing into four quarters
grin grin grin
Re: Divorce Your Wife, Lose Your House To Her - Oyo Court Rules by Daboomb: 12:47am On Mar 03, 2019
tunjilana:

I bet you, she did not even read the judgement, not to mention having a clear understanding of what it was about.
The moment some of them saw "share property by half, they just went ecstatic! grin grin undecided

1 Like

Re: Divorce Your Wife, Lose Your House To Her - Oyo Court Rules by Daboomb: 12:53am On Mar 03, 2019
pansophist:

The law is unfair to men because forfeiting his assets in the event of divorce is a punitive measure, especially when it is not reciprocated if the woman is the property owner. I am not conversant with the scope and directive of the Nigerian customary law, albeit, the court's decision implies that women are the sole guardian of the children, automatically rewarded custody of the kids, and the man's usefulness is to provide resources only.

Furthermore, the decision didn't come with an exceptional clause that could make the man retain his property if he initiated the divorce. For example, unfaithfulness, domestic violence, and child abuse are acceptable reasons for divorce. A man divorcing his wife on these grounds should not suffer punitive measures of losing his property.

Now, this is someone with a huge dose of brain cells.

If women are allowed to get a divorce that grants then financial security say due to domestic violence, why cant a man be accorded the same benefit?
Why should a man continue to harbor a wife that sleeps with his neighbor just because he is afraid of losing his house to her?
Are these not some of the reasons that make terminating the other party, a more viable option?
This sort of Kangaroo Judiciary has been described as one of the problems of humanity when in actual fact, they should have been the solution!

Marriage is not a bondage for a wife or a husband, divorce should offer no incentive or punishment to either party.
Whatever you bring-in, is what you take out.

4 Likes

Re: Divorce Your Wife, Lose Your House To Her - Oyo Court Rules by Daboomb: 1:00am On Mar 03, 2019
slimfit1:
So because a woman didn't wake up to go to work doesn't mean she is not doing or contributing. The judge made the right judgement. So if she too goes to work who is going to look after the children.

Women too do homework
, the time you use to watch movies on Youtube use it to do research lazy women.

My mother went to open a shop where she sells things. My mother actually made me what I am today. She used her brain an didn't wait for my father for anything. She is a strong woman.

There are Creches, Nannies and house helps whose job is to look after children where both parents are working.
Both Husband and wife simply contribute equally to the payment for such services.

Women should; stop using the children as an EXCUSE to be lazy or a WEAPON of revenge.

Everybody does Home Work, you hear.
Any work you do at home, is called homework.
When your Dad fixes a broken Water Heater or Kettle or the Washing machine, etc, does your Mum handover money to him, for such work done (or dont you know how much a "job man" will collect for such job)...or is it not just to smile at him and say welldone?
Does start stop him from going to his place of work the next day?

Kudos to your Mum for being a strong woman and as for that your WEAK Dad, thunder fire the lazy bastard.
undecided grin
Re: Divorce Your Wife, Lose Your House To Her - Oyo Court Rules by Daboomb: 1:05am On Mar 03, 2019
ICEMAN:
Every country that has practiced this have all experienced the same thing. From US,UK,Australia and more. Men stop marrying and more women become single. It also influences men to look to other neighboring countries where these laws do not apply. Nigerian women are not prepared for the backlash from these kind of laws. It is not advisable for Nigeria.

Very true!

Most European men that l know, now marry women from Eastern Europe (Latvia, Russia, Slovaks, e.t.c) while avoiding anything to do with the women from their own country.
Thing is, the world is a 'balanced system' of connected issues.
An upsurge in one area will lead to downgrade in a corresponding area.
Cunning-man die, Cunning-man bury am, as we say.
Re: Divorce Your Wife, Lose Your House To Her - Oyo Court Rules by Daboomb: 1:11am On Mar 03, 2019
correctguy0900:
Long overdue.

This is it in a modern society today. Where u expect the woman to pack her children to?

Dunce, children of a marriage are owned by both parties, husband and wife.
It is women who, knowing that they cant fend for the children, still fight to keep them, hoping to use them as an ATM that spins money from the man while they now live an indulged life thereafter.

The law should be: Who out of you two is ready to financially take care of the children without help from the other spouse? Hands-up.

Most women would hands down!

Give the children to that person who has the financial capacity to take care of them but if both calim they can do so, share the children between them and let each person find their way.

End of story. I swear, divorce rate will fall like naira.
Re: Divorce Your Wife, Lose Your House To Her - Oyo Court Rules by Dollabiz: 1:12am On Mar 03, 2019
the court better stop that.before pushing.men.to.assasinate.rather than.divorce
Re: Divorce Your Wife, Lose Your House To Her - Oyo Court Rules by Nobody: 2:20am On Mar 03, 2019
[quote author=Daboomb post=76297669]

Dunce, children of a marriage are owned by both parties, husband and wife.
It is women who, knowing that they cant fend for the children, still fight to keep them, hoping to use them as an ATM that spins money from the man while they now live an indulged life thereafter.

The law should be: Who out of you two is ready to financially take care of the children without help from the other spouse? Hands-up.

Most women would hands down!

Give the children to that person who has the financial capacity to take care of them but if both calim they can do so, share the children between them and let each person find their way.

End of story. I swear, divorce rate will fall like

Who u calling dunce?

Please check the name, never u come near my comment again.

Thanks
Re: Divorce Your Wife, Lose Your House To Her - Oyo Court Rules by PresidoAtikuGcf: 2:44am On Mar 03, 2019
God please make Biafra a reality in Jesus name Amen. Cos with the way Buhari almajiri and Tinubu almajiri are going there is no remedy for the country. A country where illiterates and dirty skull miners rule over the intelligent and innovative all because of their uncontrolled population is sickening and I don't know what to do.
Re: Divorce Your Wife, Lose Your House To Her - Oyo Court Rules by crafteck(m): 6:17am On Mar 03, 2019
dominique:

You will be surprised how few the women that do it are, they ain't as many as you think and as for the noise.... Most make it clear. Too many women bare the notion that working and paying bills is a man's responsibility, haven't u heard, 'my money is my money and my husbands money is our money'.
Re: Divorce Your Wife, Lose Your House To Her - Oyo Court Rules by crafteck(m): 6:29am On Mar 03, 2019
PresidoAtikuGcf:
God please make Biafra a reality in Jesus name Amen. Cos with the way Buhari almajiri and Tinubu almajiri are going there is no remedy for the country. A country where illiterates and dirty skull miners rule over the intelligent and innovative all because of their uncontrolled population is sickening and I don't know what to do.

See ignoramus, picture biafra being a reality, then you will start hearing fresh facts like anambra igbo is superior to imolites, one set of people are outcast while another must rule, in life, nothing was, can or will ever be equal, go and read animal farm, get a better understanding of the society especially in Africa. I chose to see northerners as part of us rather than segregate and judge them as the unintelligent which they aren't, lets point out a few factors why they rule...
Which other tribe is brave enough to have its majority keep giving birth without a plan for the kids aside giving them a bowl at the age of 4?

Which other tribe has lots of families with over 20-30 children each and try to push 80 percent of them into military knowing that when push comes to shove, all power belongs to the military.

Which other tribe (aside east of course) will allow the tribal brainwashing, (the my brother syndrome) push their decisions all the time.

They deserve to rule Abeg.
Re: Divorce Your Wife, Lose Your House To Her - Oyo Court Rules by DanDeeBoss(m): 6:59am On Mar 03, 2019
bukatyne:

That can only happen before marriage which means the man still remains the sole owner of the home.
Alright... Thanks smiley
Re: Divorce Your Wife, Lose Your House To Her - Oyo Court Rules by dominique(f): 7:20am On Mar 03, 2019
Daboomb:

Haaha, I see! Noise kwa?
who cannot stand on their two feet (even if you use their third leg to prop them up) and always depend on their wife for survival.
I suggest you train your male children to be 'real men' instead of becoming some asswipe dad and husband like you had.

I have dashed my wife a new Jeep in the past, as a birthday gift just from the blues. the only thing she saw was the keyfob presented to her. Please go and divorce that your useless husband who cannot build a house except by community effort, and collect your contribution sharp sharp before he married another one that would divide the whole thing into four quarters
grin grin grin

I am raising my son to be an upright citizen and earn his money the legit way and not be ashamed to take soft loans to fund his project. No shame in getting assistance from his wife as well if she's willing. Is that not better than going into drugs or fraud so as not to come off as "weak or broke"?

Marriage is about partnership and cooperation, it's either you're not mature to know this or you're just plain daft. Go and find out how much it takes to deck and roof two one storey buildings at the same time and try and figure out how many legit income earners can afford such at a go without getting some help. Either your father has never bought a cup of sand before in his life or he has never had to build a duplex and a apartment complex of four flats at the same time, so neither him nor you will never know the cost implications of building such structures. That your mother was a selfish, inconsiderate leech that couldn't buy ordinary pant unless your father dropped the money doesn't mean all women are like that.

I am raising my son to respect women (what your parents clearly failed to do) and my daughter to be independent and not to think she came into this world to feed off a man. No shame in assisting your spouse financially, with chores or whatnot

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Divorce Your Wife, Lose Your House To Her - Oyo Court Rules by dominique(f): 7:54am On Mar 03, 2019
Daboomb:

There are Creches, Nannies and house helps whose job is to look after children where both parents are working.
Both Husband and wife simply contribute equally to the payment for such services.

Women should; stop using the children as an EXCUSE to be lazy or a WEAPON of revenge.

Everybody does Home Work, you hear.
Any work you do at home, is called homework.
When your Dad fixes a broken Water Heater or Kettle or the Washing machine, etc, does your Mum handover money to him, for such work done (or dont you know how much a "job man" will collect for such job)...or is it not just to smile at him and say welldone?
Does start stop him from going to his place of work the next day?

Kudos to your Mum for being a strong woman and as for that your WEAK Dad, thunder fire the lazy bastard.
undecided grin

You're getting kicks off insulting other people's parents, don't you know it says a lot about your own parents? Either your parents failed woefully in raising you right or they were very ill-mannered so they couldn't instill the right values into you. Note that whenever you point a finger at a person, the other four are pointing back at you.

1 Like

Re: Divorce Your Wife, Lose Your House To Her - Oyo Court Rules by tunjilana: 8:57am On Mar 03, 2019
I am totally for child support laws but I am not for taking ownership of assets u didnt work for or rendering a man useless cos he cant live with his wife again....There is a cost attached to raising kids and it can be accounted for... A sane judge should make both parties contribute towards that cost ..simple...everyone should retain properties owned by them...As for men...note that marriage isnt what it used to be and a woman can walk away at anytime...be diplomatic and wise when it comes to asset aquisition...in this regard some women have bn wiser and often knw how to hide their assets away while making u pay for everything needed to run the home such that u dont even have reaources to acquire assets and when the chips are down they still come for the little u have...the little they didnt contribute to...My own flag is...if ur money isnt family money and ur money isnt accounted for despite that u are working...then I will also b shady with mine...doing only tge barest minimum needed to run the home...till u receive sense

2 Likes

Re: Divorce Your Wife, Lose Your House To Her - Oyo Court Rules by smallsmall: 11:11pm On Mar 04, 2019
dominique:

I am raising my son to be an upright citizen and earn his money the legit way and not be ashamed to take soft loans to fund his project. No shame in getting assistance from his wife as well if she's willing. Is that not better than going into drugs or fraud so as not to come off as "weak or broke"?

Marriage is about partnership and cooperation, it's either you're not mature to know this or you're just plain daft. Go and find out how much it takes to deck and roof two one storey buildings at the same time and try and figure out how many legit income earners can afford such at a go without getting some help. Either your father has never bought a cup of sand before in his life or he has never had to build a duplex and a apartment complex of four flats at the same time, so neither him nor you will never know the cost implications of building such structures. That your mother was a selfish, inconsiderate leech that couldn't buy ordinary pant unless your father dropped the money doesn't mean all women are like that.

I am raising my son to respect women (what your parents clearly failed to do) and my daughter to be independent and not to think she came into this world to feed off a man. No shame in assisting your spouse financially, with chores or whatnot

Who deck and roof two storey buildings at the same time? YOU? grin
Story Story o, Story.

1 Like

Re: Divorce Your Wife, Lose Your House To Her - Oyo Court Rules by needful: 4:09am On Mar 05, 2019
dominique:

I am forced to write due to ur comment. Women like me who single handedly built a house we are leaving in should really end the marriage with all the comments I read here. How many men are taking care of women. Wait let me tell u people what u dont know, any man who couldn't acquire asset before marriage obviously has no asset for any asset acquired after marriage is a total joint effort. Myself and hubby has alot of asset and it was contributed 50;50. But I started buying my own asset when I noticed that if i give him money to buy, he buys on his name alone, meaning that he knew what he was doing. I just lie low and started buying properties on my name alone. Most of this men are hilarious infact. I was still the one who secretly wrote all the language test, prepare permanent resident Visa and everyone went to Canada. Most of men just come out here and be shouting property this and that, even when 80% of you totally depend on a woman for life increase. Nawaooo. Marriage for naija, I dey come
Re: Divorce Your Wife, Lose Your House To Her - Oyo Court Rules by needful: 4:43am On Mar 05, 2019
Daboomb:

Haaha, I see! Noise kwa?

grin grin grin

You live around lazy women and that is why you are dashing her a car. You cant even dash me a car because I will be riding more model than yours. People behave and react according to the training they got. Kudos to my dad who empowered all his children Male and female included. My kind of a woman wont even look at u not to talk about your wealth but you will look for a way to poison me in order to acquire my wealth because am obviously going to be richer than you. Do you think is every woman that look up to a man for his wealth. Let me even ask u one question, why are men of this days always looking for a hard working lady to marry, can u answer the question?. Woman like me married just prepared for any situation that might come up. If na divorce, I dont even care because my finance and asset will take care of me and my children. I won't even look up to for children upkeep. Be careful mr man, not all women sit down they and look. All this bank managers and top official ladies i see in naija, are u telling me that they still depend on their hubby for livelihood or vice versa?

1 Like

Re: Divorce Your Wife, Lose Your House To Her - Oyo Court Rules by frozen70(f): 9:46am On Mar 05, 2019
uzziwise:
What if its the woman's House? grin

Then she takes it all.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

I Love To Marry Her But worrying about the high bride price / Meet The Alleged Oldest Man In Anambra State - 122 Years Old / My Younger Sister Disrespects Me Alot - Help A First Born.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.