Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,683 members, 7,955,539 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 08:39 AM

Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh (12279 Views)

The Amazing Benefits Of Coconut Oil In Removing That Stretch Mark On Your Skin! / Photo: What Would You Do If You Came Home And Saw Your Child Like This!! / Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by babaibadan(m): 5:57pm On Aug 04, 2006
No amount of court action can erase the babies marks. what has happend has happened. She only needs ways of getting off the marks. I know of some pple whose marks fade away. And on the idea of abandoning her child, thats stupid. No matter the amount of tribal marks the child exhibits,shes still the mother. i wonder what the baby looks like now . probably Lagbaja
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by classiqkid(f): 2:19am On Aug 09, 2006
OMG! Lol I kno U told us not to laugh but I jus gottta lipsrsealed lmao, Anyways sha I can't stand tribal marks.
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by uzygirl(f): 10:06am On Aug 10, 2006
Woah, that is wickedness itself. It was hard not to laugh sha, but if this is true then it is very serious oh.
You guys need to live in Warri to know the havoc that tribal marks can cause. They are a dead give-away for the opposing tribe and 'person no go fit cover face dey waka for road na". Normally my Istekiri friends will just hide at home that period, even to go church na problem!
Imagine the child in so much pain. I would advise that the mother go collect her child before they'll do something worse. That child needs the mothers care more than ever now.
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by sweetnini(f): 11:14am On Aug 10, 2006
lol
i've been laughing for the past 30 minute now trying to catch my breath
wow this story is too funny that theres nothing i can say
lol
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by inprecise: 9:52pm On Aug 14, 2006
marks shows manliness and is a sign of strength and proudness. support our culture peeps cheesy
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by babaibadan(m): 10:14pm On Aug 14, 2006
inprecise:

marks shows manliness and is a sign of strength and proudness. support our culture peeps cheesy
how many marks have u got?
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by Scorpio(f): 10:44pm On Aug 14, 2006
lol, dat's d right question babaibadan cheesy
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by Ryley(m): 5:06pm On Feb 01, 2007
Let’s not be so quick to condemn the mother for fleeing to Lagos. She probably needed to clear head, plan a strategy, and then fetch her war implements/torture apparatus with which to hurt her mother-in-law, and maybe her husband too. grin

Seriously, I think the child should undergo surgery. Tribal marks are often superficial(depends on the type she gave him), and would simply take stitches to close (if done early). Besides, younger kids have undergone more complicated surgery, and come out alright.
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by beyunce(f): 7:06pm On May 21, 2007
Ok. I think even if u want to give ur child a tribal mark atleast it should be really light.At least dont give your child a tribal mark that will make him/her look lik a Yoruba when their Igbos. lol (My opinion)
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by spoilt(f): 4:29am On May 22, 2007
such major decisions should be left to the parents to make. i hate when grandparents interfere. she had no right to do that. why mutilate an innocent child. tribal marks used to be used in the old days to easily identify people from your village or clan. do we still need it now in 2007? im spitting mad right now and i dont even know the couple. what rot? angry

in the same vein, im currently growing my baby's hair. its quite bushy and my mom threatened to cut it when i go to work. if she trys it she'll know that butter is not the food of a monkey. i'll get mad for ordinary hair talk less of tribal marks. if you dont let them know where you stand from the get go about even the littlest issues next thing you know they'll be performing major operations on your child without asking you. angry

1 Like

Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by soulpatrol(f): 4:23pm On May 22, 2007
omigod, i would freak out if a family member did that to my child. thats just wrong! why do mothers/grandmothers think they have a right to do anything to their grandkids without consent? they should be asking for permission and the mother of the child should give them boundaries what they can/cannot do.  angry
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by laudate: 8:32pm On May 22, 2007
spoilt:

. if she trys it she'll know that butter is not the food of a monkey.

Hehehe!! Butter is not the food of a monkey?? Oh goodness, Spoilt, mind yahself o!  grin

You made me laugh so much today, that everyone was wondering what was tickling my ribs!
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by spoilt(f): 6:48am On May 23, 2007
laudate:

Hehehe!! Butter is not the food of a monkey?? Oh goodness, Spoilt, mind yahself o! grin

You made me laugh so much today, that everyone was wondering what was tickling my ribs!

sorry there was no better way i could butress my point. grin
i know how it is.sometimes when im on nairaland, i laugh so much my colleagues think ive lost it. grin
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by mellow(m): 7:19am On May 23, 2007
Before she married the Lawyer did she not know their culture,

Tradition and values? Did they not date? Did the Husband have

the same Marks on him? There is no need going overboard about

this as the deed has been done. I particularly hate the damn thing with a

passion but I will not subject my little boy to skin surgery. If he feels up to it

when he is older then it is decision to make.

But if you ask me I will tell you that the husband deserved to be flogged and

not the mother In-law. You know why, because me think the husband was aware

of what the mother was going to do to that baby but refrain from telling the wife

about it.
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by dominobaby(f): 9:03am On May 23, 2007
Oh gosh! Just read this thread again and couldn't help laughing, this thread's old but still cracks ma ribs.
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by soulpatrol(f): 7:09pm On May 23, 2007
abi o. imagine what the poor child will have to go through when he/she grows up. na so so names people go dey call am, like meow, tiger, cat etc (assuming the child has the oyo type tribal marks  grin)
i had a friend who has tribal marks and the rubbish she went through in school ehn?  i for curse her family for doing that to her face, but alas, the whole family has tribal marks, from mother, father to all the shidrens o! shocked

and imagine when the child comes abroad, omigod, that will be an entirely different experience. oyinbo go tease you die. grin
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by hunniebomb(f): 8:31pm On Sep 08, 2008
i ve this friend since high skool. she has one-one on her cheeks and the ila has green color and she has a very very light complexion. all the teasing and humiliation thru out high skool.

i thank my papa God that i ve no such things.
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by smile4kenn(m): 4:22am On Sep 09, 2008
nairaland, u people are good in forming stories from no where
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by DeepZone: 6:16am On Sep 09, 2008
This story is not even funny to me at all. I can't imagine anybody(including my husband) mutilating my child in the name of stupid tradition. Oyo people are so fond of tribal marks irrespective of the time we live in. Who marries a girl will cat claws on her face these days?

Surgery may help but not in all cases, like someone said, the younger, the better. If that mother in law can drag her fat behind to America and witness what many of my Yoruba folks with tribal marks are going through in this society and the way people stare at them like they are from "planet jungle" especially the women, she'll forever regret her actions. Even some yoruba men make fun of their own women that has those stupid marks.

I can't imagine why we can't let go some traditions that has nothing but misery to offer. Someone here said it looks cool, well good for him/her but i'll advise him/ her not to enforce it on his/her children and let them decide to do it on themselves as adults.

Tell your friend to suspend that car, big house etc and take that boy abroad for plastic surgery. It costs about $3k in California. Imagine that boy growing up to look like the picture below in this 21st century? I'm already losing it on that mother in law and may need someone here to hold me back.

1 Like

Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by Nobody: 10:09am On Sep 09, 2008
If my mother / mother-in-law, father, father-in-law branded my child, I'd disown them.

They'd no longer have anything to do with me or my family after that.
Who the hell gives them the right to brand a child?
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by amina2: 8:51am On May 06, 2009
nini i must say, dis story is very touching, i didn't find it funny at all. However there is still remedy for your friend's son.
I happen to be a victim of the tribal mark and i know ow humilating it can be,however i have a great personality and nobody dares laugh at me because i have accepted the fact that life continues regadless of any defect you have,and i beleive that pple will take you the way you portray yourself.Although my tribal marks are just 2 the long straight ones, and i have managed to make them fade out,you can harley see them.
i have been using bio oil and cocoa butter palmers,it makes the mark fade out,i beleive if ur friend tries this on her son,it's gonna work cos he's still a baby, what i'm not sure about is if bio oil can be used on a baby's skin,but cocoa butter will surely work. Let me know if it works Good luck
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by biina: 9:07am On May 06, 2009
tribal marks? the modern term is 'facial tattoos' grin
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by FBS: 9:37am On May 06, 2009
wtf? terrible. in this age and time?
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by unfaded(m): 1:07pm On May 06, 2009
pikin na pikin
ucan't stop loving a child because of tribalmarks
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by Kaestro(m): 3:15pm On May 06, 2009
FBS:

wtf? terrible. in this age and time?

@ FBS. Actually the post is about 3 years therefore the incident happened in the ancient past. grin
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by spikedcylinder: 3:56pm On May 06, 2009
Bleeding hell! I will give that mother a blow on her face o. angry
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by Nobody: 4:15pm On May 06, 2009
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by FBS: 7:05am On May 07, 2009
Kaestro:

@ FBS. Actually the post is about 3 years therefore the incident happened in the ancient past. grin
you are laughing? its not funny. Why would any sane person do that. be it 3 years ago or 10?
Can someone please file a court case? This is child abuse of some sort.
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by spikedcylinder: 9:50am On May 07, 2009
chaircover:

The husband is to blame sha, how can he allow his mother to have such clout and power to take such a decision without asking the wifes opinion, mummy's boy!

How? undecided He wasn't even there when the designs were made on his child's face, he was as oblivious as his wife.

Its his reaction afterwards that could determine if he's a "mummy's boy" or not and I've not seen anything about his reaction on this thread.
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by Nobody: 10:10am On May 07, 2009
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by Kaestro(m): 11:21am On May 08, 2009
If this mother did not inscribe marks on her own son and for whatever reasons feels the grandchild deserves it then we may be looking at a delibrate act towards breaking the marriage of her son.She might have done it out of sheer contempt for the wife. Perhaps revenge for something either the son or daughter in-law did.
Re: Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh by nnaemmy(m): 1:35pm On May 09, 2009
Na wa o grin it is part of the RE-BRANDING that is going on. shocked shocked

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Do You Forget A Spouse That Has Forgotten You / I Caught My Wife With My Landlord In Bed!! Pictures / Have Your Parents Ever Apologized To You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.