Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,596 members, 7,823,589 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:04 PM

At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? (35572 Views)

At What Age Should A Father Stop Bathing His Daughter? / At What Age Should An Adult Leave Their Parents’ House? / My Husband Always Tells Me To Leave His House During Quarrel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by Hoodbilonia: 8:08pm On Mar 15, 2019
Who ask u
Story
See epistles
Boredom is a disease
Evans211:
Mine is complex. Left home at age 15 immediately after secondary to join my uncle in Lag. He lived in a face me and slap you with his friends (about 5-6) lol. I manged there for 2 years while I’m preparing for jamb. Got admission and the rest is history. I stayed in school hostel cause I couldn’t afford off camp accommodation..

During strikes I’d be force to leave hostel and sometimes squat in a friend’s place off camp. I rarely go to Lagos cause Uncle got married and was staying with his Iyawo in his newly built home. Although not to taste but I really don’t like his iyawo and her delay in cooking. I like food but she starves me a lot.. perhaps ignorantly.

In 300L I started doing one or two hustles and money began to pump in heavy.. I was technically 19-20 years when I’ve been on my own.. would be 24 this April and thank God for everything.

Sometimes, certain conditions would boost your morale and hunger to be independent at least, if not rich but OK.

I’m the boss of myself now. I only called to check on his kids; send stuffs etc. last year December, I was in lag but I lodge in an hotel for a week..

I really don’t like visiting family people I no like some kind iyawo issues... na she dey call me now tho. She dey even call me “sir” but hey, I’ve earned my respect. I no do pass myself
Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by udo2018: 8:11pm On Mar 15, 2019
Have been living alone all my life.. From boarding school to Uni and never went back home after NYSC..
Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by ehinorlive: 8:12pm On Mar 15, 2019
Evans211:
Mine is complex. Left home at age 15 immediately after secondary to join my uncle in Lag. He lived in a face me and slap you with his friends (about 5-6) lol. I manged there for 2 years while I’m preparing for jamb. Got admission and the rest is history. I stayed in school hostel cause I couldn’t afford off camp accommodation..

During strikes I’d be force to leave hostel and sometimes squat in a friend’s place off camp. I rarely go to Lagos cause Uncle got married and was staying with his Iyawo in his newly built home. Although not to taste but I really don’t like his iyawo and her delay in cooking. I like food but she starves me a lot.. perhaps ignorantly.

In 300L I started doing one or two hustles and money began to pump in heavy.. I was technically 19-20 years when I’ve been on my own.. would be 24 this April and thank God for everything.

Sometimes, certain conditions would boost your morale and hunger to be independent at least, if not rich but OK.

I’m the boss of myself now. I only called to check on his kids; send stuffs etc. last year December, I was in lag but I lodge in an hotel for a week..

I really don’t like visiting family people I no like some kind iyawo issues... na she dey call me now tho. She dey even call me “sir” but hey, I’ve earned my respect. I no do pass myself
i like ur Style of writing Mahn

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by Nobody: 8:13pm On Mar 15, 2019
I think a child should stay with their Parents until they are 50 years old. Afterall the child didn't ask the parents to give birth to Him/her. Parents should ask for permission from child before Having sex and giving birth to child.

If you don't like my opinion, you are a fool who is a Slave to your parents.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by Nobody: 8:14pm On Mar 15, 2019
Jiang:

My guy pls let's be honest, Majority of people who comot from thier parents house usually, wanna have an apartment & bring girls to nack, All those talk of freedom Na bullshyt to justify their ego.

If for example ur parents are poor, that is Even more reason to stay with them, they fed you for decades & now YOU DON BECOME ADULT, you bring one shyt like move out, You be eating indomie & rice while ur parents dey soak akamu. Instead stay with them, Hustle & take over the freaking house bills, I ASSURE YOU, YOU WILL BE MORE BLESSED THAN ONE NIGGA WHO ABANDON THEM in order to prove he is man enough to live alone.

And I seriously frown upon young ladies moving out, NO MATTER HOW OLD PLEASE STAY WITH ur parents till marriage. Personally I look down upon single women who live alone, unless she's an orphan

so because your parent is poor that means you should be poor too, guys need to be ambitious, i think that should be a good reason to move away from the house and get your own stuff going.

2 Likes

Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by don4real18(m): 8:15pm On Mar 15, 2019
Well, I'm not certain that there's a particular age. Don't compare yourself with others while striving to improve yourself. Some make it early while some makes it late.
The economy is hard and even parents understand their children's plight. After all, there are a lot of supposed independent individuals in their houses who goes from debt to bigger debts. Some still go home to request foodstuffs from their parents and no parent will want to see their children starve.
Be yourself. If you rent your apartment, it is for you and not for those providing a deadline..

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by JeffSiberstein: 8:21pm On Mar 15, 2019
I'm an orphan, my parents left a building behind. I left the house at 26 this January. I was too comfortable there, I didn't pay rent, I didn't have a job cos I was living off the rent I collected from tenants. I had to leave to find my own.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by 2gbasky22(m): 8:25pm On Mar 15, 2019
What about we wey no get
Papa nor mama
Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by Nobody: 8:27pm On Mar 15, 2019
I'm leaving home after NYSC.
Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by daben1(m): 8:28pm On Mar 15, 2019
nkemdi89:
I left my parents house at 18 when I got a federal government job with my o level , trained myself through university and I clocked 30 today. For a lady if you are not employed or having something meaningful at hand, remain with your parents , because men would advantage of your staying alone. It takes a level of discipline to survive it.
do you still work there, sis?
Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by uuzba(m): 8:30pm On Mar 15, 2019
The age when he's an adult.
Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by Pavarottii(m): 8:35pm On Mar 15, 2019
wetdick:
On a more serious note

parents need to force their children out of the home once they graduate university, they also need to support them financially until they get their first job.

in life, we all need support to succeed.
Okay the parent would rent a house for them? Don't get u?

1 Like

Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by Grupo(m): 8:36pm On Mar 15, 2019
joyberry:
Its depends on the individual, parents. Was 22 when I moved to a new state cos of work;in my base i see young peeps of 18-20 already staying alone and working .
Chai, see military girl.

Abeg, come be my girlfriend. Hope say you no go dey flog me?
Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by daben1(m): 8:36pm On Mar 15, 2019
Swtcherries:
don't you think it should be after you get married?
Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by Nobody: 8:37pm On Mar 15, 2019
Pavarottii:

yes, if they can rent a cheaper apartment for their son or daughter till he/she gets a job, why not?
Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by Nobody: 8:38pm On Mar 15, 2019
Swtcherries:

good stuff and i support you 100%.
Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by Pavarottii(m): 8:39pm On Mar 15, 2019
DonroxyII:
I left Finally @25 ... When I began M.sc !!
But parent still supported u... Cos I don't see where u get money for ur Msc? ?

5 Likes

Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by Pavarottii(m): 8:40pm On Mar 15, 2019
wetdick:

yes, if they can rent a cheaper apartment for their son or daughter till he/she gets a job, why not?
And who will be feeding him... U think to stay alone na beans? Do u take total full care of Urself?
Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by Halo22: 8:41pm On Mar 15, 2019
It depends on how reliable one becomes on him or herself. But for me, considering the situation the country has found itself, at 30 one should leave his or her parents for a better future.
Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by uuzba(m): 8:43pm On Mar 15, 2019
wetdick:
On a more serious note

parents need to force their children out of the home once they graduate university, they also need to support them financially until they get their first job.
in life, we all need support to succeed.

They should pursue you from house and still support you outside house? Why do people speak French on this forum?
You are trying to use Western ruler to measure African progress.
Your Western colleagues all WRITE and ESSAY to the University of their choice DETAILING EXACTLY what they
want to come and do in the University, How they will use their degree to better their lives.
They are seriouly focused on their future before they even enter University. Not this our "general attitude" of
my mates are going to university. Let me go too with no focus and be gallivanting and disturbing others, graduate and be waka-ing for road and complaining on social media.
Western parents cannot even afford university fees. They don't pay. The kids take out the Student LOAN from government to fund their education and PAY BACK from TAX after they get jobs. Otherwise, receive a bad credit rating and be denied further credit facilities from banks and any other establishment.

What is your own focus? You want make them pursue una from house and still be giving you money outside to flex in shoprite?

If you are not ready, you are not ready. Stay in the house and receive all the humiliation that comes with it till you carry your ass and look for work and gain your independence outside.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by Nobody: 8:46pm On Mar 15, 2019
Pavarottii:

And who will be feeding him... U think to stay alone na beans? Do u take total full care of Urself?

if you read what i wrote earlier, a parent can help the child financially and help him or her to be independent until he/she finds a job and take care of his/her expenses. so to stay or live alone is hard? i guess you are already use to comfort and mummy's food

wait if a parent can sponsor the weddings of their young and financially unstable children, i see no reason why they can help him or her to be independent.

1 Like

Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by uuzba(m): 8:47pm On Mar 15, 2019
Pavarottii:

But parent still supported u... Cos I don't see where u get money for ur Msc? ?
Don't mind him. Talking like Dangote.
Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by uuzba(m): 8:48pm On Mar 15, 2019
Pavarottii:

The guy is talking French.
They should rent house for the child. Kuku add feeding money. Add wife and car.
Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by Unconquerable: 8:48pm On Mar 15, 2019
There is no official age.
Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by iCauseTrouble: 8:50pm On Mar 15, 2019
joyberry:
Its depends on the individual, parents. Was 22 when I moved to a new state cos of work;in my base i see young peeps of 18-20 already staying alone and working .
Most beautiful military personel I have ever seen. Would like to hook up with you in Abuja anytime you come around.
Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by Kendrick80(m): 8:53pm On Mar 15, 2019
don4real18:
Well, I'm not certain that there's a particular age. Don't compare yourself with others while striving to improve yourself. Some make it early while some makes it late.
The economy is hard and even parents understand their children's plight. After all, there are a lot of supposed independent individual in their houses who goes from debt to bigger debts. Some still go home to request foodstuffs from their parents and no parent will want to see their children starve.
Be yourself. If you rent your apartment, it is for you and not for those providing a deadline..
Hello I saw construction mgt on ur siggy...Incase u guys need 2 insulate your roof pls dont hesitate to call us.Cheers

1 Like

Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by Nobody: 8:56pm On Mar 15, 2019
uuzba:

They should pursue you from house and still support you outside house? Why do people speak French on this forum?
You are trying to use Western ruler to measure African progress.
Your Western colleagues all WRITE and ESSAY to the University of their choice DETAILING EXACTLY what they
want to come and do in the University, How they will use their degree to better their lives.
They are seriouly focused on their future before they even enter University. Not this our "general attitude" of
my mates are going to university. Let me go too with no focus and be gallivanting and disturbing others, graduate and be waka-ing for road and complaining on social media.
Western parents cannot even afford university fees. They don't pay. The kids take out the Student LOAN from government to fund their education and PAY BACK from TAX after they get jobs. Otherwise, receive a bad credit rating and be denied further credit facilities from banks and any other establishment.

What is your own focus? You want make them pursue una from house and still be giving you money outside to flex in shoprite?

If you are not ready, you are not ready. Stay in the house and receive all the humiliation that comes with it till you carry your ass and look for work and gain your independence outside.

i am not using any western rule here, so are you trying to tell me young people arent leaving their father and mother's house to be independent here in Nigeria, i did it and i know guys and girls that did it,they didnt have to rent mansion or self contain, they basically rented a three bedroom flat, where each of them divide the rent by 3, and there are people who their parent did help financially, they left, either they squat with someone or they got a job, rent an apartment and move out.

And the western idea, some parent who can afford an apartment for their kid, do that while other kids also squat with their friends till they can stand on their own, some parent lends their kids cash till he or she stands on their own and then the kid pay back the debt to their parent.

1 Like

Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by Kendrick80(m): 8:58pm On Mar 15, 2019
Gypsey and jiang una be werey I swear cheesy

1 Like

Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by latexxbro(m): 9:03pm On Mar 15, 2019
seyigiggle:
Poverty has really done bad to this one.
Mr. no be everybody be suffer head like you and your lineage.
my family no be Dangote, but well structured.
Even if they delay your destiny, you would graduate before 26.
Anyways, I am a proof of what I wrote.
By the way, how old are you? Can you get married by 27?

By the way, I have a colleague whose child is schooling abroad and would graduate by 19 this year.
The child is not willing to relocate to naija.
What do you have to say?

suffer head you say??Lol
Mr Man, I graduated at 20 and I already started my Business while in school because my parents had the money to help me set up the business,I got a car for myself Rx350 and I'm actually sponsoring my younger sister that's still in Uni,No need for all this offline talk where else you might be lieing, if you don't mind,we can exchange maybe new contacts and to show you I'm not just bragging,and I also have over a million naira in my account and my business is still not half where I'm moving it to be, So saying a guy should leave his parents house upon graduation is TOTALLY WRONG because I wouldn't have done that if my parents didn't put it together for me with the funds,rather you can just say MAYBE upon graduation,And the friend you used as an example schooling abroad..You sound funny there.
By the way I'm not up to 24 yet..Don't claim you re right.
Don't mind the typos.

2 Likes

Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by latexxbro(m): 9:07pm On Mar 15, 2019
AreaFada2:
LOL @ Jesus film behind the scene you posted below your post. grin

Until the time parents cannot tolerate their presence anymore. cheesy

Joke aside, it depends. Some are not ready to move out even at 35. Others become independent at 18 to 25.

Lol..the Jesus film ?? I stole it from Twitter lol.
It depends bro and that's what I'm trying to tell him and not upon graduation. Most of my friends while in school didn't go back home after graduation..Some still went home and some are also doing better than the former ones..
Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by Nobody: 9:10pm On Mar 15, 2019
daben1:
don't you think it should be after you get married?
Nah
Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by Snow5(m): 9:11pm On Mar 15, 2019
SEXYBILLIONAIRE:
bro it's hard work and smart work. We not successful by chance or by mercy or by god or Satan. Lottery winners and people that inherited cash and properties exempted

you never see life..

you are still learning . life will teach you things itself.

just hang in there.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Sopha Denise Shares Her Love Story Online - PICS / Bored In Marriage / Why Nigerian Guys Are Refusing To Marry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.