Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,040 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:31 AM

At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? (35569 Views)

At What Age Should A Father Stop Bathing His Daughter? / At What Age Should An Adult Leave Their Parents’ House? / My Husband Always Tells Me To Leave His House During Quarrel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by Futureyahooboi(m): 8:56am On Mar 16, 2019
Nowadays immediately dem born you and you don dey waka you are independent...... for me l started staying along when i was in ss2
Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by DonroxyII: 8:57am On Mar 16, 2019
Pavarottii:

Okay she still supports u... That's Wat I want to hear...
She be my mama no be ya mama..... Even If I be 50 and she in 70s..... she go still dey buy yams, Garri, Peppers give me ....... na so confirm African mothers dey be ......
...... I don't know nor wanna know how una tey dey do for una home ooo !!

no dey troll me abeg!!
Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by ejimatic: 9:07am On Mar 16, 2019
bidemz:
In this era we live in I've seen children in the streets fending off for themselves at a tender age ranging from the age of 12 and above which I find abnormal (in most cases I think it's due to poverty) but I see zeal in them, some of them are those we see in traffic selling pure waters, etc....

While some men/women at the age of 25-30 are still living under their parents roof, still being fed by their parents. I also find this not a good standard for a person of that age.

This prompted me to ask this question, at what ideal age should an individual start an independent life?
. Many factors must be considered.. In America at 16 you are an adult. in Nigeria at 18 you are an adult. However that does not mean you can be living alone then though you can decide what you want in those ages.A child in Nigeria must be guided well by his parents before living home... No rushing about it..Many people are outside now smoking cocaine Indian hemp and tramadol because they lack good parenting technique and guidance.The number is increasing daily.Children should leave home when it good for them to do so with support of their parents and their guidance.If safety and livehood are not guaranteed any child that leaves home even at 23 is a criminal in the making.
Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by Chuksmonika(m): 9:10am On Mar 16, 2019
dgee1:
Really depressing reading all the comments here. I probably shouldnt have opened this thread. I'm 31 and still living with my parents. Graduated, started work and was supporting with some bills at home, then lost the job and been jobless for close to two years now.

Really frustrated and confused right now.
dont give up bro...be strong...and please dont ever believe everything you read here,upto 60percent of them are lies,i assure you....some people here are making mouth and they know it,one even said he left at age of 13,what responsible parent will allow their child leave house at age 13,like i said earlier,be strong,you will soon get there bro!!

3 Likes

Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by Awaoyelmoni(m): 9:38am On Mar 16, 2019
Started a cooking gas refill biz plan on leaving home in a few days time cos of distance of my shop to my hauz.
P.S I plan on living in the shop gas nd all, haha we die hia...
My resolve if there is food hia I go chop am.
Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by seyigiggle: 10:19am On Mar 16, 2019
You sound reasonable among those who quoted me. hence why i am replying you.
i no be pure ajebo, lets say I enjoyed God's grace as you have rightly said.
By the way, thank you for reminding me the good memories of my dear mum whom i lost 20 years ago.

Apus:

Boast not and if U must, boast by God's grace. Not everyone will be privileged as you na. You sound like a mommy's boy though (no offence).

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by olisehcom(f): 10:55am On Mar 16, 2019
iCauseTrouble:
For guys. I say immediately after school or service.
For ladies, They should stay till their husbands come to pick them.
Most ladies staying alone are oloshos in disguise

Myopic
Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by ganie(m): 11:05am On Mar 16, 2019
Horiolah:

Wow, we're on the same page. Honestly i don't know what to do. Can't leave her alone.
Really? How do you intend to go about it? Have you whispered such to her before?
Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by olisehcom(f): 11:17am On Mar 16, 2019
Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by Gerrard59(m): 12:46pm On Mar 16, 2019
Jiang:

Take her younger brother with her when she settles, A young unmarried woman should not be living alone

The most nonsensical statement I've read this week! So a grown adult should not reside alone even when she can take care of herself? shocked

koyyes:
Nigerians and their politicians are fighting so hard to make sure that the average required age is 40 years instead of 18 years.

Going through the thread, it is apparent that Nigerians deserve whatever they get. They deserve everything!

1 Like

Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by Nobody: 1:02pm On Mar 16, 2019
JUST move out in your 20s biko. I don’t really understand how you can be 30+ living with your mum. Sometimes you need to push yourself to take that step of faith, opportunities will then come your way.
Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by cassyrooy(m): 3:12pm On Mar 16, 2019
For me, I want to leave immediately after NYSC but, I feel like I've left already because while in school I don't crave home and when I do go home, I easily crave to get out of there.

Having no parents anymore, I intend to marry within the shortest time of moving out.

But, moving out should be a thing to be desired. Those who continue to shout move out early, Nigerian factor still count o, my brother moved out in 2006, he returned in 2011 because things just couldn't be held together for him (despite the supports from mom then). But things are different for him now.

MissJoy29 come and talk o!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by MrDojo(m): 4:48pm On Mar 16, 2019
dgee1:
Really depressing reading all the comments here. I probably shouldnt have opened this thread. I'm 31 and still living with my parents. Graduated, started work and was supporting with some bills at home, then lost the job and been jobless for close to two years now.

Really frustrated and confused right now.

Take heart, brother. It's not easy, but God will favor you.

Take a look at this thread
https://www.nairaland.com/3269169/modified-making-money-publishing-amazon

Also, check the thread on job vacancies - the one talking about you can't be a Nairalander and be broke. Take care of yourself.

1 Like

Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by Mizwisdom(f): 4:53pm On Mar 16, 2019
airprinz:
kai!! see fine gal here ooo!!! I don masturbate tired.
Na this kind person I want, God.
Even though this one wan kill me for Barack because of loving her I don't care.
Afterall man must die once, after that judgement

You think it's cool to tell a lady you masturbated? I hope you meet her & she kicks your scrawly behind with her thick leather boot cheesy
Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by airprinz(m): 6:36pm On Mar 16, 2019
Mizwisdom:

You think it's cool to tell a lady you masturbated? I hope you meet her & she kicks your scrawly behind with her thick leather boot cheesy
See her using indirect word on me.

Let her kick it. I like her and nothing can change that
Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by MissJoy29(f): 7:11pm On Mar 16, 2019
cassyrooy:
For me, I want to leave immediately after NYSC but, I feel like I've left already because while in school I don't crave home and when I do go home, I easily crave to get out of there.

Having no parents anymore, I intend to marry within the shortest time of moving out.

But, moving out should be a thing to be desired. Those who continue to shout move out early, Nigerian factor still count o, my brother moved out in 2006, he returned in 2011 because things just couldn't be held together for him (despite the supports from mom then). But things are different for him now.

MissJoy29 come and talk o!
Lol...

I have always had this air of independence around me. I started working while in secondary school even when popsi had money. Bought my first phone myself back in 2006 & even the subsequent ones. So it wasn't difficult for me to start itching to leave my parents house. Fews days after service in the month of October, I left my parents house and moved to my uncle's place. A year & a month later, I started living on my own.

So, there's no hard & fast rule about this. Leave when you feel the time is right.
Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by dgee1(m): 8:52pm On Mar 16, 2019
Jiang:

Stop comparing urself with other people if you no wan depression to frustrate ur life or force you to make some stupid choices that you will end up regretting, THEY ARE THEM & YOU ARE YOU.

OK bro, thanks

1 Like

Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by dgee1(m): 8:53pm On Mar 16, 2019
Chuksmonika:
dont give up bro...be strong...and please dont ever believe everything you read here,upto 60percent of them are lies,i assure you....some people here are making mouth and they know it,one even said he left at age of 13,what responsible parent will allow their child leave house at age 13,like i said earlier,be strong,you will soon get there bro!!

Thanks, bro
Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by dgee1(m): 8:53pm On Mar 16, 2019
MrDojo:

Take heart, brother. It's not easy, but God will favor you.

Take a look at this thread
https://www.nairaland.com/3269169/modified-making-money-publishing-amazon

Also, check the thread on job vacancies - the one talking about you can't be a Nairalander and be broke. Take care of yourself.

Thank you. Well appreciated

1 Like

Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by Akalia(m): 9:01pm On Mar 16, 2019
gypsey:
I think a child should stay with their Parents until they are 50 years old. Afterall the child didn't ask the parents to give birth to Him/her. Parents should ask for permission from child before Having sex and giving birth to child.

If you don't like my opinion, you are a fool. who is a Slave to your parents.
Your line of thought is valid though the meaning may be hard to grasp or accept to many.
Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by Webar2018: 9:20pm On Mar 16, 2019
latexxbro:

At most Upon Graduation from Uni you say because you go thief for Uni abi na business be your primary aim for Uni?? People and their mentality self..You didn't even say NYSC,So let's assume you graduated at 20yrs,You should Leave abi??

your type might still be with his parents at 30-35..

Mumu I left my home the day I entered school and never went back home ... At the age of 23 , I had my own home already
.. since 22 I've not been comfortable under my folks roof for over 24 hours
Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by Webar2018: 9:26pm On Mar 16, 2019
ejimatic:
. Many factors must be considered.. In America at 16 you are an adult. in Nigeria at 18 you are an adult. However that does not mean you can be living alone then though you can decide what you want in those ages.A child in Nigeria must be guided well by his parents before living home... No rushing about it..Many people are outside now smoking cocaine Indian hemp and tramadol because they lack good parenting technique and guidance.The number is increasing daily.Children should leave home when it good for them to do so with support of their parents and their guidance.If safety and livehood are not guaranteed any child that leaves home even at 23 is a criminal in the making.
I know people who take Indian hemp but still doing better than you ...abuse or misuse of substance have nothing to do with leaving home ... Many people are abusers under their parents roof
Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by Nobody: 10:05pm On Mar 16, 2019
Akalia:
Your line of thought is valid though the meaning may be hard to grasp or accept to many.
Absolutely! and i didn't mean it in such Estreem, some of my Assertions are Sheer sarcasm. cheesy I am glad you comprehend.
Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by Nobody: 10:07pm On Mar 16, 2019
Webar2018:
I know people who take Indian hemp but still doing better than you ...abuse or misuse of substance have nothing to do with leaving home ... Many people are abusers under their parents roof
Absolutely, most Abusers Ussually Youths are living with parents.
Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by Horiolah(m): 12:26am On Mar 17, 2019
ganie:

Really?
Yeah.

[/quote]How do you intend to go about it?[/quote] probably get a house close by.

[/quote]Have you whispered such to her before?[/quote]
Whenever we get in a fight. My bad.
Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by ireneidiva(f): 4:51am On Mar 17, 2019
real777:
All these leaving home stories & tales should not be a template to gauge success. Some left early & it paid while the majority ended like the proverbial prodigal son. Other than job location, an unmarried young lady should continue living with parents or family house. Some young girls here in the GRA pays yearly rent of 500k when they have no meaningful job other than selling their ToTo & these are the kind of people you want to imitate right? For the boys it is freedom to fornicate & engage in ill gotten money online. This is what I know & I got them plenty here in my neighborhood.
I currently have a 22 to 24 year old girl living alone but she comes home from 10pm everyday in the guise of a hair stylist / apprentice but okpo work & different boyfriends is the source of her house rent. People are too ashamed now living with parents in Benin/C & funny enough many houses will be empty & start to rot once parents dies.
Some folks I know have two houses but still living in father's house because father is dead & nobody care about maintenance. Everybody don dey their own. The vanity of life..
You need to change your neighbourhood. Where I live, the girls that live alone are not prostitutes.
Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by humblesteve(m): 3:13am On May 21, 2019
joyberry:
Its depends on the individual, parents. Was 22 when I moved to a new state cos of work;in my base i see young peeps of 18-20 already staying alone and working .
Hi joyberry, please I need your attention on something if you don’t mind...
Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by Hullabaloon: 11:10am On Jul 15, 2019
Meklex:
26 and still living with my folks. Will be moving out before June

This is July, you don move out?
Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by Hullabaloon: 11:43am On Jul 15, 2019
ganie:
I am in this situation presently,I live with my mom alone being her only son.

I am a graduate and presently employed with a salary of over 50k,I am fit to rent a room self contained apartment that is close to my place of work. Though,I intend to actualise this in the next two months.

But I have been thinking of how it will be like considering I am the only one with her though I have made it compulsory that I will continue to assist her with a stipend to cater for the expenses I take care of presently.

Please advise me.

How much is the self-con you plan to rent?
Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by Meklex(m): 1:03pm On Jul 15, 2019
Hullabaloon:

This is July, you don move out?
yep. Last week.

2 Likes

Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by Hullabaloon: 2:24pm On Jul 15, 2019
Meklex:
yep. Last week.

Wow, neat room.

Is that a self con or just a room face? How much is it?
Location?
Re: At What Age Should A Child Leave His/Her Parents And Start An Independent Life? by ganie(m): 2:43pm On Jul 15, 2019
Hullabaloon:

How much is the self-con you plan to rent?
70-80k around Ikotun axis.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Bored In Marriage / Sopha Denise Shares Her Love Story Online - PICS / Why Nigerian Guys Are Refusing To Marry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.