Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,454 members, 7,830,243 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:33 PM

Lawyers Advise Women To Drop Maiden Name After Marriage - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Lawyers Advise Women To Drop Maiden Name After Marriage (28987 Views)

1 Year After Marriage, I Am Already Tired / Man Marries Lady Impregnated By Another Man. Finds Out After Marriage (Photos) / My Wife Is A Good Woman But Hates Sex After Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lawyers Advise Women To Drop Maiden Name After Marriage by Amberon11: 1:10pm On Mar 16, 2019
You mean the mother's who took all manner of sh!!t from their husbands including domestic violence and illegitimate kids?
If that is wisdom to you then you need to get your head checked.

Muslims have been keeping their father's names for centuries, are they feminists too?
Omoluabi16:
If you are not ready to drop your maiden name, then remain in your father's house forever. Why are we Even discussing this? All this useless feminist who should be focusing on women emancipation and core issues like Rape, FGM and trafficking will be trying to prove what they are not. They think men are their biggest problem. Their wise mothers and Grandmothers got on peacefully and were fulfilled. Rubbish.

13 Likes

Re: Lawyers Advise Women To Drop Maiden Name After Marriage by Amberon11: 1:12pm On Mar 16, 2019
Can you tell us what verse of the Bible tells women to take on their husbands names?
SEGLIZ:
the common law, common sense, even religious bases spelt it out clearly but pride and arrogance won't allow them reason, the stupid drive to become dominant won't open doors for reasoning from a bit room for common sense.

3 Likes

Re: Lawyers Advise Women To Drop Maiden Name After Marriage by Divay22(f): 1:12pm On Mar 16, 2019
Purity Great
How about that wink cheesy

1 Like

Re: Lawyers Advise Women To Drop Maiden Name After Marriage by BusinessHub1: 1:13pm On Mar 16, 2019
Amberon11:
Are feminists the cause of your failure in life?
No, your father!! B!tch don’t quote me again next time. Unam ikot
Re: Lawyers Advise Women To Drop Maiden Name After Marriage by Amberon11: 1:15pm On Mar 16, 2019
This is actually what I like about Islam.
Change of name is just too time wasting and inconsequential. Moreover after change of name and the lady gets divorced what then happens? She begins the changing back to her maiden name? Lol
Stalwert:
Islamically it is not permissible to adopt your husband name.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lawyers Advise Women To Drop Maiden Name After Marriage by Amberon11: 1:16pm On Mar 16, 2019
Deluded product of a maggot infested pvssy. Fvck off.
BusinessHub1:

No, your father!! B!tch don’t quote me again next time. Unam ikot
Re: Lawyers Advise Women To Drop Maiden Name After Marriage by Omoluabi16(m): 1:16pm On Mar 16, 2019
Amberon11:
You mean the mother's who took all manner of sh!!t from their husbands including domestic violence and illegitimate kids?
If that is wisdom to you then you need to get your head checked.

Muslims have been keeping their father's names for centuries, are they feminists too?
You should get your head checked yourself. Even in the western world you're bum licking domestic violence has existed for centuries and will continue to exist irrespective of whatever happens. I don't support it one bit, but don't delude yourself about feminism being a key movement against domestic violence. Even then there were happy marriages as there are now. Kindly separate Human rights movement from your feminism movement. Where you're pro abortion, pro my body alone and irrelevant matters like name change.

1 Like

Re: Lawyers Advise Women To Drop Maiden Name After Marriage by may320: 1:17pm On Mar 16, 2019
I disagree!
Women should use their maiden name alongside their husband's name.
I always believed it should be dropped until experience from some women made me change my orientation on it.
Re: Lawyers Advise Women To Drop Maiden Name After Marriage by Xisnin(m): 1:17pm On Mar 16, 2019
DanDeeBoss:
This is the perfect description of who Nigerian Feminists are.... "Men Haters"
Because they want to retain their father's name?
SMH

5 Likes

Re: Lawyers Advise Women To Drop Maiden Name After Marriage by BusinessHub1: 1:18pm On Mar 16, 2019
Amberon11:
Deluded product of a maggot infested pvssy. Fvck off.
See who is talking...wasted product!
Your frustration in life is in first stage...I pity you.
Re: Lawyers Advise Women To Drop Maiden Name After Marriage by openmine(m): 1:19pm On Mar 16, 2019
Just like what the female lawyers said, its optional!
Just don't insist....ask if your hubby is okay with you adding your maiden name with his surname!

If he agrees,fine but if he doesn't,then there will definitely be a problem!
All these issues must be resolved before the couple get married to avoid unnecessary ego play!

For me,a lady having her Hubby's name does not diminish her qualities,skills or take away her self respect!

And besides,that maiden name she is bearing belonged to her father whom the mother kept willingly!

Its all about communication!

2 Likes

Re: Lawyers Advise Women To Drop Maiden Name After Marriage by suxy(m): 1:21pm On Mar 16, 2019
meobizy:

...and if they ask for logically thinking entities this one will also raise his hand?
Wonders shall never end.
The funny part is you never see their type in the politics section but they troll everywhere else with political filth.

Bros the thing shock me oo
no correlation to the topic been discussed at all, I wanted to answer him but I changed my mind as I don't think he's worth it.

2 Likes

Re: Lawyers Advise Women To Drop Maiden Name After Marriage by DanDeeBoss(m): 1:22pm On Mar 16, 2019
Xisnin:

Because they want to retain their father's name?
SMH
Understand my comment first before replying
Re: Lawyers Advise Women To Drop Maiden Name After Marriage by may320: 1:23pm On Mar 16, 2019
Stalwert:
Islamically it is not permissible to adopt your husband name.
You're right!
I got the understanding last year that in Islam, a woman still bears their father's name. I knew of few Islam women who either keep their father's name in their husband's house or, bear the two names alongside each other.
Its in Christianity that they will make such women look like a sinner if she chooses to retain her father's name.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lawyers Advise Women To Drop Maiden Name After Marriage by meobizy(f): 1:25pm On Mar 16, 2019
suxy:

Bros the thing shock me oo
no correlation to the topic been discussed at all, I wanted to answer him but I changed my mind as I don't think he's worth it.
He’ll come at me with curses very soon.
It is their way here.
Re: Lawyers Advise Women To Drop Maiden Name After Marriage by maasoap(m): 1:26pm On Mar 16, 2019
janettee:
"They suggested the need for women to change their surnames after marriage, warning that retention of maiden name could lead to misunderstanding or divorce."

So if a woman doesn't change her surname, she would likely get divorced?!.

Got it.

If the husband insists on name change and the wife insists on keeping it, the communication may break down if the husband won't let it be and that's divorce loading
Re: Lawyers Advise Women To Drop Maiden Name After Marriage by Greatfullheart: 1:27pm On Mar 16, 2019
Some Maiden Name Have Made married Couples To Divorce. But Not In My Own Case, if My Future Wife/Hubby decides That She Wants put Or Use Her Maiden Name No wahala as Long There's Peace And Harmony

Re: Lawyers Advise Women To Drop Maiden Name After Marriage by lolaluv1(f): 1:27pm On Mar 16, 2019
Even the Bible promises to spit out 'the lukewarm'. You call yourselves learned fellows but you are here displaying gross ignorance. Gtfoh angry angry
Re: Lawyers Advise Women To Drop Maiden Name After Marriage by midnighter(f): 1:27pm On Mar 16, 2019
may320:
I disagree!
Women should use their maiden name alongside their husband's name.
I always believed it should be dropped until experience from some women made me change my orientation on it.

What experience is that, please?
Re: Lawyers Advise Women To Drop Maiden Name After Marriage by carinmom(f): 1:28pm On Mar 16, 2019
Amberon11:
Change of name is just too time wasting and inconsequential. Moreover after change of name and the lady gets divorced what then happens? She begins the changing back to her maiden name? Lol
Re: Lawyers Advise Women To Drop Maiden Name After Marriage by may320: 1:30pm On Mar 16, 2019
Amberon11:
You are making a lot of sense.
Are Muslim ladies feminists as well?
Aside that, divorce is rampant nowadays with the kind of men we have in the society now, imagine the stress a woman will go thru having to change from the man's name again.
Re: Lawyers Advise Women To Drop Maiden Name After Marriage by sonature1: 1:33pm On Mar 16, 2019
chivera018:
the woman should not only change her name, let her also change her gender.

Marriage is not by force
Re: Lawyers Advise Women To Drop Maiden Name After Marriage by SEGLIZ: 1:36pm On Mar 16, 2019
Amberon11:
Can you tell us what verse of the Bible tells women to take on their husbands names?

don't be religious biased.
who says I'm a Christian?
can you then pick for me wherein the Bible speaks otherwise!?
well to your question, here goes the answer....... go to Ephesians 5:22 & 33
hope that will do for now or answers your question.
Re: Lawyers Advise Women To Drop Maiden Name After Marriage by Nobody: 1:37pm On Mar 16, 2019
Re: Lawyers Advise Women To Drop Maiden Name After Marriage by Daeylar(f): 1:57pm On Mar 16, 2019
I knew I wouldn't see a reasonable thing there. Just misogyny, patriarchy and stupidity given as reasons. From so called lawyers non the less

Building marriages on the backs of women's subjugation. Women must do this. Women must do that. If women doesn't do this. It would cause misunderstanding and divorce. Yet men are free and expected to do the same thing and receive no repercussions. No stress.
And it's OK to them?
But women are expected to stomach and love this according to that male and female idiot because submission is in the Bible. Smh

The misogyny and patriarchy of it all

1 Like

Re: Lawyers Advise Women To Drop Maiden Name After Marriage by Ugosample(m): 1:58pm On Mar 16, 2019
Omoluabi16:
If you are not ready to drop your maiden name, then remain in your father's house forever. Why are we Even discussing this? All this useless feminist who should be focusing on women emancipation and core issues like Rape, FGM and trafficking will be trying to prove what they are not. They think men are their biggest problem. Their wise mothers and Grandmothers got on peacefully and were fulfilled. Rubbish.

I don't mind my wife keeping her maiden name tho

But my kids must bear my last name

The name thing is no big deal to me
Re: Lawyers Advise Women To Drop Maiden Name After Marriage by Ugosample(m): 2:00pm On Mar 16, 2019
openmine:
Just like what the female lawyers said, its optional!
Just don't insist....ask if your hubby is okay with you adding your maiden name with his surname!

If he agrees,fine but if he doesn't,then there will definitely be a problem!
All these issues must be resolved before the couple get married to avoid unnecessary ego play!

For me,a lady having her Hubby's name does not diminish her qualities,skills or take away her self respect!

And besides,that maiden name she is bearing belonged to her father whom the mother kept willingly!

Its all about communication!

I think that is the key........

choice

Changing the name or not does not mean much

its a cultural thing and choice thing

2 Likes

Re: Lawyers Advise Women To Drop Maiden Name After Marriage by Omoluabi16(m): 2:03pm On Mar 16, 2019
Ugosample:

I don't mind my wife keeping her maiden name tho

But my kids must bear my last name

The name thing is no big deal to me
Well it's not a big deal, and yet it is. The most important thing should be a happy and successful marriage, but it's a bit odd if I and my kids have one name and she has another.We are a unit so should have one name. A woman bearing her Hubby's name has never been an issue so I wonder the need to challenge this.

1 Like

Re: Lawyers Advise Women To Drop Maiden Name After Marriage by Tedpgrass: 2:09pm On Mar 16, 2019
The individual context, not a blanket rule, should colour the final decision..

I know of several female professors who still bear their maiden names but bear their married names at social events. Its based on understanding and compromise.

A robust discussion should be held prenuptially so nothing comes along as a surprise. Your environment, religion, career prospects and prevailing social culture all have a bearing.

If there's potential fluidity in your situation dynamics, a double-barrelled name might be an adequate compromise.

Egos should be sacrificed at the altar of overall family progress.

Re: Lawyers Advise Women To Drop Maiden Name After Marriage by GoodGodmykeeper(m): 2:10pm On Mar 16, 2019
K.

CHECK MY SIGNATURE

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Rivers Man And His Wife Who Gave Birth Name Their Twins Atiku And Wike (pic) / As A Newly Married Man How Much should he Give his Wife For A Good Pot Of Soup / What Are Those House Chores That You Dont Like Doing?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.