Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,290 members, 7,829,661 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:13 AM

Lawyers Advise Women To Drop Maiden Name After Marriage - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Lawyers Advise Women To Drop Maiden Name After Marriage (28983 Views)

1 Year After Marriage, I Am Already Tired / Man Marries Lady Impregnated By Another Man. Finds Out After Marriage (Photos) / My Wife Is A Good Woman But Hates Sex After Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lawyers Advise Women To Drop Maiden Name After Marriage by midnighter(f): 6:50pm On Mar 16, 2019
YOLO18:

Nne, iji ya �. My mum's relatives still call by her maiden name

wink

1 Like

Re: Lawyers Advise Women To Drop Maiden Name After Marriage by Ugosample(m): 7:10pm On Mar 16, 2019
ElsonMorali:
Why would a lady want to keep her father's name after marrying?

Doesn't she love the husband enough to want to share his family name with him?

Where is the unity in the family when the husband and the kids bear a different surname than the woman of the house?

I'm not sure I'll want that for my family. If you don't love me enough to take on my name then move along. There are probably others who would love to.

yea

that's your choice and you are entitled to it

Those who want to keep their maiden name after marriage should br left to do so too

And for men like me who don't mind, we should also be left to our preference
Re: Lawyers Advise Women To Drop Maiden Name After Marriage by Xano(m): 7:27pm On Mar 16, 2019
“Under the marriage Act, there is no requirement for maiden name and there is also no law which permits the children to use their mother’s maiden name,” he said.

The most important section.
Re: Lawyers Advise Women To Drop Maiden Name After Marriage by ElsonMorali: 7:41pm On Mar 16, 2019
Ugosample:

yea

that's your choice and you are entitled to it

Those who want to keep their maiden name after marriage should br left to do so too

And for men like me who don't mind, we should also be left to our preference

Not stopping anyone from doing whatever...just stating my own opinions and preferences.
Re: Lawyers Advise Women To Drop Maiden Name After Marriage by Ugosample(m): 8:09pm On Mar 16, 2019
ElsonMorali:

Not stopping anyone from doing whatever...just stating my own opinions and preferences.

Better
Re: Lawyers Advise Women To Drop Maiden Name After Marriage by Ugosample(m): 8:22pm On Mar 16, 2019
Xano:
“Under the marriage Act, there is no requirement for maiden name and there is also no law which permits the children to use their mother’s maiden name,” he said.

The most important section.

did the law say otherwise?

like did the law state that a WOMAN cannot keep her maiden name?

If that is not the case

then the law is ambiguous
Re: Lawyers Advise Women To Drop Maiden Name After Marriage by Nobody: 9:15pm On Mar 16, 2019
2bitrus:

There after Esau look for blessing but was deny of it.what ever she become something is her father name that will be had

How many famous women do you know there husband, women show off when their husband make it, but men are hardly known when their wife make it.
Re: Lawyers Advise Women To Drop Maiden Name After Marriage by may320: 9:17pm On Mar 16, 2019
hartson:
so tell us what happened that made you think otherwise
Not interested in sharing it. Apologies.
Re: Lawyers Advise Women To Drop Maiden Name After Marriage by Omoluabi16(m): 9:21pm On Mar 16, 2019
ImaIma1:

That's why I don't buy this feminism thing especially as it seems to have to do with turning against men and making it seem like there is a competition between the two sexes.

Adopting husband's surname should not be a debate issue sincerely. Why am I holding on to my father's name? When it's not even my own name
Thank you jare. You are right.
Re: Lawyers Advise Women To Drop Maiden Name After Marriage by blindjustice13(m): 7:29am On Mar 17, 2019
Are they arguing according to the law or according to their culture and religious belief?. The law is not emotional and sensitive . All is see is a bunch of lawyers making statements influenced by their personal beliefs.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Things A Typical Nigerian Parent Won't Accept From Western Culture / Rivers Man And His Wife Who Gave Birth Name Their Twins Atiku And Wike (pic) / As A Newly Married Man How Much should he Give his Wife For A Good Pot Of Soup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.