Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,836 members, 7,810,214 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:11 AM

Some Of The Worst And Deadliest Air Disasters/Plane Crashes In History(Pics) - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Some Of The Worst And Deadliest Air Disasters/Plane Crashes In History(Pics) (43249 Views)

Russian Military Plane Crashes In Ivanovo With 15 Onboard; All Dead(photo) / What’s The Worst And Weirdest Experience You’ve Had At A Hotel? / Nigerian Air Force Plane Crashes In Kaduna State (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some Of The Worst And Deadliest Air Disasters/Plane Crashes In History(Pics) by joshuaidibia(m): 11:04am On Mar 16, 2019
Explorers:
“Failure saves lives. In the airline industry, every time a plane crashes the probability of the next crash is lowered by that.” —Nassim Nicholas Taleb

It’s been just over 100 years since the first scheduled commercial flight took place and since then flying as a means of travel has become increasingly popular and commonplace.

Millions of people fly every day and about 50 million tonnes of cargo is transported by air.

While flying is one of the safest ways to travel, the odds of dying in a plane crash are 1 in 1million.

* The safest seats are (usually) at the back of the plane.

* Most crashes occur during the first three or last eight minutes of the flight.

* You have about 90 seconds to exit a burning airplane.

https://m.ranker.com/list/worst-plane-crashes-in-history/eric-vega
https://www.factinate.com/things/40-tragic-facts-plane-crashes/

Add LOST Oceanic 815, from Sydney to Los Angeles.

1 Like

Re: Some Of The Worst And Deadliest Air Disasters/Plane Crashes In History(Pics) by panmunium(m): 11:09am On Mar 16, 2019
Damn it, never knew there were more deaths by air than via road
Re: Some Of The Worst And Deadliest Air Disasters/Plane Crashes In History(Pics) by noisy45(m): 11:13am On Mar 16, 2019
I'm just scared
Re: Some Of The Worst And Deadliest Air Disasters/Plane Crashes In History(Pics) by Artistree: 11:14am On Mar 16, 2019
decatalyst:

This is the most annoying one.

In fact all the airport safety official deserve to die by hanging! How can you compromise standard procedures in order to salvage a plane?

Unnecessary loss of human lives. cry
I tell you bro, I got angry at this particular tragedy...it was avoidable.
Re: Some Of The Worst And Deadliest Air Disasters/Plane Crashes In History(Pics) by Nobody: 11:16am On Mar 16, 2019
Explorers:
“Failure saves lives. In the airline industry, every time a plane crashes the probability of the next crash is lowered by that.” —Nassim Nicholas Taleb

It’s been just over 100 years since the first scheduled commercial flight took place and since then flying as a means of travel has become increasingly popular and commonplace.

Millions of people fly every day and about 50 million tonnes of cargo is transported by air.

While flying is one of the safest ways to travel, the odds of dying in a plane crash are 1 in 1million.

* The safest seats are (usually) at the back of the plane.

* Most crashes occur during the first three or last eight minutes of the flight.

* You have about 90 seconds to exit a burning airplane.

https://m.ranker.com/list/worst-plane-crashes-in-history/eric-vega
https://www.factinate.com/things/40-tragic-facts-plane-crashes/

Oga it's 1 to 11million not 1 to 1million.
Re: Some Of The Worst And Deadliest Air Disasters/Plane Crashes In History(Pics) by fapcrook(m): 11:23am On Mar 16, 2019
Why ate Sosoliso and Dana airllines not included?
Re: Some Of The Worst And Deadliest Air Disasters/Plane Crashes In History(Pics) by Shaev7(m): 11:26am On Mar 16, 2019
decatalyst:

This is the most annoying one.

In fact all the airport safety official deserve to die by hanging! How can you compromise standard procedures in order to salvage a plane?

Unnecessary loss of human lives. cry
I vex as I read am. Imagine. They were strolling...
Re: Some Of The Worst And Deadliest Air Disasters/Plane Crashes In History(Pics) by Shaev7(m): 11:27am On Mar 16, 2019
Amongst all, Kudos to British Airways no casualties! God continue to save us all.

1 Like

Re: Some Of The Worst And Deadliest Air Disasters/Plane Crashes In History(Pics) by Probz(m): 11:31am On Mar 16, 2019
panmunium:
Damn it, never knew there were more deaths by air than via road
That’s obviously not true is it.

1 Like

Re: Some Of The Worst And Deadliest Air Disasters/Plane Crashes In History(Pics) by vampire2020: 11:56am On Mar 16, 2019
Explorer what of Helios Airways Flight 522 embarassed embarassed
Re: Some Of The Worst And Deadliest Air Disasters/Plane Crashes In History(Pics) by PotatoSalad(m): 11:58am On Mar 16, 2019
Shaev7:
Amongst all, Kudos to British Airways no casualties! God continue to save us all.
Cos they are too good and take necessary precautions. You need to see their million pounds flight simulator
Re: Some Of The Worst And Deadliest Air Disasters/Plane Crashes In History(Pics) by cookingsoul(m): 12:00pm On Mar 16, 2019
come mr op so u want us to b having nightmares as all dis ur body count dey make me shiver.we will not die in an airplane ijn

2 Likes

Re: Some Of The Worst And Deadliest Air Disasters/Plane Crashes In History(Pics) by gonkin(m): 12:05pm On Mar 16, 2019
Re: Some Of The Worst And Deadliest Air Disasters/Plane Crashes In History(Pics) by Nobody: 12:07pm On Mar 16, 2019
This Boeing max is the only plane in history that killed the highest number of people.

Shitty upgrade
Re: Some Of The Worst And Deadliest Air Disasters/Plane Crashes In History(Pics) by gonkin(m): 12:07pm On Mar 16, 2019
If only teleportation wasn't fictional. Imagine getting to your destination before a finishing a meal

1 Like

Re: Some Of The Worst And Deadliest Air Disasters/Plane Crashes In History(Pics) by KendrickAyomide: 12:09pm On Mar 16, 2019
dazzlingd:

The thousands falling by your left and right aren't human beings ba, they don't go to church too ba.
Religion is just too selfish.
Well, I won't die in plane sha
i don talk my own.. keep crying .
Re: Some Of The Worst And Deadliest Air Disasters/Plane Crashes In History(Pics) by Sniperwallace07(m): 12:11pm On Mar 16, 2019
Most of the deaths, apart from natural causes, are being propelled by negligence... May their gentle souls rest in peace...
Re: Some Of The Worst And Deadliest Air Disasters/Plane Crashes In History(Pics) by roqrules04(m): 12:15pm On Mar 16, 2019
Who else watches 'Air crash investigation' episodes on Dstv ?
Menh those stuffs are scary asf

1 Like

Re: Some Of The Worst And Deadliest Air Disasters/Plane Crashes In History(Pics) by roqrules04(m): 12:16pm On Mar 16, 2019
gonkin:
If only teleportation wasn't fictional. Imagine getting to your destination before a finishing a meal

Or even before finishing a glass of water grin
Re: Some Of The Worst And Deadliest Air Disasters/Plane Crashes In History(Pics) by madridsta007(m): 12:24pm On Mar 16, 2019
Holarz:
One thing is still baffling me, why do all this plane crash without any attempt by the crew or passenger to parachute their way out because there are information that one can jump out of a crashing plane with a parachute or is it only in films that this is applicable, I really wish anybody with inside knowledge abt aeronautics can shed more light on this

There are many reasons why chutes are not given to passengers. Firstly, the cost of a parachute is $8000 which is even more than the business class cost of a long-haul flight. Secondly, a hundred people putting on and getting off a plane isn't practical; Who will train them on the skill? What of space constraint? What happens when they open the emergency doors and the plane depressurizes- what happen to the rest of the passengers who are unprepared? Again, in the best case scenario where the plane is at 30,000 to 37,000 feet in altitude, like the Air France Flight 744 which crashed over the Atlantic, a falling plane would probably fall at 10,000 feet per minute. That is between 3-4 minutes for a crash- not enough time to take out, wear a parachute and get off a crowded plane.

There are many reasons why this isn't practical.

4 Likes

Re: Some Of The Worst And Deadliest Air Disasters/Plane Crashes In History(Pics) by ThothHermes: 12:25pm On Mar 16, 2019
roqrules04:
Who else watches 'Air crash investigation' episodes on Dstv ?
Menh those stuffs are scary asf
I do. Love the show like mad. National geographic. There is another on the same channel: Seconds from disaster.
Re: Some Of The Worst And Deadliest Air Disasters/Plane Crashes In History(Pics) by sweerychick(f): 12:25pm On Mar 16, 2019
ayanbaba2:

waiting to see this!

have watched a documentary about this crash sometimes ago...

na real error from the 'control tower' man: the atmospheric conditions was bad and still went ahead to affirm takeoff without communicating with Pan am crew to stay off the runway!

those that survived were seated on the left wing(it may be the ring wing) of the plane (pan am)!

that KLM plane (dutch) was just having a stopover at the airport!
the casualties is likely 534 or 537 (memory loss)

RIP to them!
Nice compilation from you, Kudos!
wrong it was the KLM captain that was at fault, he was impatient and coupled with bad weather and technical glitch that hindered vital communication. Everyone died on the KLM and only about thirtysomething person on the Pan am.. the casualty was five hundred and eightysome thing I can really remember.. making it the worst disaster of all time

1 Like

Re: Some Of The Worst And Deadliest Air Disasters/Plane Crashes In History(Pics) by roqrules04(m): 12:36pm On Mar 16, 2019
ThothHermes:
I do. Love the show like mad. National geographic. There is another on the same channel: Seconds from disaster.

Yes 'seconds from disaster'. Damn scary!
Re: Some Of The Worst And Deadliest Air Disasters/Plane Crashes In History(Pics) by Herlertah(m): 12:46pm On Mar 16, 2019
Very informative piece

But why is Op using "crashes" instead of "crashed" and "are killed" instead of "were killed".

All these happened in the past now.....
Re: Some Of The Worst And Deadliest Air Disasters/Plane Crashes In History(Pics) by Nobody: 12:46pm On Mar 16, 2019
Soulsymbol99:
Sosoliso nko?

Was waiting to see sosoliso. One of the most tragic, with kids being the majority of the casualty.
Re: Some Of The Worst And Deadliest Air Disasters/Plane Crashes In History(Pics) by iguita: 1:40pm On Mar 16, 2019
Could I call this the dumbest plane related deaths? Can't believe this. After landing safely?
Explorers:
In 1980, a Lockheed L-1011-200 TriStar left Riyadh International Airport in Saudi Arabia.

Within seven minutes of takeoff, the crew received a warning that there was smoke in the aft cargo compartment.

After confirming smoke was reaching the cabin, the pilot decided to turn around and return to the airport.

The plane landed after just 20 minutes in the air but it was taxied on the runway instead of attempting an emergency stop.

The engines kept running throughout the whole process, and the delay in the evacuation resulted in the deaths of all 301 occupants due to smoke inhalation.
Re: Some Of The Worst And Deadliest Air Disasters/Plane Crashes In History(Pics) by mayten(m): 1:48pm On Mar 16, 2019
@explorers what of the sosliso plane crash
Re: Some Of The Worst And Deadliest Air Disasters/Plane Crashes In History(Pics) by Btruth: 2:09pm On Mar 16, 2019
namiji2598:
I DNT have Money to enter plane
just believe that you will fly in it one day.
Re: Some Of The Worst And Deadliest Air Disasters/Plane Crashes In History(Pics) by TourismMan(m): 2:10pm On Mar 16, 2019
Explorers:
Dana Air Flight 992 was a scheduled domestic commercial passenger flight from Abuja to Lagos, Nigeria.

On 3 June 2012, the McDonnell Douglas MD-83 aircraft serving the route crashed into buildings in Lagos while attempting an emergency landing, killing all 153 people on board and 6 on the ground.

False! This happened in 2005.
Re: Some Of The Worst And Deadliest Air Disasters/Plane Crashes In History(Pics) by namiji2598: 2:19pm On Mar 16, 2019
Btruth:
just believe that you will fly in it one day.
I believe
tnku so much for this

3 Likes

Re: Some Of The Worst And Deadliest Air Disasters/Plane Crashes In History(Pics) by Sholaystar4me(m): 3:02pm On Mar 16, 2019
About this, several investigations still finally pointed at America being the mastermind of this evil, and not Osama, but since it was the same time America was fighting this Terrorist group, they decided to blame it on the terrorists group. Indeed, "tomorrow doesn't promise today and the end of time is like an hour away" .

Anyways, nothing will stop me from flying out of this shit hole!

RIP to the dead!

Explorers:
Date: September 11, 2001

Cause: Terrorism

Deaths: 2,977

The events of 9-11 remain the single deadliest aviation incident in the history of flying, with nearly 3,000 people losing their lives in a single day.

Osama bin Laden, then leader of the terrorist organization Al-Qaeda, planned the attack.

Four commercial airliners were hijacked by 19 terrorists.

The terrorists piloted the planes with the aim of causing mass destruction across the United States.

Two planes intentionally struck and destroyed New York's Twin Towers, and a third crashed into the Pentagon building just outside of Washington, DC.

The final plane crashed into a field in Pennsylvania after passengers overpowered the terrorists on board.
Re: Some Of The Worst And Deadliest Air Disasters/Plane Crashes In History(Pics) by planetx: 3:44pm On Mar 16, 2019
First time I am reading of a Nigerian airways plane crashing in Saudi Arabia in 1991.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

10 Things To Know About Boarding The Lagos-Ibadan Train / N.d.l.e.a Drug Clearance / Commuters Forced To Ride On Horses On Mile12 - Ikorodu Road As Traffic Worsens

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.